Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251624 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #560 on: July 07, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
Spoiler- The Captain America PSA's were fucking hysterical.

Totally. I honestly don't have a spoiler to add, just wanted to write something in little text. Hi person who reads this!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #561 on: July 07, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »

Totally. I honestly don't have a spoiler to add, just wanted to write something in little text. Hi person who reads this!

Word dude...word...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #562 on: July 08, 2017, 04:57:50 AM »

Absolutely.  Especially the LAST one.

In retrospect, I think this might be the first time in the MCU that the hero was actually scared of the bad guy. I honestly can't remember the hero being scared of a villain before.

Great point... but isn't that always the case with Spidey? Or perhaps more importantly, shouldn't it be?  He's just a high-school teenager, going against some fucking insane adults.  In Spidey 1 and 2, he was afraid of Goblin and Doc Oc.  That's where 3 went off the rails and he got all cocky and arrogant.  The last re-boot just didn't demonstrate that at all with Garfield.

I think past villains, (Red Skull, Malekeith, Kaecilius, Yellowjacket ...) the hero was more afraid of the outcome the villain was aiming for, and afraid of failing to stop them - vs being afraid of the villain themselves.  Though, Dr. Strange was shitting bricks when he first had to face Kaecilius and his goons.

Spoiler on this topic ... I didn't pickup that Toomes was going to be Liz's dad until Peter rang the doorbell. From that moment on, is exactly where/when he became afraid - of the whole situation.  I didn't get the sense he was afraid in the first two encounters, but then when he was suit-less, and the fact it was Liz's dad - that's when fear set in.  Holland's acting - without really saying a damned thing - during those scenes was fantastic.  Also... I marked out for the Pepper cameo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #563 on: July 08, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
Just finishing up S4 of Agents of Shields. Solid finish, really hope Ghost Rider comes back, they did that character serious justice.

Online Adami

« Reply #564 on: July 08, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
Just finishing up S4 of Agents of Shields. Solid finish, really hope Ghost Rider comes back, they did that character serious justice.

I feel so bad for that show. I personally love it, and I think 3 and change seasons of it have been great quality. Unfortunately the first part of the first season was so bad that most people ditched it, and I constantly hear people talking about how awful the show currently is before admitting they only saw the first few episodes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: July 08, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »

Wicked.  Jingle.son and I still have the 2nd half (10 episodes) on the DVR.  We're going to be clearing those out the week the ladies go on vacation at the end of the month.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: July 08, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
Just saw Spider-Man: Homecoming, and loved it! So much fun.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #567 on: July 10, 2017, 01:59:50 AM »
I agree with all the Spidey praise.  Really good film, Holland was a great Peter (channeling Micheal J Fox) and also a great Spidey.    Definitely top tier Marvel.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: July 10, 2017, 05:46:14 AM »
Currently the highest rated MCU movie on IMDb.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #569 on: July 11, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »
I liked Spider-Man: Homecoming, but I didn't love it. Certainly way better than Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2. I did very much enjoy Keaton, and he's the strongest MCU villain since Loki. The issues I had with Homecoming (minor shortcomings btw) was some writing issues and lack of depth that even the very best MCU movies like Winter Solider and Iron Man have. The fun elements of the movie certainly make up for it.

[semi-spoilers]
There was one scene where Vulture flew up in the air and dropped Spidey in a lake. There was a brief moment where Vulture flew in front of the moon and spread his wings. It looked remarkably similar to a certain "signal"...

I saw it, and the Batman geek in me had a goofy smile on my face  :biggrin:

Top 3 MCU movie in my books. Within the first 15 minutes it was already the best Spidey movie (just ahead of 2).

I gotta respectively disagree. Spider-Man 2 to me is the best Marvel film ever made. Closest to it is X2 and Winter Soldier for me. I revisted Spider-Man 2 a couple times the past few years, and watched it before I went to see Homecoming, and I was reminded of it's greatness. I still haven't seen a Marvel film that has topped the storytelling prowess (Alvin Sargent, baby. Wonderful writer), the character building and motivations, HEART, and the sympathy for a superhero character trying to do the right thing than Spider-Man 2. The film is perfectly paced. Spider-Man 2 toned down the scale of a big budget superhero film for the sake of narrative flow, and showed it was more than ok to do so. Less is more.

Online Adami

« Reply #570 on: July 11, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
To be fair, he said top 3 MCU films. Not top 3 Marvel films.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #571 on: July 11, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »
To be fair, he said top 3 MCU films. Not top 3 Marvel films.
He also said "best Spidey movie" which I'm assuming is the part Accelerando was respectfully disagreeing with.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: July 12, 2017, 06:03:52 AM »
True... I was mixing and matching.

Now that we're almost a week in, I'm not going to small text my spoilers, so be warned....

One thing jingle.daughter noticed that I didn't pick up on, how/why is this (and ergo Civil War) taking place in 2020?  Given Marvel/Fiege's attention to detail, this seems odd.  Or, long ass theory as to why the timelines are all fucked up.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #573 on: July 12, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »

I gotta respectively disagree. Spider-Man 2 to me is the best Marvel film ever made. Closest to it is X2 and Winter Soldier for me.

That's a real tough one, and will require a re-watch of Homecoming.  But right now I'd say Spider-Man 2 is a probably the better film, but tone wise Homecoming nails it and is therefore probably the better Spider-Man film.

It's insane how good this year has been for superhero movies,  people were predicting the bubble would burst with over saturation.  But Logan, GotG2, Wonder Woman and now Homecoming - that's an absolute quality line-up of movies. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: July 12, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »

It's insane how good this year has been for superhero movies,  people were predicting the bubble would burst with over saturation.  But Logan, GotG2, Wonder Woman and now Homecoming - that's an absolute quality line-up of movies.

I was thinking the same thing while driving home from Homecoming...except I didn't include GotG2. I didn't hate it, but I'd completely forgotten about it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #575 on: July 12, 2017, 09:56:28 AM »
I went on Saturday night for Spiderman: Homecoming and really enjoyed it. Don't know if I'd quite put it with the absolute top tier MCU movies, but it's right below them. Tom Holland seems just about perfectly cast, and I really enjoyed Michael Keaton's performance as well.

***SPOILER***
One thing I thought was weird was that when Michael Keaton opened the door on Homecoming night people in the theater audibly reacted with sounds of surprise, you'd think they were watching the end of The Usual Suspects for the first time or something. I thought that was pretty clearly where they were going :lol
***END SPOILER***
Photobucket sucks.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »
I didn't audibly react but I was definetely surprised. After that moment I could look back and see that they were building towards that all along, but in the very moment he opened the door I imagine felt pretty much like Peter Parker did.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: July 13, 2017, 04:35:00 AM »
I didn't audibly react but I was definetely surprised. After that moment I could look back and see that they were building towards that all along, but in the very moment he opened the door I imagine felt pretty much like Peter Parker did.

I dawned on me just as Peter was pressing the doorbell that Toomes was going to be Liz's dad.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: July 13, 2017, 06:12:24 AM »
I didn't see it coming, I'll admit it. Holland's acting in that moment and through the scene in the house was fantastic. I felt the way his face looked.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #579 on: July 13, 2017, 06:28:21 AM »
I didn't see it coming, I'll admit it. Holland's acting in that moment and through the scene in the house was fantastic. I felt the way his face looked.  :lol

Me too. What's wrong with us?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: July 13, 2017, 06:39:25 AM »

Me too. What's wrong with us?! :lol

I don't know about you, King, but I tend to watch movies with an almost physical connection. Especially now that the Cinemas all have luxury loungers and I don't have obnoxious movie goers disrupting me. I find it very easy, while watching, to suspend my disbelief and just ride the movie like a wave. That's what's wrong with me.  :lol

It's after it's all over that my critical mind starts to pick things apart.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: July 13, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
We never saw the wife before the door opened to see the mixed race family.  I think I was just so involved in the moment and not trying to put the pieces together.  I do too much of that at work that I don't want to do that with my entertainment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: July 13, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
I don't know about you, King, but I tend to watch movies with an almost physical connection. Especially now that the Cinemas all have luxury loungers and I don't have obnoxious movie goers disrupting me. I find it very easy, while watching, to suspend my disbelief and just ride the movie like a wave. That's what's wrong with me.  :lol

It's after it's all over that my critical mind starts to pick things apart.

Ditto. 

Though, some movies are just so bad it's hard NOT to pick them apart while watching (I'm looking at you, Michael Bay :glare:)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #583 on: July 13, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »
I do see being surprised by it. It idly crossed my mind in the party scene when we saw how nice her house was, but I didn't get a strong feeling about it until the scenes showing him getting ready for the homecoming. I just was surprised at how surprised people in my theater were I guess.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:14 PM »
So apparently they released the first teaser trailer for Infinity War at D23 today, and people who saw it went nuts.

No online footage, obviously, but plenty of descriptions you can easily find. Sounds pretty awesome, wish I could see it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: July 16, 2017, 02:11:24 PM »
Just caught the earlybird showing of Spider-Man: Homecoming today, and I thought it was very good. Glad to see Spider-Man rise back up to that level of quality.

Online Adami

« Reply #586 on: July 18, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »
Walton Goggins has joined Ant-Man & The Wasp in a key role.

In a related note, my interest in Ant-Man & The Wasp just went much higher.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: July 18, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »
Walter Goggins pleases me.

Online Adami

« Reply #588 on: July 18, 2017, 10:29:24 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #589 on: July 19, 2017, 01:45:49 AM »
Lists are pointless, but fun.   Here is my list in order of preference of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far...
In brackets I've included some of the better Non Cinematic Universe films, any film not in the list is in the meh tier (Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men 3, All the F4 films etc, etc)
Great Tier.

1. Winter Soldier.
(Spider-Man 2)
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Civil War.
4. Avengers 1.
(Logan)
5. Spider-Man : Homecoming.
(Deadpool)

Good Tier.

(First Class)
6. Ant-Man.
7. Iron Man
(Spider-Man 1)
8. Iron Man 3
9. Guardians 2.
10. Avengers 2.
(X-Men 2)

Decent Tier.

11. First Avenger.
12. Thor.
13. Doctor Strange.
(X-Men 1)
(Days of Future Past)
(Marvel : Netflix)
14. Incredible Hulk.

Meh Tier.

15. Thor 2
16. Iron Man 2.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: July 19, 2017, 04:28:44 AM »
Really not sure how the FF reboot can be considered anything other than "Tripe tier".  Thor 2 and IM2 were not worse than the ones you didn't list.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #591 on: July 19, 2017, 04:32:43 AM »
Really not sure how the FF reboot can be considered anything other than "Tripe tier".  Thor 2 and IM2 were not worse than the ones you didn't list.
I think what he was getting at was that he couldn't be bothered listing the non-MCU ones out below a certain quality threshold.

I'll have a go at doing this too, though probably not ranking within tiers as that's too difficult. Also if we're separating out movies within a series (IM 1, 2, 3, etc) then we should separate out the different TV shows (arguably seasons too, though in the case of Agents I don't have strong views on the different seasons).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #592 on: July 19, 2017, 05:01:21 AM »
I think what he was getting at was that he couldn't be bothered listing the non-MCU ones out below a certain quality threshold.

Yeah this.  Everything I didn't list is no better (and more often than not) worse then IM2 and Thor2.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #593 on: July 19, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »
I'm going to have a go at just doing the MCU for now. No Guardians 2 or Spider-Man as I haven't seen those yet.

Top tier:

The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
-----
TV: Daredevil
TV: Jessica Jones

Great tier:

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
-----
TV: Agents of SHIELD
TV: Agent Carter

Good tier:

Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
-----
TV: Luke Cage
TV: Iron Fist

Decent tier:

Iron Man 2

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #594 on: July 19, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
Saw Homecoming last night.  And (other than the usual issues with most/all of the Marvel films), it was fantastic.  I hate to go too far while it still has the "new car smell," but it could very well be the best yet.  It is certainly up there.  SO much fun. 

The front door scene and what followed was fantastic.  I also really liked the Ferris Bueller scene.  And I was actually kinda glad they were a bit hamfisted about it and actually made a nod directly to the movie because I was momentarily unsure if that was what they were actually going for or if it was just a coincidence. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:46:28 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."