Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248478 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2016, 09:01:15 AM »
In contrast to the GotG teaser, the new Logan trailer is out and it is emotional when you think this will be the final appearance of Jackman as Wolverine. Great music choice to the trailer as well, overall I'm hyped.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:48 AM »
Yea, the Logan trailer was amazing. Looks like it's going to be a very different comic book movie, which excites me.

Also, Laura looks way better than I thought she would, given her age.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »
Logan does look sweet. It's going to be interesting to see what they do after Jackman.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2016, 02:36:49 PM »
Hot damn, that movie looks good. It looks like a FILM, and not a video game carbon copy

Online Adami

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
Yea, watched the Logan trailer a few more times. I am extremely into it, but also very nervous. I was really into the Suicide Squad trailer and hated that movie. So I'm hoping the movie lives up to the trailer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
A review of Doctor Strange by James Gunn (director of the Guardians of the Galaxy films):

Had a blast last night at Dr. Strange, even though they sat us next to Rooker. Director Scott Derrickson did a great job exploring the occult corner of Marvel just as Guardians and I did the cosmic side. The movie is a visual behemoth - the use of the neon fluorescents in particular I found a bold and exciting choice that took us out of the color palettes of so many modern films. It's probably the first Marvel Studios movie outside of Guardians truly worth seeing in 3D IMAX - and please, please see it that way if you choose to go. Stephane Ceretti, who did the VFX for Guardians, did Strange as well and just KILLED it. The cast is nearly pitch perfect, the movie is a total trip, and, best of all, I got to see tons of old friends. A great night!

But of course, the best line is:

Had a blast last night at Dr. Strange, even though they sat us next to Rooker.

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »
Not a part of the MCU, but apparently Tim Miller has left Deadpool 2.

And my excitement has dropped a decent amount. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »

Creative differences with Ryan Reynolds. Hmmm.

Online Adami

« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »

Yea, it's a real shame. As much as I love Ryan as Wade, the directing for Deadpool was one of the highlights. I mean, if the script writers leave, I might be out too, but there's still some hope. But 25% of the equation leaving is a pretty big blow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »

Yea, it's a real shame. As much as I love Ryan as Wade, the directing for Deadpool was one of the highlights. I mean, if the script writers leave, I might be out too, but there's still some hope. But 25% of the equation leaving is a pretty big blow.

Maybe it's something as simple as the two wanting to tell different stories. If the script writers leave and only Ryan remained from the original team, I think we might still get a decent follow up, but I don't know how great of a writer he is. I'd imagine being a huge fan, and what he already has shown us as the character, and all the improv that it can't be too bad. I'm sure there are other great writers out there that are fans of the comic.

Online Adami

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »
Looks like it may have been centered around the casting of Cable with Reynolds getting final say.

Such a shame.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
It is Reynolds baby.  Without him it would not have been made.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2016, 07:04:39 PM »
It is Reynolds baby.  Without him it would not have been made.

True, but it wasn't just Reynolds that made that film what it was. It was also hugely Tim Miller and the two writers. Those three guys really need a lot of that credit. They were all there as long as Ryan and just as invested.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2016, 07:20:08 PM »
Oh I agree, but this always seems to be the norm in Hollywood.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2016, 07:32:27 PM »
Oh I agree, but this always seems to be the norm in Hollywood.

I agree, but I don't want Deadpool 2 to be typical Hollywood.

It might still be great, but now I am actually a bit hesitant when I wasn't before. I hope it's amazing, because Deadpool is my favorite character. I know they have the right actor and the right writers. I hope they find a new director that loves and understands that world as well as Tim Miller did, and is as able to to create a huge movie out of a tiny budget the way he did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »
And wasn't it Tim Miller's first movie he directed as well?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2016, 07:58:55 AM »
Since the blueprint is there with the first one, I would think that the loss of Miller is less of a blow than the loss of Reynolds or the writers (which is not to say it isn't a concern).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
So it's being reported that Miller wanted to make a more stylized movie with a budget closer to 150 million dollars, while Ryan and the writers wanted to keep it closer to the first movie with a low budget and focus on the comedy.

Man....I wish I had one of those TVs from Rick and Morty so I could see the one we're getting and another universe that got the other.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2016, 06:47:46 AM »
Hate to say it but Luke Cage is a serious drop in quality over the other netflix shows - three more episodes left but it's a struggle as it's so God damn boring.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2016, 06:49:26 AM »
So it's being reported that Miller wanted to make a more stylized movie with a budget closer to 150 million dollars, while Ryan and the writers wanted to keep it closer to the first movie with a low budget and focus on the comedy.

Man....I wish I had one of those TVs from Rick and Morty so I could see the one we're getting and another universe that got the other.

I hear you.

But if that report is correct, I'm kind of glad that Miller is gone.

Of course, they were pretty much allowed to make Deadpool however they wanted, AFAIK.  Since it was so successful, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox executives get their mitts into the sequel to muck it up.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »
So, Dr. Strange is getting pretty good reviews.
Everyone pretty much agrees:
Great performances, AMAZING visuals.
The story isn't groundbreaking, but works.
A bit underwhelming villain.

Most reviews are giving it a 7,5 or 8.
Im looking forward to it!  :biggrin:

Online Adami

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »
Hate to say it but Luke Cage is a serious drop in quality over the other netflix shows - three more episodes left but it's a struggle as it's so God damn boring.

I loved the show but I can see why most people find it boring. I do think that the Netflix shows need to be trimmed down to 10 episodes though. I think that would help with a lot of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2016, 04:09:21 PM »
So I saw Doctor Strange tonight and really liked it. There was one part that was a bit overly wonky, but other than that it was all cool. Also, the villain was really good in my opinion.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »
I think as far as origin-movies in the Marvel universe goes, Dr. Strange might be the best one. The only serious contender for me is Iron Man, and while that movie is really good, I feel like the bad guy in Dr. Strange was more integrated into the plot whereas in Iron Man the bad guy just randomly appeared in the final act so that Iron Man had someone to fight. While not the most fleshed out bad guy, I feel like this time around, we got someone that was a bigger part of the story and the catalyst that started the events, and that worked for me.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. Was it a bit Marvel-formulaic? Sure, they have their formula but I think the execution made it great. They did a good job of making a mindfuck/weird/LSD trippy movie without making it hard to understand. I generally don't have much faith in other people being able to understand things in movies, but out of the 400 people in the theater, I got the impression that most people understood what was happening and why it was happening.

Online Adami

« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »
Yea, I'll be going in expecting it to be a really good origin story with a moderate villain, so I should be good to go. I think if I went in expecting Winter Soldier or Civil War, that'd be a problem.

Either way. Less than a week!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »
Those two are the peak of the MU.  I can't wait to see how theyou treat the Infinity Wars.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2016, 05:12:49 PM »
I don't think Civil War is quite on par with Avengers or Winter Soldier but that's me. I felt a little bit of clashing of tones with going darker (like TWS) for most of the plot, yet the airport scene (while fun on itself) was going for that more fun and lighthearted spirit. For me that clashed a bit. I still very much enjoyed CW and thought it was one of the better movies in the MCU, but it had some clear flaws which a movie like TWS didn't have IMO.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2016, 05:25:33 PM »
To cover all let's say top tier and I'll guess you'll agree.

Online faizoff

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »
I guess this technically belongs here so posting again

Watched Captain America:Civil War again along with the directors and writers commentary, very fun and informative commentary and I think I was on the fence about Civil War being better than winter soldier. CW was a lot of fun rewatching, on first viewing there are so many pieces unfolding that I was unsure where all of it was going and it all made sense in the ending. This also puts me back into Marvel mode again so probably going to do a rewatch of all the movies before Dr.Strange.

I never ranked the Marvel made movies before but I guess here goes, I don't hate any of the movies I like them all so even if the Hulk is ranked last I still enjoy it

1.   Avengers
2.   Iron man
3.   Civil War
4.   Winter Soldier
5.   Guardians of the Galaxy
6.   Iron Man 3
7.   Thor Dark World
8.   Thor
9.   Captain America
10.   Iron Man 2
11.   Age of Ultron
12.   Ant Man
13.   The Incredible Hulk
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »
Watched Captain America:Civil War again along with the directors and writers commentary, very fun and informative commentary and I think I was on the fence about Civil War being better than winter soldier. CW was a lot of fun rewatching, on first viewing there are so many pieces unfolding that I was unsure where all of it was going and it all made sense in the ending.

How funny.  I did exactly that this past weekend.  I fell asleep and did not make it through the entire commentary, but what I did catch was really good.  That and the documentaries REALLY gave me a greater appreciation for Civil War.  I liked it a lot when I first saw it, but there is a lot more to it that falls into place and gives greater meaning from repeat viewings and those extras.  This was definitely a case where the extras are more than just fun little...well, extras.  They actively enhance the viewing experience.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online faizoff

« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
They definitely do enhance the experience. I'm an extras junkie so the more the better. Even though lately the Marvel blurays have been slightly on the shorter side of supplements, usually around an hour with a commentary track, they're still very enjoyable. The CW movie evolution was quite fascinating as they had so many things to pull from and yet make it a cohesive effort, there are so many characters in the movie and to make sure they wanted to do justice to each one. They also touch on the evolution of the movie story and how the 3rd act was a big misdirect with everyone thinking there would be this giant battle with the super soldiers. I'm very happy with the Russo's work and laughed so hard when they said that the staircase car was the same one from Arrested Development. Can't wait for more of their work.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »
I guess this technically belongs here so posting again

Watched Captain America:Civil War again along with the directors and writers commentary, very fun and informative commentary and I think I was on the fence about Civil War being better than winter soldier. CW was a lot of fun rewatching, on first viewing there are so many pieces unfolding that I was unsure where all of it was going and it all made sense in the ending. This also puts me back into Marvel mode again so probably going to do a rewatch of all the movies before Dr.Strange.

I never ranked the Marvel made movies before but I guess here goes, I don't hate any of the movies I like them all so even if the Hulk is ranked last I still enjoy it

1.   Avengers
2.   Iron man
3.   Civil War
4.   Winter Soldier
5.   Guardians of the Galaxy
6.   Iron Man 3
7.   Thor Dark World
8.   Thor
9.   Captain America
10.   Iron Man 2
11.   Age of Ultron
12.   Ant Man
13.   The Incredible Hulk

Roughly similar to mine. 

1. Winter Soldier.
2. Civil War.
3. Guardians.
4. Avengers.
5. Iron Man
6. Ant Man.
7. Iron Man 3
8. Doc Strange.
9. Thor.
10. Age of Ultron.
11. Captain America
12. Incredible Hulk.
13. Thor 2
14. Iron Man 2.

Everything upto and including Cap America are good films.   Only really Iron Man 2 I say I didn't enjoy much.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:51:08 AM by soupytwist »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2016, 08:27:41 AM »
Copied from my post on FB:

Watched Doctor Strange tonight. VERY good. A worthy addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Well written and directed, and a truly incredible cast of actors. Also, some of the most insane, trippiest visual effects I have ever seen. I have no idea how they envisioned it in the first place, much less filmed it. If this movie doesn't get nominated for an Academy Award for visual effects, it will be a crime.

I must say that at first, it was a little odd hearing Benedict Cumberbatch speaking in an American accent. But he was great. Personally, I look forward to future Marvel films, where he can work opposite the established roster, like Robert Downey Jr. or Scarlet Johannson.

For the uber geeks like me : I was a tinge disappointed that Doctor Strange worked his spells without the incantations he used in the comics. However, that's a small concession to make for a film this good.

I would tend to agree with the opinion of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn: if you have the opportunity, I recommend seeing it in IMAX 3D. But see it, by all means.

If you don't have access to IMAX, definitely see it in 3D, at least.

Oh, and the score is pretty good, unlike most Marvel films (what has big their one major flaw, IMHO).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
Pretty much agree with everything above.

I have no idea how they envisioned it in the first place, much less filmed it.

I was thinking this as well. Especially in the bend and chase through mirror dimension New York scene. There was so much going on that I am so impressed that they actually managed to pull it off without it being just a weird mess. It must have taken a long time just to prep and plan for those scenes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2016, 10:25:13 AM »
Yep.  I caught myself watching with my mouth wide open on multiple occasions.