Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248364 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2017, 07:49:08 AM »
Shame they used Ben Kingsley already, he is the spitting image of the Vulture!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #351 on: March 30, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »
re: Iron Fist.

I'm completely with everyone who range from disappointment to not liking it at all.  Somewhere in between for me.  Danny Rand was an absolute moron - not just as a businessman, but having no street-sense whatsoever.  And his mounting anger towards the end was rushed and contrived.  I liked the evolution of Ward as a character, but am completely dumbfounded at Joy's turn in the closing scenes.  :wtf:  Far too many minor plot holes and 'as if' moments - throwing stars made out of tin-foil.  Ok  ::)  Another wtf moment was when he lost the fist because he couldn't center his Qi, but being put in handcuffs and an elevator ride allows him to re-summon the fist?   ::) When did Claire become a strong enough fighter to take on the people that Danny couldn't easily best.  Can you really walk around NYC carrying a sheathed scimitar without being questioned?  I could go on and on.

Easily the worst of the 5 Netflix Marvel series.  And did anyone else notice that each episode was on the lower end of the 50 minute range?  Over the span of 13 episodes, that really made it more like 12 episodes (compared to the other series').

I is disappoint - but glad the watching is finally over with.

re: Spiderman

Giggity.  I can totally get over the fact that the suit is coming from Stark/Avengers.  It's time to move past Spiderman movies being an origin story, so what they're doing here is 100% ok by me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
Anyone catch Agents of Shield last night? I thought it was really good and a lot of fun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »
Oh, wow.  No, I had forgotten that it started up again.  I'll have to go back to the DVR.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: April 05, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
jingle.son and I still haven't caught up from when it started back up in January.  I think we've got 10 episodes on the DVR.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #355 on: April 05, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
jingle.son and I still haven't caught up from when it started back up in January.  I think we've got 10 episodes on the DVR.

Like prior seasons, it tends to start off a bit slow, and it isn't clear where it is headed, but then gains a head of steam and really gets going toward the latter half, and the disparate loose ends from the first half start to come together and make sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #356 on: April 05, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »
Anyone catch Agents of Shield last night? I thought it was really good and a lot of fun.

I'll be watching it later tonight.  I don't get the criticism of the show.  Yes, everyone wants more crossover, but Marvel gave them the full lead-in to Age of Ultron, which was really cool.  The Ghost Rider stuff this year kicked ass.

Finally saw Doctor Strange last weekend.  That was absolutely fantastic and visually stunning - I'm excited to see him interact with the other Avengers in Thor Raganarok and Infinity War.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #357 on: April 05, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
Finally saw Doctor Strange last weekend.  That was absolutely fantastic and visually stunning - I'm excited to see him interact with the other Avengers in Thor Raganarok and Infinity War.

I thought it was good, but not great.  I rank it down near the bottom of the Marvel films, personally.  But that isn't to say it is bad.  None of them are.  It just didn't rise to the level of most of the others for me.  One thing that bothered me was the continuity errors in the timeline, and I really wish they had been more careful about that.  In the grand scheme of things, it is fairly minor.  But the problem is, for movies like these, you have to suspend a lot of belief.  Minor things like timeline continuity errors that take you out of the moment don't help you suspend belief and immerse yourself in the story, and can take away from one's ability to do so.  To be believable, Strange's personal journey should have taken years.  But even if that is what is intended, the way it plays out on screen, it feels like it only takes a few months.  And although the clues aren't obvious and are in fact pretty subtle (I only know because of some online sources I read after the fact), clues in the film that I believe were actually just mistakes pretty much cement the timeline as a mere matter of months.  The writing team could have made fairly slight changes to tighten that up and given us a much more realistic, believable timeline. 

...but then again, I personally have never gone from cocky surgeon superstar to sorcerer supreme, so what do I know about how long the process should take?  :dunno:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #358 on: April 05, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »
Same here, except no DVR. So I guess we have to wait until it hits Netflix.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #359 on: April 05, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »

I thought it was good, but not great.  I rank it down near the bottom of the Marvel films, personally.  But that isn't to say it is bad.  None of them are.  It just didn't rise to the level of most of the others for me.  One thing that bothered me was the continuity errors in the timeline, and I really wish they had been more careful about that.  In the grand scheme of things, it is fairly minor.  But the problem is, for movies like these, you have to suspend a lot of belief.  Minor things like timeline continuity errors that take you out of the moment don't help you suspend belief and immerse yourself in the story, and can take away from one's ability to do so.  To be believable, Strange's personal journey should have taken years.  But even if that is what is intended, the way it plays out on screen, it feels like it only takes a few months.  And although the clues aren't obvious and are in fact pretty subtle (I only know because of some online sources I read after the fact), clues in the film that I believe were actually just mistakes pretty much cement the timeline as a mere matter of months.  The writing team could have made fairly slight changes to tighten that up and given us a much more realistic, believable timeline. 

...but then again, I personally have never gone from cocky surgeon superstar to sorcerer supreme, so what do I know about how long the process should take?  :dunno:
I personally liked DR. Strange. I agree with 99.9% of what you said tho.
The writers sometime get put into a box. I wholeheartedly agree with you how they did the timeline.

But let us be honest. Those of us that are comic book geeks Should have a problem with it. BUT, we are a minority when it comes to stuff like that, Marvel will continue to make BILLIONS of the mvies. But most people just now the storyline as what they see on film.
And that is ok. Doesn't diminish, at least fore me how conistant they are in movie quality. LOL one iron man movie aside

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #360 on: April 05, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
For us geeks, star wars, marvel etc we sometimes tend to be tooooooooooooooooooo over analytical. Way I look a it is we have been lucky for some AWESOME Marvel movies. Could be worse and they make a bad J lo movie

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #361 on: April 05, 2017, 09:12:43 PM »
Saw the newest Shield episode.

Interesting, lots of build up, curious to see where it will go. I love the "What if...." use.

Anyone else find it odd that this is the same season that had Ghost Rider?

It seems Marvel found an interesting way to make use of those long 24 episode seasons. Do 3 mini seasons in one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: April 06, 2017, 12:19:16 AM »
Yeah, I think that was a bit odd actually. I mean, the Ghost Rider stuff was all good, but I thought that that would be like 'the thing' this season. So when it ended so soon it felt a bit weird. I'm not really complaining though, since all the L.M.D stuff has been great too.

Offline Adami

« Reply #363 on: April 06, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »
Yeah, I think that was a bit odd actually. I mean, the Ghost Rider stuff was all good, but I thought that that would be like 'the thing' this season. So when it ended so soon it felt a bit weird. I'm not really complaining though, since all the L.M.D stuff has been great too.

I think they're trying a new way to do a season. Apparently shows must not have a less than 24 episode season option anymore, and they've heard (accurately) that 24 episodes on one story leaves A LOT of filler. So doing 3 mini seasons within a season really helps with that.

I think they tried a similar deal with Daredevil season 2, and to a much worse degree, Luke Cage. Daredevil had Punisher and then Elektra, basically 2 mini seasons, and Luke Cage tried to do the Diamond Back thing as a second arc that just failed miserably.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #364 on: April 06, 2017, 06:28:10 AM »
Saw the newest Shield episode.

Interesting, lots of build up, curious to see where it will go. I love the "What if...." use.

Anyone else find it odd that this is the same season that had Ghost Rider?

It seems Marvel found an interesting way to make use of those long 24 episode seasons. Do 3 mini seasons in one.

I just saw it last night.  I got to say I like this tactic.  They can intertwine storylines and it makes it interesting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #365 on: April 10, 2017, 07:22:01 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #367 on: April 10, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
Damn, those youtube commenters never get old.

I thought it looked awesome. It definitely has the usual humor tone to it but if anyone that watches any Marvel films isn't used to that by now, they're fools. I mean good lord, literally every single film so far has had a decent amount of humor sprinkled in between the action and drama. Every single one. I thought the humorous "He's a friend from work!" was perfect. I mean why wouldn't he be excited to see Hulk? Only to find he's in pure rage mode.

Super excited for this one. I've seen and read Planet Hulk so many times and while I'm not expected anything like that or that epic, I'm glad they're taking notes and pieces from it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #368 on: April 10, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
Looks cool!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #369 on: April 10, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
Boy, the superintendent's gonna be pissed!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #370 on: April 10, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
Only complaint is that it says "Coming Soon" at the end instead of "Coming Now".
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: April 10, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
Immigrant Song was the absolute perfect choice for the music.

"Valhalla I am coming!"

Giggity.

Offline Adami

« Reply #372 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
That looked great. Really great visual style.

Also Hela catching and crushing the hammer was awesome, especially that look on her face.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »
My only real complaint is the movie looking a bit too CGI heavy. I get that it's a superhero movie set in space but I sometimes get Prequel-flashbacks when it looks like a character in front of a green screen, but hopefully with finished effects it looks better in the final movie. I was smiling through most of it. Even though I don't like the Thor movies that much, this looks like an enjoyable popcorn flick that will entertain me as I watch it, and that's really all I need from a Thor movie. If it ends up better than that and has massive rewatchability, that's a bonus.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #374 on: April 10, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
I've never been more attracted to Cate Blanchett. Ever.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #375 on: April 10, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »
:lol  Not that I disagree, but have you ever seen Bandits?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: April 10, 2017, 03:34:12 PM »

Oh, god yeah. The red hair... :drool:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: April 10, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »
Goldblum.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2017, 03:39:24 PM »
Man, that trailer has me SO excited.  Aside from maybe the Age of Ultron trailers, this is easily one of the best if not THE best of the MCU.  If Ragnarok even halfway lives up to the trailer, it's going to be really good.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »
Ugh, other than The Phantom Menace, I don't think I've ever been majorly let down from a movie based on a fantastic trailer like Age of Ultron.

Let's not go there with this Thor flik lol. I haven't been this excited for a MCU film since Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also

Just looked that shit up and DAMN  :omg:

Offline Adami

« Reply #380 on: April 11, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »
Yea, I didn't mind Ultron, but that trailer hinted at what could have been the best Marvel movie yet.

IM3 did something similar. They went for the super dark gritty serious trailers, for an overall lighter fluffier film.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #381 on: April 12, 2017, 01:01:55 AM »
I don't think it's connected to the MCU, but ya'll should be aware Telltale Games is dropping the first episode of their Guardians of the Galaxy game next week. Telltale does episodic choose your adventure/decision making games, so theres not a lot of action or "blasting" but the storytelling has always kept me hooked. The first season of their The Walking Dead series is one of the best games I ever played. They've done DC  games before; Batman and The Wolf Among Us which is based on Fables, two games I highly recommend. Guardians will be their first Marvel game.

Again, not sure if its connected to the MCU, but with the hype of the new movie coming out (and ride that is replacing Tower of Terror at Disney California Adventure), i think its something yall might want to check out.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #382 on: April 12, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »
Yeah that trailer was frigging perfect. Can't go wrong with Zep!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Adami

« Reply #383 on: April 12, 2017, 01:41:34 AM »
As someone on youtube pointed out, it's really cool that they went with the original version of Immigrant Song and not some weird new melodramatic, electronic, slowed down version like most other modern trailers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: April 12, 2017, 01:45:06 AM »
As someone on youtube pointed out, it's really cool that they went with the original version of Immigrant Song and not some weird new melodramatic, electronic, slowed down version like most other modern trailers.

Yes like that weird version of Yellow by Coldplay for X Men whatever