Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248418 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2016, 07:22:19 AM »
We finished up Luke Cage last night.

It is definitely the least enjoyed of the Netflix Marvel series, for us. So much potential with such a great cast, great performances, fantastic music, and the unique Harlem atmosphere. There were some low points in the dialog throughout the series but for the most part the first twelve episodes were engaging and fun. But, that last episode...oh, man, did it just peter-out to a disjointed whimper. It was like everyone was in a scrum, tired out, and just wandered off. The End.

As a side note: I don't think I've seen a series with so many beautiful people before. Lots of eye-candy of both genders.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »
Technically not MCU, but still:

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2016, 09:47:51 AM »
Not sure I like the of making Laura Kinney so young. I hope that's not what they're doing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
Technically not MCU, but still:
*poster*

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Is this for the new Wolverine movie? Heard very little about that one.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Yep!
Apparently they are basing it on the Old Man Logan comic.

Oh, btw:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »
Who let TAC in this thread?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Genuinely cool poster, but I'm not too excited by the idea of another Wolverine movie. Origins is a legendarily bad movie and while "The Wolverine" had a semi-promising beginning it had completely lost me by the end. So let's just hope it's any better than those.

Offline Adami

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
Genuinely cool poster, but I'm not too excited by the idea of another Wolverine movie. Origins is a legendarily bad movie and while "The Wolverine" had a semi-promising beginning it had completely lost me by the end. So let's just hope it's any better than those.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't love The Wolverine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »

I certainly didn't love it, but I liked it better than any of the actual X-Men films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »

I certainly didn't love it, but I liked it better than any of the actual X-Men films.

I liked it better than X-3 and First Class, but the other ones are much better. Even if they lack cute Asian ladies.

I'm hoping in a few years Marvel can do a proper reboot of the X-Verse (while keeping the current Deadpool) and do it properly, without screwing up 95% of the characters.

Won't happen, I know, but I can hope.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
There was a time when I wanted that, but I now think that the MCU simply doesn't need the X-Men.  TBH, I would rather they get the Fantastic Four.

But if they don't get them either, I'm OK with that too.

Of all non-MCU characters, the one I want to see on-screen the most is Namor, but that will probably never happen since DC is going all-in with Aquaman.

Offline Adami

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2016, 01:44:23 PM »
There was a time when I wanted that, but I now think that the MCU simply doesn't need the X-Men.  TBH, I would rather they get the Fantastic Four.

But if they don't get them either, I'm OK with that too.

Of all non-MCU characters, the one I want to see on-screen the most is Namor, but that will probably never happen since DC is going all-in with Aquaman.

I fully agree with all of that. Namor would be amazing. I think if they made him like the comics version it would be fine, since it'd be really different from Aquaman.

For some reason I always pictured Jude Law playing Namor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
I haven't pictured anyone in particular, but Jude Law is certainly a good enough actor to do it.

Not sure he has the physique for it, though.

Offline Adami

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2016, 03:39:25 PM »
I haven't pictured anyone in particular, but Jude Law is certainly a good enough actor to do it.

Namor isn't a huge bloke. He was always deceptively strong. I think Jude Laws version of buff would be just fine.

I've just always seen Namor as suave, charming but also super arrogant and pompous. So obviously British. And Jude just has his face.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2016, 01:16:15 AM »
Finished Luke Cage last night. A bit of a dissapointing ending for me. But as a setup for the next series and the Defenders it will serve, I guess.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2016, 01:39:30 AM »

Namor isn't a huge bloke. He was always deceptively strong. I think Jude Laws version of buff would be just fine.

I've just always seen Namor as suave, charming but also super arrogant and pompous. So obviously British. And Jude just has his face.

I'd go for Lee Byung- Hun.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2016, 03:27:36 AM »
Yeah, looking Namor up yesterday I noticed that the popular opinion on the interwebz seems to be to cast an east asian actor.

I really like Jude Law too though, so that wouldn't upset me at all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2016, 06:41:41 AM »
Who let TAC in this thread?

I'm here for you Hef.  :clap:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
Saw the 2nd episode of Luke Cage. God damn I loved it.

I know quite a few people aren't digging this show because of the pacing. I guess if you go in expecting tons of action and fight scenes you might be disappointed. But I think the character development and plot building is sensational.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2016, 01:12:05 AM »
I wasn't expecting much action, because as I said earlier there's little to no tension in an action scene involving Luke Cage. I thought the character development in the first few episodes was rather weak to be honest. It was a bit too cheesy, and Luke himself is just a bit too good to be as interesting as he could be.

The highlight of character development in those early episodes for me was probably the guys talking sports in Pop's shop. That was good, and is one of the few character moments involving the main character I still remember.

Offline Adami

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
Fair enough. Not for everyone I guess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »
I don't have a problem with the pacing of the first several episodes, or really any individual episode.

I just thought that the first 7 episodes or so are a notch better than the last 6 or so (I forget the exact boundary marker).

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules

Offline Adami

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
Wow. Did not expect that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
She's gotta either be playing The Hand, or they are gonna introduce Typhoid Mary! Whoever she plays, having Weaver in your cast is always a plus! Great news!

EDIT

Here is the NYCC teaser trailer for IRON FIST!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sEJeWB3RA8

Offline Adami

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2016, 11:12:45 PM »
Iron Fist looks pretty damn cool. I know a lot of people are complaining about the lack of action in Luke Cage, so hopefully this will make up for it.

Also I doubt they'd cast a white person as anyone important in The Hand (maybe though) and she's way too old to be Typhoid Mary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2016, 12:03:36 PM »
Cool news.  But I'm not sure how "unexpected" it is.  I mean, with the rate the MCU is expanding, isn't it only a matter of time before anyone with a SAG card gets a role in a Marvel vehicle?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Cool news.  But I'm not sure how "unexpected" it is.  I mean, with the rate the MCU is expanding, isn't it only a matter of time before anyone with a SAG card gets a role in a Marvel vehicle?  :lol

In a movie, sure. It just feels like a big deal for a Netflix show.

I dunno, guess not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »
I enjoyed Luke Cage but it was definitely a step below Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I had a few problems, some of them really bugged me, mainly the tone and the villains. If you haven't watched it yet, SPOILERS.

Alright so if we start with the tone, I feel like it was more over the place than Daredevil or Jessica Jones. Those had some comedy in them, but I feel with Luke Cage it surpassed comedy and went into "this is so crazy and silly I can't believe it". One minute you have a serious moment with Luke Cage and Pops basically having the Uncle Ben talk of great powers and great responsibility and doing your best to be a decent human being but then you have Cottonmouth blowing up a Chinese restaurant with a bazooka. I cried from laughing so hard at that scene. Not necessarily the restaurant blowing up, but you have a crimelord who doesn't send one of his thugs, but rather goes out himself, in his regular suit with a bazooka. It felt so out of place among some of the more serious dramatic scenes.

As far as villains go, they really dropped the ball. I think Cottonmouth was promising,but he left the picture before he got really interesting, and even him at his most interesting just felt like a less interesting Kingpin. Shades was really annoying and had that "I want to punch his face in" quality, but when things couldn't get worse, we get Diamondback. The whole backstory of him being the brother of Luke Cage was so uninteresting and I don't know whether it was the actor or the directing but any time he was on screen, I just wanted to fast forward. It reached a boiling point when he showed up in full Power Rangers costume to fight Luke Cage. Compared to Daredevil and Jessica Jones which had these really great villains like Kilgrave, Punisher and Kingpin, the ones in Luke Cage just fell really flat.

Also, how many times did Misty say "Luke Cage is innocent"?

Anyhow I liked the show but it did start to drag towards the end, and the final episodes became a chore to get through mostly because of Diamondback.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
Guardians of the galaxy vol 2 teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0aiMVvnvg

Can't wait!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »

Yup! Looks great!

Also we got a super brief teaser for Logan. Looks like it might take a much more artistic approach. Loved what little we got. Pumped for full trailer I believe tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:12:03 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
:caffeine:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2016, 04:48:40 PM »
The hug scene was brilliant! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2016, 01:24:24 AM »

Yup! Looks great!

Also we got a super brief teaser for Logan. Looks like it might take a much more artistic approach. Loved what little we got. Pumped for full trailer I believe tomorrow.

Yes! New full Logan-trailer later today  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2016, 07:31:37 AM »
The new GOTG 2 teaser and poster were both awesome.