Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248383 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
Hef, if you can say, do we get any insight at all into what was going on with him during the time of Cap: Winter Soldier in terms of why he was referred to in that film?  Since the trailers seem to indicate that he is getting his powers in this movie (and therefore did not have them at the time of Winter Soldier), I am curious as to why he was mentioned then (other than the obvious reason of hyping up the fanbase).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »
I may go see Doctor Strange next week.

Speaking of which - it made it's entire production budget back in one day.

Thinking it's gonna be huge.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

I must say that at first, it was a little odd hearing Benedict Cumberbatch speaking in an American accent.

From the clip I heard - he sounds exactly like Hugh Laurie in House MD :P

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »
Dr. Strange was really good!

Not Avengers or Civil War or Winter Soldier level good, but much better than any of the Thor movies, or Cap 1, Iron Man's 2, 3 and Hulk.

So.......I basically tie it with Ant Man for 2nd best origin story.

The effects were insane, all the actors were really invested and it had some amazing character moments. Villain wasn't brilliant, but was better than most other ones in the MCU.

Also, the whole time the main theme was playing, I kept thinking it sounded familiar. Eventually I just said maybe it's a modification of The Avengers theme or something, whatever. Then it hit me, it's the god damn Star Trek theme! The JJ verse one. Almost note for bloody note. Looked it up, same composer.

Sloppy man, sloppy.

Also spoilers in small text:

Nico Minoru's mom with the staff of one! Very cool tiny moment.

Also....LIVING TRIBUNAL! Holy crap!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:35:18 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »

Also, the whole time the main theme was playing, I kept thinking it sounded familiar. Eventually I just said maybe it's a modification of The Avengers theme or something, whatever. Then it hit me, it's the god damn Star Trek theme! The JJ verse one. Almost note for bloody note. Looked it up, same composer.

Sloppy man, sloppy.

Very relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Also I really enjoyed Doctor Strange.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Adami

« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2016, 12:08:47 AM »
Very true, as good as it is, Marvel's music is far from memorable. Sad really.

Edit: That is a great video. Really brought out some good points that Marvel should consider moving forward. Memorable music and music that enhances the scenes would add so much.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:21:49 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »
Saw Dr. Strange last night and it was excellent.

Just want to say that Marvel is the gift that keeps on giving. I grew up on Marvel all through the 70s and 80s and even now buy lots of graphic novels. But the biggest thrill for me is being able to relive these stories through the eyes of my children (22 yo girl and 23 yo boy) who have been totally drawn into the Marvel Universe, to the point where they're following the TV shows (Daredevil, SHIELD, etc) even closer than I am.

And with every new Marvel movie release, we make it into a little family outing where I take them out for dinner to be followed by the movie. And then they pepper me with questions about back story and characters and I get to enrich their experience from my memories of the old comics. 

My mom used to scoff at me for blowing allowance money on my comic book collection, but those musty old comics have paid me back in spades.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:08:54 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2016, 10:27:52 AM »
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel716.htm

Doctor Strange.

$325m opening weekend.  :o :o

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Hef, if you can say, do we get any insight at all into what was going on with him during the time of Cap: Winter Soldier in terms of why he was referred to in that film?  Since the trailers seem to indicate that he is getting his powers in this movie (and therefore did not have them at the time of Winter Soldier), I am curious as to why he was mentioned then (other than the obvious reason of hyping up the fanbase).
It doesn't specifically address that, but the time line is a little wonky. I wouldn't be surprised if the first half of the film takes place before Winter Soldier.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
It doesn't specifically address that, but the time line is a little wonky. I wouldn't be surprised if the first half of the film takes place before Winter Soldier.

It makes a little bit of a reference to Civil War in the beginning, which is very easy to miss, but beyond that.....no. The time is a bit wonky.

Spoilers.

I wish this movie started around the time Iron Man 2 or whatever did, and if Dr. Strange spent years and years training, instead of doing it all in like a month. That way he can see what is going on in the rest of the world and be told that he can't interfere. They can reference Age of Ultron or even the New York attack  and have Strange be annoyed that he can't go help them. But alas, the timeline choice wasn't the best.

Also, no one else is pumped that they mentioned The Living Tribunal? The fact that this door is opened is insane!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2016, 11:33:12 PM »
I heard that the beginning of the movie does take place around the time of Iron Man 2. But I might be mistaken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2016, 08:57:19 AM »
It makes a little bit of a reference to Civil War in the beginning, which is very easy to miss, but beyond that.....no. The time is a bit wonky.
I must have missed that reference.

Also, no one else is pumped that they mentioned The Living Tribunal? The fact that this door is opened is insane!
Yeah, I DID catch that one, and I rejoiced mightily (but quietly to myself).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2016, 02:28:21 AM »
I must have missed that reference.

So...

During the beginning when he's in the car and he gets the phone call offering him cases that he turns down, one of them was a 35 year old colonel that injured his spine in experimental armor. I, and many others, assumed that was War Machine after Civil War, but the director of the movie said it wasn't him, though they may have meant it to be him in earlier drafts of the script. So I was wrong, not a reference.

But as far as when this movie starts, he has an award dated 2016 in the beginning, so it doesn't take place before that. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2016, 03:39:13 AM »
I heard that that specific reference is meant to be the guy who twists his spine in the Hammer Industries video that Stark pulls up at the beginning of Iron Man 2.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2016, 04:45:00 AM »
Yeah, and the person people think they are referencing is defenitely not the age that they say in the movie...

Dr. Strange was really good. I put it right below Deadpool and Civil War as the best superhero movie of the year.
As far as MCU origin stories goes, I'd rank them like this :

Iron Man
Guardians of the galaxy
Dr. Strange
Ant Man
Captain America: The first avenger
Thor
Incredible Hulk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
Yeah, the time all wonky in this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
BTW, in case you didn't know (spoilers):

Benedict Cumberbatch also played Dormammu, using motion capture.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2016, 04:26:52 PM »
Just posting this here because I stumbled upon it and want to read it, but since it contains spoilers, I don't want to read it until after I see Dr. Strange (planned for this Friday).

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/what-doctor-strange-means-to-the-future-of-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-spoilers-164656242.html
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
I heard that that specific reference is meant to be the guy who twists his spine in the Hammer Industries video that Stark pulls up at the beginning of Iron Man 2.

I mean, the movie starts off in 2016. So that wouldn't make a ton of sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2016, 02:24:24 AM »
And the director has also said that the movie only spans about a year. So yeah, that's not it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »
Interesting.  We'll see what happens.

This will apparently NOT be a spinoff for the wretched excuse for Inhumans we've seen on Agents of SHIELD, but rather dealing with the Royal Family, which is good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
I wonder if they'll have Lockjaw?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
I wonder if they'll have Lockjaw?
Hope so!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2016, 02:38:55 AM »
Is The Inhumans tv-show ment to replace the movie that was pushed back?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »
Is The Inhumans tv-show ment to replace the movie that was pushed back?
I would guess so.  But the effects used on the show are going to be cinema level, not TV level.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2016, 08:49:48 AM »
They are? I haven't heard anything about that, but if it's true, then really cool.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »
They are? I haven't heard anything about that, but if it's true, then really cool.
I read it in one of the stories, don't remember which.  But that's apparently one reason that IMAX is partnering on the show.

Offline Adami

« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
I think it'll also only be 10 episodes. Which is good. Marvel has a small issue with filler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
I can't say I have liked everything that Marvel has done in every medium, but I do have to say that, overall, they have done a remarkable job in taking advantage of various different types of media (cinema, network television, subscription tv) to create a complex, multi-layered universe with stories that cater to a pretty wide variety of audiences.  And given how many different hands they have in the pot creating all these different stories, I also think it is remarkable how unified and consistent the MCU is. 

I say that to get to the fact that I like how they have treated the Inhumans thus far, mostly on AOS.  Granted, it may help that I never read any of the comics dealing with them, so I am blissfully ignorant of any inconsistencies between the MCU and the comics.  But even if there are some, I think the overall vision of the MCU has been well served by the Inhumans arc from AOS.  I am looking forward to seeing how this will fit in.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
Granted, it may help that I never read any of the comics dealing with them, so I am blissfully ignorant of any inconsistencies between the MCU and the comics. 
I think this may be the key.

But hey, it helped you to get more enjoyment out of it than me.  So good on you.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2016, 02:03:28 AM »
New trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2  ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYQDq9efdk

Offline Adami

« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
New trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2  ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYQDq9efdk

Looks great!

I've come to accept that this version of Drax is pretty unrelated (personality wise) to his comic book version. It looks like the movie version is quite entertaining, and if you're going to re-write a character's personality, Drax isn't a bad choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
My family and I can't wait for that!

Offline Adami

« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »
First Spider-Man trailer tonight!
fanticide.bandcamp.com