Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248480 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #805 on: November 07, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »
Weird thought about Thor (which was super fun, by the way).

Valkyrie. She was a Valkyrie. Her name isn't Valkyrie, that's what she was. The hell is her name?

It's like called a soldier Soldier.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: November 08, 2017, 04:29:02 AM »
Scrapper 142?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: November 08, 2017, 06:39:16 AM »
Brynhildr?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #808 on: November 08, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
I saw Thor last night. It was fantastic.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #809 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
Saw Thor Monday night, it was great, but it felt a little too long for me. Didn't like what happens to Thor at the end, though  ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #810 on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
Saw Ragnarok with the boys today.  Overall, I liked it.  I knew going in that it was going to have a lighter tone to it.  I like that it actually managed to be lighthearted and dark at the same time.  Some spoilers below as I discuss some of my thoughts:

Again, I really liked the balance between lighthearted and dark.  It worked really well.

This movie highlighted why I am not a Hulk fan and have never been.  The character just doesn't do much for me.  He is such a tough character to bring any personality to.  But I can't imagine how they could have done any better in that regard than what was done here. 

A few ideas seemed rushed and half-baked.  For instance, the escape from Sakaar seemed too easy.  Also, when ragnarok happened, it was kind of a let down.  I didn't really feel any sense of loss or doom.  The planet was so empty at that point anyway, but it also seemed so small and insignificant.  I think they made a mistake by not making Asgard seem to much bigger and important.  Its destruction just seemed fairly insignificant.  Maybe a repeat viewing will change my mind.  But that, to me, was the biggest flaw.

Related to that, where are all the people?  I mean, I know that a ton of people were massacred by Hela.  But still, there were hardly any people left to get off the planet.  There should have been a ton of ships. 

Still, it was a fun movie.  I enjoyed it.  But it probably ranks in the lower half of Marvel films for me. 

A word on the ending and mid-credits scene:  So, I am guessing that is Thanos' ship.  And I am likewise guessing that the terreract is on board, which makes sense because it wouldn't have simply perished in ragnarok, and Loki pausing to gawk at it seemed to obviously point to him swiping it.  But that begs the question:  Why didn't Thor raise the issue of where the tessaract is?  He more than anyone in this film knows the infinity stones are part of a bigger play being made.  Seems like a glaring oversight.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: November 11, 2017, 05:24:59 AM »
Maybe Thor was hoping that the Tesseract would be 'destroyed', or never found after Surtur laid waste to Asgard?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #812 on: November 11, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
Or maybe he just doesn't know that the tesseract is an infinity stone? He doesn't seem to know much about them but is investigating

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #813 on: November 11, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »
He knows. I think he saw that it was one in Age of Ultron.

I just assumed it sort of slipped his mind with everything else that happened during the movie.

Also, anyone think Loki called Thanos to tell him where he could come find them?

Online Adami

« Reply #814 on: November 11, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »
Yea, I assume Loki has the tesseract and that's how Thanos found him since he's hunting them all down. And with everything going on, it's not shocking that it slipped Thor's mind.

Anyway, so I am on the final episode of Inhumans. I was actually shocked at how not terrible the first half of episode 7 was before it all went to garbage again. They took Maximus from a mediocre but understandable villain to a generic evil mustache twirling one. Pathetic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #815 on: November 13, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »
Coming back to this:

Valkyrie. She was a Valkyrie. Her name isn't Valkyrie, that's what she was. The hell is her name?

It's like called a soldier Soldier.

I have two thoughts.  Either or both may be true, and I suspect it is a combination of both:

1.  It isn't actually like calling a soldier "Soldier."  Valkyrie isn't just her occupation--it is her title.  It is more akin to calling a king "King" or a judge "Judge."  Those would both be acceptable. 

AND/OR

2.  My understanding of the comic character that first appears in *********SPOILER************ Incredible Hulk issue #142 was called "Valkyrie," so that is what the character is called here.  I am guessing that it was originally meant to be a title rather than a name, but that after awhile, people kind of forgot and assumed it was her name.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #816 on: November 14, 2017, 01:31:34 AM »
I just got round to seeing Thor 3 last night.  I liked it, but I didn't love it - I'd have to put it somewhere in the lower half of the Marvel film output so far.  The last 30 minutes or so were great, but the arena planet stuff I actually found quite weak, also didn't find the humour that great, a lot of the jokes missed for me (which was a letdown as I find Taika Waititi other films genuinely funny).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #817 on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »
Also, anyone think Loki called Thanos to tell him where he could come find them?

I hadn't thought of that, but that would be satisfying on quite a few levels.

The pace at which things tend to happen in these movies really annoys me.  Thanos should not have been able to find them so quickly.  I needed to see a lapse of time.  But if Loki tipped him off, it solves that issue.  (A lot of modern films, and especially those in the Marvel and Star Wars universes suffer from this.  Sokovia is a lot more believable if Ultron hides out for a couple of months to build his device, grow more powerful, etc.  And on and on...)

Second, although part of me likes seeing Loki being "good," it just doesn't fit his character.  He is evil, cold-blooded, and self-centered.  It doesn't make sense to see him apparently having turned over a new leaf and being buddy-buddy with Thor and the remaining survivors of Asgard.  I was starting to feel like his true nature was getting lost.  He is also calculating and willing to play the long game to get what he wants.  Knowing that he has been working toward a longer end game with Thanos would be more satisfying.  Him calling Thanos and saying, basically, "Okay, Asgard's defenses are now nonexistent, and I have it (them?) ready for you to take" makes sense.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: November 14, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
For the most part, I agree with you (re: Loki's 'good-natured' persona).  In the comics, he's considered the God of Evil.  *He* was the one that brought about Ragnarok in a couple of the different iterations of it.  His loathe for Thor (and Odin for that matter) is off the charts, so the MCU characterization of him is not in sync with the comics.

However, Tom Hiddleston has done such a fantastic job with him that (imo) the MCU wanted to find a way for the audiences to love to hate him.  I think they don't want us to completely hate him (yet), despite his evil nature.  Perhaps they're just setting him up to be that completely evil character by siding 100% with Thanos?  I haven't read any of the Infinity series' yet (they're next on my to-do list), so I don't know what Loki's role is in those.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #819 on: November 18, 2017, 08:40:37 PM »
Three episodes in, and The Punisher is quickly becoming a top show for me. Damn they did this one good.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #820 on: November 18, 2017, 10:00:36 PM »
^6 episodes in and I’m really enjoying it, but a certain event in episode 6 was really predictable.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #821 on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »
^6 episodes in and I’m really enjoying it, but a certain event in episode 6 was really predictable.

I'll get back to this tomorrow, working through some more of Man in the High Castle now. I ain't getting shit done this weekend. :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #822 on: November 19, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
On episode 7, and my enthusiasm has faded significantly.  The writing is so weak.  There are entire subplots and side characters that serve no purpose whatsoever.  Frank and Micro are perfectly cast but given almost nothing to do.  Don't know if I can sit through another scene of Micro watching Frank interact with his estranged family via unexplained hidden CCTV footage without screaming "LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS" at the TV.

Hope it gets better from here for me  :-\

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #823 on: November 19, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
Ok, finished. It took way too long to get there, but the last three episodes are near perfect. Should have been a 6-8 episode season. If you think of a season of television the same way you do a movie, this one had major second act problems.

It's got Man of Steel issues, in that it's like four different shows tonally. The pilfered Incredible Hulk "Lonely man" section where he's working construction under an alias was amazing. That was the only character driven story I cared about.

Online Adami

« Reply #824 on: November 19, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaEcQHIX17I

Paul Rudd talking about...........stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #825 on: November 19, 2017, 04:42:46 PM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: November 20, 2017, 06:58:34 AM »
I don't recognize the show that Accelerando is watching.  Mrs. P and I watched nine episodes of The Punisher this weekend and I've been really pleasantly surprise by how terrific the show is. All of the character driven stories are compelling (even heartbreaking at times) the acting is superb, and I think the writing is excellent. Yeah, they telegraphed one particular good guy death, but hey, sometimes that shit happens.

By the way, Amber Revah is mesmerizing to watch. Goddam, she's is pretty.

We're really looking forward to watching the rest of it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #827 on: November 20, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
I don't recognize the show that Accelerando is watching.  Mrs. P and I watched nine episodes of The Punisher this weekend and I've been really pleasantly surprise by how terrific the show is. All of the character driven stories are compelling (even heartbreaking at times) the acting is superb, and I think the writing is excellent. Yeah, they telegraphed one particular good guy death, but hey, sometimes that shit happens.

Yeah, I finished this off in a weekend...DRATZ!!! I wish I could stop myself. Quite enjoyed and have to just wait wait wait for next season. :tup

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #828 on: November 20, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »
Finally watched Spider-Man Homecoming. Loved it. Easily my favorite marvel movie in a few years.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #829 on: November 20, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »
Omg EP12......holy crap was that insane :omg:

Can anyone distinguish the word frank udders at the end? I watched it four times and still can't make it out.

On to the final.....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #830 on: November 20, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »
Can anyone distinguish the word frank udders at the end?

:dunno:  "Natalie Portman?" 

:natalieportman:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #831 on: November 20, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
lol oops

Anyhoo, I figured it out I think (I think it was "Curtis".

Outstanding finish, was holding my breath for the last twenty minutes. Loved the closing scene of Frank joining the therapy group and talking about what happens when the war ends, very fitting end. While I feel DD1 and JJ had better villains in Fisk and Kilgrave, the overall acting and writing for Punisher were for me far superior. Tremendous show, and easily my Netflix/Marvel favorite.

I think they should bring more of this level darkness and dramato the MCU movies, there was a great potential for it in Thor, but they decided on 100 minutes of superhero slapstick, which while entertaining left the movie completely bereft of any level of drama. It could've been so much more.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #832 on: November 21, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »

Glad you enjoyed it, but we saw the same show. That second act really dragged with filler subplots to try to make a 13 episode season order, and its clear to me. Like i said, the last handful of episodes were great, which tells me they needed to shave a few episodes for tighter storytelling.

I have high standards for these Netflix shows.. They are the best storytelling platform that Marvel Studios is dishing out. That’s why im being nitpicky if you will.

Im am in agreement with you about Amber Rose Revah. Holy hell, she’s stunning  :heart

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #833 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:33 PM »

Im am in agreement with you about Amber Rose Revah. Holy hell, she’s stunning  :heart

Thirded. She's just amazing...

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #834 on: November 22, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
the first three episodes of Runaways are really fucking good:

https://www.hulu.com/marvels-runaways

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #835 on: November 24, 2017, 05:12:39 AM »

Outstanding finish, was holding my breath for the last twenty minutes. Loved the closing scene of Frank joining the therapy group and talking about what happens when the war ends, very fitting end. While I feel DD1 and JJ had better villains in Fisk and Kilgrave, the overall acting and writing for Punisher were for me far superior. Tremendous show, and easily my Netflix/Marvel favorite.

I think they should bring more of this level darkness and dramato the MCU movies, there was a great potential for it in Thor, but they decided on 100 minutes of superhero slapstick, which while entertaining left the movie completely bereft of any level of drama. It could've been so much more.

Pretty much agreed with everything you said. The action scenes in this show were all stellar, increddibly well shot. I wonder if they'll get some award for that. I longsince held Daredevil season 1 to be top notch for the Marvel tv universe, but this one tops it with ease. The ending fight scene was unbelievably tense.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

« Reply #836 on: November 25, 2017, 11:43:30 PM »
Finished the Punisher.

WOAH. This is an amazing show. I loved every damn minute of it. Just the writing, directing, acting, was so top notch. Nothing felt pointless or wasted, everything served the greater story. Just incredible. Top notch show, one of the best Netflix shows.

Also saw the first 3 episodes of The Runaways. I really like it! Insanely well cast. I love how they make the parents very human and even remorseful at times. They're veering away from one dimensional bad guys, and nailing it. Also putting in the Church of the Gibborim was nice, since I felt it was unlikely that the show would actually make a bunch of giant god type thins the villains.

My one concern is how they will handle the big twist that happens in the comics. Will they keep it as planned? I kind of hope they do, cause changing it will feel really weird to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #837 on: November 26, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
^ Glad at least someone else is watching Runaways! As you mentioned about humanizing the parents: very good choice. And in fact, I believe I saw an interview or something with one of the showrunners where he actually said, "There are no villains on this show." While I don't take that completely literally, I do think it'll be nice to see the very human motivations behind what we would normally consider evil actions.

Can't wait for episode 4 on Tuesday, and really -- MOAR of you guys should be watching!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #838 on: November 26, 2017, 09:04:15 PM »
Finished the Punisher.

WOAH. This is an amazing show. I loved every damn minute of it. Just the writing, directing, acting, was so top notch. Nothing felt pointless or wasted, everything served the greater story. Just incredible. Top notch show, one of the best Netflix shows.

I've only been able to watch the first 6 episodes, but I agree with you, it is amazing! Can't wait to watch the rest of it.

Online Adami

« Reply #839 on: November 26, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »
I was pretty nervous.

I thought Iron Fist was a HUGE step down.

Even though I mostly enjoyed it, I also thought Defenders was a step down from what it should have been. Felt very much like a half baked idea.

And when I thought it couldn't get worse than Iron Fist, they released Inhumans which was barely watchable. So I was pretty nervous about Punisher.

Luckily between Punisher and Runaways, Marvel seems to be on the upswing.

I do wonder though where The Runaways falls in all of this. Can they reference anything? Are they allowed to call Molly a mutant? Will Karolina's Skrull boyfriend eventually show up?
fanticide.bandcamp.com