Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250775 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #770 on: October 23, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »
They put Avengers Assemble as the first Avengers movie for some reason.
Maybe because it is?

It's just the UK name for The Avengers.

Oh really? Was not aware of that. I thought there was a cartoon or something called Avengers Assemble and maybe they just mixed it up.

I have no idea what most movies are called in other countries.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #771 on: October 23, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »
They put Avengers Assemble as the first Avengers movie for some reason.
Maybe because it is?

It's just the UK name for The Avengers.

Oh really? Was not aware of that. I thought there was a cartoon or something called Avengers Assemble and maybe they just mixed it up.

I have no idea what most movies are called in other countries.
I think that's been the only MCU one, and I would guess it's because of an old British radio/TV show of the same name.

Disney also changed Zootopia to Zootropolis for some reason, which was just dumb. But then in the other direction Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone got changed in the US to Sorcerer's Stone, so I guess it goes both ways.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #772 on: October 23, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »
I always assume that, just like grammar, the U.S. version is the correct one and the British version is all kinds of screwed up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #773 on: October 23, 2017, 03:00:18 PM »
Well, The Avengers won't be the only MCU film title changed for long. I've heard that in England, Antman and The Wasp is called Ant-man and his Handmaiden.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #774 on: October 23, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
Can they please just announce that Avengers 4 is going to be titled “Avengers: Infinity....and Beyond!”?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #775 on: October 23, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »
Can they please just announce that Avengers 4 is going to be titled “Avengers: Infinity....and Beyond!”?

Didn't Zoe Saldana accidentaly reveal that it'll be called Infinity Gauntlet?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

« Reply #776 on: October 23, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »

Yea, but does HER version have a surprise Buzz Lightyear cameo?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #777 on: October 23, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »

Yea, but does HER version have a surprise Buzz Lightyear cameo?

:rollin I didn't get the joke the first time I read it and posted a serious answer.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #778 on: October 27, 2017, 02:53:01 AM »
Seeing Thor: Ragnarok tonight!  :laugh: :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #779 on: October 27, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
Not sure when I will get to it, but I am looking forward to it. 

I just found this article explaining why the final version of the scene where Hela appears and catches Mjolnir is different than the one in first trailer.  I like the explanation.  Technically, it is spoilerish.  But I find the spoiler to be VERY minor, and the headline was too attractive to ignore, so I read it.  Again, I like the explanation quite a bit.  https://www.yahoo.com/movies/thor-ragnarok-director-explains-reshot-destruction-mjolnir-exclusive-095928905.html
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #780 on: October 27, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
I liked his initial explanation that fields are so much cooler than alleyways.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #781 on: October 27, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »
I liked his initial explanation that fields are so much cooler than alleyways.

Can't say I disagree... but when you look at the side-by-side comparison of Blanchett, she looks so much more ominous in the original shot:

She (and Mjolnir) looks a little too 'polished' in the re-shoot.  Plus, one minor nit... in the original, the leather strap is pointing down (gravity!), whereas is stays taught/horizontal in the re-shoot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #782 on: October 28, 2017, 05:52:11 AM »
Saw Ragnarok last night, and man..it was so fucking hilarious and action-packed,while still having big stakes and emotion throughout.
Is it the best Marvel-movie? Nahh.. But it's definitely in the same league as the best Marvel solo-films, and it's the best MCU-film since Civil War.
Taika Waititi found the perfect way to breathe new light into the Thor-francise, it's just so refreshing!
Everyone was great in it. Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Goldblum, Hiddleston, Thomson, Elba... but my favorite character in the movie was actually Korg, played by Waititi himself. He was fucking hilarious  :lol
Cate Blanchett was a truly worthy foe as well. The Marvel films this year has defenitely improved their villains.

All in all - I absolutely loved it!!

A tiny spoiler: There is a very funny cameo by Matt Damon early on, when Thor returns to Asgard. It was so surreal, but so awesome 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #783 on: October 28, 2017, 09:43:21 AM »
Saw Ragnarok last night, and man..it was so fucking hilarious and action-packed,while still having big stakes and emotion throughout.
Is it the best Marvel-movie? Nahh.. But it's definitely in the same league as the best Marvel solo-films, and it's the best MCU-film since Civil War.
Taika Waititi found the perfect way to breathe new light into the Thor-francise, it's just so refreshing!
Everyone was great in it. Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Goldblum, Hiddleston, Thomson, Elba... but my favorite character in the movie was actually Korg, played by Waititi himself. He was fucking hilarious  :lol
Cate Blanchett was a truly worthy foe as well. The Marvel films this year has defenitely improved their villains.

All in all - I absolutely loved it!!

A tiny spoiler: There is a very funny cameo by Matt Damon early on, when Thor returns to Asgard. It was so surreal, but so awesome 

Great to hear! I'll be seeing it next friday with my girlfriend, and really can't wait to see it alread. It's gonna be a loooong week for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: October 28, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
Got my IMAX tickets for 4:30 on Friday with jingle.kids.  Still have to power through a few more of the Ragnarok and Roll comics, and I feel like I want to re-read the Avengers Disassembled Ragnarok issues too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #785 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »

There's a local Chicago classic rock/Journey cover band called Infinity.  A few years ago, a number of ex-members of Infinity that have come and gone from the band created a similar styled classic rock tribute band called "And Beyond." I loved that name right from the start.   :lol

I'm looking forward to Thor Ragnarok.  I'll have to wait to see it when it comes to digital home rentals though.  No time to get to a theater at all lately.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:08:02 AM by Grappler »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #786 on: October 29, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Ragnarok has opened with $107.6M internationally so far. It should hit those numbers when it gets the US release.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #787 on: October 30, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
Regarding "where is the last infinity stone?," I don't consider this to be a spoiler since this only reveals what we DON'T know as of Ragnarok.  But I include this little preamble for those who don't wanna know so you can stop reading.

Okay, so we know it isn't in Ragnarok.  (I haven't seen it, but I take others' word for it)  I just read this on Screenrant:

Thor: Ragnarok is the 17th feature film by Marvel Studios, leaving five other movies still to come before the party wraps up. There are therefore a options for where the Soul Stone may be:
1.•Black Panther – February 16, 2018
2.•Avengers: Infinity War – May 4, 2018
3.•Ant-Man and the Wasp – July 6, 2018
4.•Captain Marvel – March 8, 2019
5.•Untitled Avengers 4 (Its title is a minor spoiler) – May 3, 2019

However, given the nature of Avengers: Infinity War, it’s a certainty that the Infinity Gauntlet will be used in this film next year by Thanos. That means the Soul Stone must be introduced in the next few months. It would be weird and almost cheap from a storytelling standpoint for it to just briefly get introduced in Avengers 3, so it’s a safe assumption Black Panther is where the last piece of the puzzle remains.

So, throw those Thor: Ragnarok theories about Hela (Cate Blanchett) having the Soul Stone, or it being in Odin’s Eye, or Heimdall having it as his own source of power, in the trash. The Soul Stone is in Wakanda, the secretive, isolated fictional nation in Africa where Black Panther reigns, and it makes a lot of sense when you break it down.

I STRONGLY disagree with the bolded.  Yeah, it could be tied to Black Panther.  But there is no reason that has been revealed thus far that it must be.  And, honestly, I don't think it is.  I think it would be silly for it to be there.  Contrary to what the article says, I think it will ultimately be first revealed in Avengers 3.  It makes sense to me that it will be someplace outside of earth that has not been revealed yet.  And I think Captain Marvel is the perfect vehicle for that.  I'm thinking Avengers 3 is mostly about that stone.  And then after that film, we get the Captain Marvel film, which is set in the '90s, and get some back story on it.  And then we get the conclusion in Avengers 4.  That makes the most sense to me.  I guess we'll see.  But that is just a common sense way to do it, based on what we know is in store for the next few films.

I think this next bit is more insightful:

On the other hand, why are so many of these Infinity Stones finding their way to Earth? What’s so special about our planet in a very populated galaxy?

That is, in a nutshell, why it would be dumb for it to be on earth.  With so many infinity stones on earth, how could it be that nobody in the MCU outside of earth wouldn't have made a major play to wipe out earth and obtain them much earlier in the planet's history (i.e., prior to the existence of the Avengers) when we would have been FAR less prepared to deal with such a threat?  It just doesn't make any sense.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #788 on: October 31, 2017, 02:56:17 AM »
Just for fun: My ranking of the MCU-films

GREAT:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Avengers
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Iron Man
6. Thor: Ragnarok

GOOD:
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
9. Dr. Strange
10. Avengers: Age of Ultron

DECENT:
11. Captain America: The First Avenger
12. Thor
13. Ant Man
14. Iron Man 3

MEH:
15. The Incredible Hulk
16. Iron Man 2
17. Thor: The Dark World

Offline Adami

« Reply #789 on: November 02, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »
So....

Apparently there are pics of them filming Avengers 4 that looks like it will be a recreation or flashback or something to the first Avengers film. This got me thinking.

In the comics that inspired these next two movies, Thanos uses the gauntlet to literally re-write reality and murder half of the universe. Then after they beat Thanos, they take back the glove and use it to put reality back to where it was. Given that the glove can re-write reality from the past onward, do you think that is how they are going to approach Phase 4, with the freedom to re-write whatever they feel like in Avengers 4?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #790 on: November 03, 2017, 06:19:38 AM »
So....

Apparently there are pics of them filming Avengers 4 that looks like it will be a recreation or flashback or something to the first Avengers film. This got me thinking.

In the comics that inspired these next two movies, Thanos uses the gauntlet to literally re-write reality and murder half of the universe. Then after they beat Thanos, they take back the glove and use it to put reality back to where it was. Given that the glove can re-write reality from the past onward, do you think that is how they are going to approach Phase 4, with the freedom to re-write whatever they feel like in Avengers 4?

Midblown  :o

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: November 03, 2017, 06:50:39 AM »
8 hours until viewing!

:caffeine:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #792 on: November 03, 2017, 07:37:02 AM »
So....

Well, there certainly is precedent for that given that that was a major plot point in Doctor Strange.  So I guess it wouldn't surprise me.  They've clearly set up that the time stone can operate that way in the MCU.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #793 on: November 03, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »
Caught Ragnarok last night last minute getting off work. Really, it was amazing how fast I got through Los Angeles traffic to make this get together with my pals. But I really enjoyed large parts of it, and the art direction might be the very best we’ve seen in an MCU film. There were a couple of shots in particular are breathtakingly realised, and looked like wonderful pre-production art. The look of this film is truly amazing. No wonder James Gunn said it's more colorful than any of his Guardians movies. And the macho man banters between Thor and Hulk is always welcoming.

But I found myself getting a little frustrated by the film’s refusal to make a point seriously. For instance, weren't two of Thor's friends brutally murdered... before a quick cut to Karl Urban using a shake weight? The villain ruthlessly cuts down our hero’s friends, but 2 seconds later were laughing at a cheap gag. The gags do kill all the drama with Hela's attack on Asgard falling pretty flat. Still an issue I have with the recent MCU films, probably ever since Age of Ultron

Good film overall. I still prefer Kenneth Branagh's Shakespearean take from the first film, but this film visually is the best since the Russo Bros films. Probably the best in any MCU film.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: November 03, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
But I found myself getting a little frustrated by the film’s refusal to make a point seriously. For instance, weren't two of Thor's friends brutally murdered... before a quick cut to Karl Urban using a shake weight? The villain ruthlessly cuts down our hero’s friends, but 2 seconds later were laughing at a cheap gag. The gags do kill all the drama with Hela's attack on Asgard falling pretty flat. Still an issue I have with the recent MCU films, probably ever since Age of Ultron

In response to the spoiler/small font above ... it didn't happen quie that way... Skurge was mopping up the floor when Volstagg and Fandral were killed (the shake weight was earlier).  Minor difference, but I get your point.  Frankly, I was more bothered by the opening scene, and Thor spinning around 3x while having his verbal showdown with Surtur.  First one was funny, the next two were a bit much.

Semi spoilery ...

Overall, I think they could've dropped some of the gags - they were all pretty good for a chuckle, but on the whole I just felt there were too many.  I also wasn't a big fan of how Korg was presented.  In the comics, he was as bad-ass as Hulk, just not quite as strong and indestructible.  I would've liked for the Hulk-Fenris battle to have had more screen time.  That could've been a bit more epic.  Lastly (for the moment), I would've liked to have seen the Midgard Serpent, Thor to lose the second eye, and it to be clear that he now had the Odinpower.

On the whole, Top 5 MCU movie for sure on first watch... maybe higher after I let it sink in and see it some more times.  The explanation as to how Hela could hold Mjolnir was excellent, and I liked how they stayed faithful to the comics as to how Ragnarok comes to an end - both the original Thor comics, and the Thor Disassembled series.  Except for the (lack of) death of Heimdall... the fact that he still lives puts a still leaves the door open that he will somehow be connected to the Soul Stone.  I hope they don't put it in Wakanda... as that means three of these stones ended up on earth - what *is*
 so special about Earth that 3 of the stones found there way here?

Looks like Marvel is setting a new pattern with the additional scenes - mid credits = setup for future movies; end credit = comic relief.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #795 on: November 04, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
So yeah, Thor Ragnarök!

Loved it! I had a big stupid grin on my face, the entire time. :lol Easily the funniest Marvel movie yet, almost all the jokes landed for me. This is really a comedy first, and a comic book movie second.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #796 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »
Yeah, just saw it, really great. I just wish they didn’t feel the need to always push the envelope on the graphicness of the violence.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: November 06, 2017, 04:29:02 AM »
Yeah, just saw it, really great. I just wish they didn’t feel the need to always push the envelope on the graphicness of the violence.

???  Not sure if serious.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #798 on: November 06, 2017, 06:13:01 AM »

It’s a franchise largely marketed to kids. A guy got his eye gouged out and there were dozens of impalements. Are YOU serious?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: November 06, 2017, 06:30:31 AM »
All of which was accomplished without a single drop of blood or a tiny spatter of gore. I don't know if you have kids, Dream Team, but I have never known any kid, ever, that would be negatively effected by it. I think your use of the word graphic is inaccurate.

Edit -  In fact, the eye gouge you mention was something more akin to Hela waiving a wand and Thor suddenly having a dark space where his right eye was.  That's it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: November 06, 2017, 06:39:13 AM »

It’s a franchise largely marketed to kids. A guy got his eye gouged out and there were dozens of impalements. Are YOU serious?

Podaar took the words off my keyboard.  The loss of an eye was tantamount to a scab - hardly "graphic".  I guess your definition of "graphic" is far different than mine ... "graphic" =/= violence, nor does the target audience or rating have anything to do with "graphic".  Guess you haven't seen Logan or Deadpool?

Offline Adami

« Reply #801 on: November 06, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »
So apparently Fox is in talks to possibly sell their movie rights (and other things) to Disney. Which would mean Marvel would get X-Men and Fantastic Four (and all characters associated) back into their fold.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of Marvel having FF back. But X-Men? Less so. Marvel would never allow a Deadpool, or Logan, or X-Force to be made. So I'm a bit nervous about that since Deadpool and Logan were some of the best comic book movies I've seen. And do we really want a PG-13 Wolverine movie with him making jokes for 80% of it? I dunno.

Very torn on this. It would really depend if Disney would ever allow those R-rated risky movies to be made the way Fox did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #802 on: November 06, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
Very torn on this. It would really depend if Disney would ever allow those R-rated risky movies to be made the way Fox did.
Both of those movies were very good, though for different reasons. But I would argue that the things that made them great were not the gratuitous violence and the f-bombs. Deadpool was a lot of fun. Thor Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy both were a blast and were PG-13. Ragnarak had bodies falling all over the place and didn't amp up the blood and gore and I didn't miss it at all. Logan was a great movie. It had a good story, characters we cared about, and great acting. I felt the over the top violence took away from the movie at times. I agree that it's unlikely Disney makes either of those movies even in a tamed down PG-13 format, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility that Disney could make great X-Men or Deadpool movies.

Offline Adami

« Reply #803 on: November 06, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
It wasn't the f-bombs or gore that made them great, but that freedom was necessary. A PG-13 version of either would have simply been an inferior product.

No doubt that Disney could make a fine fun PG-13 movie for either, but now that we've seen what they CAN be, I doubt those family friendly versions would be as satisfying.

And for Logan, the movie is just dark and human, and lacking a bunch of fun family quips. You add a bunch of good times and jokes and so forth to Logan and it's a different movie.

I also pointed out Logan and Deadpool specifically. Disney could make better X-Men movies than Fox, no doubt. Those movies are fun family movies. I just want some of these movies to NOT be fun family movies, and I doubt Disney would consider doing that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #804 on: November 07, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »
It wasn't the f-bombs or gore that made them great, but that freedom was necessary.
I definitely agree that the freedom to make the movie you want without having to ensure it conforms to a PG-13 rating makes a big difference.