Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270829 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2016, 09:12:33 AM »
It's pretty awful. But this is the Trek thread. Keep that peasant shit outta here! :blob:

It is beyond awful. ( no pun intended ). It literally is a laughter track over dialogue. I've seen a lot of sitcoms being a comedy fan and the jokes in that are beyond predictable.

I always thought the writing on Futurama was stellar. Jokes that were original and clever and surprising that nobody else has ever thought of that joke before...

Interestingly - one of the writers of Futurama used to follow me on twitter and he HATED Big bang theory :lol

An example of a joke structure in Big Bang Theory is

" pass me x and dont knock over y whilst you're doing it "

" of course i;m not going to knock over y "

* knocks over y "

MASSIVE LAUGHTER

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: December 02, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
Sorry King but I gotta agree with Kotowboy and Blob on this one, Big Bang is shitty as hell.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #422 on: December 02, 2016, 09:30:33 AM »
I dunno, the Big Bang theory was extremely revolutionary. It really was a game changer, and in my opinion, the result of pure genius.

Oh you guys mean the TV show? Absolute rubbish.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #423 on: December 02, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
You're trying to argue that awards and ratings equal quality? On a prog forum?? :lol

Justin Bieber sells a fuck load of records ! he must be GREAT !!!!
Justin Bieber IS great.  Probably the hardest-working guy in show business right now.  Great songwriter, decent musician, puts on a hell of a show, and funny as hell and a decent actor to boot.  He is incredibly talented, and deserves everything he's gotten.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #424 on: December 02, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »
Sorry to side track by you guys are the minority.  It is widely popular with critics, it's peers.  It's a very good show.  I know there are some shows that is very good that the populous does not like and I've watched many like that as well but a good show is a good show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »
You're trying to argue that awards and ratings equal quality? On a prog forum?? :lol

Justin Bieber IS great.  Probably the hardest-working guy in show business right now.  Great songwriter, decent musician, puts on a hell of a show, and funny as hell and a decent actor to boot.  He is incredibly talented, and deserves everything he's gotten.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »
Sorry to side track by you guys are the minority.  It is widely popular with critics, it's peers.  It's a very good show.  I know there are some shows that is very good that the populous does not like and I've watched many like that as well but a good show is a good show.

Well i've given my own personal reasons and examples from the show as to why I find it so bad. What is it about it that you like ?

For me it's the annoying and overly cliched characters. The fact that it's marketed as a show full of pop culture and science / geek references when that is just completely false. Obviously the over bearing laughter over every single line of - what is essentially dialogue. The catchphrase "Bazinga"...

Whereas Futurama WAS full of pop culture refs, clever nerdy/geek/science/tech jokes..Brilliantly original writing and great characters.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »

S..s..sarcasm green hef?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
Or just to disagree with Kotowboy for the sake of it ?

Mmm. Yes I think so.
inb4 "no"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »

We know lots of people watch it. Popular doesn't mean it's good. Given the recent election, the opinion of the average person in the US is worth exactly dick-all to me. Tons of people also hate the show. Using popularity to prove that something is good isn't an argument that should hold any water on a prog forum of all places. :biggrin:

Now seriously, can we get back to Star Trek, instead of arguing about some unrelated sitcom? I gave an opinion on a Star Trek doco with a passing mention of something, then Kotow had to get triggered into a sideways unrelated rant that took it off topic. The reason I mentioned it in the first place was because I DIDN'T WANT IT IN MY STAR TREK!  :police:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #430 on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »
S..s..sarcasm green hef?
Nope.

Or just to disagree with Kotowboy for the sake of it ?

Mmm. Yes I think so.
inb4 "no"
And nope. 

I don't get it.  What do you find in my post to criticize?  Or are you just one (two?) of those "It's really popular so it can't possibly be good" people?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: December 02, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »
But Wil Wheaton was in BBT.

Oh right - the guy who thought INto Darkness was the best Trek Movie and Beyond was Awful... :lol

The guy who hops on every geeky bandwagon going.

THAT GUY.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm hoping that Star Trek Beyond sells enough on Home Video to warrant a 4th movie. Despite JJ saying a 4th movie was 100% happening - whilst Beyond was still in theaters -

It did not make tidal waves and was the lowest performing of the 3. Saying that Chris Hemsworth would be in the next one is just them trying to get the Avengers audience in.

Obviously movies are a business but it's pretty transparent.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: December 02, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »

I don't get it.  What do you find in my post to criticize?  Or are you just one (two?) of those "It's really popular so it can't possibly be good" people?

If I thought his music was any good at all i'd say so. But i don't.  I'm also not against pop music. A song is a song is a song.

His music is Poptarts. take it out of the box and put it in the toaster for 3 mins and you got a #1 single on the charts.

It's not good songwriting. It's about as formulaic and generic as it gets and is written by 20 "producers" and sounds like it was made by a computer in 1 minute.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #433 on: December 02, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »

If I thought his music was any good at all i'd say so. But i don't.  I'm also not against pop music. A song is a song is a song.

His music is Poptarts. take it out of the box and put it in the toaster for 3 mins and you got a #1 single on the charts.

It's not good songwriting. It's about as formulaic and generic as it gets and is written by 20 "producers" and sounds like it was made by a computer in 1 minute.
lol OK

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: December 02, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
To save the sanity of my friend Blob :lol, I'm PM'd Kotowboy the answer to the question he asked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: December 02, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »

lol OK

:tup Typical hef Response. Lets just leave it at that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: December 02, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
To save the sanity of my friend Blob :lol, I'm PM'd Kotowboy the answer to the question he asked.

Thank you for being a friend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2016, 12:12:34 PM »
:getoffmylawn:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »

lol OK

:tup Typical hef Response. Lets just leave it at that.
You should have probably left it at "If I thought his music was any good at all i'd say so. But i don't."  Everything you posted after that showed there was no use talking about it with you (especially in a Star Trek thread).

Good thing everyone knows how formulaic it is to make popular music.  Easy peasy, anyone could do it.  Good to know.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: December 02, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »
Atta Girl :tup.

Especially cookie cutter electronic bilge like Justine Bebo

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: December 02, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »

I feel like singing 80's sitcoms right now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #441 on: December 02, 2016, 01:53:33 PM »
Atta Girl :tup.

Especially cookie cutter electronic bilge like Justine Bebo
FWIW, it isn't electronic.  Full band, and a big band too, complete with horn section.

But you're right, he should be more authentic and original.  Like Oasis.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: December 02, 2016, 02:01:31 PM »
At least they're a BAND. That write and play their own music without 50 rap producers in the studio.

Offline Adami

« Reply #443 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »
Guys!!!

Knock it off. Or I'll do absolutely nothing since I have no power.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: December 02, 2016, 03:00:19 PM »
Guys!!!

Knock it off. Or I'll do absolutely nothing since I have no power.

::) yeah i'd like to see you try. MISTER.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: December 02, 2016, 03:20:06 PM »
Kotowboy I wanted to engage in a simple conversation that destroys Bieber but now you've created an unnecessarily uneasy climate because of your condescending tone and now I'm left with either siding with a Bieber sympathizer or the condescending poster, D'oh!
Hef I have little baby girls and I know you have a teenage daughter if I recall right, so one thing I can think to say is that I might be here in 14 years to defend the Bieber of the time against the next incarnation of Kotowboy, if that happens I'll give you a shout out heh

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: December 02, 2016, 03:23:25 PM »
K2t2wb2y : Judgement Day

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #447 on: December 02, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »
Thankfully, I can quite truthfully say I've never heard even a snippet of the guy's music. I admire him for getting to deflower Selena Gomez, but otherwise he's just some generic knucklehead who might or might not warrant his staggering wealth.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #448 on: December 02, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »
At least they're a BAND. That write and play their own music without 50 rap producers in the studio.
I can't believe this is happening, but this entire time, even though the name is clearly typed Bieber everywhere, I just realized that the person I have actually been talking about is not Justin Bieber, but Justin Timberlake.

Fuck me. Yeah, Bieber sucks. lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: December 02, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Oh thank god, I'd lost all faith in humanity there. Because if you can't trust hef's opinions to make sense, what can you trust?

I feel like singing 80's sitcoms right now.

And that's why we're friends. :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2016, 12:32:31 AM »
I can't believe this is happening, but this entire time, even though the name is clearly typed Bieber everywhere, I just realized that the person I have actually been talking about is not Justin Bieber, but Justin Timberlake.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
This page should be on "DTF: The Greatest Hits" CD hehe
Timberlake is a decent pop singer, I agree with that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2016, 03:17:57 AM »
The more I see and read about Brent Spiner - the more I realise he is the Shatner of TNG. Acting the show was all about him and thinks he's really funny when he's not. At all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #452 on: December 03, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

I did the same thing just the other day.  My wife was watching some movie with Timberlake in it, and I looked and asked "Is that Bieber?" and she said "No, that's Justin Timberlake" and I was gonna say something smartass like "Same thing" but I didn't because I actually kinda like Timberlake both as an actor and as a singer, and I really did mean to say Timberlake.  Bieber I just want to smack in the face hard with something really heavy.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: December 03, 2016, 07:01:49 PM »
Does the Spock documentary spoil anything for someone who hasn't finished TOS yet?

Offline Adami

« Reply #454 on: December 03, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »
Does the Spock documentary spoil anything for someone who hasn't finished TOS yet?

They were all dead the whole time and the island was purgatory.
fanticide.bandcamp.com