Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251549 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1120 on: March 06, 2018, 10:21:15 AM »
Because we're actually concerned for Lonestar.

I get that you just want to build him up to break him down, but we actually care about him.

What happens when he goes to see Avengers 3 or 4, with that little glimmer of hope in his eye of seeing Adam Warlock and then......no Adam Warlock? What will he have to live for? He'll not only give up on the MCU, but maybe films as a medium. Then what will he have? Books?

BOOKS?!?!??!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1121 on: March 06, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
Dude, bosk, relax. Nobody's piling on or attacking you. Chill man  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1122 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
:dunno:  I didn't say anybody was.  But I was just being accused of being overly literal, when the context of this entire line of posts should actually say the opposite. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1123 on: March 06, 2018, 10:34:59 AM »

Huh?

I mean, I was going to pile on him, but in a very different way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: March 06, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
Why so serious? It's all fun here.  :biggrin: EDIT: See Adami.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1125 on: March 06, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »

Huh?

:heybaby:

Why so serious? It's all fun here.  :biggrin:

Again, I'm not being overly serious.  The "it's all fun here" is exactly my point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: March 06, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
You know what they say about text and the Internet... brb, gonna put on my homemade Spiderman onesie and save the day  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1127 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »
On a more Marvel discussion-related note:  With the relatively rapid pace these films come out, and all the tv shows, it almost seems like we don't really get a chance to discuss these and let them sink in before we're off to the next thing.  Since we're kind of talking about Guardians in general, I wasn't really sure how I felt about Guardians 2 at the time it came out.  I own it, as I do all the Marvel films.  But it's one I think I've watched ONCE at home after seeing it in the theater.  It has some good things going for it, but I never really dug it all that much.  I kind of feel like it is two films.  The stuff with the Ravagers and Yondu was really good.  The stuff with Ego, on the other hand, while having some cool moments, pretty much fell flat for me and just seemed kinda dumb.  I mean, it was really important in a lot of ways.  But in the execution, I just didn't feel like it worked and made for a good movie.  Instead, it was just kind of the foil for a lot of other cool stuff to happen.  The first film was a lot better.  I don't mind silliness, but I just felt like Guardians 2 went too far and didn't really resonate in any meaningful way.  The first one was so unique and fun that I think maybe Gunn just got lost in the tropes he felt forced into, and it's hard to make a good film when you're mainly focused on recapturing lightning in a bottle that made your first film so unique in the first place.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1128 on: March 06, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »
My only beef with GOTG 2 was how Nebula just needed a hug to make things all better.  And the Sovereign... they were annoying as hell - but served their purpose.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1129 on: March 06, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »

Huh?

*greases up*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1130 on: March 06, 2018, 03:59:48 PM »

Huh?

Me to.  Time to make an Adami sandwich.

Adami, you jacked and pumped for the new Deadpool movie?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #1131 on: March 06, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »

Huh?

Me to.  Time to make an Adami sandwich.

Adami, you jacked and pumped for the new Deadpool movie?

Oh man, there is so much to be pumped about.

Deadpool 2, Infinity War, JJ season 2, Luke Cage season 2, Daredevil season 3. Too damn much!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1132 on: March 07, 2018, 04:39:28 AM »
It does seem a bit much, one right after the other.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: March 08, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
Okay, who's ready to binge watch Jessica Jones tonight! *raises hand*
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1135 on: March 08, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
meh

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: March 08, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »
I wasn't expecting that response and literally laughed out loud! I suppose we can't all like it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1137 on: March 08, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
Well, I was thinking about it, actually.  But I checked, and I already have "get punched in the face repeatedly by my neighbor" on the calendar for tonight.  So while it's a close call as to which I'd rather do, my current appointment ever so slightly edges out JJ.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: March 08, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »
 :rollin

Okay, okay, I get it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1139 on: March 08, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »
Just kidding.  But I never even tried watching season 1, so I'm not jumping in.  If I have time to go back and do season 1 at some point, I will.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: March 08, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »
Season 1 of JJ is my favorite Marvel show ever. For my money it beats all the movies (including Deadpool) and all the other properties.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1141 on: March 08, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
Well, I legitimately thought Deadpool sucked, so that isn't a very good comparison for my tastes.  But overall point taken.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1142 on: March 08, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »
....alright.

So apparently Thanos will have very different motivation for the Infinity War movie. I'll put it in small print in case anyone considers it a spoiler.

So apparently instead of wanting to impress lady death, he wants to kill half the universe to save the other half for some reason.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1143 on: March 08, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »
Well, I legitimately thought Deadpool sucked, so that isn't a very good comparison for my tastes.  But overall point taken.

C.C. Deville said this.  Not my bosk1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1144 on: March 08, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
Digging into Ep1 now, I'd put JJ at a very close 3rd in the Netflix series right behing DD1 and Punisher, very close, I thought all three were excellent.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: March 08, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
Yo, Deadpool rocks until the final showdown, although that has its moments too (when he spells out Francis... lol). Tell me you at least laughed, bosk!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1146 on: March 09, 2018, 01:44:56 AM »
....alright.

So apparently Thanos will have very different motivation for the Infinity War movie. I'll put it in small print in case anyone considers it a spoiler.

So apparently instead of wanting to impress lady death, he wants to kill half the universe to save the other half for some reason.

I am fine with that.

If done right, it can make for a much more interesting villain in my opinion, possibly with an ethical dilemma for both the heroes and Thanos? I never liked the plot of Thanos wanting to impress the personification of death, which also would be hard to translate to film and introduce as a concept now. Usually the villains that stick the  most with audiences have something to say or at least a somewhat relatable origin/purpose.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1147 on: March 09, 2018, 04:52:04 AM »
Hmm the first 3 episodes of JJ2 have been a real slog, hope it improves.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: March 09, 2018, 05:55:06 AM »
Hmm the first 3 episodes of JJ2 have been a real slog, hope it improves.

Really? Wow, I've thought they were great. A nice mystery that is relevant to our hero herself. Good acting. Each episode is chock full of excellently snide comments from Jessica, which crack me up. A very human and nasty antagonist in Chen. I'm happy so far.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1149 on: March 09, 2018, 06:29:27 AM »
....alright.

I am fine with that.

If done right, it can make for a much more interesting villain in my opinion, possibly with an ethical dilemma for both the heroes and Thanos? I never liked the plot of Thanos wanting to impress the personification of death, which also would be hard to translate to film and introduce as a concept now. Usually the villains that stick the  most with audiences have something to say or at least a somewhat relatable origin/purpose.

I'm fine with it too.  His motivation in the comics seems somewhat shallow, and as we know, character depth makes for a good (or bad when there is lack of it) villain.  The worst villains had very shallow purpose to their villainous plans (Vanko, Malekith, Killian etc...)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: March 09, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
....alright.

I am fine with that.

I'm fine with it too.  His motivation in the comics seems somewhat shallow, and as we know, character depth makes for a good (or bad when there is lack of it) villain.  The worst villains had very shallow purpose to their villainous plans (Vanko, Malekith, Killian etc...)

Also, I think it's consistent with the comics in that this was his original motivation when Thanos was first conceived. The other (more famous) motivation came later in his history (if I remember correctly).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: March 09, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
He also gets mad at the drop of a hat in the comics.

"Oh, my love, do you see what I have done for you? I have- ... she's walking away! NO! WHAT IS IT YOU DESIRE?!
I HAVE OBLITERATED PLANETS AND BENT THE COSMOS FOR YOU!!! "

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1152 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
Well, yeah.  But if we're all being honest, can any of us say with a straight face that we haven't said those exact words to some chick and some point in time?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1153 on: March 09, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
At Ep7 of S2, enjoying it though not as much as S1, I think it's just missing that epic villain, though they could never outdo Killgrave, he was just too perfect. One thing I will admit to is Jessica is the master of the bitter alcoholic one liners, she drops a few every episode and they're all just perfect.

Edit- Just finished Ep7...outstanding episode, really hit that gritty vibe that makes the Netflix Marvel brand stand out for me from the rest of their output. So well done.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:09:53 PM by lonestar »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1154 on: March 10, 2018, 07:51:12 AM »
Just saw Black Panther. Wow. Need to see it again. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....