Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 274155 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1190 on: July 30, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »
Always hated PS. It's not that it was bad, but it just never sat right with me. WoaE is a great concept and a pretty god episode. VOY would go on to do it much better, but the original is still quite entertaining.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1191 on: July 30, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »
Besides the obvious scene, Plato's Children was fairly forgettable to me, like many of the other lesser S3 episodes. I enjoyed Wink of an Eye, although again it's not a standout.
If you're referring to the Voyager episode Blink of an Eye, that's among my favourites. :tup
Still some really good episodes left in S3 to get to though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: July 31, 2017, 04:59:18 AM »
Yea season 3 seems to be the weakest by far, I'm hardly paying attention. You're favorite episode is next though blob

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: August 07, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »
Finishing up "The Way To Eden" and all I can say is fuck those space hippies

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1194 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
Yeah, but they got to jam with Spock.  That's pretty cool.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: August 07, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »
Season 3 has a lot of clunkers, I was really into season 1 & 2 but I'm forcing myself to get through 3.

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »
Well that was a whole load of BS. :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1198 on: August 08, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
“One of the first things he ever pitched was his aesthetic for the Klingons and how important it was that they be aesthete,” said executive producer Aaron Harberts. “That they not be the thugs of the universe, that they be sexy and vital and different from what had come before.”

So why didn't he just make a new fucking series? Or better yet, make them the Clingots. A different race 3 systems down from the Klingons. 

"I think the Vulcans should be reptilian now. That'd look really neat!"

Although the franchise is staying strong with its theatrical film releases, it won’t be in the same vein as the new show. So the Klingons are free to look different in the movies from how they will look in the TV series.

This will probably help fans not to assume they are in the same universe.
So, in order to keep people from being confused that the new series is part of the JJ universe, they decided to create a third universe. Yeah, that makes sense.

I have a great interest in this show. I'm very interested in seeing it fail miserably. The best case scenario is that it doesn't even last a full season and we can forget the whole thing ever happened.

edit: And what ever happened to KTB? This thread's not the same without him arguing every point with me. Especially when we actually agree.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1199 on: August 08, 2017, 12:02:48 PM »
I feel like the people behind this show aren't aware that Star Trek existed before 2009.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: August 08, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »
So, in order to keep people from being confused that the new series is part of the JJ universe, they decided to create a third universe. Yeah, that makes sense.

In order to keep people from being confused that the new series is part of the JJ universe, they decided to entirely copy the style of the JJ universe rather than stick the the aesthetic of the prime universe they're claiming it's set in. Seems legit. These are very close to JJ Klingons, but barely resemble anything that was ever shown on TV.

People mention that the look of the Klingons changed from TOS to TMP as justification, but to me there's a huge difference between changing the look of aliens from an old TV show that ran for 3 seasons with limited budget and resources, and a TV show changing the look of aliens after 600+ episodes from 4 different series and 10 films over the span of almost 40 years portraying them pretty consistently a particular way.
I would have even been fine with them making them look like the TNG> era despite them appearing very differently in TOS, but you don't just change them because you feel like it when the show is set so close to TOS.

I feel like the people behind this show aren't aware that Star Trek existed before 2009.

That's definitely the feeling I get from the show, at least visually. The new phaser, communicator, and tricorder props are actually very well done, but everything else is unrecognizable.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
Finally finished TOS. There are some great episodes in the first two seasons but things really slowed down in the third. I don't know if I was just getting bored of the series or if the writing wasn't that great.

Time to start with seasons 2 of TNG.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1202 on: August 12, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
Finally finished TOS. There are some great episodes in the first two seasons but things really slowed down in the third. I don't know if I was just getting bored of the series or if the writing wasn't that great.

Time to start with seasons 2 of TNG.
I always found it to be just a cut below the first two, but not by much. Every season of every ST series has standouts and stinkers. While S3 might have more stinkers it's still got plenty of standouts.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: August 31, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
Against my better judgement, for the sake of self promotion I submit for your viewing a new Youtube video I made about Captain Kirk. I expect it will be dissected in typical DTF fashion. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3jmxX8CIjI

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1204 on: August 31, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »
Yes!!  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1205 on: August 31, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »
Against my better judgement, for the sake of self promotion I submit for your viewing a new Youtube video I made about Captain Kirk. I expect it will be dissected in typical DTF fashion. :lol

:tup
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1206 on: August 31, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »

Suddenly, it all makes sense!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1207 on: August 31, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
IT,

IS,

GLORIOUS!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #1208 on: August 31, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »

I offer my body to you for any sexual activity you may imagine.

Or conversely, I can simply serve you butter and live the rest of my life in existential dread.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:28:32 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1209 on: August 31, 2017, 10:25:47 PM »
Have my babies blob.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: September 01, 2017, 05:31:44 AM »
I offer my body to you for any sexual activity you may imagine.

I choose oo-mox.

Have my babies blob.

I would if I could bebe. :zydar:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1211 on: September 01, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
So Blob has officially become Riker because chicks are throwing themselves at him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1212 on: September 09, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »
Some interesting, albeit somewhat dated information about Discovery. Theses were produced in May and June, but it's a ton of stuff I wasn't aware of, largely about the corporate stuff that's causing the show to fall apart. Seems that STD is produced under Bad Robot's license. It therefore can not have any look or feel of the prime universe, still overseen by CBS. This goes right down to the style of the shirts they wear. CBS lucked into a deal where Bad Robot makes the show and Netflix picks up the tab, so they have absolutely nothing to lose. Netflix, on the other hand, might up and sue them if it turns out to be the disaster people are expecting. That would be priceless. Personally, I'm hoping that it doesn't even make it through the first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I3y3_QmBsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1213 on: September 09, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »
 :facepalm:

Though this does finally explain why the Klingons look nothing at all like Klingons.

Is this even an actual Star Trek show? I have no idea how the rights work, but how can it be an official Star Trek show without being allowed to resemble Star Trek?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1214 on: September 09, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »
I've began to wonder if the entire franchise should be abandoned by both the fan base, and the production companies alike. It doesn't appear that any of the production companies are willing to honor the defining spirit that established the show, and the fan base is never going to be satisfied with the watered-down product that their going to receive. It might be time to put a nail in the coffin lid, and call it a day.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1215 on: September 09, 2017, 09:24:22 PM »
I've began to wonder if the entire franchise should be abandoned by both the fan base, and the production companies alike. It doesn't appear that any of the production companies are willing to honor the defining spirit that established the show, and the fan base is never going to be satisfied with the watered-down product that their going to receive. It might be time to put a nail in the coffin lid, and call it a day.

I'd be okay with that. For now, but hopefully not forever. One day we might get to a point where sci-fi isn't defined soley by melodrama, fight/chases, and explosions in space. On that day, I hope whomever has the actual rights to Star Trek prime universe or whatever decides to make a proper ST show in the future.

Two options I'd be okay with.

1. Proper ST that takes place X number of years after Nemesis. Hell, if you do it right and not too late in the game, you can get a good number of aged actors in cameo roles.

2. A super prequel. I want a show about Zefram Cochrane getting crazy drunk in a bar after a nuclear fall out. Have the show end right as he comes up with the idea for warp speed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1216 on: September 09, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »
Option number one would make me a happy boy. I'm honestly confused why it's never happened.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1217 on: September 09, 2017, 09:35:12 PM »
Option number one would make me a happy boy. I'm honestly confused why it's never happened.

Because ST has a niche audience. They can't make as much money on a true ST show as they can as the action/melodrama in space that they've been making since 2009.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1218 on: September 09, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »

Because ST has a niche audience. They can't make as much money on a true ST show as they can as the action/melodrama in space that they've been making since 2009.

Oh yeah, I know that they want a block-buster, or they don't think that it's worth it. It's the same mentality that turned most forms of music into a steaming pile of shit the last 30 years as well.

I'm either getting old, or jaded. Most likely both  :-\

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1219 on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:00 AM »
:facepalm:

Though this does finally explain why the Klingons look nothing at all like Klingons.

Is this even an actual Star Trek show? I have no idea how the rights work, but how can it be an official Star Trek show without being allowed to resemble Star Trek?
It's proper ST as much as the JJ movies were. It's created under the same license, and the Bad Robot movies had the same restrictions. The whole thing's pretty screwy. The result of mergers and spin-offs between Paramount, Viacom, and CBS. CBS owns all of the IP, save for the ten movies which belong to Paramount. Bad Robot operates under a special licensing agreement where they get to use much of the IP but have to keep away from the shows already produced. This is what STD is trying to do, but they've opted to reboot the entire thing, yet again.

On the bright side, word around the campfire is that Nick Meyers is working on a proper prime universe ST series as a contingency for when this one tanks. Theory goes that this one gets promptly canceled, CBS then says that STD is an anthology series with each season unrelated to the last, and here comes season 2 produced by Meyers.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: September 10, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »
I heard about the whole licensing issue a little while ago, but at this point, none of it makes a difference to me. The show has been a lost cause since almost the start, and I'll never consider this a legit prime universe show. They wouldn't have had half of these issues if they'd just set the thing post-Nemesis, but they obviously wanted to mooch off the name recognition of TOS and the recent movies. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too, and ended up in a position worse than ENT ever was.
I'll be watching the show either way, but they're not getting a cent from me for it, and I pray it gets mercy killed as quickly as possible.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1221 on: September 10, 2017, 12:39:41 AM »
The show will probably do fine. Fans of the new stuff will love it. Old fans will watch it just to spite it.

Ratings will mix from worst thing ever to amazing and brilliant. They'll make plenty of money and keep things going.

I doubt it'll get the ax.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: September 10, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »
The show will probably do fine. Fans of the new stuff will love it. Old fans will watch it just to spite it.

Ratings will mix from worst thing ever to amazing and brilliant. They'll make plenty of money and keep things going.

I doubt it'll get the ax.

Under normal circumstances, I think you'd be right, but given that in the US it's only on CBS' own streaming service, I don't know. I think modern fans will be too casual to pay just for a Trek series, and a lot of hardcore fans won't want to pay for an abomination. Maybe the Netflix deal for the rest of the world will save it, I don't know how it works out.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1223 on: September 10, 2017, 12:46:46 AM »
If anything kills this show, it'll be the streaming deal.

Though I'm confident they'll fix that somehow. The rest of the show won't have any negative impact.

Hell, Iron Fist is getting a 2nd season.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: September 10, 2017, 01:03:20 AM »
As I said, I don't really know how the whole thing works when it's only streaming. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic that they'll let it die. :lol
I don't even know what Iron Fist is, but I assume it was bad.