Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251053 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1050 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
Jingle kids and I are doing that now. We're up to GOTG, and going to watch both of them back-to-back for continuity. I have to figure out where to move Dr Strange - before Civile War, or after Spidey.

Definitely after Civil War, I guess it doesn't really matter is relates to Spidey.

Ohhh I see what you mean. I'd say after Spidey then since it ends with that Thor scene.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1051 on: February 21, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
Right.. as you ascertained, I was more referring to the need of watching Civil War/Spidey back-to-back. And given a quick perusal of the link Bosky provided, I'm inclined to watch it after Spidey.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1052 on: February 21, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »
Jingle kids and I are doing that now. We're up to GOTG, and going to watch both of them back-to-back for continuity. I have to figure out where to move Dr Strange - before Civile War, or after Spidey.

Yeah, I would treat the pre-crash/magic part of the movie as "prologue" with the focus of the film being on the Strange/Kaecilius conflict, and insert it after Spidey.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1053 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:43 PM »
I would also, if you ever do a big rewatch before Avengers 4, maybe even do Thor after Black Panther and before Infinity War.

So Civil War-Spidey-Strange-Black Panther-Thor-Infinity war

Or even Strange after Black Panther too.

Hmmm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1054 on: February 21, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »
I own every DVD.  I can't imagine the time I'd have to put in to watch every film.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1055 on: February 21, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
The wife and I have been inserting the films in the proper sequence as we go through Agents of Shield. It’s been a total blast!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1056 on: February 21, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »
The wife and I have been inserting the films in the proper sequence as we go through Agents of Shield. It’s been a total blast!

Inserting? Giggity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #1057 on: February 21, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »

Such a good time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1058 on: February 21, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »

Inserting? Giggity.

Netflix and chill....... literally.  :coolio

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
I would also, if you ever do a big rewatch before Avengers 4, maybe even do Thor after Black Panther and before Infinity War.

So Civil War-Spidey-Strange-Black Panther-Thor-Infinity war

Or even Strange after Black Panther too.

Hmmm.

Knowing what we know, I'd agree with Dr. Strange after Spidey & Panther.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1060 on: February 21, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »
Yeah, except that seeing him in Ragnarok where he is Sorcerer Supreme, I want to feel like some more time has passed since his solo film, so I would still probably keep Spidey in between to give it some space.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1061 on: February 21, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »
Yeah, except that seeing him in Ragnarok where he is Sorcerer Supreme, I want to feel like some more time has passed since his solo film, so I would still probably keep Spidey in between to give it some space.

Might as well call you Jon Snow, cause you know nothing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1062 on: February 21, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »
Not sure if this link will work, but I like this timeline best.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Offline Adami

« Reply #1063 on: February 22, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »
Not sure if this link will work, but I like this timeline best.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

It's a good one, but takes a while to sort through since when I do my rewatch, it won't include Shield and it DEFINITELY won't include Inhumans.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1064 on: February 22, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
I would LOVE to go back and rewatch the films in connection with Agents of SHIELD.  But realistically, that is NEVER going to happen.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1065 on: February 22, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »
I would LOVE to go back and rewatch the films in connection with Agents of SHIELD.  But realistically, that is NEVER going to happen.

You and me, 3 week vacation on Fire Island. This is happening.

Jammindude can join if he wants, but he only gets to watch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1066 on: February 22, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
I'm your Huckleberry.  Say when.

On a tangent, do you think they'll ever do anything else with the Mandarin?  I never followed the Iron Man comics or any others where he may have shown up as a character.  But I really liked the character from IM3 (both Trevor and Killian) and the cliffhanger/allusion to the "real" Mandarin in All Hail the King.  I think RJD's Tony Stark is likely going away after Infinity War 2.  Not sure if someone else will take up the mantle of Iron Man afterward and we will get more Iron Man solo films that the Mandarin may show up in, or if would easily work into other characters' solo films, but I hope they tie up that loose end at some point.  Thoughts?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1067 on: February 22, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
I'd be cool either way.

I liked Trevor as a character, but thought it deflated the film's ending from a story point of view.

And Killian was terrible I thought, which is sad since they started off with such potential. But when he turned into a crazy fire dragon monster thing, meh.

In fact, the entire 3rd act of IM was really lame. To me.

I did like the idea of a REAL Mandarin out there. I'd be very happy if they further explored that. What I loved about Vuture and Killmonger was making the bad guys human again. The more fantastical and super the bad guys get, the less relateable they become. So I'd be down with more human villains like Mandarin if they can adapt him well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1068 on: February 22, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »
I'd be cool either way.

I liked Trevor as a character, but thought it deflated the film's ending from a story point of view.

And Killian was terrible I thought, which is sad since they started off with such potential. But when he turned into a crazy fire dragon monster thing, meh.

In fact, the entire 3rd act of IM was really lame. To me.

I did like the idea of a REAL Mandarin out there. I'd be very happy if they further explored that. What I loved about Vuture and Killmonger was making the bad guys human again. The more fantastical and super the bad guys get, the less relateable they become. So I'd be down with more human villains like Mandarin if they can adapt him well.

I get the reaction to the 3rd act of IM3.  I liked it.  A lot.  But I can see how others may not have.  But it was a very RADICAL change of tone that was very abrupt.  That worked for me, but I can see how it might not have for others.

I liked Killian in the context of that film.  But even if he hadn't died, I wouldn't care to see him brought back.  Like you, I really like the idea of the "real" Mardarin.  AND I like Trevor, so having him continue on as part of the Mandarin saga could be cool.  And, relatively speaking, few people out there actually know that he isn't the real Mandarin.  So he could continue to be used as the Mandarin's public face of terror.

As far as the idea of villains being "just human," does that really work for the Mandarin?  I thought he had powers in the books?  Again, I'm not familiar, so I could be wrong.  But I was under the impression he had some sort of mystical powers or something.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1069 on: February 24, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
Pretty bummed right now.   I *FINALLY* got caught up watching Agents of SHIELD on Netflix....well....the first 4 seasons are done anyway.   So, since I have the rest of the day off, I decided to try and crack open Season 5.   On Demand has it............but only episodes 6-12.   That’s right, as far as I can tell, the first 5 episodes cannot be watched anywhere.    What’s the point in offering us everything if you can’t deliver??

>:( :censored

Offline Adami

« Reply #1070 on: February 24, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »
Pretty bummed right now.   I *FINALLY* got caught up watching Agents of SHIELD on Netflix....well....the first 4 seasons are done anyway.   So, since I have the rest of the day off, I decided to try and crack open Season 5.   On Demand has it............but only episodes 6-12.   That’s right, as far as I can tell, the first 5 episodes cannot be watched anywhere.    What’s the point in offering us everything if you can’t deliver??

>:( :censored

Get Hulu! I think it's on there. That's how I always watch it.

Though I dunno if they keep them online too long, since I always watch them within the week of airing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1071 on: February 24, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »
FOR PETE’S SAKE!!!   I already have Netflix, Comcast On Demand, and Amazon Prime....how many freakin pay services to I need to freakin have??     For all the claims of having the “freedom” to watch “all the things”, they sure screw you on trying to actually get what they promise..

Offline Adami

« Reply #1072 on: February 24, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
FOR PETE’S SAKE!!!   I already have Netflix, Comcast On Demand, and Amazon Prime....how many freakin pay services to I need to freakin have??     For all the claims of having the “freedom” to watch “all the things”, they sure screw you on trying to actually get what they promise..

Get rid of Comcast on Demand bruh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1073 on: February 24, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
Just wait until it shows up on Netflix.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1074 on: February 24, 2018, 03:20:48 PM »

There's no satellite where I'm at (no line of sight through the tree line around my housing development) and Comcast is the only other option.  I'm not ready to go strictly streaming yet. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1075 on: February 24, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »

There's no satellite where I'm at (no line of sight through the tree line around my housing development) and Comcast is the only other option.  I'm not ready to go strictly streaming yet.

I have Comcast for internet and subscribe to Playstation Vue for my tv package.  It has all of my local affiliates, so I get ABC and can DVR the episodes when they air.  You could look into PS Vue or Sling.  Vue has worked incredibly well for me, with only a few downsides.

You could always read the Wikipedia summaries of the first 5 episodes and then watch the rest if you're in a big hurry.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1076 on: February 26, 2018, 08:01:02 AM »
Saw Black Panther over the weekend.  I liked it a lot.  But I didn't love it.  Overall, I felt like it was "just another Marvel movie," which is to say that it was entertaining and very good in most respects, but not great.  And that's fine.  And to hold it to any higher standard is perhaps a bit unfair.  But at the same time, I also felt like the movie tried to be more than just the typical Marvel film, so I kind of can't help but hold it to a slightly higher standard.  It's hard to take the movie at just face value when it is aspiring to be something more.

**********SPOILERS BELOW************

What didn't work, or didn't work as well as I hoped:

-Killmonger:  He was a pretty solid villain.  But from some of the things I had heard, I expected more.  He was an extremist, a Black nationalist, and the product of his father being killed in what he clearly sees as a murder, and his killer, a flawed hero, wants to see as something more justified.  That alone makes for a pretty good character.  But for someone supposedly as calculating and longsuffering to achieve the long-term goal as he was supposed to be, he also came across as brash and making poor decisions at times, which didn't seem to fit.  I felt like he also knew far too much about the intimate details of the inner workings of Wakanda.  This would have been fine if he had had his father with him later in life.  But he didn't.  And his father wouldn't have told him so much at such a young age.  His big plan also seemed a bit too far-fetched in how it was executed.  Him taking over the throne was fine.  But his grander plot to arm insurgents all over the globe and instantly make Wakanda a super power seemed too over the top and not well-planned. 

Some of the other character motivations also seemed lame and unconvincing as well.  For example, W'Kabi's flip to the "dark side" was too extreme.  His motivations were obviously on display, and were ultimately somewhat noble.  But the execution and the extremes he went to just didn't feel convincing.

Another example is M'Baku deciding to send his army.  I mean, I think everyone over the age of 10 in that theater knew after the scene at the Jarabi mountain stronghold that M'Baku was going to bring his army in at the 11th hour to turn the tide and help save the day.  But, especially for a movie that tried so hard to have such a huge social conscience, that whole sequence seemed like a missed opportunity that needed more.  There wasn't enough for me to see any inner conflict in M'Baku sufficient to send his men in.  It could have been so much better of T'Challa would have gone just a bit further in that dialog and said something like, "I have been wrong, and the kings before me have been wrong.  I do not represent my tribe.  I do not represent the four united tribes.  I represent all of us.  We need your voice and the voice of the Jabari as well.  You deserve a place at the table as equals.  Come down from your mountain stronghold and assume your rightful place as equals."  Or something like that.  Instead, it just kinda came across as, "a REALLY bad dude has taken the throne and everything that comes with it, and if you don't help me, he'll come for you next."  That's all well and good, but I just wanted, well, more.

The action sequences also looked a bit TOO video-gamish at times.  This USUALLY doesn't bother me.  But it is distracting when it takes me out of the moment, which happened here a couple of times.

That said, I come back to the fact that I still enjoyed the film.  Overall, it was well done.  I enjoyed that it had a conscience, more than most of the other Marvel films, and the message it tried to develop.  The sets, and just about everything else about the movie, were stunning and just flat out gorgeous.  There was such beauty in the way everything was constructed, including the characters themselves.  And it felt really authentic.  I was feeling early '90s Oakland (which I am intimately familiar with).  I was feeling Korea (although it took some serious suspension of belief to go along with the idea of the only three Black people in an exclusively Asian club in Asia being able to maintain anything resembling a low profile).  I was feeling Wakanda.  And I loved all of that.  The story itself was also pretty good (although, again, the execution of Killmonger's bigger plan felt too overblown and Bond supervillain-esque).  Overall, good film.  I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:14:17 AM by bosk1 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: February 26, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »
^ Agree with all of that except for the 'too video-gamish' aspect.  Perhaps that's because I also watch Justice League for the first time on the same weekend.   :facepalm:

Despite all of that, I still put it top 5 in the MCU.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1078 on: February 26, 2018, 08:11:20 AM »
I felt pretty much exactly the same as you Bosk, with all the same criticisms. I was a little disappointed with it, but only because of the crazy hype it was getting. It was definitely one of the top handful of MCU movies though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1079 on: February 26, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »
I also meant to say that one of the best aspects of the film was T'Challa's own personal hero's journey and his resulting break from the past.  That was outstanding.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1080 on: February 26, 2018, 08:12:04 AM »
I think one issue with BP that sums up a lot of these complaints (minus the video game stuff, which I agree) is that BP should have been two films.

One film about Klaue and setting up T'Challah as the king, and the 2nd film about Kilmonger and his whole plot.

Actually, they could have pulled a Superman I/II and kept the same introduction scene and then brought Kilmonger back for the sequel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: February 26, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
One film about Klaue and setting up T'Challah as the king, and the 2nd film about Kilmonger and his whole plot.

Which would've gotten us a lot more Andy Serkis!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1082 on: February 26, 2018, 08:46:35 AM »
That could have been really cool.  But I think two Black Panther films might have been a tough sell to the public at large, at least at this stage.  Of course, with the film now having blown up and done extremely well, I think it's easy to assume in hindsight that it would have worked.  But I'm not so sure. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #1083 on: February 26, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
That could have been really cool.  But I think two Black Panther films might have been a tough sell to the public at large, at least at this stage.  Of course, with the film now having blown up and done extremely well, I think it's easy to assume in hindsight that it would have worked.  But I'm not so sure.

Totally. Pretty much a catch 22, especially since Michael B. Jordan and his whole arc was a major selling point for the movie. Doubt it'd be doing such numbers if it had just been the Klauewsaweww story.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1084 on: February 26, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
I will also say that I get how hard it is to tell a story on screen when you have so many moving parts and so many segments of an audience you are trying to appeal to.  Maybe that is an argument that the Marvel films now have set a standard for biting off more than they can chew in terms of the amount of content crammed into single films.  But it is what it is at this point.  We can't expect that to change.  It's yet another catch 22 scenario where having too much DOES often detract, but they NEED all that content to meet certain expectations or their film won't sell or will be deemed even more of a failure for not including certain things.  I would be willing to bet that a lot of my "issues" with the film were discussed at some point, and a good many of those may have even had more exposition on film that just ended up on the cutting room floor.