Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 274858 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #735 on: February 23, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »
While I had watched the original cast Star Trek movies, I got into Star Trek heavily with The Next Generation. I was 11 when it debuted. I liked some of the episodes from season 1, but many just seemed too "bright" for me. It wasn't until they got deep into season two, three, and four, and things got a little darker (meaning story wise and overall, lighting-wise in the shows) that I felt they found their legs, so to speak, and the ride was pretty amazing.

The feature films really didn't pan out as well as I had hoped they would (good, not great), however. Unfortunately, I don't think TNG has much life left to it, except for the novels. I'm currently reading the latest one on my Kindle.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
In other, slightly better news...

Star Trek Continues will finish producing the episodes for which it received funding totalling 11 Episodes.

I know they're non-profit but it would be cool if a DVD / Blu Ray was made available.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #737 on: February 27, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »
Just a little something from the archives:  The "big three" recording voice parts for Star Trek: The Animated Series.

I remember watching The Animated Series when it was on, and was impressed at how good the "fake" voice actors were, how much they sounded like the real TOS cast.  I was sure that there was no way the original cast would "lower" themselves to being voice actors in a Saturday-morning cartoon.  Blew my mind when I found out that most of the original cast was actually on board.  Also, many of the same writers from TOS wrote episodes for TAS, which helped with the quality of the show.  It was still cheesy 70's-style animation, but that was the medium at the time.  I've seen animated crap on TV nowadays that looks worse.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #738 on: February 27, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
Perhaps you underestimated how desperate for work the Shat was in the '70s. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: February 27, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
That old animation style that looked like Scooby Doo. Dots for eyes and people who nod constantly whilst talking.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #740 on: February 27, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »
Two years. Still missing someone I never knew. :(

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »
I'm not Murican so I don't know when Summer or Fall are supposed to be, but I guess Discovery has been delayed. Again. With any luck they'll just keep delaying this trainwreck until the actual 23rd century.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-premiere-summer-early-fall-cbs-ceo-says-981164

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #742 on: February 28, 2017, 09:32:26 PM »
I was expecting a fall release anyway.

The fact that they don't have a season yet, however, this late, isn't inspiring. Not that I can watch any of it anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »
Luckily outside of the US it's just on Netflix. And luckily I acquire things by other means anyway. It's not shaping up to be the kind of show to entice me to sign up to a new streaming service.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #744 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:50 PM »
I'm not Murican so I don't know when Summer or Fall are supposed to be, but I guess Discovery has been delayed. Again. With any luck they'll just keep delaying this trainwreck until the actual 23rd century.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-premiere-summer-early-fall-cbs-ceo-says-981164

Late summer/early fall would be September for us in the northern hemisphere. Most new shows start around that time for us, so it wouldn't really be out of line for what most of us are used to.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: March 01, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
Lwaxana V Deanna.

I always thought Lwaxana was a lot less annoying than Deanna. It may be because her appearances were limited and Deanna was on every episode.

Also - Lwaxana was *meant* to be annoying and Majel played her so well.

Deanna was not meant to be annoying but she just was. She was a terrible counsellor - just dishing out common sense and rendered useless at the first sign of trouble.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #746 on: March 01, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »
Lwaxana was always in shite episodes. I think that pretty much settles it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: March 01, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »
Yes but every Deanna-centric episode was always awful too.

My point is that Deanna wasn't written annoying but was and Lwaxana was vice versa.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: March 03, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
Just got through Journey to Babel, another great episode from ToS, top tier.

Watching Friday's Child now and I don't really cares for this episode. What the fuck some red shirt sees a klingon and he just attacks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: March 04, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
I had to go and check Encounter At Farpoint as I read that the Battle Bridge set is the same one used for the TOS movies main bridge.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: March 04, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »
Also in S1 - the foley is all messed up. It sounds like theres no close miking - when people leave the bridge - you can hear the set creaking and awkward footstep sounds :lol

And it sounds like they used 1 boom for everyone. Everyone's voice is echoey in corridors and whoever is closest to the camera is loudest :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
I don't like when we see Voyager or Enterprise right next to something on screen and they say " it's half a million km away "

It clearly isn't ??

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #752 on: March 05, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
I might be imagining it, but I'm sure I remember a throwaway line in either a TOS or TNG episode explaining the viewscreen.  Well, not even explaining it, but some civilian was on the bridge and the viewscreen was showing the planet below, but it was from a theoretical point of view many kilometers above the surface so you could get a nice view of the whole planet.  They asked how it was even possible.  The captain or maybe Spock or Data or someone referred to it as transwhatthefunctional* viewing, and how it's really a virtual image cooked up by the scanners.  My impression was that it was meant to explain all the times we see events happening on the surface or pretty much wherever they want, and the crew watches it on the viewscreen on the bridge like they're watching a big-screen TV (which is basically what it is), only virtual.

Or did I imagine all this?

*Some technobabble word

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: March 05, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »
I meant when we the viewers see two ships side by side and they go

" 500 km and closing "

If it was 500 km away then why are they clearly side by side ??

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #754 on: March 05, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »

" 500 km and closing "

It's metaphorical.

They're 500 metaphorical km and metaphorically closing.

It's just before its time. In a few hundred years, it'll be common place.

I use it today though. When I try to tell a girl how much I care about her, I say "I feel like we're 200km and closing".

Not sure why I'm single.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #755 on: March 05, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »

" 500 km and closing "

It's metaphorical.

They're 500 metaphorical km and metaphorically closing.

It's just before its time. In a few hundred years, it'll be common place.

I use it today though. When I try to tell a girl how much I care about her, I say "I feel like we're 200km and closing".

Not sure why I'm single.

:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: March 05, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
I might be imagining it, but I'm sure I remember a throwaway line in either a TOS or TNG episode explaining the viewscreen.  Well, not even explaining it, but some civilian was on the bridge and the viewscreen was showing the planet below, but it was from a theoretical point of view many kilometers above the surface so you could get a nice view of the whole planet.  They asked how it was even possible.  The captain or maybe Spock or Data or someone referred to it as transwhatthefunctional* viewing, and how it's really a virtual image cooked up by the scanners.  My impression was that it was meant to explain all the times we see events happening on the surface or pretty much wherever they want, and the crew watches it on the viewscreen on the bridge like they're watching a big-screen TV (which is basically what it is), only virtual.

Or did I imagine all this?

*Some technobabble word

I don't know, but a really narrow field of view could theoretically achieve a similar look.

And also it's entertainment. If you'd rather see nothing on screen instead to keep it technically accurate, have fun with that.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #757 on: March 06, 2017, 12:40:59 AM »
Trainwreck? Did I miss something, I've been staying away from anything ST related in case of spoilers or just to not get my hopes up too much.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: March 06, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »
Between Bryan Fuller pulling out, the horrible looking JJ style Klingon photo that recently leaked, some of the casting so far, the multiple delays in release date (they only just recently started even shooting), the time period they've chosen yet with an apparent lack of keeping to the established canon look of the prime timeline, and a couple of weeks ago firing the entire VFX team and starting with another studio, I'm not optimistic so far.
Maybe it won't be a trainwreck, but I'm still not expecting much from this at all.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #759 on: March 06, 2017, 01:24:11 AM »
Well, that surely doesn't inspire confidence in the final product. Personally, I don't mind timeline coherence as much as I don't really know or care about it if the end product is good (I did enjoy Enterprise a great deal), and I usually don't even notice them to begin with.  It would be a shame if this fails in any way, after such a long time without a Trek show, and if it does - we might not get a new one ever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: March 06, 2017, 04:29:02 AM »

And also it's entertainment. If you'd rather see nothing on screen instead to keep it technically accurate, have fun with that.

Change the script then.

--- Anyway - whatever happens - people will shoot down Discovery after one episode. Forgetting that it took TNG until it's 3rd season to hit it's stride.

it'll be " Well that first episode was awful - RIP star trek never watching this again ".

Then in 7 years when it's a colossal hit - " i was there from the beginning "

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #761 on: March 06, 2017, 04:36:22 AM »
I really want this new Star Trek to succeed, and if it fails it could be ages before we get another ST show, if ever again.  Like most others I can't honestly say I've been excited about what's been revealed so far, but hopefully it'll put though and be enjoyable, I'm trying not to judge till I've seen a few episodes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: March 06, 2017, 04:37:08 AM »
:lol You're extremely optimistic, thinking it will last 7 years.
I'll watch every episode regardless, just as I have with every other episode of Trek, but I won't be surprised if/when it turns out badly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: March 06, 2017, 04:43:55 AM »
Just saying that TNG took until its 3rd year to get really good.  but nobody will take that into account.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #764 on: March 06, 2017, 04:58:45 AM »
Just saying that TNG took until its 3rd year to get really good.  but nobody will take that into account.

There weren't may quality shows around in the mid-late 80's, so even the weak first couple of seasons didn't look that out of place in what was showing at the time, certainly in the Sci-Fi area!   Now there are a lot of quality shows around, if ST fails out of the gate I doubt it'll get two series to turn it round.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: March 06, 2017, 05:23:05 AM »

The situations are not comparable for many reasons.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:38:24 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: March 06, 2017, 05:42:46 AM »
Mainly because the internet didn't exist in 1987 for everyone to tear something to shreds.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: March 06, 2017, 05:47:29 AM »
This from the guy who tears everything to shreds on the internet.

And also, no.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: March 06, 2017, 05:49:13 AM »
I don't tear everything Star trek to shreds. Thats you and Barto's job.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »
:lol Come on.
I actually love most Trek. It's largely the new movies I hate on, and to be fair, they deserve all the criticism thrown their way.