Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270740 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1645 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
DS9 bro.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1646 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
DS9 bro.

So I'm thinking we reboot DS9. Bring back ALL of the actors and all of the characters, but...and here's the catch....they're doing voice work.

Why? Because all of their characters will be transformers.

Sisco can transform into a self-playing piano
Quark can transform into an ATM
Kira can transformer into a bloody tampon
Odo can.....well, he'd be the same character basically.

LET'S DO THIS!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1647 on: March 13, 2018, 02:20:54 AM »
DS9 bro.

So I'm thinking we reboot DS9. Bring back ALL of the actors and all of the characters, but...and here's the catch....they're doing voice work.

Why? Because all of their characters will be transformers.

Sisco can transform into a self-playing piano
Quark can transform into an ATM
Kira can transformer into a bloody tampon
Odo can.....well, he'd be the same character basically.

LET'S DO THIS!

Feels like an alcohol fueled post  ;D
But why not...

Dax can transform into tyre (already has the tread pattern).
Keiko can transform into a Boxing Glove, so....
....Miles can transform into a Punch Bag
Bashir can transform into a Cake (then eat himself).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1648 on: March 13, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
Why was shades of grey bad? I don't remember? TNG was definitely weak in its infancy but look how awesome it became! Discovery got better quickly but seemed like the end was a finale for an experiment. Is Lorca really dead? He was great for the show.
It was a clip show. They didn't have any money left, so rather than a proper season finale we got 10 minutes of new footage and 35 worth of flashbacks.

Winding down TNG season 5 and I'm getting kind of bummed that my run through TNG is coming to close altogether. I forgot how great the show shines.
Just wait and see how bad season 7 is. They should have known to wrap it up after 6. There just weren't any ideas left.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1649 on: March 13, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Really? Season 7 was great! Phantasms was awesome. I'll be having a cellular peptide cake for my birthday...delicious

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1650 on: March 13, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
With mint icing?

Online Adami

« Reply #1651 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:26 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1652 on: March 14, 2018, 04:01:24 AM »
lol we went to hibachi and took this pic a few months ago

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1653 on: March 20, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »
Winding down TNG season 5 and I'm getting kind of bummed that my run through TNG is coming to close altogether. I forgot how great the show shines.

I envy you for having the disposable time to do this.  I'd love to re-watch this - and other shows from that era.  Maybe when I'm retired - if they're still on Netflix ... or if Netflix still even exists!   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: March 24, 2018, 10:03:07 AM »
I watch a half hour at work and then while I preparing and eating dinner, I typically get two episodes a day done. I love it because I've seen a majority of the episodes but it's been so long they are still fairly new to me.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: March 30, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »
saw this on Fbook.....kind of 'fascinating'

Adam Nimoy, son of the late “Star Trek” icon Leonard Nimoy, and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” actress Terry Farrell married on Monday, March 26th, on what would’ve been Leonard Nimoy’s 87th birthday.

The couple tied the knot in a civil ceremony at City Hall in San Francisco, according to film critic Scott Mantz, who tweeted a photo of the couple on their wedding day. Farrell retweeted Mantz’s photo and wrote, “Freakin AWESOME day!!!!!!! Love ya all! Aka: Mrs. Adam Nimoy.”
She also changed her Twitter bio to include “Mrs. Adam Nimoy.”

This was the second marriage for both Farrell and Nimoy. The 54-year-old actress shares a son with her ex-husband Brian Baker, while the 61-year-old filmmaker shares a son and daughter with his former wife Nancy.

I wonder if any 'live long and prosper' signals were performed during the day.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1656 on: March 30, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
But can a Vulcan and a Trill mate?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: March 30, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
I thought they were already married, but I knew they were together.

But can a Vulcan and a Trill mate?

All humanoid species can mate. Half the fun of space exploration is seeing the wacky results.

Speaking of which, why do we always see half human aliens, but rarely if ever other half species (except maybe half Vulcan / Romulan). I want to see a half Vulan, half Klingon or something. Never mind the circumstances, I just wanna see it. Or half Orion, half Andorian for a funky aqua colour and stumpy antennae.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1658 on: April 01, 2018, 06:55:43 AM »
All humanoid species can mate. Half the fun of space exploration is seeing the wacky results.

Speaking of which, why do we always see half human aliens, but rarely if ever other half species (except maybe half Vulcan / Romulan). I want to see a half Vulan, half Klingon or something. Never mind the circumstances, I just wanna see it. Or half Orion, half Andorian for a funky aqua colour and stumpy antennae.

See, I always though Vulan was a space musical?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: April 01, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
No, the Vulans were a species only shown or mentioned in an obscure deleted scene from an episode of DS9. You wouldn't have seen it.... 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1660 on: April 06, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
I don't know if he's legit facepalming, but i came across this marriage propasal in front of the cast

Spiner doesn't even flinch  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
He's thinking "dammit, I'm going to have to point and say 'engaged!' again, aren't I?" :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1662 on: April 06, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »
He's thinking "dammit, I'm going to have to point and say 'engaged!' again, aren't I?" :biggrin:
Well done.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1663 on: April 10, 2018, 05:00:36 AM »
Anson Mount been cast as Pike for ST:9 Season 2. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: April 10, 2018, 06:00:29 AM »
I don't know him, but he looks the part, so I have no problem with that choice. I'm however very disappointed that it confirms they'll be continuing that trainwreck of a storyline, and I dread what they're going to do with the Enterprise and Spock etc. Just leave it the hell alone. They're trying to have it both ways.
I wonder if they could get Quinto to play Spock? Nobody can fill Nimoy's shoes, but Quinto has done a good job with the character.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1665 on: April 10, 2018, 06:11:53 AM »
I don't know him, but he looks the part, so I have no problem with that choice. I'm however very disappointed that it confirms they'll be continuing that trainwreck of a storyline, and I dread what they're going to do with the Enterprise and Spock etc. Just leave it the hell alone. They're trying to have it both ways.
I wonder if they could get Quinto to play Spock? Nobody can fill Nimoy's shoes, but Quinto has done a good job with the character.

I think the storyline from season 1 is pretty much finished.  They managed to pretty much kill of Fullers vision (the Klingon war nonsense) for the show, in those final rushed two episodes.   The timeline is always going to be a sore point, but I'm hoping for a better second season (the quality we saw when in the mirror universe episodes consistently would be great).   No second season of this or the Orville till next year though I believe?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1666 on: April 10, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »

LOVED him in ‘Hell on Wheels’. It’ll be interesting to see him go from playing an old West Gun slinger to a Captain of a Space ship  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: April 10, 2018, 06:34:45 AM »

I think the storyline from season 1 is pretty much finished.  They managed to pretty much kill of Fullers vision (the Klingon war nonsense) for the show, in those final rushed two episodes.   The timeline is always going to be a sore point, but I'm hoping for a better second season (the quality we saw when in the mirror universe episodes consistently would be great).   No second season of this or the Orville till next year though I believe?

I meant the trainwreck of tacking in the USS Enterprise in the finale. I was hoping their desperate fan-service wouldn't extend into S2.

The Orville will be later this year, around the same time as S1 was, which they've already started filming.
I haven't heard any information on them starting filming on Discovery S2 yet, and it looks like that will more likely be 2019. Being a streaming show, it will have a looser production schedule than a TV show.

LOVED him in ‘Hell on Wheels’. It’ll be interesting to see him go from playing an old West Gun slinger to a Captain of a Space ship  :lol

I was going to add that he was quite a clean-cut captain too, but that will no doubt change in STD anyway.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1668 on: April 10, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »

I meant the trainwreck of tacking in the USS Enterprise in the finale. I was hoping their desperate fan-service wouldn't extend into S2.

The Orville will be later this year, around the same time as S1 was, which they've already started filming.
I haven't heard any information on them starting filming on Discovery S2 yet, and it looks like that will more likely be 2019. Being a streaming show, it will have a looser production schedule than a TV show.

I was going to add that he was quite a clean-cut captain too, but that will no doubt change in STD anyway.

To be fair the original Pike from 'The Cage' was a dull as dishwater.  Regardless of what anyone thinks about the rest of the JJ universe - Bruce Greenwood was a much better Pike (Bruce tends to be awesome in most things though).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: April 10, 2018, 06:59:19 AM »
Wheelchair Pike >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all other Pikes.

Yeah, Pike in the Cage was dull as shit, but on the upside that gives them enough room to flesh out the character more without clashing. It's not a character people are too attached to. If he's not going to at least be sorta consistent with what we saw in TOS though, then why bother. We don't need another edgy dark character that goes against the spirit of Trek.

Bruce Greenwood was fine, but that character isn't even Pike to me. It's some new character named Pike. Which will probably be the case with STD, as it was when they had a character named Mudd, or a character named Sarek etc.

Online Adami

« Reply #1670 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:50 PM »
So apparently the show runners for Discovery have been fired and replaced with Alex Kurtzman. The man who clearly has dirt on everyone in Hollywood because no matter how bad his stuff is, he is always given work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: June 15, 2018, 12:17:52 AM »
Maybe he just gives the best BJs in Hollywood?

It goes without saying that this development would not fill me with confidence for season 2, although I had none to begin with. :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1672 on: June 15, 2018, 04:55:59 AM »
Season 1 was Ok IMO. Alex Kurtzman is a hack, the slight interest I had for season 2 is gone..

Started watching TNG from netflix a while back, and I'm in season 2 now. Season 2 is pretty good, certainly an improvement over season 1 but I'm super excited to get to season 3. The Measure of a Man is a fantastic episode though! One of my all time favorites. it's very low budget with with most of it happening in the "Court", which is clearly someone's living room that has been given a Sci-Fi treatment. :lol

Still, some of the best performances in the shows history!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1673 on: June 15, 2018, 07:27:04 AM »
Yeah, Measure of a Man is awesome.  I always felt Star Trek was at its best when it made you think.  To me, that's the real meat of sci-fi.  Not the tech, the spaceships and fancy gadgets and weapons, but how our lives are changed by them, how we adapt as a people to deal with them and the changes to our culture which are inevitable.

And then I guess I get turned off again when it goes too far and becomes allegory for "today's issues".  The xenophobia upon meeting a new species which is too obviously a parallel to race relations today, the planet where the political factions seem very similar to our own and are obviously having the same problems.  That kind of thing.  I don't even care how it's resolved; I watch TV for escapism, not political and social commentary.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1674 on: June 15, 2018, 10:28:56 AM »
I suppose they want to avoid the trainwreck that was the first part of the first season by having a proper point man. Switching tracks one month into shooting is generally a pretty bad sign, so that would make sense. At the same time, this will mark the third team (person) to come in, and from what I gather the B team from last season managed to hold things together pretty well.

Will season 2 be a continuation of S1, or are they going to do something different? If the latter a new show runner would make a lot more sense.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: June 15, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »
Will season 2 be a continuation of S1, or are they going to do something different? If the latter a new show runner would make a lot more sense.

S1 wrapped up it's arc very quickly and then tacked on the Enterprise at the end. Since they've announced casting for Captain Pike, I assume that will play a decent part in S2.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1676 on: June 15, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »

S1 wrapped up it's arc very quickly and then tacked on the Enterprise at the end. Since they've announced casting for Captain Pike, I assume that will play a decent part in S2.
That makes more sense, then. The fallback plan had been to do an anthology if STD crashed and burned. It didn't, but that doesn't mean they won't still do it. Another consideration is that much of the cast probably took new job offers when the conventional wisdom was that there would never be a S2. Since we know that Meyer was writing a story for that fallback option, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a complete retooling.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1677 on: June 19, 2018, 11:38:10 PM »
So not only is Kurtzman in charge of STD, but he's now in charge of creating a whole extended universe for ST.

The dude who tried to make a whole Spider-Man franchise and failed. The dude who tried to make the Dark Universe and failed.

I just do not understand giving this man so many opportunities.

Oh, I also finally watched the first episode of Discovery (since it was on a plane) and MAN it was dumb. Just really really really dumb.

I'll be honest. A part of me was actually worried I'd like it. I was worried that I would like something that I reject on principle. I'll admit the production design was cool (minus the Klingons). But the acting was bad. The dialogue was bad. The story was bad. The logic was non-existent. It was just stupid.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: June 20, 2018, 12:31:27 AM »
Those first episodes of Discovery are absolutely fucking atrocious. Admittedly it does improve a bit by the end, but it's too little, too late, and still not worth the time to stick it out imo.
If they want to continue with more Trek, they really need to put someone in charge who actually understands what Trek is about.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1679 on: June 20, 2018, 01:38:10 AM »
So not only is Kurtzman in charge of STD, but he's now in charge of creating a whole extended universe for ST.

The dude who tried to make a whole Spider-Man franchise and failed. The dude who tried to make the Dark Universe and failed.

I just do not understand giving this man so many opportunities.

His resume should speak for itself. This is one giant stupid decision!