Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248466 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
 :tup
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
Just finished the first season.

I have to change one of my opinions. At the beginning, I thought Finn Jones was a good actor who was just given bad material, I now have to say that, while he did have his moments, he is just not the right actor for this role. Between his very weak martial arts and his....bad acting....he's just not the right fit for how they wrote Danny Rand. Hopefully he'll be better in Defenders as he'll have a different dynamic to play.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #317 on: March 21, 2017, 01:13:39 AM »
I agree.. I started to hate some of his face expressions during his series. He lacks charisma as well. I hope they "fix" him in The Defenders.

Just finished the season as well. I enjoyed it, but it's probably my least favorite of the Marvel/Netflix shows.

The kung-fu stuff is very silly at times. Isn't Danny Rand supposed to be the best martial artist in Marvel? He just jumps around and punches about, and gets kicked around a lot as well. Daredevil would kick his ass  :lol
There ain't really that much "Iron-Fisting" either. The best Iron Fist scene isn't even from Danny Rand, but from the couple of seconds of black and white footage we've shown of the old Iron Fist.

I liked the Ward character more and more during the series. Colleen Wing was probably the character i enjoyed the most (and she's not exactly painful to look at  :coolio )
The story wasn't shit. It's what saves the series. But there are TONS of plot holes and wierd twists and turns that are just...bad..

Iron Fist is one of the coolest obscure characters in the Marvel universe, so it disappoints me that they messed it up.
I've heard that they had to rush the writing and production of Iron Fist so they could release The Defenders this fall. It really shows!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #318 on: March 21, 2017, 03:59:04 AM »
The actually character of Iron Fist on this show is awful, and it probably isn't helped by the actor.   

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: March 21, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
Finished the season today. I liked it. Didn't know anything at all going in so I was happy to see that the Hand was involved and it made me realize that a grand confrontation with them is probably what these Defenders shows have been building towards.

My favorite characters were the Meachum siblings, who I thought were just thoroughly interesting people with engaging stories. Other characters could be a bit frustrating at times, but other than that they were fine.

So yeah, I liked this season. Not as much as Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but loads more than Luke Cage.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: March 21, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Doctor Strange is on PlayStation Video for £3.50.

I might do that later. Then i'll have seen every MCU movie except Civil War.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2017, 05:07:38 PM »
Well that was alright. It didn't blow me away.

Not as fun as the first Iron Man but so much better than Iron man 2.

I think i'd put it on the same level as a Thor movie**. Entertaining for 2 hours and now i've seen it.

Better than a lot of Phase I but not better than anything in Phase II.

** EDIT - Actually it's about the same as Ant Man for me. An origin story with cool visuals and the new dimension at the end.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:13:21 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »
I enjoyed it.  I will watch it again.  But, yeah, I don't rate it up there very high.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2017, 05:36:41 PM »
I'm hoping Marvel looks at Logan and Deadpool and tries to change their game a bit.

Obviously I don't mean go R rated, since they'll never do that, nor do they need to, but make a different kind of movie. Marvel has set the bar for superhero movies, but we get it already. Not counting the two Russo brothers movies, these movies very much follow the same formula. That formula has worked for a long time, but no we have been shown that you can make different kinds of comic book movies, and I hope Marvel takes advantage of that.

We'll see, I guess, with Spiderman, Thor and Black Panther. Guardians was their own venture into something very different and it succeeded, wish they kept trying new things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
They may do if the movie grosses start to tail off.

Online Adami

« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
So apparently Finn Jones said that, for his fight scenes, he learned the choreography like 15 min before filming.

It showed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2017, 01:51:30 AM »
I actually never noticed anything off about his fighting. I thought he was fine.

Online Adami

« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:06 AM »
I actually never noticed anything off about his fighting. I thought he was fine.

Honestly, the dude is supposed to be the master of Kung Fu. We got better fight scenes in every other Marvel Netflix show.

He wasn't awful, but he wasn't the master of Kung Fu. He wasn't Iron Fist. He knew a few moves.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #328 on: March 22, 2017, 02:45:41 AM »
Probably a case of ignorance being bliss - I can't say I know any kung fu, so wouldn't know what to look out for, but I thought he seemed pretty good.

I also hadn't interpreted it as him being the absolute best fighter in terms of strength/technique/moves/etc, but rather that he learned how to channel his inner strength (or whatever) in order to summon the Iron Fist. Might have missed something though, or again might be ignorance of the character from the comics.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #329 on: March 22, 2017, 03:21:18 AM »
Just watched episode 4 with the hallway/elevator fight. Looked pretty solid to me. I'm also not too familiar with the character, but it looks like a fun, if somewhat slow start to the show. I'm interested in the interaction with the other Defenders later on.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:48 AM »
Also he states on multiple occasions that he hasn't finished his training. I don't recall the exact circumstances he said it but I remember hearing it a few times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: March 22, 2017, 05:34:31 AM »
I enjoyed it.  I will watch it again.  But, yeah, I don't rate it up there very high.

Also Mads was very under used. Apart from a couple of fisticuffs scenes - he barely did anything in the movie.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2017, 02:31:12 AM »
Iron Fist is bad.

Very disappointed, as I much prefer these Netflix shows over the films. The actor playing Danny Rand is comparable to Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars prequels. Whiney, overacting, and very stale.

Claire this time around just didn't work, and honestly felt forced. At least she had a purpose to be in Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage.

The writing and dialogue throughout Iron Fist felt very weak. The show’s tone felt inconsistent; like it wasn't sure when to be campy or when to go serious.

Thank god for David Wenham. He was the only reason I kept watching after four or five episodes in.

And Jessica Henwick. My god, she's so damn cute.

I think bringing in Iron Fist probably would have been better served in The Defenders, I think.  In terms of the over all plot and stripping it down to individual episodes, Iron Fist failed.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »
Unless it goes off track towards the end like Luke Cage did then I think I'll be ranking it third out of the four.
Same.
Well, it did.

Man, the last three episodes were a trainwreck, especially the finale. 

I am VERY disappointed with this show.  Other than Daredevil, this was the Netflix show I was anticipating the most when the initial announcement was made.  So much could have been done with this character, and it just wasn't.  It's almost as if, for the first time, Marvel entrusted one of their properties to a creative team who just didn't fully understand or love the character.  At least that's how it felt to me.

Parts of it were fun, and Colleen Wing saved the show from being a complete shitstorm.  But Claire was apparently just shoehorned in "because", and then was given WAY too large a role for an out-of-work nurse.  The Hand was nowhere near as scary or foreboding here as they were in Daredevil.

Danny Rand was pretty pathetic as a character, especially as a protagonist.  I know it isn't all on Finn Jones; he's not a bad actor.  But all you can do is all you can do, with the script and direction you are given.

Other than Colleen Wing, the most interesting character was Ward Meachum, IMO.

They missed real opportunities by NOT featuring the costume (the uniform of the Iron Fist) or showing Shou-Lao the dragon. 

Iron Fist was easily the worst thing produced thus far by Marvel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: March 27, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
^ I agree with all of that. So many missed opportunities.

I thought it was an interesting idea to have a different faction of The Hand competing for dominance with different methods. Yet, this Scientology type faction wasn't as creepy as it could (should) have been.

The last several episodes had some cool choreographed fights yet nothing was really resolved and left me scratching my head more that thinking "fuck yeah."

I now have very low expectations for The Defenders.

Online Adami

« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2017, 09:17:38 AM »
I now have very low expectations for The Defenders.

I wouldn't. As far as I know, it's being handled by different people than Iron Fist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
Haven't seen the finale yet, but I've been enjoying Iron Fist just fine, still probably roughly on a par with Luke Cage, maybe slightly better (won't be able to judge until after I've finished). It's weird - normally I can see why people like/dislike something when my opinion is the opposite, but on this occasion I don't really understand it. Ho hum.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2017, 03:02:11 AM »
Just saw the episode where he's getting his Ass handed to him first by the guy in China, ' Drunken-Master'  style....what is up with that?!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »
I thought that was pretty cool.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
Yeah, I saw that earlier today. Very cool!

Online Adami

« Reply #341 on: March 28, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
That was a great trailer. I'm hoping Michael Keaton is their best villain in a while. Really looks like they're giving him motivation and personality.

Also that whole line about not deserving the suit was great. I'm increasingly excited for this movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »
That was a great trailer. I'm hoping Michael Keaton is their best villain in a while. Really looks like they're giving him motivation and personality.

Also that whole line about not deserving the suit was great. I'm increasingly excited for this movie.
Same here.  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
Michael Keaton as Birdman  is in an MCU movie ? Holy Crossover Irony Batman !

Keaton stated that Toomes was "interesting to play" and would not be completely villainous, saying "there’s parts of him that you go, 'You know what? I might see his point.'"

They all say this - and then they're always generic bad guy wants revenge.

Always. :p

Online Adami

« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »
Having a bad guy who wants revenge is fine.

But we need to see why he wants revenge, and empathize with that need. It can't just be stated and then we're told to simply accept it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
I really like how Vulture seems like a genuine threat. Sure, compare him to Green Goblin, Venom, Carnage or Doc Ock (or some of the other villains) and he is a bit of a throwaway villain, but with Peter still learning to be a superhero, I like the fact that he seems to be going in way over his head in this fight, and that even Tony tells him to let the big boys deal with it. If handled well, could be a nice coming of age arc with Peter really being the underdog and stepping up.

Online Adami

« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2017, 03:54:27 PM »
Also all the little character moments or minor details, like Ganke putting on the mask for a minute, or seeing how he puts on his suit in a way that makes sense. Really good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »
Also all the little character moments or minor details, like Ganke putting on the mask for a minute, or seeing how he puts on his suit in a way that makes sense. Really good.

And, what he comes up with on his own after it's repossessed.  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
And it looked like what a kid like him could realistically make. I know he made his own suit in the comics, and that's cool. That said, I've always had an issue with how he does it in the movies. They did Tobey's okay because it had multiple variations and showed him working up to it. Andrew's was just....yea, no way he's making that thing.

So for this one, having Stark make it was genius and added a level of believability to it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »
But these movies aren't grounded or realistic. So as a Spider-Man fan, I DO have a problem with Peter Parker relying on Tony Stark for his suit.

That was poorly put together trailer, by the way. The teaser one was way better.