Author Topic: R.I.P Arnold Palmer  (Read 1205 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
R.I.P Arnold Palmer
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
I spent the day watching golf and loving every second of the finish of The Tour Championship. It was a great day for golf. And then this... It's a sad, sad day. The whole world, not just the golf or sports world, lost a great man.

(If you haven't seen it, check out the 3-part documentary "Arnie", and the follow up "Arnie and me", both narrated by Tom Selleck.)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: R.I.P Arnold Palmer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
RIP, sir. You lived a great life.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 08:32:55 PM »
Just read on ESPN he was the most important golfer in the history of the sport. Interesting distinction, and one I can't argue with.

Before my time to fully appreciate his game, but still appreciate his greatness.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:41:54 PM »
One day Moses and Jesus were playing golf. They come to a par 3, 190 yard hole, with a lake from tee to green.  Moses selects a 3 iron, swings, barely clears the water, but ends up about 30 feet from the pin.

Jesus pauses for a moment, and grabs a 5 iron.

"But, Jesus. It's not enough club.  My 3 iron shot barely cleared the pond."

"Nope. Arnie Palmer would use a 5," insisted Jesus.

Jesus swings, the shot is straight, but short, and ends up wet.  Jesus the strolls over to the lake and walks out on the water to locate his ball.  A foursome behind them sees this and one of them exclaims, "Who does he think he is? Jesus Christ?"

"No," says Moses, "Arnold Palmer."
Sorry, but I heard this eons ago, and often tell it when paired up with strangers.

I'm old enough to have watched him try for a tenth major.  A very humble 'ordinary' man who simply had 'IT'. 

I also enjoyed the McIlroy-Moore playoff.  Rory gets his FedEx Cup, which lost a bit of its luster today.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:52:52 AM »
A true Legend has passed....  Rest in Peace, Arnold. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
A true Legend has passed....  Rest in Peace, Arnold.

Exactly what I was going to say.  RIP.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »
I was lucky enough to follow him play a few rounds on the Champions tour in Concord Mass. in the 2000's.  Even during the round he looked at me and acknowledged me tipping my cap.  It is something I will never forget.  R.I.P. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »
That's really cool King.  :tup

I remember when my grandfather lived in the same country club as Arnold in Palm Desert California back in the early 80's.  That's about as close as I got.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 05:40:25 PM »
Back around '88 I was working for a formal catering company.  We were doing occasional charity Golf Tournaments.  We did one up in Los Angeles and I was running a hospitality tent right off the 9th green for the players.  The players would come in get refreshments and just relax for a min.  I met Arnold, along with Jack Nicklaus, Greg Norman, Chi Chi Rodriguez, and pretty much all the huge named guys of the time.  The highlight was definitly Arnold and Jack.  I managed to get my Brother a program signed by all the legends as they came through my tent.  At the time I wasn't a golfer.  Since, I've become one and threaten my brother constantly not to let me find that program... :lol