Author Topic: Living Colour returns!  (Read 4052 times)

Offline dparrott

Living Colour returns!
« on: September 23, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
New EP ("mixtape" they call it) featuring a cover of Who Shot Ya? by Notorious BIG.  They're still kickin ass after 30 years!  :metal
https://youtu.be/9Cp1NbyWYwQ
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Living Colour returns!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »
Awesome cover! Glad to see they are still around

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
Saw this when it came out.

Don't know the original song, but Living Colour does a great job with it.

Still need to pick up a copy of  A Chair In The Doorway.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »
... and the winner of the All-Time Fugliest Pick-Holding Technique Award is... VERNON REID!  Runner-up goes to Tom Morello.  Vernon Reid was also runner-up to Kirk Hammet in the "Too Much Wahhhhhhhh" category.

Unfortunately, the song doesn't do anything for me.  :(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:54:10 PM »
I have been listening to Vivid non stop the past few days. So damn good  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
I love every Living Colour album I've heard except A Chair In The Doorway which I don't have yet.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
I picked up Time's up two weeks ago and I love it

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:49:31 AM »
One of my all time favorite bands. They were supposed to release a full length entitled "Shade,"  a couple of years ago, but they never got around to finishing it.

The best three records are vivid, stain, and time's up, in no particular order. Collideoscope is a bit of a mess, and while Chair in the Doorway has some good stuff (Burned Bridges is huge, and Vernon Reid shreds), the mix and production are awful, and the guitars (like on said solo in burned bridges) are buried.

However, they are INCREDIBLE live, and hopefully they get back to making just as great studio records soon. Corey Glover has one of the best voices in the history of rock and metal, bar none. And Vernon Reid can play circles around many of these supposed prog/shred guitar gods people talk about. The guy was legit while most of them were in grade school.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »
The only song I've ever heard by these guys was Cult of Personality.
Where should I start?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
Where should I start?

Get the album Vivid first. That's where I started. After a few listens, I was addicted.

Besides cult of personality, Middle man, Desperate people and funny vibe are three of my favorites off that album, but the whole thing is great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 05:26:05 PM »
Where should I start?

Get the album Vivid first. That's where I started. After a few listens, I was addicted.

Besides cult of personality, Middle man, Desperate people and funny vibe are three of my favorites off that album, but the whole thing is great.

I'd go in chronological order:

Vivid
Times Up
Stain
Collideoscope

Still don't have A Chair In The Doorway...yet.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »
Get chair inside the doorway. You're really missing out. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »
Get chair inside the doorway. You're really missing out.

I fully intend to. But there is so much music out there.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:13:47 AM by ytserush »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 01:26:31 AM »
Yes there is. Still an increddible band, though!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
I picked up collideųscope since I have listened to the living shit out of their first 3 albums and needed MORE. Its actually pretty solid.

I LOVE this band  :heart

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
I picked up collideųscope since I have listened to the living shit out of their first 3 albums and needed MORE. Its actually pretty solid.

I LOVE this band  :heart

Being a hardcore, I jumped on Collideoscope when it came out, but I ultimately really don't enjoy the record a ton. "Flying" is the best song, and being a native NYer, the tune has always creeped me out. Solid, solid song, but tough to listen to. "Sacred Ground" was something they had lying around for awhile, but I dig that too. I think the other tunes are OK, but overall, I probably vote for Collideoscope being their worst record, personally. The covers of Back in Black and Tomorrow Never Knows are really good, but other than Flying and Sacred Ground, I could pass on the rest.

I really enjoyed The Chair in the Doorway a lot more...except the mix was horrendous. Vernon absolutely shreds in Burned Bridges, and the guitars are pushed all the way to the back.  :facepalm:

I'm really looking forward to Shade, whenever they finally put it out there. I've seen Living Colour live a ton of times, and they are always a must see band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
May as well be consistent and say I still don't have Chair yet!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
I like it too. The record sounds MUCH better produced than the last couple. The song is decent. I think the best is yet to come. Living Colour is so varied, so you never know what you're gonna get.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Still no Chair.....ha ha. I better get on that!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »

honestly, the production sucks. Burned Bridges is amazing, and vernon fucking goes off like a madman...but yiu can barely hear him.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »

honestly, the production sucks. Burned Bridges is amazing, and vernon fucking goes off like a madman...but yiu can barely hear him.

I'll just have to deal with it then!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 06:53:02 AM »
Today is out Living Colour's Shade. My first impression it's really superior than Collideoscope and The Chair in The Doorway, records which I like a lot, but they are kind of a more "mature" Living Colour. On Shade that younger agressivity and intricate drumming from the first 3 records are back which I'm very happy with!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:00:31 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »
From first impressions, I definitely feel like its a step up from the previous two albums. Feels more inspired to a degree and I love the agressive edge to it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »
Pumped to hear it. My copy arrives today. I'll check it out tonight. Been avoiding the songs except for a couple I already heard live over the past few years from them. Love what you guys are saying though...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »
Will be spinning on Spotify today or sometime over the weekend.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bill1971

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:26 AM »
On first spin, I love it! Not big on comparing albums because it's early but definitely an amazing album.Out of the 13 songs, I don't think there is a weak one on there. I do wish that there wasn't that long talking into to Program, it was cool the 1st time but gets old. That is a song that was released ahead of time. Anyhow, very aggressive at times, very bluesy and of course great solid rock.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 11:29:51 AM »
Listened through the new record once, pretty good first impression! The band sounds killer.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
I forgot about AutoRip from Amazon, so yep, I had it in my account and listened to it twice already. I really like it. The production is 1000x better than the last two records, it has aggressive moments (some great guitar work, obviously) and the songs are pretty dynamic. Need to listen more. I'm not picking out any standout moments yet, but that's OK. I'll let the whole thing resonate for a while.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
Really like this quote from Vernon in an interview.

Paste: Living Colour has been out on the road recently. What kind of sense do you get for where the country is at these days?

Vernon Reid: There’s a really, really interesting tension. There’s a tendency to think of Trump voters as one particular thing. Now I’m not into Donald Trump—can’t stand him. But this whole idea of castigating the people who voted for him and being paternalistic toward them is wrong-headed. It just deepens the divide. We have to get past all the name-calling

Just a very open minded response. Not trying to make this thread political but just like the openness of it. Very refreshing.

Second time through. That Always Wrong chorus is fantastic. Two Sides is such a great way to end the album. Very bluesy and moving.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »

Paste: Living Colour has been out on the road recently. What kind of sense do you get for where the country is at these days?

Vernon Reid: There’s a really, really interesting tension. There’s a tendency to think of Trump voters as one particular thing. Now I’m not into Donald Trump—can’t stand him. But this whole idea of castigating the people who voted for him and being paternalistic toward them is wrong-headed. It just deepens the divide. We have to get past all the name-calling

Just a very open minded response. Not trying to make this thread political but just like the openness of it. Very refreshing.

Second time through. That Always Wrong chorus is fantastic. Two Sides is such a great way to end the album. Very bluesy and moving.

Agreed on all counts. Love Two Sides as a closer. Just perfect.

I don't always agree with Corey and Vernon, but I respect the hell out of both of them. They truly do think about things pretty deeply. Vernon is spot on with that quote.

I just got through spin #3...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:49 PM »

Agreed on all counts. Love Two Sides as a closer. Just perfect.

I don't always agree with Corey and Vernon, but I respect the hell out of both of them. They truly do think about things pretty deeply. Vernon is spot on with that quote.

I just got through spin #3...

Spin 3??  Damn, I have to catch up.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
Listened about 3 more times this weekend. Really strong album top to bottom. Can't wait to hear these songs live.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 11:27:03 AM »
Managed to listen to it once in full on the weekend. Yeah, it is a really strong record. I'm noticing things on subsequent plays of the album, which is always a good thing. I don't think it gets up to the level of the first three (Vivid, Time's Up, or Stain), but I didn't expect it to. What I love is how well produced and mixed it is. You can hear Vernon, and the band sounds incredibly energized.

They need to have Collideoscope and especially Chair in the Doorway remixed. "Burned Bridges" from the latter is one of Vernon's (and the band as a whole) finer moments IMO, and you can barely hear Vernon.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
Managed to listen to it once in full on the weekend. Yeah, it is a really strong record. I'm noticing things on subsequent plays of the album, which is always a good thing. I don't think it gets up to the level of the first three (Vivid, Time's Up, or Stain), but I didn't expect it to. What I love is how well produced and mixed it is. You can hear Vernon, and the band sounds incredibly energized.

They need to have Collideoscope and especially Chair in the Doorway remixed. "Burned Bridges" from the latter is one of Vernon's (and the band as a whole) finer moments IMO, and you can barely hear Vernon.

It's strange that those two albums get almost no love live. They played Flying a few years ago which was amazing(appropriate today) and occasionally Behind the Sun, which is one of my favorites. When I saw them last a few months ago when they asked for requests. I said Behind the Sun and Doug said something like Vernon loves that song and can play it all night. Someone else said Decadence from the same album and Doug(who was holding the mic to the people) said that no one but him remembers how to play that song.  If you're curious they wound up playing Glamour Boys. I have no idea if that was pre planned, but it was not on the set list.

As far as the new album, yes every new listen you pick up on new things. Preachin' Blues has some really great sounding bass guitar.