Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251563 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #490 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »
All I want is an entire movie of Yandu wrecking fools with that arrow.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: May 11, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »
Well then. Due to this one oversight and this one oversight alone, I now officially despise the movie as well as the entire MCU.

Hey that one guy hated the entirety of The Astonishing because James LaBrie sang the word "time" a bit weird.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #492 on: May 11, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #493 on: May 11, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »
:metal

That scene with him and Rocket might have been the highlight of the movie for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #494 on: May 11, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
Hey, I'm not knocking it.  But even the House of Blue Leaves/Crazy 88 scene in Kill Bill was only one scene in an entire film.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #495 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
So Agents has officially been renewed for a 5th season.

Might be in their best interest to go balls out and make this their last season.

Also, given some thought to two of the major complaints about Guardians 2. First, the odd pacing with the gold people. I think if they went away after Ego came and blew them all up, that would have been better. You could still have that post credit scene too and it would have made just as much sense.

Second, the switch in Ego from dad to bad guy. I think his original motivation was actually really cool. His name is Ego. He is a god damn ego. So his idea of making everything a part of him was a neat idea, though it needed to be a bit more developed. However, his thing of killing the mom....that wasn't so good. It didn't ruin anything for me, but it felt unnecessary. And it also makes 2 Marvel movies where the big switch is "I don't care, you killed my mom". Peter could have easily realized that Ego's plan was against everything his mom stood for and still turned against him in a similar fashion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #496 on: May 12, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »
Also, given some thought to two of the major complaints about Guardians 2. First, the odd pacing with the gold people. I think if they went away after Ego came and blew them all up, that would have been better. You could still have that post credit scene too and it would have made just as much sense. 
Wait, you lost me.  If who blew who up?  I'm not sure what you are saying.

Second, the switch in Ego from dad to bad guy. I think his original motivation was actually really cool. His name is Ego. He is a god damn ego. So his idea of making everything a part of him was a neat idea, though it needed to be a bit more developed. However, his thing of killing the mom....that wasn't so good. It didn't ruin anything for me, but it felt unnecessary. And it also makes 2 Marvel movies where the big switch is "I don't care, you killed my mom". Peter could have easily realized that Ego's plan was against everything his mom stood for and still turned against him in a similar fashion.

I wasn't really with you until the last sentence.  That's actually a really good point and would have made it more powerful, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #497 on: May 12, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
Wait, you lost me.  If who blew who up?  I'm not sure what you are saying.

I think he's saying that if the gold people hadn't popped up again in the movie proper after Ego destroyed all their ships when they were chasing the Guardians.

As far as the stuff with Ego and Peter's mom, for me I think the way it was delivered added something to Ego. It helped flesh out how detached from reality he was, the way he somewhat casually threw it into the conversation. He easily could have kept that information to himself, but he shared it because he didn't see anything wrong with it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Adami

« Reply #498 on: May 12, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
What AxeBodySpray said.

If the gold dudes had just stopped being in the movie after the first big space fight when Ego came and blew up their fleet and the Guardians crash landed, that would have been better. They weren't necessary for that final battle.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #499 on: May 13, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »
Just in case anyone needs more reasons to love Chris Pratt.

Here's a super awesome, friendly, charismatic interview with him.........while he completes a rubik's cube in 3 minutes or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9RdCwptv-8
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: May 15, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
I have to say I didn't like GOTG 2. I thought most jokes were pretty bad, Drax was a parody of a character and so was Rocket, he was taken to an extreme that ended up being extremely annoying and the conflicts he generated didn't really have any impact on the movie other than being annoying. The whole sister fight was taken to an extreme that didn't make any sense, they really tried to kill each other but in the end they really didn't mean to? That's just stupid.
What I liked about the first one is that they set up this amazing universe with great concepts, wars between different species that somehow represented good and bad, the whole mine in the celestial's head where you had gambling and outlaws, the Ravagers being some kind of bounty hunters, and then this new movie doesn't use any of that. I liked the new Sovereign Race and how they were portrayed, but I feel like they were not really used to their full potential.
I thought the main story was a bit too much with all this we are immortal beings and we can do whatever we want, let's wipe the universe, blah blah blah. I knew they would deep dive into Peter's father story in this one, but that shouldn't have been the main plot and it shouldn't have been as ridiculous as it was.
Overall I was very disappointed, I expected a lot more from this movie.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #501 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
ABC moves Agents of Shield to Friday nights next fall.   :tdwn

At least we're getting the Inhumans tv show as well, but the move to Fridays could likely spell the end of AoS.  Hopefully being paired with Inhumans will keep the show afloat. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:23:48 PM by Grappler »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: May 16, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »
GOTG 2 was great and light years better than anything in the DCU thus far.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #503 on: May 17, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
@Adami:  Regarding the anachronism in the Stan Lee cameo, Gunn commented on it:  “I screwed up, I wasn’t thinking…but probably Stan Lee used the guise of a FedEx guy more than one time. It’s a mistake but it can be easily explained away.”

Regarding Agents of SHIELD:  I just watched the episode before the finale.  SO good right up until Yo-yo goes back into the video game, which once again I'm sure is going to have to make us deal with "if you lose a life in the video game, you die for real."  Otherwise, REALLY good.  Cool that Ghost Rider is back, too.  He's not my favorite character, but he has helped make this season cool.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: May 19, 2017, 01:48:30 AM »
Yeah, I agree about the Yo-Yo thing. Even in the finale, despite them twisting the events to make her succeed, she still acted like a complete moron to such a degree that I cannot overlook it. Also, the final confrontation with Aida felt a bit abrupt. But other than that I liked it. Radcliffe's end at the beach was pretty cool. Overall I'd say that the latter half of this season has been really interesting.

Curious about that ending, and Coulson's deal with the Ghost Rider.

Offline Adami

« Reply #505 on: May 19, 2017, 05:54:18 AM »
Re-watching Guardians 1. Noticed a small back and forth between Rocket and Gamora when Peter is wondering why Rocket is building a bomb in the middle.

Rocket: What if we need to blow up a moon?
Gamora: We're not blowing up any moons.

Interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #506 on: May 19, 2017, 06:29:27 AM »
I'm with Diego on Guardians.  Drax's comedy was WAAAAAYY too forced, and for the most part, I didn't find his constant laughing to be 'in-character'.  Maybe I don't know the comic version of the character enough, but I liked it better when he was dead-pan Drax ("nothing goes over my head.... my reflexes are too fast").

Nebula v Gamora... someone just needed a hug?  Nebula flies across the galaxy, uses the ships cannons to try and blast the shit out of Gamora, and all she wanted was a hug?  :youfail:

I liked the main story, but again... super-all-powerful-entity like Ego (who can control molecules... I think that's the power he talked about in his soliloquy disclosing his master plan) can't polish off the 8 of them at the end?  After he destroyed the entire Sovereign fleet with the snap of his fingers earlier?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and was entertained.  But in the context of the MCU, this one falls below even Ant-Man.  Probably my lease favorite MCU movie so far.

But as Kotow said (god, am I actually agreeing with him!?!?!?), still better than anything in the DCU (Nolan/Batman excluded).

Also, I marked out hard when the Stan was chit-chatting with the Watchers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #507 on: May 19, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »
You said that as if you didn't like Ant Man.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: May 19, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
Not necessarily, just that if I had to stack rank them, Ant Man is at (or certainly near) the bottom.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: May 19, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
I was going to propose rankings but then I remembered there are too many movies and I'd probably have to re-watch some of them.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: May 19, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
I was going to propose rankings but then I remembered there are too many movies and I'd probably have to re-watch some of them.

Yes. i enjoyed Ant Man. More than any of the Thor's or Iron man Sequels or Doctor Strange

But my #1 would be Avengers. And Iron Man 2 in dead last.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: May 19, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »

But as Kotow said (god, am I actually agreeing with him!?!?!?),

Steady On... :emo:

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #512 on: May 20, 2017, 02:45:38 AM »
This is kinda cool and will definitely get your Spidey senses tingling! Michael Giacchino will be using a full orchestral rendition of the 60's Spider-Man theme in Homecoming. Here's the tweet he sent of them performing it.

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/865664095084662785

At what capacity this will be in the film....main theme....end credits...climax....it hasn't been confirmed. All I know is that it's a more memorable musical theme than anything the MCU has dished out, so they might as well use it as the main theme  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #513 on: May 20, 2017, 03:11:36 AM »
Ohh maybe Spiderman's main theme will also be the Star Trek/Dr. Strange theme.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #514 on: May 20, 2017, 04:56:44 PM »
Ohh maybe Spiderman's main theme will also be the Star Trek/Dr. Strange theme.

Yeahhh..Giacchino had a lot of promise 10-15 years ago, but lately I haven't been a fan of his work. His Rogue One score especially was uninspired. Frankly, his Pixar scores are his masterworks. Up, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille are fantastic pieces of music.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #515 on: May 24, 2017, 03:47:34 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout is opening this weekend! I'm not alowed to talk about it until the attraction opens up to the public this Saturday, so until then, my lips are sealed. However, I can post this. The Collectors Fortress looks great at night

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:54:30 AM by Accelerando »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #516 on: May 28, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »
We had a very successful Media Event and Opening Day over at Disney California Adventure for Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout. For those that don't know, it replaced a very popular attraction called The Twilight Zone - The Tower of Terror, which was an accelerated drop ride. You still ride it at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, which the people that ride drop rides say its the better of the two. Tower of Terror was one of the best themed attractions, so when it was announced it was closing to make way for  a ride based off the Guardians of the Galaxy, a lot of Disney Parks fans were upset. I have to say; although I don't ride dropping rides, people should no longer be upset, because Mission Breakout is awesome!

You enter Taneleer Tivan's, aka The Collector, fortress of articfacts and things he has collected. The first thing you go through is his musuem, which has cases of things that includes Marvel and Disney Parks easter eggs

In here is Figment from the Journey Into Imagination attraction at Epcot. Figment has his own line of comic books that Marvel has produced in the past few years.

Ultron sentry

This is really freakin cool....a painting of The Collector AND The Gamekeeper, played by Jeff Goldblum

As you walk past his collections, you enter his office, which is the pre-show. There he talks to you about his latest gallery, which happens to Starlord, Gamora, Drax, Baby Groot, and Rocket...but suddenly he gets interrupted by none other than...

Rocket freakin Raccoon who broke out of his case and tells the guests in the room that he needs our help breaking out the rest of Guardians by using our handprints to enter the Gentry Lifts so that it can lift him up!

From there, there are projections of the Guardians breaking out and fighting giant space aliens as you are dropping over and over. There are 6 different simulations, depending on the song you get at the beginning of the attraction

People are loving it!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #517 on: May 30, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
But the Watchers are independent of time and space, right? So if Stan is talking about future events, does that effectively prove that he is a Watcher himself?

(just speculating out of my ass here)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: May 30, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »
But the Watchers are independent of time and space, right? So if Stan is talking about future events, does that effectively prove that he is a Watcher himself?

(just speculating out of my ass here)

Good theory, but jingle.son (and imdb) told me Stan is credited as "Watcher informant".  Also, wasn't the part where Stan references being a FedEx driver was when Rocket/Yondu were 'hopping'?

Offline Adami

« Reply #519 on: May 30, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »
Yea, Stan isn't a watcher. Dude wouldn't look human and need a space suit. Plus he's credited as an informant.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #520 on: May 31, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
Plus, since when are the Stan Lee cameos ever meant to be taken seriously?  They're just fun little nuggets.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: June 09, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
Black Panther trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWvtMOGAhw

Color me intrigued.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
How the hell did this get pushed back to make way for fucking Spider-Man: Homecoming??? This looks 10x better.

Offline Adami

« Reply #523 on: June 09, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
How the hell did this get pushed back to make way for fucking Spider-Man: Homecoming??? This looks 10x better.

I doubt they said "let's put the bad movies later in the year".

Edit: Just saw it....

.....HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS AMAZING!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:03:42 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #524 on: June 09, 2017, 09:10:28 PM »
Another must see.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC