Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 274618 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #980 on: April 07, 2017, 09:32:01 AM »
Meh I've seen it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: April 07, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
Enterprise episode with Emory whats his name ... Man what a shit actor :lolpalm: just dreadful.

Seriously. His acting was like a 7 year old in the school play.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #982 on: April 07, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
Watching a TOS episode on BBC America called "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield". The one with the black/white aliens. One of the aliens takes control of the ship, and they start traveling at warp 10+ speeds. I remember an episode of VOY where Tom Paris manages to travel over warp 10, and they refer to it as the warp 10 barrier like nobody had ever exceeded it.

I know that a few of you guys are way more familiar with all of the TOS episodes than I am. Is there a lot of things that were ignored in the later series from TOS?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #983 on: April 08, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
Watching a TOS episode on BBC America called "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield". The one with the black/white aliens. One of the aliens takes control of the ship, and they start traveling at warp 10+ speeds. I remember an episode of VOY where Tom Paris manages to travel over warp 10, and they refer to it as the warp 10 barrier like nobody had ever exceeded it.

I know that a few of you guys are way more familiar with all of the TOS episodes than I am. Is there a lot of things that were ignored in the later series from TOS?

The canon explanation is that the warp scale changed between TOS and TNG. TOS warp speeds didn't have a lot of consistency (like many things in TOS), so for TNG they came up with a proper concept for the warp scale and stuck to it for all later shows (which probably included Enterprise even though it was pre-TOS).
There are several other little things that were ignored or ret-conned in later shows for whatever reason. For example, according to Space Seed, WW3 took place in the 1990s. You can't expect a short lived 1960s scifi show to hold up perfectly when you're building a whole universe off of it decades later, so it's understandable.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #984 on: April 08, 2017, 12:29:49 AM »
You can't expect a short lived 1960s scifi show to hold up perfectly when you're building a whole universe off of it decades later, so it's understandable.

Perfectly understandable. I completely agree. Thanks for the knowledge.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: April 08, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
Watching through ToS now it's crazy someone the things they changed for he later seasons. It's perfectly understandable why.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: April 11, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »
Nearly finished with Enterprise.

I really enjoyed Season 3 on the whole but as an entire series - it's pretty dull and unexciting.

I can see why it was cancelled. It's just blah.. with one or two really good episodes.

Shame.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #987 on: April 11, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »

I really enjoyed Season 3 on the whole but as an entire series - it's pretty dull and unexciting.

I can see why it was cancelled. It's just blah.. with one or two really good episodes.

Shame.

I actually liked Enterprise, although I do agree that it's the most 'dull' of the Star Trek shows. It's been some time since I've seen the series so I can't recall 'specific' episodes....but I'd say there were more than one or two good ones. But the series did suffer from a lack of excitement as you mentioned.

Oh and....Jolene Blaylock  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #988 on: April 11, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
Oh there are way more than a few good ones.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: April 11, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
It's nominally a science fiction show but i'd say that most of the episodes are about politics and diplomacy.

I can remember like one or two that dealt with sci fi stuff.

HOWEVER - the main cast are all pretty good. Travis does fall into the Voyager cardboard cutout mould a bit but Trip, Malcolm, Phlox, T'Pol. All good. And Scott Bakula is a fine actor

who plays the role very well. Imposing when he needs to be and also a model starship captain when he needs to be.

Online Adami

« Reply #990 on: April 11, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Yea, but that's Star Trek. It's always dealt with politics, diplomacy and social commentary with some hard sci-fi stuff thrown in.

There's probably only a handful of episodes of TNG or DS9 that were hard sci fi too.

And yea, the actors were mostly good. They just weren't given a ton to work with until the 3rd season.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: April 11, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
Yea, but that's Star Trek. It's always dealt with politics, diplomacy and social commentary with some hard sci-fi stuff thrown in.

There's probably only a handful of episodes of TNG or DS9 that were hard sci fi too.

I guess I want more episodes like " Where Silence Has Lease " . Where the rules of physics are all out the window.

Online Adami

« Reply #992 on: April 11, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »

I guess I want more episodes like " Where Silence Has Lease " . Where the rules of physics are all out the window.

Totally. Oddly enough, I think if you want more weird crazy sci-fi stuff these days, you'll have to look toward a show like Rick & Morty (which I do love).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: April 11, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
I should check it out since it's based on Back To The Future - my #1 film of all time.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #994 on: April 11, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
Oh and....Jolene Blaylock  :tup
I've posted this here before, but for your benefit. .  . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-3t4whoRA&t=23s
It's amazing to see how insipid this girl really is after seeing her as T'Pol for all of these years. It's also a testament to why people do X.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #995 on: April 11, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
I should check it out since it's based on Back To The Future - my #1 film of all time.

Well, aside from the characters names and some basic stuff, like Rick being an older crazy scientist and Morty being a younger kid, there's...........nothing in common. Maybe if Doc and Marty took a TON of LSD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #996 on: April 11, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »

Shame.
Yeah, they never really did find their way. I personally liked the first couple of seasons, but yeah, it could definitely be slow. They tried to ratchet things up with Season 3, and it moved further away from ST. Then they just said fuck'it and started revisiting past episodes all the time. I don't honestly know what their best approach was. Season 3 certainly had the best episodes, but it had the worst, as well. Season 4 was just silly. The first two were probably the most consistent.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: April 11, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
It felt earned though and a relief when Soval and Vulcans in general stopped being a massive pain.

Shran is an awesome character though and Phlox is easily the best character.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #998 on: April 12, 2017, 03:36:47 AM »
I'm a pretty big ST fan.  I've seen nearly all the episodes of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager - but I just couldn't handle Enterprise.  Maybe it was because I was burnt out by Voyager - which I watched but never really enjoyed that much.   I watched maybe the first 10 or so episodes of Enterprise and it just wasn't hooking me in, I've seen the odd episode here and there since but it does nothing for me.   I've considered trying again as the whole thing is on UK netflix now - just for completion sake......but I'm not sure I can be arsed.   Maybe if ST : Discovery reignites my love for the franchise I'll feel more inclined.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: April 12, 2017, 03:39:31 AM »
I have a feeling Discovery is going to make Enterprise look like a classic by comparison, if anything. :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: April 12, 2017, 04:47:14 AM »
I have a feeling Discovery is going to make Enterprise look like a classic by comparison, if anything. :lol

I fear that you are right

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: April 12, 2017, 10:19:04 AM »
House of cards - in space.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1002 on: April 12, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
I've been thinking more like The Wire.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1003 on: April 12, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
House of cards - in space.
That sounds better than what I fear to be the case.

I've been thinking more like The Wire.
That sounds better still.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1004 on: April 12, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
And neither sound even remotely like Star Trek.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1005 on: April 12, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
And neither sound even remotely like Star Trek.
I agree, but they sound at least interesting, which I don't think this new show will be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: April 13, 2017, 04:49:06 AM »
The Mirror Universe two parter was pretty boring.

I know Blob will say it was just an excuse to get Archer in the TOS garb and be on the original Enterprise and I agree.

That all felt so shoved in.

However it was nice to see the original ship shot in ways they couldn't do on TOS. Especially in flight and firing weapons.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: April 13, 2017, 04:52:22 AM »
The Mirror universe two parter is the only redeeming thing about S4 of Enterprise imo. Yeah, the story is a bit of a contrived way to get nostalgic, but the whole season stinks of that, and at least this was half entertaining.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: April 13, 2017, 04:53:50 AM »
S4 so far is a massive drop off in quality from the entire S3 which was mostly engaging.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: April 13, 2017, 04:55:52 AM »
As you may remember, I'm not much of a fan of S4 either, although a lot of Enterprise fans regard it as the best.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: April 13, 2017, 04:59:46 AM »
I actually prefer story of the week shows - so wasn't looking forward to an entire Xindi season but it was really engaging and engrossing and because I watched like 10 episodes

a day - immersive too.

But yeah S4 is just like bad Voyager episodes. I'm only watching it just to get through it and I've already seen the finale before...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: April 13, 2017, 05:02:11 AM »
S4 isn't like Voyager imo. S1 and 2 were much more Voyager rehash.
I think S3 had a pretty good balance of season arc, along with each episode having their individual story. I like a good blend, where an episode can stand on its own, but also serve the greater whole.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1012 on: April 13, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »
S3 for me was the best season.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1013 on: April 13, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
Fav 'outsider' struggling with humanity character?  Spock, Data, Odo or Seven? (could include EMH/Doctor & T'Pol too I guess).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: April 13, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
Spock.

Nimoy pretty much invented Vulcans and nobody has been able to do it the same... Except maybe Tim Russ and Mark Lenard.