Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250234 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #630 on: August 21, 2017, 07:09:59 AM »
I give it  :tup  :tup

"You look ridiculous."
"It's your scarf..."
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #631 on: August 21, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
I think it was in the trailer, but I loved:

"Nice ears"
"They're horns"

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: August 21, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
Jessica is my favorite of the heroes.

I thought the Defenders was masterfully done. Each person's arch was carried slightly further so their actions all felt like natural extensions of the individual series yet were still appropriate for the "team up." If that make sense.

*Spoilers"

I thought the ending implies that Danny will take the mantle of Dare Devil (which is filming even as we speak) to continue Mathews fight for protecting New York. Did anyone else get the same impression?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #633 on: August 21, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »

I thought the Defenders was masterfully done. Each person's arch was carried slightly further so their actions all felt like natural extensions of the individual series yet were still appropriate for the "team up." If that make sense.

*Spoilers"

I thought the ending implies that Danny will take the mantle of Dare Devil (which is filming even as we speak) to continue Mathews fight for protecting New York. Did anyone else get the same impression?

I got that impression at first, but seeing him on the roof alone and Finn Jones saying he hopes to see Iron Fist in his own costume soon kind of rules that out. Plus, given the response to Iron Fist and Finn Jones, specifically, making him Daredevil would completely kill their reviews for season 3, unless he's Daredevil for like 10 minutes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #634 on: August 21, 2017, 10:18:27 AM »
Hey guys!

I am 3 episodes into The Defenders, really enjoying it so far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #635 on: August 21, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Hey guys!

I am 3 episodes into The Defenders, really enjoying it so far.

SPOILERS FOR YOU

...it gets even better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #636 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »

*Spoilers"

I got that impression at first, but seeing him on the roof alone and Finn Jones saying he hopes to see Iron Fist in his own costume soon kind of rules that out. Plus, given the response to Iron Fist and Finn Jones, specifically, making him Daredevil would completely kill their reviews for season 3, unless he's Daredevil for like 10 minutes.
Unless you mean on a very temporary basis (like, an episode) then I definitely do not see that happening at all, and I don't think it's at all implied.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #637 on: August 21, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »

*Spoilers"

Unless you mean on a very temporary basis (like, an episode) then I definitely do not see that happening at all, and I don't think it's at all implied.

Even though I don't like the idea, because of Finn Jones, it has happened in the comics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #638 on: August 21, 2017, 05:06:27 PM »
Just finished it, outfuckingstanding. And loved the Punisher trailer at the end, holy shit does that look killer.

I'll add more when peeps have finished.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #639 on: August 22, 2017, 05:45:00 AM »
Two more to go.  Will finish tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: August 22, 2017, 02:59:51 PM »
At first I was disappointed it was only 8 episodes.  Although I thought the final episode felt a little bit rushed, I'm not sure how they would've drawn it out to 12/13 episodes - and I'm glad they didn't.  Luke Cage certainly didn't need to go on that long.

"I'm not hugging you".   :lol

And is Danny Rand the dumbest person on the face of the planet, or what?  I mean, ffs, he gave them exactly what they wanted.  Show some goddamn restraint already.  He's fooled about as easily as my dog when I say "cookie?".  I had a few Powerman/Iron Fist comics as a kid, and I don't remember him being such a moron.

Overall, excellent.  The final episode had some minor annoyances, but I'll get over them.

SOOOOOOOO looking forward to Frank Castle's return.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: August 22, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
And is Danny Rand the dumbest person on the face of the planet, or what? 

No. Not by a long shot. Let's look at Game of Thrones, for instance. Here is a short list of people dumber than Danny Rand.

EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #642 on: August 23, 2017, 12:09:08 AM »
I haven't had a chance to watch Defenders yet! I've been rigorously working on a tv show at Warner Bros the past month (I'm not allowed to say what it is), and I haven't had a lot of personal time, and that time that I do have off goes to spending time with my girlfriend, so I have lots of catching up to do with my tv and film watching, sans Game of Thrones. I always make time after a 14 hr day on set for GOT. But it sounds like from what everyone is saying is that Iron Fist disappoints once again. Do you think it's how the character has been written or do think the actor isn't bringing it to the table, or both.

Offline Adami

« Reply #643 on: August 23, 2017, 12:20:09 AM »
I haven't had a chance to watch Defenders yet! I've been rigorously working on a tv show at Warner Bros the past month (I'm not allowed to say what it is), and I haven't had a lot of personal time, and that time that I do have off goes to spending time with my girlfriend, so I have lots of catching up to do with my tv and film watching, sans Game of Thrones. I always make time after a 14 hr day on set for GOT. But it sounds like from what everyone is saying is that Iron Fist disappoints once again. Do you think it's how the character has been written or do think the actor isn't bringing it to the table, or both.

Iron Fist gets a lot better in the 2nd half (of the Defenders) and really isn't atrocious in the rest. His general arc is poor in this show, and his acting isn't great, but he was way worse in his own show. He's the weakest part of this one for sure, but isn't the abomination people are claiming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #644 on: August 23, 2017, 02:21:27 AM »
He's fine in The Defenders, people are just being a bit silly.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #645 on: August 23, 2017, 03:13:57 AM »
Holy crap, Finn Jones is British too!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: August 23, 2017, 04:18:28 AM »

For the most part, I agree.  But in the final episode... c'mon.  How can you be that fucking stupid?  A seven year old could see what she was planning/trying to do with him.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #647 on: August 23, 2017, 05:13:24 AM »

For the most part, I agree.  But in the final episode... c'mon.  How can you be that fucking stupid?  A seven year old could see what she was planning/trying to do with him.
Sure, but he's still developing. His early upbringing was a privileged rich kid, and then from age 11 or whatever it was all Iron Fist training in the middle of nowhere. He hasn't had any normal adulthood, or life generally really. He was crap at interpersonal relationships as they haven't really featured in his life, and he doesn't have much clue about strategy or tactics. He's obsessive and one-tracked and, yeah, kinda annoying and a bit useless. On the relationships side, that's starting to change as he interacts with people and sees things from a different perspective (some great moments with Luke Cage). He's also listening to people more, but still rushes in and makes stupid mistakes. All consistent with the origin story they're telling.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: August 23, 2017, 05:47:06 AM »
^ Good points.  I get the interpersonal relationship side of things, but you'd think that the monks of Kun Lun would be able to teach him some intellect and/or common sense.  When The Hand makes it explicitly clear they need THE IRON FIST, you don't start fighting with your IRON FIST, and throw a punch right in front of the fucking door!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #649 on: August 23, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
^ Good points.  I get the interpersonal relationship side of things, but you'd think that the monks of Kun Lun would be able to teach him some intellect and/or common sense.  When The Hand makes it explicitly clear they need THE IRON FIST, you don't start fighting with your IRON FIST, and throw a punch right in front of the fucking door!
A couple of thoughts:

1. I agree it's not unreasonable to expect that, but the impression that has been given is that his training was on how to fight, how to get his chi in balance, etc. I don't recall anything even hinting at him learning about tactics, strategy, how to read your enemy (though am happy to be corrected). I say this having never read the comics, so am going only on what's been presented in the Netflix shows. Possibly a failing on the part of the elders at K'un Lun to have not actually prepared him properly, meaning he has to learn this all for himself.

2. In that particular scene you refer to in small font, I'm not sure he was thinking rationally. Because of his background, he's obsessive and a bit selfish and was reacting emotionally, like he does to most things.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: August 23, 2017, 07:24:14 AM »
That's true... both shows portrayed him as immensely immature and impulsive at times.  IMO, that step in the story defied all logic - necessary to continue to playout the storyline, but had me :getoffmylawn: at his stupidity.  I think he'd even said earlier in the episode that he wasn't going to do the exact thing he did, but then he was easily goaded into it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #651 on: August 23, 2017, 08:10:11 AM »
Rented Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 last night.  Those movies are so much fun.  Great humor, great characters and an interesting story.  It's going to be so much fun to watch them interact with the Avengers next year. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #652 on: August 23, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
I didn't have a problem with Iron Fist in the Defenders.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #653 on: August 25, 2017, 12:34:25 AM »

Sure, but he's still developing. His early upbringing was a privileged rich kid, and then from age 11 or whatever it was all Iron Fist training in the middle of nowhere. He hasn't had any normal adulthood, or life generally really. He was crap at interpersonal relationships as they haven't really featured in his life, and he doesn't have much clue about strategy or tactics. He's obsessive and one-tracked and, yeah, kinda annoying and a bit useless. On the relationships side, that's starting to change as he interacts with people and sees things from a different perspective (some great moments with Luke Cage). He's also listening to people more, but still rushes in and makes stupid mistakes. All consistent with the origin story they're telling.
I get what you are saying, but he's still annoying as fuck. They need to allow for massive growth in this character before season 2.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #654 on: September 06, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »
2 months until Thor.  Yay!  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #655 on: September 06, 2017, 09:50:59 PM »
2 months until Thor.  Yay!  :D

HELL YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Ihumans reviews for the first 2 episodes in IMAX are coming out by people who love even the worst comic book movies. They say it's the worst comic book related thing they've seen.

Poor Inhumans. They deserve better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #656 on: September 06, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »
Yeah, once I heard that Marvel's goal was just make it "fast and cheap", I lost faith in that project.

Offline Adami

« Reply #657 on: September 06, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
Yeah, once I heard that Marvel's goal was just make it "fast and cheap", I lost faith in that project.

I wonder why they made it though. If they didn't have the budget or time needed.....why do it? No one was going nuts for an Inhumans show. I think if they scrapped the project, the  audience would have said "Oh. Okay, luckily there are 40 other comic book shows to watch."

Don't get me wrong, I love inhumans from the comics. The notion of equality through diversity is really interesting. The idea of terrigenesis as a rite of passage for all inhumans and the expectations for the aftermath is fascinating. The characters are weird, unique, colorful, all over the place. It's great. But this show looks like it took absolutely none of those things.

It'd be like an X-Men show or movie where the entire world accepts and loves mutants.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #658 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
I loved Anson Mount on Hell on Wheels AnIwan Rheond in Game Of Thrones so it had promise. Sigh.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #659 on: September 07, 2017, 05:04:09 PM »
Hmm, guess I'll hold off dropping IMAX money on it then. I've been re-watching all the non Iron Fist Netflix series, and they are outstanding the second time through, especially JJ and LC. It's amazing how good these are when they're developed around three dimensional, well written characters.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #660 on: September 08, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
Question:  How do you guys feel about Marvel kind of messing up and breaking the MCU time continuity through what appear to just be mistakes?  For those not familiar with the issue, it seemed like the timeline was consistent and we could place the events of all the films in a fairly clear timeline up until recently.  Unfortunately, Doctor Strange had some inconsistencies in it that threw things off a bit.  Then Spiderman: Homecoming threw things off even more.  There is rumor that Thor: Ragnorok similarly throws things off.  I would link to an article that explains it more fully, but there are tons out there, and they are all a bit different in terms of what is supposedly wrong and how, and I'm not sure which one is the most correct.

In any case, the timeline has inconsistencies.  I haven't tried to iron out the details myself, but it seems like there are just small things that contradict that have to be ignored and cannot be reconciled. 

So, what do people think of that?  Some apparently are up in arms and feel is a significant quality control issue that taints the entire franchise.  For me, it is minor in the overall scope of things.  If the movies themselves are good, and together tell a fairly cohesive story of this massive universe Marvel has created, it's okay with me if there are minor continuity problems.  Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even noticed the continuity issues if they hadn't been pointed out.  They just don't rise to a significant level for me.  Anyone disagree?  Just curious.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: September 08, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
The Spider-Man one just seemed sloppy ... "8 Years later" simply needed to be "4 years later".  Unless there is indeed a specific reason that explains it (presumably with the Time Stone during Infinity Wars), I'm just going to chalk it up to sloppiness.  The ones from Doctor Strange were actually much more confounding, because some of them contradicted one another - some suggesting it takes place in 2016/2017 and between Ultron/Civil War; while other things suggest it takes place much later.

And considering how "un"-sloppy most of the MCU has been, I'm going to say this is all planned, and will be fleshed out during Infinity Wars.

Of course, they could jus retcon the conflicting timelines - and say... push the events of Civil War to be 2019.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #662 on: September 08, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
The Spider-Man one just seemed sloppy ... "8 Years later" simply needed to be "4 years later".  Unless there is indeed a specific reason that explains it (presumably with the Time Stone during Infinity Wars), I'm just going to chalk it up to sloppiness.
Not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere that it was so that they could retcon the kid at Stark expo being a young Peter Parker.  4 years wouldn't have worked for that angle.

And considering how "un"-sloppy most of the MCU has been, I'm going to say this is all planned, and will be fleshed out during Infinity Wars.

I don't think so.  Feige pretty much admitted that after phase I, they have just been more loose with the timeline.  Unless that is intentional misdirection, I take him at his word.  So, I think they ARE being pretty careful about making sure the important details further the agenda.  But in terms of a strict chronology, I think it's just too much to try to keep on top of, so things are slipping through the cracks.

Offline Adami

« Reply #663 on: September 08, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
The Spider-Man thing is just silly. They had no reason or need to retcon Peter as that kid in Iron Man II. Beyond that, it may have very well just been a mistake.

The Doctor Strange thing is just poor writing. The beginning of the movie cements it taking place no earlier than 2016. ALL they really had to do was change that beginning date to like 2012 and the made sure we know that it takes place over several years. That's all.

No one's perfect. They're all quality movies (mostly), so a few screw ups here and there I can let go.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #664 on: September 08, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
The Doctor Strange thing is just poor writing. The beginning of the movie cements it taking place no earlier than 2016. 

Well, maybe.  The appearance of Avengers Tower would seem to put it during the time as the events in Age of Ultron.  But then we have Pangborn saying his accident happened years before, and the date of his x-ray being December 2014.