Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248553 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #420 on: April 19, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
BTW, got tickets for me & the fam for GOTG V. 2 in IMAX 3D for Thursday May 4th.  One day before ROSFest, which means the epic weekend gets that much epicer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #421 on: April 20, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »
The past few weeks, Disney California Adventure has been slowly taking down the rafters and revealing The Collector's Fortress, which is the home to the new Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout ride that has replaced The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror. Here's a few pics I snapped

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #422 on: April 20, 2017, 01:36:47 AM »
They put PARLIAMENT on the soundtrack???!! Got me dancing down the isles... :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #423 on: April 20, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
I've just gotta say, I have spent the last week or so re-watching Daredevil season 2, and it's a damn shame how much better it was than Iron Fist.  I can hardly tell they were produced by the same company.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #424 on: April 20, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
For me it was slightly better, but not much in it. DD season 1 much superior though, and JJ better still.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #425 on: April 20, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »
Daredevil season 2 felt like it had a fair amount of bloat to it. Probably the first time I thought they should have had a shorter season for any of the Marvel shows. The bloat was still awesome though, and few moments in TV have had me as amped up as when you saw Punisher and Kingpin together in jail :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #426 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
I've just gotta say, I have spent the last week or so re-watching Daredevil season 2, and it's a damn shame how much better it was than Iron Fist.  I can hardly tell they were produced by the same company.

Definitely. I couldn't even finish Iron Fist. I think it was just painfully obvious that the heart wasn't in it by the people who made it and it was more than likely rushed to finish up the set up for The Defenders. Shouldn't have been.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #427 on: April 21, 2017, 02:06:21 AM »
I pretty much agree with all of that. Although I had the same feelings about Luke Cage. I had high hopes for that, but alas.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Art

« Reply #428 on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:34 AM »
For me, it's:

DD1>DD2>>>>>>>LC>IF>>>>>>>JJ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #429 on: April 22, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »
How can you have JJ under LC and IF? I don't get it at all

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #430 on: April 22, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
Me neither. Jessica Jones is my favorite of the Netflix shows so far. It also has the best villain of the entire MCU to date.

Offline Art

« Reply #431 on: April 22, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
JJ did nothing for me. I feel it could be cut at least in half, and we would get exactly the same story...IF and LC also suffer from this "stretching out" effect, but with JJ it was too much, IMHO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #432 on: April 24, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
Different strokes for different strokes.

But I don't get it either.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #433 on: April 27, 2017, 02:47:38 AM »
So I watched Guardians 2 last night, fun time was had. Not gonna write a long spoiler-ish post so let's keep it somewhat short and simple for now.

1. First Guardians is better, but Volume 2 was funnier. Similar to Avengers and Age of Ultron, this time they went for more jokes and a lot of them hit.
2. The characters are all still great and likable and the new additions work really well
3. Main problem is the story/structure. Without spoiling anything, You don't really know what's happening until the last 30 minutes or so.

And while 3 is a somewhat big problem that has sunk other superhero movies, for me 1 & 2 helped making up for it a bit. It falls towards the bottom half of the Marvel films but because the characters are great and most of the jokes hit, it was a really enjoyable experience even though there were no real signs of where the movie was going until the second half.

So would still recommend. :)

ALSO, there are FIVE post-credits scenes this time. So if you care about those, don't leave after the first 2 post-credits scenes like some people did. :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:57:39 AM by Zantera »

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #434 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
Seeing it tomorrow! Can't wait!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #435 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
Finished up my re-watch of Daredevil season 2.  Better the second time, and it was good to get the bad taste out of my mouth caused by Iron Fist.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: April 28, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
Saw Guardians 2 tonight. Really liked it, very fun movie.

Drax stole the show in terms of jokes, dude was great.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #437 on: April 29, 2017, 12:07:44 AM »
I won a contest and I'm seeing it on Monday.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #438 on: April 29, 2017, 09:46:01 AM »
I saw GOTGv2 in 4dx yesterday. I wasn't completely sold on the whole 4dx thing, but the movie was great!
It doesn't quite reach the level of awesomness that the first movie had, but I'd still place it in the better half of the MCU-movies.
The flow is a bit wonky, but it all comes neatly together in the end.
Drax and Baby Groot stole the show. I also really liked the chemistry between Mantis/Drax, Rocket/Yondu, Nebula/Gamora and Ego/Starlord.
All in all, a really cool movie  :D

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #439 on: April 29, 2017, 02:02:16 PM »
One of my only negatives with the movie is that I think they milked Baby Groot a bit too much. Just maybe a few too many "look how cute he is!" moments. Otherwise almost everything was great though.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #440 on: April 29, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
Suffered a bit in the final battle with the standard super powerful villain just throws the heroes around, rather than you know - just destroying them.  But that a side it was a very fun movie - also 5 post credit scenes!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #441 on: May 01, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »
Back to Agents of SHIELD:  Still an episode behind, but am starting to lose interest.  So, apparently, if your video game avatar dies in the video game, you die in real life?  Um...this show is rapidly losing credibility and becoming such a disappointment.  Which is a shame, because I have really enjoyed it for quite some time.  Oh well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #442 on: May 02, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »
I still think it's good, and this whole framework story is really fun.

So, apparently, if your video game avatar dies in the video game, you die in real life?  Um...this show is rapidly losing credibility and becoming such a disappointment.

Why is that an issue for you?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #443 on: May 02, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »

It's hard to put into words, but...Well, good fiction, especially when we're talking sci-fi and superheroes, obviously requires you to suspend belief and pretend things are real that you know aren't.  But there are limits to how far you can go without it feeling silly.  And despite those specific areas where we the audience are asked to suspend belief, these stories are set in a world that is supposed to be real.  That's why they work so well, because we can imagine them actually happening IF superpowers were real, and IF it were possible right now to create IA as advanced as ADA.  I just feel that the writers are going too far and asking too much.  They are asking to suspend belief to a point that it just feels fake and silly, which doesn't match the tone of the show. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #444 on: May 02, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »
But a frozen man chemically enhanced survives in ice for decades to be revived and return to being a superhero is not a bit silly?

That's just one example.  Suspend your disbelieve bosk1!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #445 on: May 02, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »

It's hard to put into words, but...Well, good fiction, especially when we're talking sci-fi and superheroes, obviously requires you to suspend belief and pretend things are real that you know aren't.  But there are limits to how far you can go without it feeling silly.  And despite those specific areas where we the audience are asked to suspend belief, these stories are set in a world that is supposed to be real.  That's why they work so well, because we can imagine them actually happening IF superpowers were real, and IF it were possible right now to create IA as advanced as ADA.  I just feel that the writers are going too far and asking too much.  They are asking to suspend belief to a point that it just feels fake and silly, which doesn't match the tone of the show.

Did you have the same problem with The Matrix? 

Because it's the same principle, with the same results.  Injuries sustained in the Framework (Matrix) are received by the individual's body as they are plugged in

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: May 02, 2017, 01:54:42 PM »
What I'm having the hardest time with is, I'm now supposed to believe that deep down Fitz is murderous, amoral, sycophant with violent tendencies, but Ward is all noble, sweet and self-sacrificing.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #447 on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
What I'm having the hardest time with is, I'm now supposed to believe that deep down Fitz is murderous, amoral, sycophant with violent tendencies, but Ward is all noble, sweet and self-sacrificing.

Well Ward is a computer program at this point. He could be whatever.

The point with Fitz was how big of a difference one change in your life can make. It's not so much that he's all of those things, but that he could become those things with different circumstances.

Sadly the show kind of glazed over what those changes are and just went with "Yea, his dad loved him this time" which wasn't quite enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »

Sure, just throw out thoughtful and obvious arguments that should occur to anyone paying the slightest amount of attention and totally expose me for what I am. A loser  :loser:

Offline Adami

« Reply #449 on: May 02, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »

Sure, just throw out thoughtful and obvious arguments that should occur to anyone paying the slightest amount of attention and totally expose me for what I am. A loser  :loser:

Then I can finally stop posting in this thread. Mission accomplished.

Hail Hydra!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: May 02, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #451 on: May 02, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #452 on: May 02, 2017, 03:48:30 PM »
Honestly I really have been loving this whole season. I love the mini arcs.

I have no issues with the mainframe. The dying part makes perfect sense from a writing perspective, or else there's no consequences and everyone can just do anything. Also, I've seen enough similar plots in scifi that I'm used to it.

I was pretty moved by Patriot's last scenes. I am also glad to have the real May back, even though I loved how LMD May went out.

I dunno, I just really like this show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #453 on: May 03, 2017, 05:39:37 AM »
Also, the framework (and Ada) being so ridiculously advanced is because they built it using the darkhold. It hasn't really been talked about as much lately, so I suppose that could be easy to forget. I remember 2 or 3 weeks ago I basically had the same thoughts as bosk, thinking it really weird that Radcliffe could build all this amazing stuff, until I remembered the darkhold.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #454 on: May 03, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »