Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 273853 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #665 on: February 01, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
DeForrest Kelley was in Encounter At Farpoint.

Patrick Stewart was in The Emissary

Armin Shimerman was in The Caretaker.

They should carry on that tradition. But Also i don't think anyone from Voyager was in Broken Bow ?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #666 on: February 01, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »
I hope that each season will be a different time period.
This is what I've been wanting all along. I want an anthology series where every episode is a different story from a different time and place. Show us a story about Captain Ransom and his brutal EMH trying to survive in the delta quadrant. Show us what happened five years after Kirk visited and fucked up the natural development of a planet. Political intrigue on Romulus. Hell, show us the Klingons wiping out every last tribble in the galaxy. Tons of ideas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: February 01, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
 :omg:  I .....

I ....can't ........El Barto agreed with something I said about STAR TREK.....

OH WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS ? *Picard Manoeuvre"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #668 on: February 01, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »
Other than the horrific lead, my biggest problem with it is the fact that it's a prequel. A decade before TOS, I'd expect everything about the show to look as or even more primitive than it did on TOS, this show looks like everything will look even more advanced than it did on TNG! This is such a real mind fuck for me, visually I'll never be able to get into it.
I didn't know about the CBS streaming service, if I got a job by the time this rolls out I might get it, I've been looking for an excuse to get it for an easy access to Colbert episodes.
That's not exactly how it works. The problem is that they can't make it look more primitive than the most futuristic look they could create in the sixties. Hell, the entire bridge was made of wood. While they had to couch around the technology being inferior (getting phasers was a huge deal to them) the Enterprise from Enterprise still looked far more futuristic than NCC1701. Think about how monitors look now compared to how they did 20 years ago, when we all had 80lb CRTs on our desks. Exact same thing with ST. On Enterprise they had actual flat panels. In TOS Kirk was always looking at these things:

Since you can't screw up any continuity, you might download the pilot for Enterprise just to see how things would look, showing an older ship made with modern TV production values. And it's not even a terrible episode for a pilot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #669 on: February 01, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »
:omg:  I .....

I ....can't ........El Barto agreed with something I said about STAR TREK.....

OH WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS ? *Picard Manoeuvre"
Nah, I had to agree with you a couple of weeks ago about something. I found it similarly distressing.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: February 03, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
So I very occasionally watch an episode of TOS.

Last night it was Charlie X & The Naked Time.

Naked Time was ok. Charlie X was...eh...

Kid who's been alone for 10 years comes on board the Enterprise. Is instantly fascinated by Janice Rand... :lolpalm:

Sigh...... I thought Star Trek was a sci fi show.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #671 on: February 03, 2017, 03:22:48 PM »
Charlie X was a shit episode, but I don't understand your criticism.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: February 03, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
Every episode I watch - an alien comes aboard and they go " tell us about women "

:rollin

Geeze.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #673 on: February 03, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
Men like women.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: February 03, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
as helpful as always

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #675 on: February 03, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
Charlie X was a shit episode, but I don't understand your criticism.

For once, I gotta go with Barto on this one. If I was alone for a decade, I'd probably latch on to the first female I saw too. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #676 on: February 06, 2017, 06:32:38 AM »
Men like women.

As proven by the inclusion of Seven to gain viewers!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: February 06, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
I'm just like :lolpalm: oh ffs every time they encounter some new alien and it goes TELL US ABOUT WOMEN!!!!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #678 on: February 06, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
I'm just like :lolpalm: oh ffs every time they encounter some new alien and it goes TELL US ABOUT WOMEN!!!!

It was the 60's. The clitoris and female orgasm was still a new concept to most of them. Of course they were going to obsess over it...

I'm joking

Kind of...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #679 on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
When else does this happen? I suppose The Apple qualifies, although the women were just as curious as the guys.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #680 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
When else does this happen? I suppose The Apple qualifies, although the women were just as curious as the guys.

How about a gender swapped ST then? Mostly female crew finds female adolescent in space. Gets on ship and yells "SHOW ME THE D!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #681 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »

How about a gender swapped ST then? Mostly female crew finds female adolescent in space. Gets on ship and yells "SHOW ME THE D!"
Heh, in Spock's brain the ladies sure did seem a bit naive.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: February 07, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
Just finished watching I, Mudd. Not bad, definitely a goofy episode, probably middle tier from what I've seen so far from TOS.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #683 on: February 07, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
I always liked TOS comedy episodes. That and A Piece of the Action were always winners in my book.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
I really like I, Mudd. It's a fun episode, and Mudd was a good recurring character. I'll even give it a pass for being one of the many episodes where they confuse an AI to death, because Spock's scene with the two girls has always been a favourite of mine. "I love you, however I hate you".
A Piece of the Action I don't like quite as much. To me it's just one of those "how can we make an episode on the cheap by raiding the costume department" type episodes that doesn't really make sense, although it's still amusing for the silliness factor, as many of those episodes are. Mobster stuff has never appealed to me either.

On a semi-related but not really note, the brunette was the only one of Mudd's women that I thought was hot. Maybe it's because of my aversion to blondes in general, but the other two did nothing for me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #685 on: February 08, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
I really like I, Mudd. It's a fun episode, and Mudd was a good recurring character. I'll even give it a pass for being one of the many episodes where they confuse an AI to death, because Spock's scene with the two girls has always been a favourite of mine. "I love you, however I hate you".
A Piece of the Action I don't like quite as much. To me it's just one of those "how can we make an episode on the cheap by raiding the costume department" type episodes that doesn't really make sense, although it's still amusing for the silliness factor, as many of those episodes are. Mobster stuff has never appealed to me either.

On a semi-related but not really note, the brunette was the only one of Mudd's women that I thought was hot. Maybe it's because of my aversion to blondes in general, but the other two did nothing for me.
APotA is certainly an on the cheap episode, but that never bothered me. Was City on the Edge of Forever any different? They can do cheap episodes in whatever style they want, and it's still the quality of the writing and acting that matter. I enjoyed APotA a great deal simply as one of their comedy episodes. Spock continually buggering the lingo cracked me up. "Riggghhhttt?"  "Check!" Same with Scotty. And Mel was great as a mobster.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: February 08, 2017, 10:14:45 AM »
As I make my way thru TOS - i'm always surprised how well it holds up. I always imagine SUPER cheap and tacky and over the top .

But it's not THAT bad...

There's some good drama in there with the silliness. Like Corbomite Manoeuvre

First series of TNG is probably worse !

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
APotA is certainly an on the cheap episode, but that never bothered me. Was City on the Edge of Forever any different? They can do cheap episodes in whatever style they want, and it's still the quality of the writing and acting that matter.

That's very true. The main difference was that a time travel setup is more plausible to my scifi mind than an authentic Earth history/location mobster planet (although admittedly the guardian of forever was a pretty major contrivance so that's not perfect either), and I just thought the story/writing was much better. I still enjoyed APOTA for what it was. It didn't take itself too seriously.
I've certainly got nothing against general cheapness and recycled costumes if the story is good. The Twilight Zone is one of my favourite shows of all time, and the majority of that was telling great stories with very little.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #688 on: February 08, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »
APotA is certainly an on the cheap episode, but that never bothered me. Was City on the Edge of Forever any different? They can do cheap episodes in whatever style they want, and it's still the quality of the writing and acting that matter.

That's very true. The main difference was that a time travel setup is more plausible to my scifi mind than an authentic Earth history/location mobster planet (although admittedly the guardian of forever was a pretty major contrivance so that's not perfect either), and I just thought the story/writing was much better. I still enjoyed APOTA for what it was. It didn't take itself too seriously.
I've certainly got nothing against general cheapness and recycled costumes if the story is good. The Twilight Zone is one of my favourite shows of all time, and the majority of that was telling great stories with very little.
You and every other person on the planet save for Harlan Ellison. City was TOS's masterpiece and Action was a one-off comedy episode so there's really no comparison. I just think insofar as one-off comedy episodes go it was damned entertaining, and the recycling is pretty excusable.

E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #689 on: February 08, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
As I make my way thru TOS - i'm always surprised how well it holds up. I always imagine SUPER cheap and tacky and over the top .

But it's not THAT bad...

There's some good drama in there with the silliness. Like Corbomite Manoeuvre

First series of TNG is probably worse !
Corbomite Maneuver has always been one of my favorites. I like that it was McCoy's first episode and they really establish him in a big way. That might be the hardest he ever rips into Kirk.

And I don't generally compare seasons. As I've said all along, each series has A, B and C level episodes, and the ratios are pretty similar throughout. I know when I broke down a list of TOS episodes I'd recommend (to Metty, I believe) it was about he same 50% that I came up with for TNG episodes to keep around. When I go through and watch VOY or ENT I'll usually watch about half.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #690 on: February 08, 2017, 05:11:06 PM »
So.............should I re-watch ToS? It has been a lot of years and I'm not completely sure I finished season 3.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: February 08, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
I'm currently watching it for the first time and I'm really enjoying it so my vote is yes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: February 08, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
I watch an episode every once in a  while.

I've got Season 1 Remastered on DVD which makes it easier ( at least the phasers arent walkie talkies and Spock goes NooOoOoOOO )

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: February 08, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »
I'm currently watching it for the first time and I'm really enjoying it so my vote is yes.

Reap ! Which episodes have you seen so far ?

I like Where No Man Has Gone Before and The Corbomite Manoeuvre.

.... I like any episode which involves outsmarting an alien.

TNG episode Samaritan Snare was a great example of the 1701 D crew outwitting some stupid aliens.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #694 on: February 08, 2017, 05:36:15 PM »

Reap ! Which episodes have you seen so far ?

I like Where No Man Has Gone Before and The Corbomite Manoeuvre.

.... I like any episode which involves outsmarting an alien.

TNG episode Samaritan Snare was a great example of the 1701 D crew outwitting some stupid aliens.
If that's the one I'm thinking of the aliens were over the top stupid, which didn't work well for me. Those guys make Ferengi look like Vulcans. At the same time I wholeheartedly approve of their policy of shooting Geordi at will. That cracked me up.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: February 08, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
Yeah the Pakleds.

But it was funny seeing how stupid they were and just knowing that they would be beaten easily :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #696 on: February 08, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
I think that the fact that they were so over the top stupid added an extra element of danger. Same thing with the Ferengi when they were first introduced. They had an element of ignorance that made them a little more dangerous. However, it didn't take the writers long before some of those elements with the Ferengi were stripped away, or lessened to a great degree.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: February 08, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
I've wondered for a while how you *write* a good captain ?

How do you write that the Captain has the best decisions and that the first officer doesn't ?

You could say that "Picard's choices are based on weighing up all the possibilities and trying to pick the best course of action for everyone and minimising loss ...or worst case scenario "

And that " Riker's choices are based on gut and training rather than experience and knowing that loss may inevitably occur "

It's interesting.

But how do you write that Picard is a good Captain ? You can't have all his decisions be right - obviously sometimes he has to pick the wrong move...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #698 on: February 08, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »
I think that the fact that they were so over the top stupid added an extra element of danger. Same thing with the Ferengi when they were first introduced. They had an element of ignorance that made them a little more dangerous. However, it didn't take the writers long before some of those elements with the Ferengi were stripped away, or lessened to a great degree.
That could certainly be an interesting character device, but I don't think it worked the way they were presented (the Pakled, that is). We're used to seeing ruthless people with guns as the bad guys, and I like the idea of a simpleton in their place. It's an entirely different type of danger. That works well with children, for example, who can't comprehend the consequences of their actions. I think that might have come up in TNG, and it certainly did in TOS, and more successfully in VOY. The Pakled just came off as comic relief, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: February 08, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »
I also like stories where two intellects are battling it out but the antagonist gets lulled into a trap because the protagonist is keeping something back til the last moment.

It's like - the antagonist believes he has the upper hand and then bam. Ace in the hole.

Works better if the audience is unaware of said Ace in the hole.

or it has been briefly set up at the beginning of the film like a Chekovs Gun ( no pun intended )...