Author Topic: Act of Faythe sounds like a theme from a Japanese Movie  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Pfnerch

Act of Faythe sounds like a theme from a Japanese Movie
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:05:15 PM »
 I figured out that Act of Faythe sounds very very similar to a Japanese Movie Hymne called Doctor Stranger " The meaning of tears".
https://youtu.be/xP6VMdMR3rQ
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:39:46 AM by Pfnerch »

Offline Evai

Re: Act of Faythe sounds like a theme from a Japanese Movie
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:36:44 PM »
Nuggetz

I'm gonna say coincidence, it's a simple major scale melody, something that catchy had to be used before.

Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:42 PM »
It does sound very similar, due to being strings playing the same descending line, but yeah, very unlikely to be intentional. Probably just a hell of a coincidence to have such a simple melody arranged very similarly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pfnerch

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:35:06 AM »
coincidence? really? no I don't think that's coincidence. that's a cover arrangement for me. just take a song nobody knows and  arrange it a little bit different. I don't think that's a coincidence to be true.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:33:33 AM »
The descending strings and the next line indeed are similar, but it's not like there's anything extravagant going on. It's a reasonably simple melody following the chords, that's why it's effective. Something akin to that line has most likely been used many many times before. The contrasting line after 1:18 surprised me much more as it's somewhat reminiscent of the vocal line introduced in The Answer. Interesting find!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Evai

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 03:16:10 AM »
Hmm... maybe this explains why Petrucci was hesitant to play the 'basic melody' of it in Inside The Astonishing, and opted to cover it up with bends  :rollin
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 05:42:25 AM »
Hmm... maybe this explains why Petrucci was hesitant to play the 'basic melody' of it in Inside The Astonishing, and opted to cover it up with bends  :rollin

Don't know if serious, but I think the OP is onto something and should sue the band.....How long has it been since we last had a newcomer coming up with another plagiarisme theory?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:20 AM »

Don't know if serious, but I think the OP is onto something and should sue the band.....How long has it been since we last had a newcomer coming up with another plagiarisme theory?

B.Lee

I recall some guy signing up to repeatedly let us know The Astonishing story ripped off his band's concept album. Any since then? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:07:24 AM »

B.Lee

I recall some guy signing up to repeatedly let us know The Astonishing story ripped off his band's concept album. Any since then? :lol

Can't remember, but too lazy to search. Didn't know about that one. How in the hell coul I have missed it? :lol
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »

Offline Evai

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
I'll take my tinfoil hat off and propose a different theory: Faythe's iPod was loaded with Japanese movie soundtracks, so obviously her theme is going to reflect that.  Clever use of a motif