Author Topic: Upcoming concert dilemma -- what would you do, DTF?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Upcoming concert dilemma -- what would you do, DTF?
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
There are a few cool shows coming up in about a month's time that I am interested in.  As often happens as we get older, life just becomes filled with other things, which are wonderful things, but which can limit the amount of otherwise free time we have.  So I am going to pick one, perhaps two shows at the most to go to, and am having difficulty choosing.  I will tell you what I am inclined to do and why, and anyone who wants to can tell me what they think and feel free to try to persuade me otherwise.

1.  Vai:  At first, I wasn't that eager to see him.  I like instrumental rock.  And Passion and Warfare was one of my favorite albums when it was out.  But, in general, seeing an entire set live of instrumental rock often bores me to tears.  But the more I have thought about this show, I realize that Vai is truly an exception.  He is such a great entertainer.  And I have never actually gotten to see him solo in person.  This is a rare opportunity in my own backyard, which pushes him up to the top.  Ticket price: $40.

2.  Queensryche:  If I had already seen the new lineup with Todd, this would be at the bottom of my list.  But I haven't seen the new lineup, and I would like to.  I am a bit offput by a lot of things surrounding the band, that's for sure.  But they are still sounding unbelievably good.  And, again, I haven't seen them yet with Todd, and I would like to.  And as much as I think it is maddening that they aren't playing the new material, Queensryche was my favorite band during the time when all these old songs were new.  Another downside is that I will get to the show late, so I will likely miss seeing Saint.  But I don't really care to see them, so that isn't an issue anyway.  I would basically be playing $33 to see Queensryche.

3.  Stryper:  I really like these guys.  I have only seen them live once.  And they are a great live band.  Add to that the fact that this is likely the last time I would be able to see them if they are truly hanging it up after this tour.  Notwithstanding all of that, the timing is just not convenient.  And as much as I like them, I just for some reason don't feel a burning desire to see them live.  That said, I am not writing this show off.  It would still be a great time.  And a good friend really wants me to go.  Price:  a very reasonable $34.

So all that being said, if you could pick ONE of these to go to, what would you do and why?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Upcoming concert dilemma -- what would you do, DTF?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
Easy. I'd pick Armored Saint!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
If QR isn't playing new material, then what's the point? The two most important members of that era are no longer with them. Armored Saint would likely blow them off the stage anyway.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
They are playing a couple of new songs.  And with Todd in the and, they are playing the old songs better than they ever have.  That's what the point is.  And Saint is a waste of time with not a single song I care about.  Clear?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
Btw, is that particular Stryper show being one of those anniversary shows where they are playing To Hell With The Devil in its entirety or something?  Depending on your thoughts of the album, that could influence your decision.

Honestly, all three looks appealing based on your thoughts.  I'd say just go to all three, but as you stated, sometimes we just don't have all the time in the world for that.  Just find out which one barely edges out the others based on your potential overall enjoyment of the concert and make a good decision.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:51:03 AM »
Vai, no two ways about it.  I'm seeing him for the first time in November and am stoked like you wouldn't believe.  P&W was like the bible when I was learning to play guitar.

After that, obviously, I'd say Stryper, then QR.

No surprises here, I suppose.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
A couple doesn't cut it.

But like you said, if you had seen them already, you might feel different. So go see QR. Definitely a good choice.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:59:36 AM »
Btw, is that particular Stryper show being one of those anniversary shows where they are playing To Hell With The Devil in its entirety or something?  Depending on your thoughts of the album, that could influence your decision.

Yes.  It is my favorite album of theirs.  But the thing is with them, they have always been one of those bands where on any given album, I like about half the songs and could do without the other half.  So the fact that they are playing the whole thing isn't THAT much of a big deal.  I mean, it kind of is, because they will be playing The Way and More Than A Man, which are two of my favorite songs from them, but are deep cuts that don't get much live play.  But that also means I will have to sit through All of Me and Holding On, so it's almost a wash.  :lol 

A couple doesn't cut it.

But like you said, if you had seen them already, you might feel different. So go see QR. Definitely a good choice.

Yeah, it SHOULD be more than a couple.  But here's the thing:  It doesn't look like they will EVER get back to emphasizing new material as heavily as they should.  So if I want to see them, and I do, I can't hold my breath waiting for a tour where they play all the new songs.  It's just not going to happen.  I dunno.  As much as they are touring, maybe I just tell myself to wait on another opportunity.  But as much as they are saturating the market, and as much as they refuse to play new stuff, I'm just not sure how many opportunities I am going to get.  Seems like every time they roll through town (or near town is more accurate; this show aside, they never actually come HERE), there is an excuse not to go.  I fear that I will eventually miss out and not have another opportunity, and this is a band I would regret not having seen.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:05:22 AM »
My vote is the top two just because everything else equal I'd rather get to see acts I hadn't seen before.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »
I'm 48 with four kids, and I've been blessed to see about 400 concerts in my life, so I'm sort of at the bucket list stage of my concert career.  I went and saw Sabbath a couple weeks ago, and Blackmore's night, in the second row (got to shake Ritchie's hand after the show!).   

I'd put Vai first by a long shot.    Even if you're bored with instrumental music, watching a master like that (especially if you can get up close) is a thing of beauty in and of itself.

For me, it's hard not to color my thoughts with the bands themselves; I like Queensryche, but not that into bands with replacement singers, and I like Michael Sweet but not that into Stryper.  I saw QR open for... it was either Kiss or Scorpions, on the Rage For Order tour (they SMOKED) and so I would be even less inclined to see the recent version.

Vai. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
I'd be for Stryper first.  Maybe it' because I haven't seen them since the 80's myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »
• Who have you seen before ?

• Who would you MOST like to see ?

• Who is playing the closest ?

• Which is the cheapest ?

• Who is the support ?

• Which is the best venue ?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
Personally, I would opt for the new QR lineup first (I haven't seen them since they toured with DT and FW), then Vai. I think Vai would be extremely entertaining even if you're not that into his music. He's a good showman on top of his absurd chops. Don't care at all about Stryper. I don't care for Armored Saint either, but I do feel inclined to support anything Joey Vera is involved in, because he's awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »
• Who have you seen before ?

Tricky question.  I have seen Queensryche a ton, but not this lineup, and I really want to see this lineup.  I have seen Stryper only once.  I have never seen Vai, other than his stint in Whitesnake.  So Vai sort of edges out the other two, but not by much.

Who would you MOST like to see ?

Well, that's really the kicker.  This is what I am having the most difficulty with.  There are different factors that make me list each of the bands above for completely different reasons.

Who is playing the closest ?

Same venue for all three.

Which is the cheapest ?

See above.  But it is only a $7 difference between the least and most expensive, so not much of an issue.

Who is the support ?

Vai:  Tony McAlpine.  Meh.  I know he's a master and all.  But little desire to see a solo set.
Queensryche:  Doesn't matter--I will miss the openers (and I don't care for Saint anyway).
Stryper:  None listed. 

So it is a wash.

Which is the best venue ?

Again, same venue for all three.

Really good questions.  Normally, these are the types of things I would factor in.  But as I've said, they are either non-factors here, or I have factored them in and am still having difficulty deciding.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
I dunno then.

I guess it comes down to who'd you be most upset about missing.

Flip a coin or something.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
I'd go for Vai, or Queensryche.

But if you haven't seen Vai, then that seems like the obvious one. Even though he's instrumental, his music is engaging and energetic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »
I would go for Queensryche and save for a ticket in the front rows with Vai.

With QR, you know what you are getting. They are playing songs that are great, even if it's not new material. The band is re energized. I haven't seen the new lineup but I think I will see them in November. I've seen Vai a couple of times and both of the times were kind of boring. You spent the few songs in awe because he's a great talent, but then it just feels the samey. But I did feel that maybe if I was seating closer to him, I would appreciate what he is doing. For me instrumental music depends a lot on actually seeing the players than only listening to the music. I saw God is an Astronaut a few weeks ago and the show was amazing. The fact that they were pulling the songs live was even better, and I was about 5 feet away from them. Tremendous show.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
Vai for sure. I have opportunities to see Stryper and Queensryche as well but I decided to go with Alter Bridge (TOMORROW!!!) and DT in Novemeber.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »
I'm 48 with four kids, and I've been blessed to see about 400 concerts in my life, so I'm sort of at the bucket list stage of my concert career.  I went and saw Sabbath a couple weeks ago, and Blackmore's night, in the second row (got to shake Ritchie's hand after the show!). 
Agreed. While I'm not really all that mindful of bucket lists, the fact is I'm younger than most of the guys I want to see and need to be jumping on the opportunities while I still can. The truth is that Steve Vai might find Jebus and give up the sinful world of rock and roll, and/or Michael Sweet might overdose in a motel room somewhere. I'm not going to assume other possibilities will necessarily come along.

Insofar as Bosk's dilemma goes, the only thing I can really comment on is that I share his disdain for a two hour set of instrumental guitar music. I've seen Satriani several times (never intentionally) and find him simultaneously fascinating and boring as all get out. I don't even bother with Yngwie shows anymore, despite my fondness for his music. The difference maker is usually with the backing band and how much room they're afforded to do their thing. If it's closer to an LTE sort of show where you've got four or five guys all whipping ass you couldn't keep me away (and the quality of guys who Vai will play with is never in doubt). If they're nothing more than ACDC providing a back-beat for noodling then you couldn't pay me to sit through it. Satch is always in the latter group. I don't know about Vai.

With all that said, it seems that McAlpine is opening the Sacramento show and that would add heavily to the Vai stack, IMO. Aquiles Priester is drumming for him, and that's a plus as well. I liked what I saw of him in the audition, despite him being reduced to filler for their reality show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »
Priester is awesome. The Hangar albums are excellent.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »
I am not seeing any info about the current band lineup.  Where did you find that bit about Priester playing with him?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »
I would go with Vai hands down.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »
QR for sure.
I'm going to see them in a couple of weeks, I was a little hesitant with the whole Tate fiasco leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

I looked on YT for live footage with Todd and was pretty amazed how good he is, how good the band sounds and some 'obscure' songs in the setlist.
I have little interest in any new material, I want to hear the classics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
I have little interest in any new material, I want to hear the classics.

Have you heard the new material?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
Its a toss up between Vai and queensryche.

I as well have not seen QR so that's a must on my list.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 02:20:38 PM »
I am not seeing any info about the current band lineup.  Where did you find that bit about Priester playing with him?
Priester's playing with Tony MacAlpine, who's opening up for Vai. Sorry for the ambiguity.

I can't find who's in Vai's band. I assume Wiener and Coleson will be involved, but not sure. Regardless, it'll be an extremely talented backing band that probably does very little.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 02:35:51 PM »
Oh, okay.

As far as Vai's backing band, his songs don't really allow for the backing band to do "little."  His stuff is pretty demanding.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »
I'm with Bosk1 and El Barto in that I don't think I could truly enjoy a 2 hours plus concert of instrumentals.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
I like all three so I'd be in the same position as you. I'd try to do all three th.

Vai with TMac supporting is a given.

I too have seen QR win Todd but they tour all the time, with the same set list pretty much so there'll be another chance there.

THWTD is a great album, despite all the god stuff. To see a whole album gig of it, plus other stuff, I'd go for that.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
One has to witness For The Love of God live at least once in his or her lifetime if time, money and health permits one to do so. It's the instrumental rock Hajj.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 01:10:15 AM »
I would rank it like this:

1. Steve Vai for the entertaining value, that man's a showman like few others

2. Queensryche has the best songs of the mentioned bands and with LaTorre a singer who can give them justice, but not a really surprising setlist (a little to much nostalgia for me)

3. Stryper, I always thought they were decent but not more.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 05:52:07 AM »
Stryper going on hiatus after this tour I think I read.  But I see you've never seen Vai live, it's quite an experience.  Well it was about 10 years ago, I'm sure he's live performance is still quality.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 06:38:08 AM »
Judging by any of the videos I've seen from this tour, yeah, he's on it.  He's also been doing some VR "duels" with other well known guitar players on several songs, which should be very cool.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2016, 06:46:15 AM »
Also:

Bass: Philip Bynoe
Guitar: Dave Weiner
Drums: Jeremy Colson