Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251292 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #910 on: December 16, 2017, 01:23:09 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was pretty good, but not great. It was entertaining, but i felt a little bored at times. They sure are getting good with that reverse aging CGI though.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #911 on: December 19, 2017, 08:31:22 PM »
Okay I'm close to giving up on Runaways.

It's getting REALLY dumb. Super typical CW melodramatic.

Also, since she's on screen, I feel like they wrote Molly to be the 9 or whatever year old that she is in the comics, but then cast a 14 year old to play her and it is really awful.

Also they need to change the name to "Kids who live at home with their parents and show no sign of ever running away"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #912 on: December 23, 2017, 02:18:46 AM »
Sticking with Runaways because it’s MCU, it’s interesting enough, and the characters are decent. Except Molly, the idiot.

Offline Adami

« Reply #913 on: December 26, 2017, 10:09:44 PM »
Episode 8 of the Runaways.

STILL HAVEN'T RUN AWAY
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #914 on: December 26, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
I feel like Ive barely touched the surface, and yet Marvel is already my favorite thing to happen to modern day entertainment.   Yesterday, I binged watched a bit more of Agents of SHIELD.   I'm up to Episode 17 of Season one, and I'm having such a blast.   Finding out Ward was with Hydra just blew my doors off.   I like seeing the Hydra story lines get a bit more fleshed out because it seems like the whole Hydra thing got abandoned in the movies.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #915 on: December 27, 2017, 08:25:42 AM »
Kinda wish I had stuck with Agents of Shield. I gave up halfway through season one when it wasn't very good, but I've heard it's much better now. I don't have the time to binge watch shows to catch up.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #916 on: December 27, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
I feel like Ive barely touched the surface, and yet Marvel is already my favorite thing to happen to modern day entertainment.   Yesterday, I binged watched a bit more of Agents of SHIELD.   I'm up to Episode 17 of Season one, and I'm having such a blast.   Finding out Ward was with Hydra just blew my doors off.   I like seeing the Hydra story lines get a bit more fleshed out because it seems like the whole Hydra thing got abandoned in the movies.   
Oh, wow.  You've got a LOT of fun stuff ahead of you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #917 on: December 28, 2017, 03:54:38 AM »
Severely disappointed with the handling of Chase’s character in the most recent Runaways episode. I could completely relate to his position as the argument began but the writers displayed uncharacteristic levels of stupidity with him when they had him smash the computer. Goddam it, that’s the sort of shit that turns me against certain shows.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #918 on: December 28, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
^ I mean, Chase had def been through some traumatic shit in that episode, so I can understand him being kinda out of control, but for the story to allow him to completely destroy the laptop? Yeah, you kinda wonder: well, where do they go from here? I guess they perhaps now have Molly's vhs tape as a backup, and maybe Frank Dean as a possible adult ally, but it will be interesting to see what happens now...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #919 on: December 29, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »

You still current? How do you like the current run of episodes?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #920 on: December 29, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »

You still current? How do you like the current run of episodes?
Actually, I had forgotten that it started again.  Shoot, I hope I remembered to DVR it...

I have a question about the Netflix shows for all y'all.  The only one I have watched is Daredevil.  Overall, I liked a lot about it, but I did find it kind of tedious to get through.  And the VERY dark, violent nature of it, as well as some of the other adult content, meant that it wasn't something we could just pop on the tv anytime with the kids.  It was strictly a "the kids have finally gone to bed and we have enough time to get through an episode before I pass out" viewing experience, which made it logistically challenging to watch.  My ongoing challenge is that my wife kinda lost interest, and we are now pretty far behind the curve in terms of all the other Netflix Marvel shows that have popped up.  But she thought Defenders looked kinda cool and wants to check it out.  So my question is, which other shows are (1) necessary for background prior to watching Defenders, and (2) which other ones are pretty good in general and match what you guys know of my tastes?  Feel free to fill in as much description as you like, without big spoilers.  Keep in mind that the characters in these Netflix series are characters I did not follow in the comics and am generally unfamiliar with (I most mostly a mutants and Spiderman guy, who ventured out into other characters or groups sporadically).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #921 on: December 30, 2017, 02:47:56 AM »
I'd say for the sake of understanding the lore of The Defenders, maybe Iron Fist is the most important. But it's not at all the best.

In terms of what's good. My favorite thing Marvel has done with Netflix is still Jessica Jones season 1. It also has what I consider to be the best villain of the entire MCU.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #922 on: December 30, 2017, 04:34:52 AM »
^ He's right.  Daredevil Season 2 is pretty important in the lead up to the Defenders as well.

Luke Cage up to episode 9 or 10 was really great as well, but not necessary viewing in the grand scheme of The Defenders.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #923 on: December 31, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »
Haven't watched Iron Fist or The Defenders yet, so I can't comment on what's important as far as setting the table storyline-wise. I'll say that Daredevil season 1 is still my favorite, followed closely behind by Jessica Jones season 1. Daredevil season 2 and Luke Cage are both a tier below, but still certainly enjoyable. They're both too long by at least a couple episodes, and I found that Daredevil s2 had more filler than Luke Cage, but it also had better filler. All of it is "the kids have gone to bed" in terms of content though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #924 on: January 03, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »
For Daredevil, I definitely prefer season 1.  Season 2 isn't bad.  And Electra is one of my favorite Marvel characters.  But season 1 was so well done.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: January 03, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
This is DTF, so for the Netflix Marvel series.

1a. Jessica Jones
1b. Daredevil S1
2.   Punisher
3.   Daredevil S2
4.   The Defenders
5.   Luke Cage
6.   Ironfist
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Adami

« Reply #926 on: January 03, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »

1a. Jessica Jones
1b. Daredevil S1
2.   Punisher
3.   Daredevil S2
4.   The Defenders
5.   Luke Cage
6.   Ironfist

Mine is REALLY similar.

1. Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones, Punisher
2. Daredevil S2
3. Defenders
4. Luke Cage
5. Iron Fist

Honestly if Luke Cage had just ended after like 10 episodes, it would be above Defenders.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #927 on: January 03, 2018, 08:04:09 PM »

1a. Jessica Jones
1b. Daredevil S1
2.   Punisher
3.   Daredevil S2
4.   The Defenders
5.   Luke Cage
6.   Ironfist

Mine is REALLY similar.

1. Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones, Punisher
2. Daredevil S2
3. Defenders
4. Luke Cage
5. Iron Fist

Honestly if Luke Cage had just ended after like 10 episodes, it would be above Defenders.

:iagree:  This list is spot on.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #928 on: January 03, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
I know I rant against Runaways a lot, but it just annoys me.

The newest episode actually was halfway decent. Finally got a couple together and ended on a good note.

BUT

THEY'RE CALLING THEMSELVES THE RUNAWAYS IN HONOR OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE RUN AWAY?!?!!!?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #929 on: January 03, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »
I will probably get back to Luke Cage.  I only saw the first 2 or 3 episodes, but it played so much like a blaxploitation flick that I had trouble taking it seriously.  But then I kindof got the impression that that was the point, so maybe I'll give it another chance. 

I started watching DD, and I was loving the story.  But I'm really not a big violence guy, and when that baddie impaled his own head on a spike in episode 3, I couldn't turn it off fast enough.  I just plain don't like it, but also my wife has PTSD, and she actually had to be calmed down for a few after that happened.  We really weren't expecting something quite that extreme.  But I had heard the warnings, so I should have known.   I still might go back to it.  I just hope that a scene like that is relatively rare. 

Needless to say I probably won't watch Punisher.   It just looks a bit over the top from the trailers. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #930 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:20 PM »
It gets more violent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #931 on: January 03, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
Oh well then.  Guess I'm just in the minority.  EDIT - But I actually really appreciate the heads up, so thank you.

Offline Adami

« Reply #932 on: January 03, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »
Oh well then.  Guess I'm just in the minority.  EDIT - But I actually really appreciate the heads up, so thank you.

Yea, these shows are definitely not fun light entertainment. If violence, suffering, and over all darkness isn't something you're into, then DD and Punisher are out.

JJ too possibly.

Iron First is fine cause it's just so bad that the violence is laughable.

And Defenders is about as PG as it gets (minus a few scenes).

Luke Cage isn't too bad on the violence. So that should be fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #933 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:06 PM »
Actually, I *LOVED* Jessica Jones.  It was a dark mood, and some sexy stuff (not a bad thing when you're with the wife) but I don't recall anything quite as bad as the DD scene I referenced.   Well.....maybe one in the whole series.   (That scene in the park).  But mostly I didn't find it to be quite as bad.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #934 on: January 03, 2018, 11:12:42 PM »
JJ is more disturbing to me than DD but in other ways, which is why I love it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: January 04, 2018, 06:25:20 AM »
Actually, I *LOVED* Jessica Jones.  It was a dark mood, and some sexy stuff (not a bad thing when you're with the wife) but I don't recall anything quite as bad as the DD scene I referenced.   Well.....maybe one in the whole series.   (That scene in the park).  But mostly I didn't find it to be quite as bad.

See, I don't get this. Fisticuffs, brutal gun play, knifings, and murder by car door, are all reasons to turn your head or punch the power button. But a guy uses the power of his mind to force kids into the closet for a week at a time, or have a dude jump off a building, or shoot his girl friend, or to knife his husband, or have his own father put his hand in a blender, or the myriad of other mind-bogglingly horrific shit Killgrave did in Jessica Jones and ...  :tup

For my money, Punisher is way less disturbing and damn near as good.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jammindude

« Reply #936 on: January 04, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
I guess it has to to with hinted at, and psychological mind **** (which I don’t mind) vs. graphic portrayal of actual violence and gore. And I’m not saying JJ had none. I said plainly that the hedge trimmer scene in the park bothered me just as much. But I don’t recall it being a common thing throughout the series. I was thinking of going back to DD in hopes there wouldn’t be *a lot* more of that, but then it was said that the show gets even worse. That makes me rethink it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #937 on: January 08, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »
3 episodes left in season 2, and it ended with the reference to the events about to take place in Age of Ultron. I’m thinking about rewatching that before proceeding. I know it’s not necessary, but I’m having fun with this. I almost wish I would have watched Winter Soldier at the point it fell into the timeline...probably would have had more weight seeing the fall of SHIELD and the “death” of Fury in sequence.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #938 on: January 08, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
And AOS gets better with each season, so you still have a ton of great episodes to watch ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #939 on: January 08, 2018, 08:48:33 PM »
Btw, did anyone here watch The Gifted? I started the other day and it’s not bad, I think I’ll watch the whole season.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

« Reply #940 on: January 08, 2018, 08:59:32 PM »
Btw, did anyone here watch The Gifted? I started the other day and it’s not bad, I think I’ll watch the whole season.

Yup! I'd call it consistently good. Never really amazing though, or terrible.

I hope they try to do a bit more next season. It's got a ton of potential, but they're playing it way too small.

However, introducing the Cuckoo siblings was amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #941 on: January 08, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
Makes sense they played it safe for the first season, hope it gets renewed (if it isn’t already).

Offline Adami

« Reply #942 on: January 08, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »
Makes sense they played it safe for the first season, hope it gets renewed (if it isn’t already).

Pretty sure it has been renewed. I'm excited for the next season. I also hope the movies don't cripple them too much in who they are or aren't allowed to use.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #943 on: January 09, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »
Stopped watching the Gifted maybe 5 episodes in. Juat never grabbed me. But then again I was never a big X-Men fan.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #944 on: January 09, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »
3 episodes left in season 2, and it ended with the reference to the events about to take place in Age of Ultron. I’m thinking about rewatching that before proceeding. I know it’s not necessary, but I’m having fun with this. I almost wish I would have watched Winter Soldier at the point it fell into the timeline...probably would have had more weight seeing the fall of SHIELD and the “death” of Fury in sequence.

Yeah, we were watching ALMOST in real time at that point, so it was cool how it all tied in together.  The end of season 2 is really good.  The show has definitely found itself at that point in time and is running at full stride.  In season 3, you'll see how it really starts to go its own way and do its own completely separate story while still solidly feeling like a part of the MCU.  Seasons 3 and 4 are pretty creepy, but very cool as well.  I will warn you that I think season 4 requires some patience.  In the beginning, it really feels like it is meandering all over the place, perhaps with no goal other than trying to build a storyline around a well-known Marvel character and shoehorn that into AoS.  But in the end, it works well.  You just have to bear with it while it gets there. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:25:47 AM by bosk1 »