Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248506 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #945 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:46 PM »
So I think Runaways is done for the season? Weird way to end the season if so.

Last two episodes were definitely an improvement, and I'm hopeful for next season.

At least they finally ran away!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #946 on: January 10, 2018, 07:47:02 AM »
Yeah, it was just a 10 episode run to start things off. No spoilerz, though, because I have yet to watch episodes 9-10. Wondering if there's gonna be a big twist kinda like there was in the comic at the end of volume 1.

Offline Adami

« Reply #947 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:01 PM »
So I don't want to say anything in case it's considered spoilers, but has anyone been keeping up on the candid photos from the set of Avengers 4?

I have no idea what's going on, but (without saying anything), it looks like some VERY interesting things could be happening in this movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #948 on: January 11, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »
So I don't want to say anything in case it's considered spoilers, but has anyone been keeping up on the candid photos from the set of Avengers 4?

I have no idea what's going on, but (without saying anything), it looks like some VERY interesting things could be happening in this movie.

Just googled them and... mindblown. Can't wait for Infinity War already.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #949 on: January 11, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »

I'm trying to stay spoiler-free, but something did sneak into my YT feed suggesting an alternate/mirror universe? like a picture of an old Robert Downey Jr.?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #950 on: January 11, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »

I'm trying to stay spoiler-free, but something did sneak into my YT feed suggesting an alternate/mirror universe? like a picture of an old Robert Downey Jr.?

I hadn't heard the alternate universe theory, but definitely a possibility. I read mostly about time travel theories. At this point it's just people looking at pics and making stuff up, but it's really intriguing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: January 11, 2018, 08:57:51 PM »

I hadn't heard the alternate universe theory, but definitely a possibility. I read mostly about time travel theories. At this point it's just people looking at pics and making stuff up, but it's really intriguing.

Yeah... with the Reality and Time stones, the possibilities are endless.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #952 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »
Jesus. Fucking. Cake.

That chick's face looks like she is looking at god  :rollin :lol and by the look of the cake, she just might be.

Got this from a mostly useless IGN article if you want.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #953 on: January 21, 2018, 09:10:09 PM »
Just watched 4,722 Hours....

.....so....on a scale of zero to Fitz, how bad have you been friendzoned?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #954 on: January 22, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
Just watched 4,722 Hours....

.....so....on a scale of zero to Fitz, how bad have you been friendzoned?

:rollin

It gets better with them, though, I promise :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #955 on: January 25, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »
Finally saw Thor: Ragnarok. Maybe it's just me being a fan of the genre and used to the style, but I have to say that Marvel never misses a strike, it's yet another excellent and fun movie  :hat Sure, a movie called Ragnarok should have not been spent so much on an alien junkyard planet but in the overall plot all things clicked nicely together. Good thing I didn't see the trailers, caught in following the movie I didn't even realize Hulk was the monster Thor had to fight  :D

The comedy moments were slapstick more than in any other film, but I didn't mind them. Like at the end when Bruce Banner is about to jump on Fenrir and you totally see coming the scene of him arriving over him to fight as the Hulk, and instead he slams still not transformed on the bridge  :lol they were a nice change of pace, like also at the beginning when Thor says how heroes fight and nothing happens because he timed wrong the arrival of the hammer (which is probably a meta joke how only in movies you make the perfect quip at the exact perfect time).

Oh, and I think it's safe to say that Loki totally stole the Tesseract while he was going to get the crown at the end, mh?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #956 on: January 25, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
Yeah, I thought the jokes fit the film very well.  The only thing I didn't think worked was just the overall scope of Asgard didn't seem big enough.  We're talking about an entire planet with an ancient race of beings.  And, yet, the population seems to be about the size of a small town, residing in the space of a neighborhood.  It just didn't feel like an entire civilization was being wiped out by Hela (with Surtur finishing the job).  As a result, the emotional stakes were far lower than they should have been, given the actual conflict of the film.  Somehow, it still mostly works despite that.  But that flaw bothers me.  They could easily have made the scope bigger without overly extending the film.  Just have Hela summon an army that helps her preliminarily take the capitol, and then she is able to go into the vaults to resurrect the rest of her army.  Then she goes on a tear, and we get a montage of death and destruction around the planet, with Asgardians fleeing and hiding in various places.  Then, at the end, have a small fleet of survivors escape from a few locations around the planet, instead of just one ship.  It (and the things they obviously have planned at the beginning of Infinity War) would still work, but we get a movie where the stakes are appropriately raised. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:42:25 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #957 on: January 25, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
Never thought of that tbh...I always pictured the MCU Asgard as a massive single city on a flat earth type thing...like this..

Which kind of fits into the movie a bit better than a planetary scale civilization of billions.

Offline Adami

« Reply #958 on: January 25, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
Yea. That’s what it is in the movie too. Not a planet but a city.

Still felt underpopulated.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #959 on: January 25, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

Sneak peak of Captain Marvel.

I’m cool with the color change.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: January 25, 2018, 07:42:27 PM »
To Bosk's point, the comics always made Asgard feel more like a city sized 'world', and the intro of Thor 1 (just watched it the other day) with Odin's soliloquy and the "tour" of Asgard to follow along certainly make it far less than a planet.  Good point though - and maybe it ended up on the cutting room floor - a couple minute montage showing her army raiding and pillaging the entire realm wouldn't have hurt the movie.

I the two of the iterations of the Ragnarok comics though, it is Surtur that does the majority of the destruction.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #961 on: January 26, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »
Yeah, I articulated that poorly.  Not that Asgard needs to be "massive."  But still, the scale just felt too small.  It felt too unpopulated.  And while I think Hela singlehandedly taking them out was supposed to make us feel dread at her obviously superior power, it just to me made it feel like Asgard was small and insignificant. 

Regarding Captain Marvel, I can't help but wonder if the green costume will be solely for the '90s setting of her movie, and when she presumably makes an appearance in the Infinity War films, she will get an update that is much more like the traditional look we are familiar with.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #962 on: January 26, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
I'm in agreement that Asgard felt like it had too small a population. Sure, it's just one big city on the planet, but shouldn't it at least have 100's of thousands if not millions of people? Based on the crowd that evacuated, I'd guess the whole city had a population of a few thousand at most. Didn't seem like enough to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
Ant Man and Wasp trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rTIAOohas

Looks cool.  Ant Man is the series that I'm least interested in... but I'll go see it in the theater for sure.

Offline Adami

« Reply #964 on: January 30, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »
Ant Man and Wasp trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rTIAOohas

Looks cool.  Ant Man is the series that I'm least interested in... but I'll go see it in the theater for sure.

I gotta admit, that looked like a lot of fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #965 on: January 30, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
Great trailer! Now I'm wondering, do we know who the villain for this movie is?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: January 30, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that the use of shrink/enlarge 'zapping' is going to be used a lot for comic effect.  Putting a building on a roller suitcase?  Giant-sized Hello Kitty Pez?

Offline Adami

« Reply #967 on: January 30, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that the use of shrink/enlarge 'zapping' is going to be used a lot for comic effect.  Putting a building on a roller suitcase?  Giant-sized Hello Kitty Pez?

That’s how it was in the first movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: January 30, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »

That’s how it was in the first movie.

It didn't really strike me as over the top (though, I haven't seen the movie since it was released).  I just get the sense it will be over the top this time around.  I don't think I mind when the comedic effect follows its use (eg, the "fuel" truck in Civil War that Ant Man thought was a water truck; the train-set), but if/when it's used almost solely for comedic effect... I think that's gonna bug me if it happens repeatedly.

Yes, pun fully intended.

Offline Adami

« Reply #969 on: January 30, 2018, 11:11:43 AM »
Heh yea.

In the first one it was definitely used for humor. Thomas the Whatever, the giant ant, the tank key chain, etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #970 on: January 30, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »
Question:  Do you guys think Black Widow is a really popular character that needs her own film?

Every now and then, I run across articles that all basically say that Marvel MUST secretly have a Black Widow solo film in the works, because Girl Power! and because she is such a popular and in-demand character that the masses are all clamoring for this. 

I just stumbled on another one of those, so the question popped into my mind.  I always wonder at that statement because I have never seen/heard such clamoring from any masses.  I know for me, her opening solo scene in Avengers was AMAZING.  It struck a great balance with the humor and the awesomeness of just being a great fight scene.  But I've never felt the urge to see her front her own movie.  I thought it was cool that she got more screen time in The Winger Soldier.  A lot of it played like a Cap/Widow buddy movie.  And it worked really well.  But I also felt like that was pushing the limits in terms of what I want to see for screen time with her.  I feel like she got enough time in the sun with that one, and while I like her as a character, I think she fits just fine being part of the larger Avengers ensemble.  Am I wrong?

Offline Adami

« Reply #971 on: January 30, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Am I wrong?

Well, you're not Stadler, so you're probably not wrong.

I actually mostly agree with you. I like Tasha a lot, but she does not need her own movie. Neither does Hawkeye. Maybe both together? Hm.

I think the clamoring for it is mostly a reaction to the awful....AWFUL marketing screw ups by Marvel in the past that cut her out of almost everything. If that had never happened, and if she weren't the only female at the time when Wonder Woman was announced, I doubt anyone would care as much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: January 30, 2018, 02:05:47 PM »
I thought it was cool that she got more screen time in The Winger Soldier. 

:zydarscouch:

I think we need a solo Scarlett Johansen movie more than a Black Widow movie.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #973 on: January 30, 2018, 02:13:30 PM »
I've never quite gotten all the calls for a solo Black Widow movie either. I'm sure it could be done well and I'm sure it will do fine financially. Personally, I think she's a fairly forgettable character compared to the other main superheros and is clearly a second tier character in the MCU.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #974 on: January 30, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
I thought it was cool that she got more screen time in The Winger Soldier. 

:zydarscouch:

:lolpalm:

After that Winger pic, I think TAC might need some solo time.  :zydar:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #975 on: January 30, 2018, 05:06:18 PM »
I don't think a solo BW movie is a must, but I'd drop money to see it, especially if it was a prequel of sorts. I'd love to see her in her early assassin days, and her transformation to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Offline Adami

« Reply #976 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »
At this point, I wonder if Marvel is a bit pissy about that Red Sparrow movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #977 on: January 30, 2018, 10:06:39 PM »
Personally I don't believe the squeeky clean style of the MCU cinematic movies could even do a BW movie justice. Maybe a Netflix season of her assassin days would be more fitting and interesting.

But I agree, I never found her to be so interesting that she warrants a solo outing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #978 on: January 31, 2018, 04:57:43 AM »
I agree as well, maybe a Hawkeye / Black Widow joint movie, but as an essentiall co-protagonist along with Captain America, it's already fine like that.

If there's not even the need for another Iron Man movie, with Tony Stark being another co-protagonist in Civil War and Spiderman Homecoming, I daresay we can live without a solo Black Window movie as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #979 on: January 31, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
Maybe a Netflix season of her assassin days would be more fitting and interesting.

I love this  idea.