Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251109 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #875 on: November 29, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
^ Excellent Graphic.  "Coincidentally"...

T - Tesseract (Space)
H -  (Soul)
A - Aether (Reality)
N - Necklace / Eye of Agamotto (Time)
O - Orb (Power)
S - Sceptre (Mind)

I've seen that thrown around.  And, I dunno, it could be true.  But it just seems silly to me that it is anything but a fan theory where someone stretched and found descriptive words that fit without that ever having been the intent of anyone at Marvel. 

...but "H" does fit my theory, so...  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #876 on: November 29, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
5/6 seems a little far from coincidence or a stretch.  Though, technically now the Mind stone should be "V", and he ain't named Thanov.  Marvel/Fiege doesn't do anything by coincidence... why put the stones in such specifically named things as Tesseract, Aether, Orb... along with a Necklace and a Sceptre/Staff?  When the stones could go any number of a million different things or places, this seems far more than a coincidence.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #877 on: November 29, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
What is this, a MCU trailer with no jokes??? DEAL BREAKER

The trailer I saw at D23 very much matches this one, but this has different footage and is cut to be a trailer than an expo showcase. Also, the one I watched at D23 kinda spoiled the ending for Ragnarok

Im still not impressed with Thanos, but I have to say, he looked better in his past appearances in these films than for Infinity Wars. With the complaints that Steppenwolf looked bad in JL, Thanos isnt too far behind. Disney is known to do a lot of post-production work so hopefully by May, they can add some density to him.

Im always looking forward to see what the Russo Bros have in store. Im glad Marvel gave this to them and not Joss Whedon.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #878 on: November 30, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
Good trailer, I really look forward to this film. Still, I am little bit worried about the amount of characters they will have to juggle around with and the fact that it will be a standalone film. The scope is huge. The Russo's did a very impressive job with Civil War, which managed to juggle many different types of characters (personality wise but also power wise) and give them all a clear arc and character motivation and make them work together on a screen. But this film will have all those characters and much more. From what I gather, I think we will see three main crews for most of the film, Cap/BP/Hulk & co, Stark/Spidey/Strange, and Thor/Guardians. Probably with Cap, Stark, and Thor as the "lead" heroes, just like Cap and Stark were in Civil War for their respective teams. And I assume that Thanos will get a decent amount of screen time, they really can't waste him like Ultron or many other MCU villains.

I hope for this milestone in cinema (yes, I think it absolutely is in terms of scope), they go full on Lord of the Rings and make it a long ass film with potentially an extended edition. I don't think Disney/Marvel will, but I feel like this film could easily warrant a long running time and accompanied costs.

What is this, a MCU trailer with no jokes??? DEAL BREAKER

I know you joke, but the first third or so of Civil War was pretty serious. I expect that when Thanos is going to wreck shit in an early act, the film will be dead serious for a while. And looking at the job these directors did with the Winter Soldier and Civil War, probably the most serious MCU flicks, I think it will work.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #879 on: November 30, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
Good trailer, I really look forward to this film. Still, I am little bit worried about the amount of characters they will have to juggle around with and the fact that it will be a standalone film. The scope is huge. The Russo's did a very impressive job with Civil War, which managed to juggle many different types of characters (personality wise but also power wise) and give them all a clear arc and character motivation and make them work together on a screen. But this film will have all those characters and much more. From what I gather, I think we will see three main crews for most of the film, Cap/BP/Hulk & co, Stark/Spidey/Strange, and Thor/Guardians. Probably with Cap, Stark, and Thor as the "lead" heroes, just like Cap and Stark were in Civil War for their respective teams. And I assume that Thanos will get a decent amount of screen time, they really can't waste him like Ultron or many other MCU villains.

I'm not as concerned.  Yes, it is a huge undertaking.  But they've also had 10 years to set up a lot of these characters.  For all the major heroes, they've each been in at least two films prior to this, and some many more than that.  We know quite a bit about them and their motivations.  On the villain side, while it is true that we don't know much about the Black Order yet, even Thanos has gotten some back story and exposition in a few end credits scenes and both GOTG films.  So even he isn't a brand new blank slate.  And don't forget that we have Avengers 4 and possibly the two films in between to fill in some gaps as well.  So, yeah, there's a lot going on with this many characters.  But in terms of content, we already have a ton that fleshes them out, so it's not like it all needs to be done in Avengers 3 and 4 alone. 

My oldest son really liked the trailer and watched it a bunch of times, and kept pausing in different spots to assess certain shots.  He also asked me to find the D23 footage, so we pulled that up and watched it.  There is a version out now that is much cleaner than the one I first saw a few months ago.  I didn't realize how much of it is recycled footage from prior films.  Still pretty good though.  The Guardians/Thor clips really bridge the gap between Ragnarok and what we see in the Infinity War trailer.  My son commented that this trailer is even better than the one for Ragnarok, which was also really good.  Come to think of it, Marvel has really had some VERY good trailers for a lot of their films.  I don't recall many of them.  But off the top of my head, the ones for Civil War, Ant Man, Age of Ultron, Ragnarok, and now this one have all been really good.  Probably others as well that I am not thinking of.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:32:25 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #880 on: November 30, 2017, 09:02:37 PM »

I'm not as concerned.  Yes, it is a huge undertaking.  But they've also had 10 years to set up a lot of these characters.  For all the major heroes, they've each been in at least two films prior to this, and some many more than that.  We know quite a bit about them and their motivations.  On the villain side, while it is true that we don't know much about the Black Order yet, even Thanos has gotten some back story and exposition in a few end credits scenes and both GOTG films.  So even he isn't a brand new blank slate.  And don't forget that we have Avengers 4 and possibly the two films in between to fill in some gaps as well.  So, yeah, there's a lot going on with this many characters.  But in terms of content, we already have a ton that fleshes them out, so it's not like it all needs to be done in Avengers 3 and 4 alone. 

My oldest son really liked the trailer and watched it a bunch of times, and kept pausing in different spots to assess certain shots.  He also asked me to find the D23 footage, so we pulled that up and watched it.  There is a version out now that is much cleaner than the one I first saw a few months ago.  I didn't realize how much of it is recycled footage from prior films.  Still pretty good though.  The Guardians/Thor clips really bridge the gap between Ragnarok and what we see in the Infinity War trailer.  My son commented that this trailer is even better than the one for Ragnarok, which was also really good.  Come to think of it, Marvel has really had some VERY good trailers for a lot of their films.  I don't recall many of them.  But off the top of my head, the ones for Civil War, Ant Man, Age of Ultron, Ragnarok, and now this one have all been really good.  Probably others as well that I am not thinking of.

Agree with all of this, Bosk :tup

I remember being specially amazed at the AOU trailer, a few years ago. And when I watched this trailer for the first time, it was even better!

About the theories of where the last stone is, I think it's on Wakanda, otherwise, there's no reason for Thanos' army to go there. Also, Wakanda is supposedly very well hidden from the rest of the world, so, unless they change that in the BP movie, I think it's pretty safe to say that the soul stone is hidden somewhere in Wakanda.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #881 on: November 30, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
Another possibility, thought there's nothing supporting this, is having Dr. Strange hide out in Wakanda and Thanos is there for the time stone. When we see the Bruce at first, he's with Strange. Then at the big Wakanda fight, he's there.

So it's....possible?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #882 on: November 30, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
Another possibility, thought there's nothing supporting this, is having Dr. Strange hide out in Wakanda and Thanos is there for the time stone. When we see the Bruce at first, he's with Strange. Then at the big Wakanda fight, he's there.

So it's....possible?

But didn't we see him with Tony Stark on New York when that ship arrives?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #883 on: November 30, 2017, 09:18:46 PM »

So it's....possible?

Yea, so Bruce is in both places at some point. And Rodie's with him also in Wakanda. Pretty sure that shot of the Hulk Buster was also around Wakanda. Seems possible that the whole team is there at some point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #884 on: November 30, 2017, 09:22:35 PM »

So it's....possible?

Yea, so Bruce is in both places at some point. And Rodie's with him also in Wakanda. Pretty sure that shot of the Hulk Buster was also around Wakanda. Seems possible that the whole team is there at some point.

Touché.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #885 on: November 30, 2017, 11:01:05 PM »
Another theory..... totally from my own imagination....

We KNOW that there will be another (as yet untitled) Avengers film.   This was originally supposed to be "Infinity War Part 2", but then was mysteriously changed to the "untitled" thing.

I personally think this might be a fake out.   I think Infinity War still may be a 2-part story, and they just don't want to spoil the cliffhanger that's coming.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #886 on: November 30, 2017, 11:10:24 PM »
Yea, I don't think it's at all likely that Avengers 4 is just completely its own thing. It's coming out a year later. It was planned to shoot at the same time. It's the only time there's been 2 Avengers film in the same phase. So whether it's called Infinity Gauntlet, or whatever, it's obviously connected. I don't think Infinity War will be just a big lead in though. They've said quite a number of times that it's not that.

Also as far as Thanos, they've said he is almost a lead character in this film and gets a good amount of screen time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #887 on: December 01, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »

So it's....possible?

Yeah, as I mentioned, the fact that there is a huge battle in what appears to be Wakanda was making me reluctantly think it is there as well.  But that isn't necessarily true.  It could very well be that they end up in Wakanda for some other reason, like what you mentioned.  Maybe Strange goes there because of its hidden nature to try to hide the time stone from Thanos.  Maybe they go there to get vibranium thinking they can use it to make another infinity gauntlet or some other weapon to fight Thanos.  Who knows?  There could be any number of reasons we just haven't thought of.

Another theory..... totally from my own imagination....

We KNOW that there will be another (as yet untitled) Avengers film.   This was originally supposed to be "Infinity War Part 2", but then was mysteriously changed to the "untitled" thing.

I personally think this might be a fake out.   I think Infinity War still may be a 2-part story, and they just don't want to spoil the cliffhanger that's coming.

No, the movie wasn't changed.  Only the title was changed.  There is a story in Variety from last year saying that the title change somehow means the second movie is something other than the infinity war story.  But there is no evidence from that, other than them citing to the announcement that the title of Avengers 4 would not be "Infinity War 2."  Well, duh.  That would be kind of a stupid name, and I think most of us recognized that it was more or less of just a working title anyway.  But every indication from Marvel is that it is a continuation of the infinity war story and will be the conclusion of that entire arc.  I don't think they've ever tried to lead us to think otherwise, so I don't think there is any "fake out" involved.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #888 on: December 01, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
The way I think it'll happen:

- Infinity War: Thanos collecting the gems and beating the crap out of the Avengers. The movie ends with him doing something SO HUGE with the full gauntlet that it ends on a cliffhanger, probably a couple small deaths from the team or a big, surprising one.

- Next Avengers movie: Them coming together after what happened on the previous movie and beating Thanos, even if that costs them even more heroes.

And, from there, you kickstart the next MCU phase.

Online Adami

« Reply #889 on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
I'm curious how they'll handle the break between the movies. I mean, Marvel will have like 2-3 other movies come out in that mean time. Obviously Captain Marvel won't impact the break since it's set in the 90's, but I think Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place between them. I doubt they'll just leave the battle, do some small adventure and them come back. So there will likely be some kind of gap in the real time of Marvel between the movies where a real year or so has to pass in story time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #890 on: December 01, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
The way I think it'll happen:

- Infinity War: Thanos collecting the gems and beating the crap out of the Avengers. The movie ends with him doing something SO HUGE with the full gauntlet that it ends on a cliffhanger, probably a couple small deaths from the team or a big, surprising one.

- Next Avengers movie: Them coming together after what happened on the previous movie and beating Thanos, even if that costs them even more heroes.

And, from there, you kickstart the next MCU phase.

That seems very logical. Marvel has already said Phase 4 is going to be drastically different. I believe the only 2 announced Phase 4 films is Spider-Man 2 and Gaurdians 3.

I'm curious how they'll handle the break between the movies. I mean, Marvel will have like 2-3 other movies come out in that mean time. Obviously Captain Marvel won't impact the break since it's set in the 90's, but I think Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place between them. I doubt they'll just leave the battle, do some small adventure and them come back. So there will likely be some kind of gap in the real time of Marvel between the movies where a real year or so has to pass in story time.

I thought I read that Ant-Man and the Wasp is taking place after Civil War.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #891 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:13 AM »

Just speculation, but I don't think maybe Infinity War ends on a traditional "cliffhanger."  I think maybe Thanos wins, but doesn't destroy the earth and leaves to go and basically fry bigger fish.  But they know they have to stop him, so some other stuff happens while they regroup, and maybe that's how the other films play in.  Captain Marvel is supposed to be set in the '90s.  Maybe she arrives on the scene at the end of Infinity War, but just as a quick appearance and doesn't have a chance to do anything yet.  Then we get the Captain Marvel film to give us her backstory before more fully introducing her in action in the next film.  Meanwhile, Ant Man and Wasp have to deal with some other threat and explore the quantum realm, which, along with the appearance of Captain Marvel, ends up playing a part in how they ultimately defeat Thanos in the final film.  Or something like that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #892 on: December 01, 2017, 10:08:16 AM »
I was going to post a completely different theory I thought of, but I think Bosk's post makes more sense than what I was going to say :lol :biggrin:

Online Adami

« Reply #893 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
Yea, that makes sense. I also just read that Ant-Man ant the Wasp will be post Civil War. Weird time to release it, but it's now looking like both movies released between Avengers will take place prior to Infinity War.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: December 01, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
Death predictions.... Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, Vision.  I'd also put Sam and Rhodey on the watch list.  The only ones who are (should be?) safe (imo) are Dr. Strange, Bucky, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther and Hulk. 

Thor... other's can carry the title "Thor"
Cap ... ditto, and I think he stays dead
Iron Man... Marvel can't afford RDJ anymore, and he's said he doesn't want to be Tony Stark for the rest of his life.
Spidey ... for a twist, in that he'll 'come back' via something to do with the Time or Reality gem
Vision ... ditto.  Or maybe he just stays dead.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #895 on: December 01, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
Nope.  Info on who dies was leaked.  And you'll find it follows a familiar pattern.

Thor
Hulk
Ant Man
Nebula
Okoye
Scarlet Witch

Nothing is unintentional.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: December 01, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
 :rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #897 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »
Do you even know how long it took me to come up with a character that starts with "O"??

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #898 on: December 01, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
My two cents: I don't think Spidey will get the axe even as a twist - my money is he cuts it close but is saved at the last minute by someone, likely Tony. That's just my prediction, could be 100% wrong here. I just don't want my favorite superhero to die at all :)

I do strongly believe Thor, Cap, and Stark will bite the dust which is going to be really hard to watch. Still wince when I see Thanos laying Iron Man out cold in the trailer. And uh, apparently I need to see Ragnarok, what with Thor having an eyepatch...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: December 01, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
Nope.  Info on who dies was leaked.  And you'll find it follows a familiar pattern.

Thor
Hulk
Ant Man
Nebula
Okoye
Scarlet Witch

Nothing is unintentional.

That post is worthy of both ...

and ...

I was wondering who the fuck Okoye was.  :D  Happy as the "H" option would've been more believable.   ;)

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #900 on: December 01, 2017, 07:45:07 PM »
Finally watched Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was very entertaining and had a lot of funny moments (the Interrogation Mode part was hilarious)! Great movie.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #901 on: December 02, 2017, 02:22:04 AM »
Three episodes in, and The Punisher is quickly becoming a top show for me. Damn they did this one good.

I just finished the first episode because of you guys talking about it. I'm hooked.   :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #902 on: December 02, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »
Finished Punisher today. I really liked the first few episodes, then there were a few where it sort of slowed down but I still liked it. But the last few episodes were fantastic.

Also, Agents of Shield returned last night. It was a bit out there, maybe a little too much, but still pretty interesting, and fun as always.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #903 on: December 03, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »
T- These
H- Horrible
A- Assumptions
N- Now
O- Officially
S- Stupid

#Nothingisunintentional#genius#money#FFFFFFFFFFFF-

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #904 on: December 05, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »
Well, if Marvel does end up buying Fox, I guess we know what lies beyond phase 4 of the MCU in the further future (X-men, deadpool, and Fantastic Four). Makes me excited on one hand, but dissapointed on the other if it ends up happening. I don't see Disney putting out stuff like Logan or Deadpool earlier this year. And I liked having a seperate Marvel film series by a different company that for each fuckup also managed to make a good/great flick.

Also, in terms of Marvel tv,/netflix, Agents of Shield season 4 is by far the best for me personally. Too bad that show started out on the shoddy first season. Punisher was a nice surprise recently, after the in my opinion mediocre/bad Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Defenders. I just think the slow/sidetracked middle part of the Punisher keeps it from being one of the top series.

Yeah, those are fair points. I really want Marvel to nail this one. Their trailer game has been ace indeed.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #905 on: December 05, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »
Feels like a lot of ppl are sleeping on Runaways. It's really fucking good! Episode 5 tonight on Hulu. Promise I'm not one of the cast members secretly plugging the show at every opportunity. I'm no Derek Sherinian, lol...

Online Adami

« Reply #906 on: December 05, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »
Feels like a lot of ppl are sleeping on Runaways. It's really fucking good! Episode 5 tonight on Hulu. Promise I'm not one of the cast members secretly plugging the show at every opportunity. I'm no Derek Sherinian, lol...

I really like it. I haven't seen Episode 5 yet, but I was let down by episode 4 to be honest. It felt like padding/filler.

Also.......when are they going to run away? Maybe they do in episode 5.

Watching Episode 5 right now, I'll write my thoughts in small font since they contain potential spoilers from the comics

So I'm a bit annoyed with some things. They seem to be hinting at Chase being the person to betray everyone, instead of Alex. I would hate that since I'm pretty invested in Chase and Gert being together. Also they changed how Nico uses the Staff of One. In the comics she says weird phrases that hint at what she wants, I have no idea why they would change that to her just thinking stuff. Also Karolina BETTER be a lesbian alien, even if she doesn't end up with a Skrull.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:02:26 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #907 on: December 11, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »
So as the Disney/Fox deal gets closer, I learned something interesting.

Fox doesn't own Fantastic Four. Some weird European (I think German) company does. I wonder if Marvel will still find a way to get those rights back, especially since those are the only rights I care about them getting back right now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #908 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
So as the Disney/Fox deal gets closer, I learned something interesting.

Fox doesn't own Fantastic Four. Some weird European (I think German) company does. I wonder if Marvel will still find a way to get those rights back, especially since those are the only rights I care about them getting back right now.

I think the deal with FF is that they have to keep making movies with them every once in a while to keep the rights. Now, with Fox being acquired by Disney, maybe no one will be making these movies the rights will, eventually, return to Marvel? :huh:

Online Adami

« Reply #909 on: December 12, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
Eh so I think I'm losing interest in The Runaways.

No magic, only science?
No aliens?
No mutants?
No time travel?
NO RUNNING AWAY?!?!?!

I mean, the comics were amazing. I understand some of the changes, but most of these just seem pointless and are watering it down way too much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com