Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248376 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2065 on: December 11, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
Finally watched Deadpool 2 the other day.

I don't know.  I like the idea of a character breaking the fourth wall, and I find a lot of things about the tone pretty amusing, like constant F-bombs and graphic violence against a backdrop of cheesy Air Supply songs and shit like that, or other things that you really don't expect from a Marvel property.  But a couple of times I found myself thinking that he's winking just a few more times than necessary, that maybe it would be nice to just, you know, watch a movie, without being constantly reminded that it's a movie, that it's being made to entertain, that he's doing everything he can think of to entertain, and that all this schtick is funny.  The first one worked because it was novel.  This time he couldn't just do more of the same, so he gave us more of the same but took it farther and more often, which isn't really the answer.

Plus, Vanessa.  Sorry, but if that was supposed to be a shocker... okay, it was, but it also sucked half the life out of the movie.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2066 on: December 12, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »
So it’s being reported that Netflix had a clause in their contract with marvel that those characters couldn’t appear in any non Netflix-Marvel shows for two years after cancellation. Guess that explains why they didn’t show in movies and that they won’t be showing up anywhere anytime soon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2067 on: December 12, 2018, 07:57:22 PM »
So it’s being reported that Netflix had a clause in their contract with marvel that those characters couldn’t appear in any non Netflix-Marvel shows for two years after cancellation. Guess that explains why they didn’t show in movies and that they won’t be showing up anywhere anytime soon.

That's unexpected and sad :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2068 on: December 13, 2018, 07:40:23 AM »

Yeah, I saw this too. Really not happy about that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2069 on: December 13, 2018, 12:49:10 PM »
That's like that no compete clause WWE has in their contracts. "You're fired. Enjoy 90 days without income."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2070 on: December 13, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »

Yeah, I saw this too. Really not happy about that.

I would think that with the amount of $$$ that Disney has....if they REALLY wanted those characters to be involved in a movie/series prior to them being free from any prior contract with Netflix.....they'd find a way to make it happen.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

« Reply #2071 on: December 13, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
Pretty sure Disney doesn’t see those characters as SUCH a need that they’ll spend tons of money to get them. They’re fine waiting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2072 on: December 13, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »
Pretty sure Disney doesn’t see those characters as SUCH a need that they’ll spend tons of money to get them. They’re fine waiting.

I agree. I was just saying that if they really wanted to make something with them in it prior to the contract expiring....they'd find a way.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2073 on: December 14, 2018, 02:16:22 PM »
I just realized something about the Endgame trailer.  This isn't spoilery, but I am fairly certain this is true, and it is in direction contradiction to what the trailer wants viewers to think.  Using tiny font for people who wouldn't want to have figured this out, in the (IMO, very likely) event this ends up being true:

I think the footage of Scott in the trailer's stinger is NOT Scott after escaping the quantum realm.  Rather, it is from before he went there in the first place.  If I had to guess, I would say it is in the short timeframe between him being released from house arrest and the time we see him go into the quantum realm in the end-credits scene.  But it doesn't really matter either way.  So, contrary to what the Endgame trailer seems to want us to think, I don't think at all that that scene indicates that Scott escapes the quantum realm all on his own and shows up to save the day.
 That scene is made out in the trailer to be HIGHLY significant.  But it would not surprise me at all if it isn't really significant at all, or if its significance is something completely different than what the trailer implies. 

A couple of other things I thought of:

Something is up with Tony's armor.  The suit he has is nanotech.  From everything we saw of it in Infinity War, it seemed like any damage could almost-instantly be repaired, provided there were sufficient nanoparts to cover that damaged area.  So...why does the helmet Tony uses to record his message to Pepper appear to be so damaged and battered?  Something different appears to have happened rather than Tony just being stranded on Benatar immediately after Infinity War.

And
Not related to the trailer, but...regarding the time stone:  In the months after Infinity War, I have seen people note that the stone was glowing when Strange gave it to Thanos, indicating that it was somehow activated and doing something.  I'm not so sure, but let's roll with that idea for a second.  The theories I have seen about that are along the lines of the stone itself traveling through time, so that another version is sent backward or forward to some other point in time so that it could be given to the Avengers to stop Thanos.  I have a slightly more mundane possible explanation.  The stone was being used, but not for time travel--at least, not in the same sense.  Going back to Strange viewing the 14 million scenarios, maybe what he was doing was actively using the stone at that point to continue viewing the scenarios so that he could continue guiding everything down the correct path that led to the only winning outcome.  So, if true, he was actually using the stone to "travel," but not in reverse or at an accelerated pace or whatever.  But was using it more to navigate through time at normal speed down all the branching possibilities and stay on the one path he wanted.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:37:16 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2074 on: December 14, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »
I just realized something about the Endgame trailer.  This isn't spoilery, but I am fairly certain this is true, and it is in direction contradiction to what the trailer wants viewers to think.  Using tiny font for people who wouldn't want to have figured this out, in the (IMO, very likely) event this ends up being true:

I think the footage of Scott in the trailer's stinger is NOT Scott after escaping the quantum realm.  Rather, it is from before he went there in the first place.  If I had to guess, I would say it is in the short timeframe between him being released from house arrest and the time we see him go into the quantum realm in the end-credits scene.  But it doesn't really matter either way.  So, contrary to what the Endgame trailer seems to want us to think, I don't think at all that that scene indicates that Scott escapes the quantum realm all on his own and shows up to save the day.
 That scene is made out in the trailer to be HIGHLY significant.  But it would not surprise me at all if it isn't really significant at all, or if its significance is something completely different than what the trailer implies. 

Something is up with Tony's armor.  The suit he has is nanotech.  From everything we saw of it in Infinity War, it seemed like any damage could almost-instantly be repaired, provided there were sufficient nanoparts to cover that damaged area.  So...why does the helmet Tony uses to record his message to Pepper appear to be so damaged and battered?  Something different appears to have happened rather than Tony just being stranded on Benatar immediately after Infinity War.

And
Not related to the trailer, but...regarding the time stone:  In the months after Infinity War, I have seen people note that the stone was glowing when Strange gave it to Thanos, indicating that it was somehow activated and doing something.  I'm not so sure, but let's roll with that idea for a second.  The theories I have seen about that are along the lines of the stone itself traveling through time, so that another version is sent backward or forward to some other point in time so that it could be given to the Avengers to stop Thanos.  I have a slightly more mundane possible explanation.  The stone was being used, but not for time travel--at least, not in the same sense.  Going back to Strange viewing the 14 million scenarios, maybe what he was doing was actively using the stone at that point to continue viewing the scenarios so that he could continue guiding everything down the correct path that led to the only winning outcome.  So, if true, he was actually using the stone to "travel," but not in reverse or at an accelerated pace or whatever.  But was using it more to navigate through time at normal speed down all the branching possibilities and stay on the one path he wanted.

I'll reply with 1, 2 and 3 to make my job easier and cause I'm lazy.

1) When they see Scott, they looked completely shocked to see him and wonder if the video is several years old. I don't think they'd have that kind of response if it was before the halfening. After the snap, they just assumed he had died too, which is evidenced by his picture being on that list with Spider-man of people who died. So I feel like he's showing up after he went on a pretty interesting journey himself.

2) Nanotech is not impervious. After the fight with Thanos, his suit was BADLY damaged. It can't regenerate forever. It regenerated a lot during the fight, but then ran out of steam at the end. So it makes sense seeing the helmet all messed up.

3) Maybe, but I think we're just seeing a stone that happens to glow. I doubt it had any meaning or significance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2075 on: December 14, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »
I agree with Adami ... as is the case in almost all things Marvel.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2076 on: December 14, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
So, not MCU, but Into the Spiderverse is awesome. One of the best superhero movies ever.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2077 on: December 14, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »

And

I'll reply with 1, 2 and 3 to make my job easier and cause I'm lazy.

1) When they see Scott, they looked completely shocked to see him and wonder if the video is several years old. I don't think they'd have that kind of response if it was before the halfening. After the snap, they just assumed he had died too, which is evidenced by his picture being on that list with Spider-man of people who died. So I feel like he's showing up after he went on a pretty interesting journey himself.

2) Nanotech is not impervious. After the fight with Thanos, his suit was BADLY damaged. It can't regenerate forever. It regenerated a lot during the fight, but then ran out of steam at the end. So it makes sense seeing the helmet all messed up.

3) Maybe, but I think we're just seeing a stone that happens to glow. I doubt it had any meaning or significance.

In reference to point 1)

It appears that the video of Scott says "Strat 1983: Archive" in the upper left hand corner
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: December 15, 2018, 04:48:19 AM »
Ok... all this tiny font is killing me.  I don't think this is at all spoilery, so in response to Gregg... I've heard and seen the "archive" point.  But it can't be back in the year you mention - the facility wasn't even built.  I'm still a little stumped at Cap's question of "Is this old footage"?  Because it doesn't look like Cap/Nat have aged.  My guess is it might be a few months/years post-Decimation.  Not even sure if it is OLD footage, though I did take note of all the "leaves" lying on the ground ... perhaps everyone's remains?  Could it somehow be immediately after the Decimation?  Perhaps he's been time-vortexing around for a while, but found a way to come out at exactly the moment he went in to the Quantum Realm?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #2079 on: December 23, 2018, 09:34:27 AM »
Watching season 2 of Runaways right now.

.......huge meh so far, about 5 episodes in. Some good moments, but it really feels like the writers either did not want to be doing this show, or just had no idea what to do with anyone or anything. Which sucks, cause I've read (I think) all of the Runaways comics thus far and there's so much potential that they're just squandering for needless melodrama.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:39:34 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #2080 on: December 24, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
8 Episodes in to Season 2 of Runaways and I'd put it around the same quality as season 1 of Iron Fist.

What a major let down.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2081 on: December 24, 2018, 09:39:43 AM »
Watched the first 3 episodes of DD Season 3 yesterday.  Hoping to fit a few more in today.   Excellent so far. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: December 24, 2018, 05:01:32 PM »
Watched the first 3 episodes of DD Season 3 yesterday.  Hoping to fit a few more in today.   Excellent so far.

Man, season 3 it’s really excellent.
Last episode it’s my favorite, never thought it would unfold like it did.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2083 on: December 25, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
Okay, finished season 2 of Runaways.

Feel free to skip it. Quite bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: December 25, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the team.   :tup

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2085 on: December 25, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the team.   :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2086 on: December 26, 2018, 01:42:34 AM »
I'll probably still check it out as 1. I've seen season 1 and I don't like to abandon a show unless I no longer enjoy watching it, and 2. I like Iron Fist season 1.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2087 on: December 26, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
Just started Agents of SHIELD s. 5 last night.  Very different.  With as much as the series and the MCU are dealing with the Kree in increasing detail and frequency, it is tough to see how these two branches of the Marvel family can keep ignoring each other without creating gaping plot holes and/or contradictions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2088 on: December 27, 2018, 08:19:01 AM »
AOS 5 is Outstanding, as is the whole show. Prepare for some ouch and enjoy the ride.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2089 on: December 27, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
AOS 5 is Outstanding, as is the whole show. Prepare for some ouch and enjoy the ride.

And it has a lot of twists and turns that will leave you :o :omg:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2090 on: December 27, 2018, 10:03:53 PM »
OMG THE END OF EPISODE 8 OF DD3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: December 28, 2018, 06:19:28 AM »
OMG THE END OF EPISODE 8 OF DD3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2092 on: December 28, 2018, 01:36:31 PM »

As of last night, we are through episode 4.  A few stray thoughts:

-Sintara...I cannot help but wonder whether she is truly Kasius' enforcer, or whether she has her own agenda that may be contrary to his and is just playing along.  And if the latter, is her agenda benevolent to the humans or otherwise?  She is a cool character, despite reminding me too much of a na-vi because of her appearance. 

-Mac still annoys me, but is somewhat redeeming himself this season. 

-The interrogation of Jemma and Daisy...As soon as it started, I had hoped that there would be the..."ability" for it to happen the way it did.  As soon as Jemma started talking, I knew what was going on.  :tup

-The reveal at the end...wow!  Didn't see that coming.  I know from the title that the next episode is a shift in the timeline, so I suspect the reveal will be partially explained. 

-I am curious whether or not the origin of the roaches is ever explained.

These next couple are potentially spoilery for any who are right at the very beginning, so...

The only thing that is bothering me a bit thus far is the suspension of belief over that big chunk of earth still having an atmosphere, somewhat normal gravity, etc.  I'm all for suspension of belief in the name of fun, but that's a hard one to get past. 

I didn't realize at first that the Lighthouse was actually attached to the big fragment.  I assumed it was a space station or large ship.  I'm going to have to go back and rewatch that first flight that May and Jemma take.  Is it either intentionally vague and very well done that you can't tell where they take off from until the big reveal?  Or is it vague because it is poorly done?  I'm not sure.

Do they ever explain the origin of the roaches?  I'm curious about that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2093 on: December 28, 2018, 08:54:45 PM »
The whole story arc with Kasius and Sintara is pretty good stuff, some of the best AoS there is.  Each of the characters gets to do some pretty crazy stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2094 on: December 31, 2018, 09:28:10 AM »
Got in 4 more episodes (I thought we'd do more, but, you know, life).  Just...wow!  I was under the impression that the series kind of took a nose dive this season.  But not in a million years.  This next episode may be my single favorite episode in the entire series from any season.

Rewind was awesome.  Fitz totally shines here, and his grappling with the nature and extent of his own dark side really highlights all that is good about this character.  Which is really what hte theme of this episode is all about, so it shouldn't really be surprising.  But it is just so well done.
 "Release the ferrets!" had to be one of the funniest lines in the series.  And that said, I think the comedy this season as a whole has really been some of the show's best.  In such a dark, bleak sorty line, it is much needed, but would be easy to over do.  I don't think they overdo it at all, and it usually hits the mark.  Major props for the Star Wars humor toward the end as well.
Enoch is a really cool character.
Love the Robin payoff!
And...I never really liked Hunter at all.  But he was fantastic as well.

Not going to go episode-by-episode for the rest.  But some stray thoughts for this collective bunch:
-I like where the Kasius/Sintara arc is going, despite that I guess she apparently isn't acting on some hidden personal agenda as I had hoped.  I like how they took out Kasius' brother and his enforcer.
-So...time loop where destruction of the earth is inevitable and cannot be avoided.  ...except that they obviously WILL find a way to break it.  Surprisingly good way to keep the stakes high in both timelines.
-Speaking of which, seeing Yo-yo lose her faith in the returned-to-the-present timeline was soul crushing.  :(
-And also speaking of which, obviously the extinction level quake is going to have something to do with the gravitonium and not Daisy.  Which I guess is why/how they will be able to break the cycle.  But after doing so, they need to still have her referred to as "Destroyer of Worlds."  Just because.
-And I'm betting that the roaches are the mutated descendants of the ferrets.  Just because closure.  Okay, I'm not "betting" on it.  But part of me is hoping.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:55:58 AM by bosk1 »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2096 on: January 01, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
Aw yeah

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1080117007188672512

I know it’ll get cancelled anyway, so I’m not too excited this time :-\

Offline Adami

« Reply #2097 on: January 01, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
Aw yeah

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1080117007188672512

I know it’ll get cancelled anyway, so I’m not too excited this time :-\

So because there's no season 3, there's no point in being excited for season 2?

If it looks good, I get excited. A short good show is much better than a show that turns meh because it keeps going.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2098 on: January 01, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
I'd gather that'll be the last of the Netflix series from marvel

Offline Adami

« Reply #2099 on: January 01, 2019, 09:47:38 AM »