Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248499 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2016, 08:10:48 AM »
I don't think War Machine dying would overshadow that, I think it would have strengthen it.

I would tend to agree.  And with the darker tone of Civil War, I think it kinda needed something like that.  I see what Hef is saying too, and while there is definitely something to that, I think what would have given it gravitas is the relationship that Tony had with Rhodey.  As the audience, we may not care overly about Rhodey, but the impact that that death IMO would have had on Tony would give it more weight for us and, more importantly, would have given more weight to Tony's inner conflict and his conflict with Cap.

But whatever.  Stuff like that is just something you have to know is going to be an issue going in.  You either accept it or get tied in knots over it and let it ruin the experience for you. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 05:27:05 AM »
So I just watched the two first episodes of Luke Cage (NO SPOILERS).
I'm liking it so far. A bit of a slow start, but I guess it's necessary to introduce characters and set up the story.
There's some awkward references to The Avengers and the other shows in the beginning, but I guess they just did that to remind everyone that this is set in the same universe. I forgot about it pretty quick.
Shit was starting to get real in the second half of the second episode. Can't wait to continue the binge!
This show is more of a Harlem based gangster-show, and it works pretty well so far.
Performances are great, and the way it's shot is really cool.
One thing is sure: Luke Cage is a complete badass!  :metal

I'm loving how these Marvel shows are connected, yet they still manage to get a unique tone for each show.
I'm not sure how this will compare to JJ and Daredevil. It doesn't have the same immediate impact that Daredevil had, but neither did Jessica Jones, and I ended up loving it. I'm positive this will end up another great Marvel-show!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
I am 3 episodes in, and it's fantastic.

Definitely set in the same world (city) as DD and JJ, but definitely has a different tone than either of those (and they are different from each other), and a different neighborhod (Harlem, instead of Hell's Kitchen).  Also great to see returning character Turk, and his comment on going back to Hell's Kitchen.

Mike Colter is great as Cage.  Can't wait to see more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
I have a beautiful single lady visiting and staying with me today through Monday.

And it's sucks cause I have to till Monday to start Luke Cage!

Now I know how Brody from Mallrats felt.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »
2 episodes in and I like it so far.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2016, 07:32:19 AM »
Just finished Luke Cage.

Sweet Christmas!

Very enjoyable! Overall, I think Daredevil and Jessica Jones were both a little better, but overall, thumbs up. Mike Colter was great as Luke Cage, and I loved all of the ways the show was connected to the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe. I even caught a Stan Lee cameo (kind of).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
I've watched 7 episodes so far, and I am really liking it. I was supposed to binge it last night, but Netflix was down for hours.. It really pissed me off  :angry:
JJ and Daredevil season 1 was better, but not by a long shot. So far I'm enjoying it more than DD season 2, but I loved DD season 2 as well. These Marvel-shows are so consistent! Can't wait for Iron Fist and The Defenders  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
Agreed.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2016, 08:45:03 AM »
I finished Luke Cage yesterday and overall I really enjoyed it. Though it is my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows so far. Really my only complaint is what I thought was the lack of a strong villain. The villains were not bad by any means but after Fisk and Kilgrave maybe I had set the bar too high for this one to match in that area.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2016, 09:21:21 AM »
I finished Luke Cage yesterday and overall I really enjoyed it. Though it is my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows so far. Really my only complaint is what I thought was the lack of a strong villain. The villains were not bad by any means but after Fisk and Kilgrave maybe I had set the bar too high for this one to match in that area.
I actually like Cottonmouth, but wasn't as keen on Diamondback.  Not going to discuss potential spoilers, for people who haven't caught it yet.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »
I'm up to episode 9 at the moment and I'm really liking it, althoug it got off to a very slow start. Rosaria Dawson really shines in the second half of the series though.

So does the rest of the cast, to be honest.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »
Just finished the show. As I said before, I really liked it. However, after finishing it, it's probably my least favorite of the Marvel-shows.
Daredevil s 2 really picked it up in the last couple of episodes. This one was a bit lacking in the villain-department, was a bit to slow at times and became a bit too cheesy at points in the end. But still, it's a really great show. Putting this at the bottom of the list really only shows how great Daredevil and Jessica Jones are.
Can't wait for Iron Fist and The Defenders!  :metal

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »
Just finished the show. As I said before, I really liked it. However, after finishing it, it's probably my least favorite of the Marvel-shows.

Does that include the non Netflix ones?  AoS and Agent Carter?

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2016, 02:17:36 AM »
It's the Netflix-shows. I haven't seen Agent Carter.
AoS is definitely below Luke Cage IMO.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
Just announced: The Iron Fist premiere date is March 17th next year! :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
Finished it today. I'm not as hyped as others seem to be, mostly because I don't think Luke Cage is a very interesting character. I was more intrigued by most of the support characters. Also, for the majority of the season there was no tension in any of the action scenes. It was just Luke kicking ass without much effort or even so much as a non-natural facial expression. I know they tried to make the pain emotional to make up for it, but most of the time it didn't work all that great for me. Spending more time with Pop would have made his death a bit more resonant. As it was now he was mostly a walking chliche-machine who only became interesting after his death, when we find out more about him.

I liked Cottonmouth, and the actor playing him. Him and Shades were both really cool villains. As cool as Fisk? Probably not. As cool as Kilgrave? Hell no.

I did like it overall though, and I am very much looking forward to seeing Cage with the others in The Defenders. But I agree with what a lot of others here are saying; it's my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows.

Does that include the non Netflix ones?  AoS and Agent Carter?

I'd say it's above AoS. Maybe not by much, since I have really grown to like that show, and it has three more seasons of developing its characters. But Luke Cage is definetely way the hell above Agent Carter.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2016, 02:48:39 PM »
So, I'm sorry to ask a dumb question, but I just saw a commercial where Iron Man and Captain America are fighting. Is this like Batman vs Superman? That didn't make sense either.
Why are they fighting?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
So, I'm sorry to ask a dumb question, but I just saw a commercial where Iron Man and Captain America are fighting. Is this like Batman vs Superman? That didn't make sense either.
Why are they fighting?

Short explanation: team Iron Man wants the government to control the super heroes and use them whenever the government feels like it, team Captain America wants them to be able to do whatever the fuck they want without any accountability

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »
You'd think Captain America would be pro-government, no?

Who is on who's side?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
You'd think Captain America would be pro-government, no?

Who is on who's side?

Just watch Civil War.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
Are The Wonder Twins still a thing?

Online Adami

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Are The Wonder Twins still a thing?

There's actually two sets of wonder twins now since scarlet witch is there along with scarlet Johansson.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »
You lost me! :lol

If I recall, one would turn into an element, and the other an animal?

Online Adami

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
You lost me! :lol

If I recall, one would turn into an element, and the other an animal?

In my post, I used the term wonder twins to mean boobs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
Oh.. how wonder-full!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
Have you seen ANY of the Marvel movies?

To expound just a bit on what Zantera said, the basic background is:  Since superheroes started coming on the scene, alien invaders (Avengers; Thor 2), fights with Hydra and other villains (Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3, Civil War), fights between superheroes themselves (Age of Ultron), and between superheroes and things they created (Age of Ultron) keep causing mass destruction and deaths of innocents.  People are scared and want superheroes reined in.  A U.N.-like body of governments led by the U.S. comes together and adopts a series of accords limiting superheroes' rights to function without government oversight and requires all "enhanced individuals" to be registered with the government. 

Tony Stark (Iron Man), driving primarily by guilt over a lot of the problems he has caused, believes this is a good and necessary thing, and zealously backs the accords and the government.  Captain America believes this is anti-freedom, and that there is something sinister behind it that needs to be uncovered.  He also believes that, at times, threats are so great that there is a need to act immediately, and that wading through red tape will cause delays that will cost lives.  The conflict is actually set up very well so that you can really see both sides of the argument.  The "teams" are: 

Pro-accords:  Iron Man, War Machine, Black Widow, Black Panther, Vision, Spider Man

Anti-accords:  Captain America, Hawkeye, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Ant Man, Scarlet Witch, Sharon Carter (sort of)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
Have you seen ANY of the Marvel movies?

Hell no! :lol

....awesome synopsis...

Pro-accords:  Iron Man, War Machine, Black Widow, Black Panther, Vision, Spider Man

Anti-accords:  Captain America, Hawkeye, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Ant Man, Scarlet Witch, Sharon Carter (sort of)

Thanks Bosk, that was what I was looking for. I saw the scenes and was wondering what it was all about.

Who is Ant Man?? :lol

Is this a made for movie concept or was this in an old 70's comic book? Sounds like they are copying Batman vs Superman, no?

How does the movie end?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2016, 05:40:25 PM »
It was done as a huge comic crossover series in, I believe, the '90s.  I was no longer reading comics by then, but have read synopses of the storyline, and it is really good by all accounts.  So, no, it is definitely not copying Batman vs. Superman at all.  Any similarity is really BvS ripping off Marvel.  Not to mention the fact that Civil War was in the works before BvS. 

As far as how it ends, they are fighting each other, but not really out of animosity at all--it's just that Cap's group is trying to go after the real baddie who is playing them behind the scenes, and Iron Man's group is trying to stop them because they are operating outside the law, which his faction is now an integral part of the enforcement arm of.  They basically battle to a stalemate a couple of times, and then focus on the real baddie once he is uncovered, defeat him, and then part ways as Cap's group are now outlaws and must go into hiding.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »
Ok, thank you. I've never read a comic book before, and wasn't into it as a kid. I enjoyed the old Superman and Batman TV shows but that's it. I think I saw the original Superman, but I've never seen any other Super Hero movie. Oh, maybe the first Batman too.

So in the original comic series, does Captain America and his team continue to fight crime while they are in hiding?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »
I'm not sure they go into hiding in the comic series.  It was a much larger, more involved story in the comics that, again, spanned several books over several months.  I think the bones were basically the same, but the details of the story were very different.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2016, 05:51:57 PM »
OK Cool. Thank you.

You guys can have your thread back! :)

Online Adami

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2016, 06:10:25 PM »
I'm not sure they go into hiding in the comic series.  It was a much larger, more involved story in the comics that, again, spanned several books over several months.  I think the bones were basically the same, but the details of the story were very different.

They do. Very early on. Tons of them.

Also it was the 2000s and ultimately bares little resemblance to the plot of the movie. Which is good, cause if the movie tried to do what the comics did, it would have collapsed under its own weight.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »
Finally watched the first episode of Luke Cage.

Really liked it. Very different from the rest, which I dug. I actually appreciated the very slow build up, making it really about absorbing the environment and characters. Super excited about watching the rest.

Also nice little Justin Hammer name drop. Clever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »
Any similarity is really BvS ripping off Marvel.  Not to mention the fact that Civil War was in the works before BvS. 

Just a minor point here, but Batman v Superman is playing off a storyline from Miller's The Dark Knight Returns which was published in 1986.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2016, 01:44:38 AM »
'Who is Antman'? REALLY? Dude, you got a LOT of catching up to do!  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....