Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248521 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1890 on: October 24, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
I have been rewatching Agents of SHIELD with the boys now that they are old enough.  Just got to the season 2 finale last night.  I had forgotten that two of the best quotes in the entire series come from that episode:

Mac:  You must be Gordon.
Gordon:  And you are?
Mac:  I'm the guy who kills Gordon.

Fitz:  Science, beyatch.

Man, this was such a great episode.  I loved what they did with Cal's arc, the Inhumans arc, the romantic tragedy of FitzSimmons, and a bunch of other stuff.  Good ending to set up further Inhumans drama and the cliffhanger with Simmons.  I just wish Marvel hadn't let the Inhumans as a whole eventually fall flat.

EDIT:  Oh, and I wish they had done more with Alisha after this episode, too.  Such a cool character.  But I don't recall her ever coming back.

EDIT2:  I guess she did appear in season 3 as well for a little bit.  I just don't remember.  Oh well.  I'll be there soon.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:09:50 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1891 on: October 24, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »
I don't do the Netflix thing or any other online stuff, so Agents of SHIELD is it for me, too.  I like it.  There were one or two other shows on regular TV, I think Inhumans was one of them, but I couldn't get into it.  After three or four episodes it still felt like they were setting things up, and I just decided to drop it.  It might have gotten better, but I don't have time for a lot of TV anyway, so I'm pretty brutal when it comes time to cut things.

Anyway, yeah, "I'm the guy who kills Gordon" cracked me up when it first broadcast, and I'm chuckling now just remembering it.  Mac is so cool.  Actually all of them, including Skye/Daisy, show a lot of growth and serious mettle over the course of the show.  And I just read that it's been picked up for another season, so that "maybe finale, maybe not" from last season is going to be interesting recast as a cliffhanger.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1892 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
It might have gotten better,

...it didn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1893 on: October 24, 2018, 06:13:48 PM »
In a way, I find that reassuring.  I mean, I'd hate to drop a show that takes a while to find its legs, only to find out that it got really good later.  So in that sense, I'm glad it never got any better.

Online Adami

« Reply #1894 on: October 24, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »
You know, I spent some thinking about how Marvel, a company that has been relatively great in terms of output, managed to create such a show like Inhumans. Iron Fist wasn't good, but it had some good elements, but Inhumans? Good god. (nevermind that they were produced by the same dude).

Then I remembered the movie The Muse. Anyone seen it?

Albert Brooks's character has a meeting with Mr. Spielberg at a big movie lot, and assumes it's Steven. Turns out it's actually Stan Spielberg, played by Steven Wright who got the job because he's Steven's like nephew or something.

I feel like Inhumans was the result of people like Stan Spielberg who people assumed was Steven at the time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1895 on: October 24, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »
I remember hearing about The Muse.  Albert Brooks was doing the promo tour and was on some show (might've been Letterman) talking about it.  I specifically remember him explaining the word "muse" which apparently a lot of people don't know, and how it's where the word "music" comes from.

And then I thought of the line from the Yes song "Roundabout":

The music dance and sing
They make the children really ring
I spend the day your way

and how Jon Anderson somehow decided that "music" is the plural of "muse".  I'm pretty sure it's not, or maybe it is and I've just never heard it used that way.  And while I was thinking about that, I realized that I wasn't really listening to Albert Brooks any more.  I never did see the movie, but again, that sounds like a good thing.  I'd hate to find out that it was any good and I missed it.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1896 on: October 25, 2018, 05:51:11 AM »
Mac:  You must be Gordon.
Gordon:  And you are?
Mac:  I'm the guy who kills Gordon.

If I had the time, I'd love to rewatch this series. 

The Star Wars Episode III novelization had a line like that between Obi Wan and General Grevious, which I loved:

GG:  I was trained by Count Dooku
Obi Wan:  Well I trained the guy that killed Count Dooku

:)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1897 on: October 25, 2018, 06:59:17 AM »
Another in a similar vein.  In the movie RED, Bruce Willis (retired, extremely dangerous) is fighting with Karl Urban (active).  Urban has made much of the fact that Willis is much older than him, calling him "Grandpa" and stuff.  Willis gets him in a lock.

Willis: Kordesky trained you?
Urban: Yeah.
Willis: I trained Kordesky.  CRUNCH!  (dislocates Urban's shoulder)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1898 on: October 25, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
Skipping all comments to avoid spoilers just to pipe in that I am four episodes in to the new season of Daredevil. For some, I think it probably has started slow. But I am finding it really good.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

« Reply #1899 on: October 25, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
It did start slow, but as the season goes on, the episodes pick up in intensity and action. 

Online Adami

« Reply #1900 on: October 25, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
I see "it's slow" for literally every single Marvel Netflix show.

Sometimes, like for Iron Fist, it doesn't work. But for the most part it's intentional. The show isn't all about action, it's about character development, which is supposed to be slow. I think at this point we should accept that these shows are slow. Just seems like an odd criticism when it's part of how the shows work. It'd be like watching every single Wes Anderson movie and criticizing it for being quirky.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: October 25, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
I really like the build up and development of the characters. Pleased so far.  :metal

On a related but non-related note, Star Trek Deep Space Nine was referred to as slow as well, but I for one loved the political intrigue and slow build.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

« Reply #1902 on: October 25, 2018, 11:57:55 AM »
I really like the build up and development of the characters. Pleased so far.  :metal

On a related but non-related note, Star Trek Deep Space Nine was referred to as slow as well, but I for one loved the political intrigue and slow build.

Totally. And I love DS9 too, but DS9 took a while to figure out what they wanted to do. Luckily they did figure it out and it was amazing.

So there's a difference between a show that is intentionally slow (Like DD, JJ, LC, etc) vs. shows that are slow because they don't know what they're doing yet (Iron Fist).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1903 on: October 25, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
Another in a similar vein.  In the movie RED, Bruce Willis (retired, extremely dangerous) is fighting with Karl Urban (active).  Urban has made much of the fact that Willis is much older than him, calling him "Grandpa" and stuff.  Willis gets him in a lock.

Willis: Kordesky trained you?
Urban: Yeah.
Willis: I trained Kordesky.  CRUNCH!  (dislocates Urban's shoulder)

That movie was a good bit of throwaway fun
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1904 on: October 25, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »
I see "it's slow" for literally every single Marvel Netflix show.

Sometimes, like for Iron Fist, it doesn't work. But for the most part it's intentional. The show isn't all about action, it's about character development, which is supposed to be slow. I think at this point we should accept that these shows are slow. Just seems like an odd criticism when it's part of how the shows work. It'd be like watching every single Wes Anderson movie and criticizing it for being quirky.
I never see "slow" as a criticism (I'm sure some people intend it as such, but screw 'em) but rather a description. As you say, it's a valid form of storytelling.

EDIT: Also, 7 episodes into Daredevil S3 and GOOD GOD THIS IS INTENSE.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1905 on: October 25, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »
Dude, I was actively grinding my teeth and got headaches from how intense the show got. That has never happened to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1906 on: October 25, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »

I was thinking specifically of Deep Space 9 when I said I was "glad" that Marvel's Inhumans didn't get any better and so I didn't miss out on a good show.  I dropped Deep Space 9 early on, then from all accounts it became the best Star Trek of all in some ways (character and story arcs, epic political intrigue, etc).

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1907 on: October 28, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
Jumping on the bandwagon - DD was brilliant.  jingle.son and I powered thru the final 5 episodes Friday and last night.  Intense is the word used a lot, and whatever the next word is beyond intense is what it really was.  Couple of points - I don't think they'll be spoilery, but I'll put a couple in tiny font just to be sure.

- Karen's dad's reaction to her when she called.  I thought "Man, that is cold!".  Then we find out why.  The backstory was incredible.
- DID NOT see the twist coming re: Sister Maggie
- didn't like how quick Felix flipped on Kingpin.  Like, his #1 fixer is gonna squeal *that* fast and just because he's hanging upside down.  And where's the proof that Queenpin ordered the kill on Nadeem?

All in all, I'd say that was the best DD season, and best Netflix/Marvel series.

And yeah... binge watching wasn't ideal, but it had to be done as jingle.son is back to school tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: October 29, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
Jumping in to say -- through episode 8 of Season 3 of DD. LOVE the intensity. Hoping to get through the season this week.

Update - got through episode 11. Just two more left!!! INTENSE.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:16:41 AM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1909 on: October 31, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
Watched ‘Punisher’ last week....told myself I’d check out the first episode last Monday night.....FF three days later and I had binged it. Really liked it. Which led me to start Daredevil two nights ago. Only (5) episodes in to the First season and I like this one a lot also. I’ve heard it only gets better and better which is cool because I’m already digging it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1910 on: October 31, 2018, 12:46:32 PM »
Watched ‘Punisher’ last week....told myself I’d check out the first episode last Monday night.....FF three days later and I had binged it. Really liked it. Which led me to start Daredevil two nights ago. Only (5) episodes in to the First season and I like this one a lot also. I’ve heard it only gets better and better which is cool because I’m already digging it.
I personally found season 2 a step down from season 1, although it did cool stuff to set up both the Defenders and the Punisher. But just finished season 3 today and it was ridiculously good. That, Punisher season and Jessica Jones season 1 have all been amazing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1911 on: October 31, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »
I personally found season 2 a step down from season 1, although it did cool stuff to set up both the Defenders and the Punisher. But just finished season 3 today and it was ridiculously good. That, Punisher season and Jessica Jones season 1 have all been amazing.

Agree. I am a big Daredevil fan (second favorite superhero to Batman and Robin -- I guess that makes him third) and found Season 2 to just be good, but not as good as Season 1. But Season 2 is pivotal, as you say. Two more episodes and I am done with Season 3, and I found Season 3 to be amazingly good.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1912 on: October 31, 2018, 03:36:39 PM »
I had read online that having not seen any Daredevil wouldn’t greatly affect watching the Punisher....so I watched it first being it was only one season. I liked it so much that’s what drove me to begin Daredevil.

And judging from your comments it sounds like Jessica Jones May be worth it as well.

Online Adami

« Reply #1913 on: October 31, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
Iron Fist season 1 is not good.

Iron Fist season 2 is fine.

Luke Cage season 1 is pretty good.

Defenders is good.

Daredevil Season 2 is pretty good (with shades of great).

The rest, DD 1 &3, JJ 1&2, Punisher, LC 2, are all outstanding.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1914 on: October 31, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
And judging from your comments it sounds like Jessica Jones May be worth it as well.

What's really awesome about Jessica Jones is...um...let me get back to you.  :justjen
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #1915 on: October 31, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »

What's really awesome about Jessica Jones is...um...let me get back to you.  :justjen

I know! It takes a long time to write out all the really stuff about JJ. It's sooo good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1916 on: October 31, 2018, 07:49:09 PM »
DD3 is amazing honestly. The stand-off between Karen and Fisk is literally one of the most intense moments in all of television. Only thing I didn't like about it was Matt Murdock's crisis of faith throughout the season. It wasn't very compelling to me and tbh he sounded more like a 14 year old edgy internet atheist(TM) than someone who is a devout Christian having some issues. Everything else about it is super good

And honestly, LC1 and IF1 are the only two seasons that I really have an issue with the pacing. tbh in general I LOVE the pacing of the Netflix shows. The whole "cliffhanger at the end of every episode" thing can get old real quick if it isn't done well (example: Once Upon a Time after the Peter Pan arc). It's nice to have a show just take its time and give us some character development and world building instead of trying to cram as many twists into an episode as possible. The characters are definitely the reason the MCU has stood out in general for me.

Also, I'm going to submit "Corpsey Diem: Seize the dead." as the best line from AoS (also from season 2). It's still one of my favorite jokes on TV.

You're definitely gonna want to watch the first seasons of JJ, IF, and LC and the Defenders before jumping into season 3. You can get away with not watching the other seasons 2, but knowing what happens in Defenders is super important for understanding the plot of DD3.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: October 31, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »
You're definitely gonna want to watch the first seasons of JJ, IF, and LC and the Defenders before jumping into season 3. You can get away with not watching the other seasons 2, but knowing what happens in Defenders is super important for understanding the plot of DD3.

Thanks for the advice....although that just added a ton of stuff for me to watch   :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: November 01, 2018, 05:36:24 AM »
Iron Fist season 1 is not good.

Iron Fist season 2 is fine.

Luke Cage season 1 is pretty good.

Defenders is good.

Daredevil Season 2 is pretty good (with shades of great).

The rest, DD 1 &3, JJ 1&2, Punisher, LC 2, are all outstanding.

Yup. That's your template right there.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1919 on: November 01, 2018, 05:41:36 AM »

Thanks for the advice....although that just added a ton of stuff for me to watch   :lol

sorry to burst your bubble, but Ninja is right.  One cannot grasp/appreciate DD S3 without Defenders, and the other four are pretty crucial to being able to grasp the Defenders.  Watching the Defenders cold might be plausible, but I wouldn't recommend it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1920 on: November 01, 2018, 05:52:48 AM »
Yeah and all the shows are at least pretty good (ranging to amazing) so they're worth a watch anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Grappler

« Reply #1921 on: November 01, 2018, 05:53:51 AM »
I managed DD3 just fine without watching JJ, Iron Fist, Luke Cage or the Defenders.  Zero interest in any of that.  The beginning of DD3 had a recap of prior events, including the very end of Defenders. 

It's possible to watch only Daredevil and The Punisher and still be satisfied and understand 99% of everything.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: November 01, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
I managed DD3 just fine without watching JJ, Iron Fist, Luke Cage or the Defenders.  Zero interest in any of that.  The beginning of DD3 had a recap of prior events, including the very end of Defenders. 

It's possible to watch only Daredevil and The Punisher and still be satisfied and understand 99% of everything.

Yup, totally agree. I've seen Jessica Jones and Iron Fist. ALso saw The Defenders. But I agree completely -- none of that is necessary in order to watch and enjoy season 3 of DD.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1923 on: November 01, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
If you want to watch the Netflix shows in the intended order (like me) then this is the how you would go about that. There is little things that show up and spread across all the shows. I think Turk has been in just about every season of every show so far. He's pretty minor but it's always funny to see him show up.

Daredevil S01
Jessica Jones S01
Daredevil S02
Luke Cage S01
Iron Fist S01
The Defenders
The Punisher S01
Jessica Jones S02
Luke Cage S02
Iron Fist S02
Daredevil S03

I'm also watching The Gifted, Runaways and Cloak and Dagger. I'm behind on all 3 but I enjoy them as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1924 on: November 01, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
If you want to watch the Netflix shows in the intended order (like me) then this is the how you would go about that. There is little things that show up and spread across all the shows. I think Turk has been in just about every season of every show so far. He's pretty minor but it's always funny to see him show up.

Daredevil S01
Jessica Jones S01
Daredevil S02
Luke Cage S01
Iron Fist S01
The Defenders
The Punisher S01
Jessica Jones S02
Luke Cage S02
Iron Fist S02
Daredevil S03

I'm also watching The Gifted, Runaways and Cloak and Dagger. I'm behind on all 3 but I enjoy them as well.
I'm also watching all of those except for The Gifted as that's not MCU, although I've heard some good things so I may well check it out at some point anyway.

Also Agents of SHIELD.

Literally the only live action MCU thing I haven't bothered with is Inhumans. I mean, I don't generally care when something isn't doing too well as it's not uncommon for me to still like it a lot, like Iron Fist. But with Inhumans it's just on a different level that I've felt no inclination to bother with it.

I be am boner inducing.