Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250784 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #455 on: May 03, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
Also, the framework (and Ada) being so ridiculously advanced is because they built it using the darkhold. It hasn't really been talked about as much lately, so I suppose that could be easy to forget. I remember 2 or 3 weeks ago I basically had the same thoughts as bosk, thinking it really weird that Radcliffe could build all this amazing stuff, until I remembered the darkhold.
Okay, yeah, that's true.  I had forgotten about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #458 on: May 03, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
Not watching the trailer, but I am definetely excited!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #459 on: May 03, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo stoked for this. Looks awesome

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #460 on: May 04, 2017, 10:49:56 PM »
Just came back from a screening of GOTG Vol 2! I enjoyed it very much. I think I like the first film better, which is not to say anything bad about this flick. My (minor) complaints is that pacing felt all over the place, and some scenes felt too stretched out. Otherwise, just like the first film, very fun, and the interactions with each character were enjoyable. It did what I wanted it to do, which was expand of Peter's background.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #461 on: May 05, 2017, 12:42:42 AM »
Also, I enjoyed the Cliffhanger reunion moment very much  :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #462 on: May 05, 2017, 01:12:31 AM »
Yea, I justs aw it.

I really liked it. I'm going to be in the minority here, but I liked it more than the first. It had its flaws, but I felt it had less flaws than the first, which I wasn't as big on as everyone else.

Also the Ben Browder cameo was a nice touch. I doubt that counts as spoilers since most people don't care who he is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #463 on: May 05, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I probably give a little bit of an edge to the first one. Drax was hilarious though :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #464 on: May 05, 2017, 11:31:46 PM »
Saw Guardians 2 tonight.  Enjoyed it overall.  But Marvel is starting to lose me with their insistence on pushing the boundaries farther with every movie in terms of foul language and crass, childish humor.  The jokes that didn't do that were plenty funny.  So aside from all that, it was great.  Pretty fun movie.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #465 on: May 05, 2017, 11:33:49 PM »
Saw Guardians 2 tonight.  Enjoyed it overall.  But Marvel is starting to lose me with their insistence on pushing the boundaries farther with every movie in terms of foul language and crass, childish humor.  The jokes that didn't do that were plenty funny.  So aside from all that, it was great.  Pretty fun movie.

I had a bit of an issue with that stuff too, but for very different reasons.

I just kept thinking, when an alien would say things like douchebag, or a-hole or something.........how the hell are aliens using these very specific earth terms? It's not just that they're speaking english, but using super specific terms just on earth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #466 on: May 07, 2017, 05:55:02 AM »
Baby Groot was so adorable  :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: May 07, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »
So Chris Pratt posted a video on Instagram and so people could watch it at work without getting caught - he put subtitles in the vid.

He also said " Please listen to the video too - don't just read the subtitles ! "

Cue outraged SJW snowflakes getting offended that he " was incredibly insensitive towards hearing impaired people who rely on subtitles "

JFC :facepalm: the words "drop of a hat" spring to mind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: May 07, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »

I'm confused by something though. When Quill's ship violently crashes on that planet and Drax & Gamora are basically hanging on and basically bouncing off trees...

I know Gamora is a daughter of Thanos but Drax ? He was not harmed at all...

Is it just Hollywood heroes are invulnerable or is Drax invulnerable too ? Was it because they all held the infinity stone in the first one ?

I don't remember.

Offline Adami

« Reply #469 on: May 07, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »

I'm confused by something though. When Quill's ship violently crashes on that planet and Drax & Gamora are basically hanging on and basically bouncing off trees...

I know Gamora is a daughter of Thanos but Drax ? He was not harmed at all...

Is it just Hollywood heroes are invulnerable or is Drax invulnerable too ? Was it because they all held the infinity stone in the first one ?

I don't remember.

I can only speak to the comic versions, but yea, Drax and Gamora are pretty close to indestructible. Drax is meant to take on the likes of Thanos, being one of the few who should be able to best him in hand to hand combat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: May 07, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
I'd love to know if that crash scene was 100% CGI or if a model was used at all.

It looked way better than the saucer crash in Star Trek Beyond.

It actually reminded me of the saucer crash in Star Trek Generations - which was a 6ft saucer model.

Offline Adami

« Reply #471 on: May 07, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »
Also spoilers for GOTG2 below...

The cameo by the original Guardians was really cool, though I'm pretty sure Marvel has no plans to do anything whatsoever with them. Damn shame because  I was not expecting that at all and it was a really cool surprise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: May 07, 2017, 02:45:23 PM »

Were they the people Stan Lee was talking to ?

Offline Adami

« Reply #473 on: May 07, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »

Were they the people Stan Lee was talking to ?

More spoilers.

No, those were The Watchers. They were also super unexpected and incredible. The original guardians were the dudes Sly was with at the end.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: May 07, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
I know nothing you see. All I know about Marvel is what's presented in these films.

Anyway - the climax of this movie made it feel like the end of a trilogy already. Quite a big finish. I wonder how Vol.3 will *actually* finish...

Offline Adami

« Reply #475 on: May 07, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »
I know nothing you see. All I know about Marvel is what's presented in these films.

I gotcha, I'm just telling you what happened in those films.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #476 on: May 07, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »
The Stan Lee cameos we're awesome...so much potential for a fun little side story? I'd love to see them tweak that one a bit more.

Offline Adami

« Reply #477 on: May 07, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
So I've decided that when Iron Man and Star Lord finally meet next year, it should happen when Iron Man shows up and either interferes or saves Star Lard, which prompts the following brief exchange...

Star Lord: Who the hell are you?
Iron Man: -dramatic turn around- I'm Iron Man
Star Lord:..........who?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #478 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:05 PM »
So I've decided that when Iron Man and Star Lord finally meet next year, it should happen when Iron Man shows up and either interferes or saves Star Lard, which prompts the following brief exchange...

Star Lord: Who the hell are you?
Iron Man: -dramatic turn around- I'm Iron Man
Star Lord:..........who?

They should just cut to the guy from the first Guardians.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #479 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »
Absolutely loved the last couple of episodes of Agents of Shield.  At first, the Framework stuff seemed a little lame, but I love that it's a reciprocal thing.  You can die while in the Framework, but once you're out, you also remember everything about your virtual self, and that the virtual selves can be transformed in the real world (Aida).  That has made it really neat to see how each character reacted once they came out..

Offline Adami

« Reply #480 on: May 11, 2017, 01:36:52 AM »
Spoilers for GOTG 2

So I just realized something that might just be "dude, it's just a joke, leave it be" kind of thing but....

So Guardians 2 takes place back in 2014 or so, like 2 months after the first movie. But Stan Lee talks about his cameo in Civil War which didn't happen till a few years after when this movie takes place.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: May 11, 2017, 02:32:02 AM »
Absolutely loved the last couple of episodes of Agents of Shield.

Yeah, aside from Yo-Yo just being plain stupid, the latest episode was really interesting.

That shot with Fitz attempting to hold back his tears as Jemma comes into the room was fantastic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #482 on: May 11, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »
Spoilers for GOTG 2

So I just realized something that might just be "dude, it's just a joke, leave it be" kind of thing but....

So Guardians 2 takes place back in 2014 or so, like 2 months after the first movie. But Stan Lee talks about his cameo in Civil War which didn't happen till a few years after when this movie takes place.
He traveled back in time to let them know.

OR

It's a plot hole.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #483 on: May 11, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »
Or the post credit scenes are not set in 2014.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #484 on: May 11, 2017, 08:06:21 AM »
Boom, there you go.

For sure, not all of them are.  See: Teen Angst Groot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #485 on: May 11, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
I'm just going to go with "plot hole."  But even if it is, no big deal.  This far into the MCU, with so many moving parts, and so many hands in the pot, holes and inconsistencies are to be expected.  And it's a complete throwaway scene that adds nothing whatsoever to the story anyway. 

That said, thinking back on the movie, I'm still not sure what to think about it.  I'm somewhat of two minds.  On one hand, it managed to be genuinely funny quite frequently.  Yesterday, my boys and one of their friends were reciting scene after scenes, and cracking up over some of the jokes, and I found myself laughing right along with them.  Then there's the whole theme and subtext of "learning to become a family" and dealing with "family" dysfunctionality, which I thought was actually really cool and well done.  On the other hand, the movie was just stupid.  Frequently.  And it was somewhat of a mess, jumping around from one thing to the next.  And this is true of the effects as well.  At times, they were really, really cool and psychedelic.  At others, they went too far in presented out-there '90s imagery with credible special effects only possible with modern day technology to the point where things just looked silly and unbelievable.  So, at the end of the day, while I enjoyed the film, I'm not really sure what to do with it in my mind.  I'm kind of left feeling along the lines of, "Yeah, that was...cool, but...eh."

Offline Adami

« Reply #486 on: May 11, 2017, 09:40:09 AM »

Was that line in the post credits scene or in the actual movie?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #487 on: May 11, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
If I recall correctly, we saw Stan Lee talking to those aliens during Rocket's multi-jump trip to Ego. The part where they walk away from him as he tried to regale them further was the post-credits scene. So it certainly looks like the conversation was ongoing during the events of the film.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #488 on: May 11, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
If I recall correctly, we saw Stan Lee talking to those aliens during Rocket's multi-jump trip to Ego. The part where they walk away from him as he tried to regale them further was the post-credits scene. So it certainly looks like the conversation was ongoing during the events of the film.
Correct. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #489 on: May 11, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »
Well then. Due to this one oversight and this one oversight alone, I now officially despise the movie as well as the entire MCU.

fanticide.bandcamp.com