Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270907 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #770 on: March 06, 2017, 05:56:58 AM »
Fine it's Barto's job :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #771 on: March 06, 2017, 06:09:12 AM »
I'll leave it to Barto to defend himself. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: March 06, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
Just got through "The Deadly Years"; great episode! Season 2 is shaping up to be a lot better than the first. It was a lot of fun seeing the crew as old men.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #773 on: March 06, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
I meant when we the viewers see two ships side by side and they go

" 500 km and closing "

If it was 500 km away then why are they clearly side by side ??
This is why we should all be using kellicams.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #774 on: March 06, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
Nah, no point. I'm a big ST fan of many years, so obviously I like the thing. But for some reason KTB sees any criticism as dumping on the entire existence of the franchise.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #775 on: March 06, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »
Just got through "The Deadly Years"; great episode! Season 2 is shaping up to be a lot better than the first. It was a lot of fun seeing the crew as old men.
It's strange. Since I grew up watching TOS I mainly saw it randomized in syndication. And since very little ever changed chronologically I mostly can't tell one season from another. The presence of Rand or Chekhov is a giveaway, and Kirk's wraparound tunic, but that's about it. The younger folk are much more accustomed to watching things chronologically. So it always amuses me to hear that one season is better than another. Not questioning your opinion, mind you. You've seen more episodes you liked in S2 than S1. I get it. I've just never been able to picture TOS as seasonal. It's just 72 episodes to me.

And Deadly Years is alright. Most of the episodes with butthead bureaucrats are pretty good, and he was as buttheaded as they come. And I liked the old and even crankier McCoy. What I didn't like was that they just happened to have Kirk's old girlfriend on board who just happened to be an expert geriatrician at the same time Kirk just happened to become 90 years old. And her presence just seemed completely unnecessary.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: March 06, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
It's strange. Since I grew up watching TOS I mainly saw it randomized in syndication. And since very little ever changed chronologically I mostly can't tell one season from another. The presence of Rand or Chekhov is a giveaway, and Kirk's wraparound tunic, but that's about it. The younger folk are much more accustomed to watching things chronologically. So it always amuses me to hear that one season is better than another. Not questioning your opinion, mind you. You've seen more episodes you liked in S2 than S1. I get it. I've just never been able to picture TOS as seasonal. It's just 72 episodes to me.

Aside from the first half of S1 when they were still finding their feet and style, I agree. I do think the hit rate was a bit lower in S3 overall, and didn't have classic after classic like earlier seasons, but it wasn't because of any clear difference in style that I can differentiate one season from another. And of course now I just remember what season a lot of episodes are from anyway. Incidentally, I didn't watch it chronologically either, because it doesn't really require it. I watched the episodes that were highly regarded first to help me appreciate it and get into it, then dug into the rest in loose order after that.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #777 on: March 06, 2017, 11:53:35 PM »
Much like EB, I grew up with the show in syndication and I have no concept of seasons for TOS. I've never been able to tell the difference between seasons, and I can't think of anything (story-wise) that would really require them to be separated in mind.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: March 07, 2017, 12:01:52 AM »
There's definitely no plot reason to watch them in order. There are some differences with cast (Rand, Chekov), but there were differences of cast even within that, including Sulu and Uhura having absences here and there. No big deal. And the other minor differences in uniforms and sets are fairly trivial. Most people wouldn't even notice it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: March 07, 2017, 03:23:58 AM »
Nah, no point. I'm a big ST fan of many years, so obviously I like the thing. But for some reason KTB sees any criticism as dumping on the entire existence of the franchise.

It's mainly that I never notice you praising an episode or film. It's nearly always picking holes in them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: March 07, 2017, 03:26:09 AM »
There's definitely no plot reason to watch them in order. There are some differences with cast (Rand, Chekov), but there were differences of cast even within that, including Sulu and Uhura having absences here and there. No big deal. And the other minor differences in uniforms and sets are fairly trivial. Most people wouldn't even notice it.

I just watched Relics again and noticed that Deanna is not in the entire episode save for the final minute just to say bye to Scotty.

Also - timeline wise It must have been after Generations ( but filmed 2 years prior )  and I know in the retrospective - they put him not remembering Jim Kirk is dead down to being in a transporter for 75

years.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:35:34 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #781 on: March 07, 2017, 09:55:12 AM »

It's mainly that I never notice you praising an episode or film. It's nearly always picking holes in them.

He praises ToS episodes and movies quite a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: March 07, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »

Always that caveat though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: March 07, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
The Captain of USS Discovery is ... Jason Isaacs !! :D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #784 on: March 07, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »

I have tons of praise for all of it. There's even a great deal of TNG that I enjoy quite a bit. It's quite easy for me to think the characters, actors and much of the writing sucks ass and still enjoy many of the episodes. I watched Clues and Conundrum recently as they became topical here (and watched The Deadly Years last night for the same reason). Both were very good episodes that I dig watching, but when I see Troi's inane ass beat Data at chess I'm certainly going to call bullshit on that one (why bother with this thread, otherwise).

And by the way, Kirk didn't beat Spock in chess. At least not in WNMHGB. He just manages to escape a checkmate that Spock had predicted and pisses him off by doing so. "Sure you don't know what annoyance is, Mr. Spock?  :lol)
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #785 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
That is very interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: March 07, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »
I have tons of praise for all of it. There's even a great deal of TNG that I enjoy quite a bit. It's quite easy for me to think the characters, actors and much of the writing sucks ass and still enjoy many of the episodes. I watched Clues and Conundrum recently as they became topical here (and watched The Deadly Years last night for the same reason). Both were very good episodes that I dig watching, but when I see Troi's inane ass beat Data at chess I'm certainly going to call bullshit on that one (why bother with this thread, otherwise).

And by the way, Kirk didn't beat Spock in chess. At least not in WNMHGB. He just manages to escape a checkmate that Spock had predicted and pisses him off by doing so. "Sure you don't know what annoyance is, Mr. Spock?  :lol)

p.s. I also pick holes in episodes which I think are below par like Threshold ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: March 07, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
That is very interesting.

Another English captain ( english actor anyway... ) and he has similar kinda features to Scott Bakula I think. Will he be bald I wonder ;D

Bakula

Isaacs

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #788 on: March 07, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »
Isaacs is a great actor. Hopefully he'll be enough to save what appears to be a steaming pile of shit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: March 07, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »
I've never heard of or seen this guy before. Same with the other casting announcement of Mary Wiseman, although it looks like she hasn't done much before, unlike this dude.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #790 on: March 07, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
In the end, it's the writing/general direction that will determine the quality of this show.

As of yet, there hasn't been much to make me look forward to that aspect of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: March 07, 2017, 08:45:18 PM »
I kinda like that I don't know most of the cast, because it means I'll have no preconceptions about that actor/character, and only associate them with that part. But for now it also means I have no benefit of the doubt to give them there. I don't think Star Trek has ever been a standard of great acting anyway, so it's not my biggest concern.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #792 on: March 08, 2017, 12:01:06 AM »
I've never heard of or seen this guy before. Same with the other casting announcement of Mary Wiseman, although it looks like she hasn't done much before, unlike this dude.

I'm not sure if you've checked on him yet, but he was in the Harry Potter series. I also know him from a Mel Gibson movie called Patriot. Everything that I've heard about him as a person is that he's a great human being, but the characters that most people know him for are absolutely hateful and he does that extremely well in my opinion. His is the first thing that I've heard about the show that makes me hopeful.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: March 08, 2017, 12:07:28 AM »

I'm not sure if you've checked on him yet, but he was in the Harry Potter series. I also know him from a Mel Gibson movie called Patriot. Everything that I've heard about him as a person is that he's a great human being, but the characters that most people know him for are absolutely hateful and he does that extremely well in my opinion. His is the first thing that I've heard about the show that makes me hopeful.

I checked his imdb when I first saw the casting announcement, and I haven't seen anything he's been in. I'd rather go in with a blank slate now, but I'm glad that this casting choice is being received well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #794 on: March 08, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
Most of the cast regulars in ST have been unknowns. Everybody knew Geordi from Roots and Reading Rainbow. Some knew Picard from various Shakespeare productions (he did a very nice Claudius in the BBC Hamlet alongside the great Derick Jacobi) and maybe Dune. Cisco was Hawk and Rene Aubergenois was pretty well known. Kate Mulgrew was recognizable by face and voice but not by name. None of the rest of them seem previously familiar at all, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #795 on: March 08, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
Jason Isaacs is definitely the best thing about this production ATM. 

However, I would be more hopeful if he, as the captain, would be the show's protagonist, but that is not the case.  So we'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: March 08, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
Just watched Voyager : Non Sequiter.

There's a scene where a shuttle is leaving spacedock and it's the same shot as Enterprise D leaving the Dyson Sphere in "Relics".

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #797 on: March 08, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »
Just watched Voyager : Non Sequiter.

There's a scene where a shuttle is leaving spacedock and it's the same shot as Enterprise D leaving the Dyson Sphere in "Relics".

They were notorious for reusing shots like that. I remember seeing a shot of a Klingon ship being destroyed in one of the TOS movies that was used again frame for frame in Generations. When you've got a budget, what can ya do?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: March 08, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »
Yeah it's the Invisible Bird Of Prey from Star Trek 6 that was re-used in Generations.

They re-used shots like they re-used actors.

Fun Fact : Kate Mulgrew was sick for one episode of Season 5 so Jeffrey Coombs did it.

Yes i'm joking.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #799 on: March 08, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »
Yeah, there's a reason why 90% of the ships in Star Fleet seemed to be Excelsior class. Early on they went with what they had model-wise, and then they went with what they could afford budget-wise, which was constantly reusing the existing footage.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #800 on: March 08, 2017, 08:29:57 PM »
They re-used shots like they re-used actors.

Fun Fact : Kate Mulgrew was sick for one episode of Season 5 so Jeffrey Coombs did it.

Actually, I heard that it was one of his clones. We may never know  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: March 08, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
Speaking of stock shots, here's another fun fact: The effect used to make the Enterprise D go to warp was so time consuming and difficult to do, that they only ever used the same three shots created for the pilot episode. It's a much easier effect to do in CG. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #802 on: March 09, 2017, 08:13:16 AM »
Speaking of stock shots, here's another fun fact: The effect used to make the Enterprise D go to warp was so time consuming and difficult to do, that they only ever used the same three shots created for the pilot episode. It's a much easier effect to do in CG. :lol
Yeah, it's a slit-scan effect, IIRC. I guess that would be a PITA do do repeatedly. I suppose in that episode with The Traveler they just sped it up and slowed it down to make the ship appear longer/shorter.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: March 09, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
Yeah they had a stretched model of the ship just for that one shot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: March 09, 2017, 08:24:50 AM »
Yeah, there's a reason why 90% of the ships in Star Fleet seemed to be Excelsior class. Early on they went with what they had model-wise, and then they went with what they could afford budget-wise, which was constantly reusing the existing footage.

I seem to recall Capt. Frasier's  ship was a re-dressed Uss Reliant.