Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251505 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3255 on: July 23, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »
Barton was sent to assassinate her, but they formed a friendship and bond instead

Is this MCU canon, Marvel comics canon, both (, neither)?

MCU canon referenced in Avengers. Stated by Natasha.

Thanks.  In that case, I probably knew but already had forgotten that detail.  But apparently it's not a mystery what happened in Budapest, just that some people would like more details.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3256 on: July 23, 2019, 06:38:44 PM »
Honestly, we don't need to see it. Remember when things didn't have to be shown in detail? When we could watch Casablanca without demanding the prequel to perfectly explain everything that movie references as a given?

If Hawkeye isn't in this movie, that's cool. Dude's getting a show. He's supposed to be on house arrest then anyway. At most, it'll be a quick phone call or something. Let Natasha do her own thing. She don't need no man -snaps fingers-.

Looking forward to Taskmaster. Hope they give him personality though and not just another angry baddy. Dude has a fun personality in the comics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3257 on: July 23, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
Whatever. They’ve been teasing us about their relationship for years. Maybe YOU don’t need to see it, but I think it’d be a great flick. I don’t understand your comment about house arrest. Surely you know the BW movie is set years in the past seeing as how she’s, you know, very dead?

Online Adami

« Reply #3258 on: July 23, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
Whatever. They’ve been teasing us about their relationship for years. Maybe YOU don’t need to see it, but I think it’d be a great flick. I don’t understand your comment about house arrest. Surely you know the BW movie is set years in the past seeing as how she’s, you know, very dead?

It’s set between civil war and infinity war. When he was on house arrest. Hence my comment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3259 on: July 23, 2019, 10:10:41 PM »

It’s set between civil war and infinity war. When he was on house arrest. Hence my comment.

Source? :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3261 on: July 24, 2019, 04:58:05 AM »

Yeah, thought I heard set in the ‘90s shortly after her red-room graduation.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3262 on: July 24, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »

Yeah, thought I heard set in the ‘90s shortly after her red-room graduation.

I heard the same thing, that’s why I was asking :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3263 on: July 24, 2019, 09:33:02 AM »
Well, according to the article, we will learn more about Budapest

Meanwhile, the Black Widow movie will see the superhero in Budapest, a location which has been referenced previously in the MCU.

With the city confirmed for the prequel, it also appears we will learn a bit more about the events of Budapest
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

« Reply #3264 on: July 24, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »
So, I've been reflecting on Phase 4, and I think it's actually a very smart move.

No Avengers films. No HUGE event films.

I think, at this point, they can confidently make movies for a phase that aren't all billion dollar explosions at the box office. They can scale back a bit and focus on the characters, instead of the next big thing. They might lose some people, but I'd rather they focus on quality than playing directly to fans who just want big big BIG events and risking lowering quality to meet that.

So I'm happy with Phase 4. I'm sure Phase 5 will have some more big names in it, such as Black Panther, Guardians, etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3265 on: July 24, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
I'm not so sure that's the best move for an entire "phase."  But I guess time will tell.  But I guess ultimately, they've built up so much goodwill and made so much money that even if all of phase 4 is deemed a "failure" by having only moderate success, they can more than afford to just tread water for awhile and expand the universe while allowing any "Avengers fatigue" to subside before ramping up for the next big thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #3266 on: July 24, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »
I'm not so sure that's the best move for an entire "phase."  But I guess time will tell.  But I guess ultimately, they've built up so much goodwill and made so much money that even if all of phase 4 is deemed a "failure" by having only moderate success, they can more than afford to just tread water for awhile and expand the universe while allowing any "Avengers fatigue" to subside before ramping up for the next big thing.

Well after Endgame, they can either try to go bigger, or go much smaller. I think any attempt to go bigger would be a failure right now. They have to lay a lot of groundwork for anything bigger to really hit home. I think this is them doing that. Investing in (mostly) new characters to lay new ground before melding it with the surviving older characters in Phase 5.

Maybe it will be a failure, I dunno. But I hope we're not at a point where anything less than Infinity War/Endgame box office is considered a failure. It seems they are changing their goals for this phase and it works just fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3267 on: July 24, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »
I hear you.  And for reasons I've already stated, I can't disagree much.  As I said, I personally am not very excited for most of this phase.  But I'm also perfectly okay with not being very excited for it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #3268 on: July 24, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »
I hear you.  And for reasons I've already stated, I can't disagree much.  As I said, I personally am not very excited for most of this phase.  But I'm also perfectly okay with not being very excited for it.

Totally. I think it's also a nice chance for Marvel to essentially challenge themselves. Not hard to get people excited about a new Avengers or Captain American movie, or even a movie you KNOW will have consequences on the next Avengers movie, you know? But a new Shang Chi movie? Eternals? They gotta put some effort into making these movies good and exciting. They can't rest so much anymore on pure association. I look forward to seeing how they do that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3269 on: July 24, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »
Yup.  And also:

They've planted the seeds for some or all of these stories already, so there definitely will be that connective tissue that will likely make these much more appealing once we get trailers and news about the specific stories. 

AND there's also the fact that the present leadership have just shown a knack for good stories and good presentation.  I know I am in a pretty significant majority that was very underwhelmed by the initial announcement of the first Guardians of the Galaxy film.  And look at how that turned out.  With 2 Guardians films in the rearview mirror and appearances in the last 2 Avengers films, the Guardians franchise is perhaps one of the most popular and beloved in the MCU.  Marvel just generally does right by these stories and characters.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3270 on: July 24, 2019, 10:36:54 AM »
So, I've been reflecting on Phase 4, and I think it's actually a very smart move.

I think, at this point, they can confidently make movies for a phase that aren't all billion dollar explosions at the box office. They can scale back a bit and focus on the characters, instead of the next big thing. They might lose some people, but I'd rather they focus on quality than playing directly to fans who just want big big BIG events and risking lowering quality to meet that.

So I'm happy with Phase 4. I'm sure Phase 5 will have some more big names in it, such as Black Panther, Guardians, etc.

I agree. Honestly I didn't even want any Avengers movies for phase 4. To me phase 4 has always been about picking up the pieces in the wake of Thanos and the Infinity War, so I'm very happy they're not shoehorning in massive events, and are giving the universe (multiverse?) some breathing room before bringing in the heavy hitters (X-Men and co.) for another massive arc. So you think Guardians 3 is definitely reserved for phase 5? I really wonder how big a monkey wrench the James Gunn thing threw into the mix; I always assumed Guardians 3 would introduce Adam Warlock, and they'd do that in phase 4 as one of the first big steps towards a massive arc in phase 5. But now... hmm.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3271 on: July 24, 2019, 10:42:18 AM »
I'm not so sure that's the best move for an entire "phase." 
There's no reason to believe that the fully announced films are the entirety of Phase 4. Perfectly possible there's a big event film later in the phase.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #3272 on: July 24, 2019, 10:43:22 AM »
There's no reason to believe that the fully announced films are the entirety of Phase 4. Perfectly possible there's a big event film later in the phase.

Possible, but Kevin said that what was released was the complete Phase 4 line up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: July 24, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »
I was pretty excited to see that Blade logo and to hear that a quality actor like Mahershala Ali was not only on board but actively sought the role. On second thought, I'm wondering how a character like Blade and his universe would dovetail with the MCU, really. I'd also be concerned about how (extra) campy a PG13 Blade movie would be. Without the blood and gore the stories would loose too much of the horror element. Not that they won't do an R rated move, they just might, but again that wouldn't really mesh well with the larger MCU. They must have some idea on how to make it work...I guess I'll just need to have a little faith.

One things for sure, Ali better start weight lifting now and eating a lot of protein. Blade fans expect a certain amount of musculature to the character. I always thought Mike Colter would have made a great Blade but that wouldn't work now that he's associated with Luke Cage.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3274 on: July 24, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
What if Blade has no connection to the MCU/MCM? Like Deadpool, kinda? His own standalone thing. Has Marvel ever said they'd do that with their characters? Seems like a perfect time to work on a character who's doing his own thing... unless all of these films are supposed to take place in the same interconnected world.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3275 on: July 24, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »

It feels like Stage one again.  Building characters, building the stage.  We get to see characters grow again.  I'm down with it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3276 on: July 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »
I'd also be concerned about how (extra) campy a PG13 Blade movie would be. Without the blood and gore the stories would loose too much of the horror element. Not that they won't do an R rated move, they just might, but again that wouldn't really mesh well with the larger MCU. They must have some idea on how to make it work...I guess I'll just need to have a little faith.

Well, apparently, the Dr. Strange film is supposed to be in the horror genre as well, so it certainly seems like Marvel has a plan for this type/tone of film in its universe.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3277 on: July 24, 2019, 01:35:37 PM »

Possible, but Kevin said that what was released was the complete Phase 4 line up.
I thought that included the ones that were mentioned but didn't have big announcements with logos and release dates etc. Some of those seemed like almost just passing mentions ("and we didn't even have time to talk about Mutants...") so I dunno, I'm not assuming anything at this stage.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #3278 on: July 24, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »

I thought that included the ones that were mentioned but didn't have big announcements with logos and release dates etc. Some of those seemed like almost just passing mentions ("and we didn't even have time to talk about Mutants...") so I dunno, I'm not assuming anything at this stage.

I'm honestly not sure what this means.

The Mutants thing, and the FF and Blade are (as far as I know) not Phase 4 stuff. Maybe Phase 5 or Phase 6.

I think it's safe to assume that what we saw was complete Phase 4 and that they'll use that plus the next two phases to create the big event.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3279 on: July 24, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »

I'm honestly not sure what this means.

I think what he means is:  The statement was just vague/imprecise enough that it left room for interpretation as to whether this is a "complete" list, a semi-complete list subject to other known or presently-unknown additions, or something else. 

And that doesn't even take into account that circumstances just sometimes arise that cause plans to change.  Even if it is contemplated right now that what we were told comprises the complete phase 4, things could happen that could cause films to be added or dropped, or for the order to change.  It wouldn't be the first time.

Online Adami

« Reply #3280 on: July 24, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
I mean, I don't see how "this is complete" could mean "this isn't complete."

As far as changes go, I totally agree. However, there's a difference between say "Thor's script changed and now it's something else" and "We just randomly decided to make Avengers 5: Galactus eats Earth" and are adding it!

A big Avengers film or event film is not going to be added later unless they are purposefully withholding it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3281 on: July 24, 2019, 02:06:18 PM »
Only 5 films had release dates, spanning just 2 years. If that's the entirety of phase 4, that's kind of odd.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #3282 on: July 24, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
Only 5 films had release dates, spanning just 2 years. If that's the entirety of phase 4, that's kind of odd.

Yes, however it seems that they are taking a new approach with the Disney + shows. I think that they consider those to be integral parts of the phase, unlike previous shows which were just kind of there and didn't matter at all. They said WandaVision directly informs Dr. Strange 2, etc. So It seems Phase 4 is half movies/half TV.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3283 on: July 24, 2019, 02:11:43 PM »
Could be. Still seems a very short period of time though, only 2 years. I guess time will tell!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3284 on: July 24, 2019, 02:14:26 PM »
I mean, I don't see how "this is complete" could mean "this isn't complete."

As far as changes go, I totally agree. However, there's a difference between say "Thor's script changed and now it's something else" and "We just randomly decided to make Avengers 5: Galactus eats Earth" and are adding it!

A big Avengers film or event film is not going to be added later unless they are purposefully withholding it.
I'm not talking about changes in script.  I'm talking about the film release schedule being altered, which has happened.  For example, Ant Man was originally supposed to be in phase 1.  Ultron was not supposed to show up on phase 2.  The Eternals were going to be in phase 3.  So was the Inhumans movie.  Spider Man was added in after the fact.  Etc.

Stuff happens.  Things change.  That's life.

But as for your last point, I'm not talking about an Avengers or "big event" film, and I don't think ariich is either.  That's completely irrelevant to whether, by the time we get to the end of phase 4, the list of films/shows is identical to what we have now.

Online Adami

« Reply #3285 on: July 24, 2019, 02:19:56 PM »
Oh, then I misunderstood. I thought Rich was saying that Marvel could still put more big even films or something in there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3286 on: July 24, 2019, 03:06:00 PM »
To be clear, I wasn't saying that I think they *will* do that, only that they *could*, either because things change (as bosk says) or because they're holding something back.

Even that is based on Phase 4 lasting longer than two years, as nothing is yet confirmed beyond that. However, if Phase 4 is genuinely that short then I agree it's very unlikely anything would be changed or added at such short notice.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3287 on: July 24, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
Marvel has basically admitted that announcing the two Avengers movies to end phase 3 years in advance was a mistake. I could see there being some sort of big team up movie, whether it's called Avengers or not, to end phase 4 that doesn't get announced for a while.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3288 on: July 24, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
Started JJ S3, so far very slow
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3289 on: July 26, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
Something I'd like to see in Phase 4 is more world building, and by that I mean small cameos from other heroes. They don't even have to be speaking parts, just news footage or something. Dr. Strange is watching the news, and there's a report of Spider-man stopping The Kingpin, or Dr. Richards develops such and such. I think that'd be really cool. We've sort of seen it before as easter eggs, but after 10 years and a bunch of solo films that really don't acknowledge other heroes other than name or location drops, it's time to see them interact in the world.