Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 275904 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1050 on: May 01, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
Requiem for Methuselah was a good episode, exactly up to the "does not compute! Can not conceive love!" part.

And later they lifted the sucky ending in the Lal episode.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1051 on: May 01, 2017, 12:51:41 PM »
I barely even remember Requirm for Methuselah. Didn't realize it was the same writer as The Man From Earth, although I did watch it because of the Trek actors in it. Pretty good, although noticeably low budget.
It didn't need a high budget. Overall I thought it was good, occasionally excellent, right up until the last 3 minutes. The ending was completely unnecessary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1052 on: May 01, 2017, 10:44:25 PM »
I barely even remember Requirm for Methuselah. Didn't realize it was the same writer as The Man From Earth, although I did watch it because of the Trek actors in it. Pretty good, although noticeably low budget.
It didn't need a high budget. Overall I thought it was good, occasionally excellent, right up until the last 3 minutes. The ending was completely unnecessary.

You're right it didn't need the budget, that was more of a disclaimer for Progmetty if he decided to watch it, rather than a criticism. I thought the ending was quite contrived myself, but I guess that was supposed to be their solid confirmation that his story was true.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: May 02, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »
Metty: If you're not familiar with it you might want to check out TMfE. It's the same writer as Requiem and a retelling of the Flint character. For the most part it's pretty good, and certainly better than the ST version.

The Mission Log podcast guys recommended that movie as well in their review of the episode. I'll find it!

These next two episodes I saw had premises that I found very interesting and have been waiting to see them explored ever since I started watching Star Trek. First I'd share my initial imagining of these ideas then I'll talk about the episodes that tried to explore them:
1. The premise of a coup d'etat on the Federation, initiated by high ranking Star Fleet officers. The captain of the Enterprise finds out somehow and decides to resist or at least evade capture until a plan is in order. The Enterprise goes rouge and cuts off all communication with Star Fleet. I imagined that premise would be best served as a story arc that spans a season. I didn't have in mind if it would be TOS or TNG, obviously TNG has a more serious tone and was made in a more appropriate era of TV to withstand such topic but would have wanted Spock in the context.
The coup d'etat could either be alien infiltration or actual corruption and power hunger, both would be interesting.
2. The very plausible idea that not everybody is on board with what the Federation is or what it represents. We take for granted that they've eliminated all conflicts and politics as we know is a thing of the past, no opposition and no dissent. I've accepted that concept but it would be interesting to see problems in these areas pop up every now and then, just from a human nature stand point; it's realistic for it to happen, some -at least a few- people won't be happy with the world government.

So these two episodes came close to exploring these ideas but didn't quiet nail it:
1. TNG - Conspiracy: The first 10-15 minutes of this episode is exactly what I wanted to see this premise play out. Picard is contacted by other ship captains for a meet up, they can't discuss details "over the phone" so he knows nothing of the matter until he beams over and sees them, they're skeptical of him so they test him first to know if it's really him, that's when I knew they went with the Invasion of The Body Snatchers type of story instead of high ranking conspirators, then they tell him something is up with Star Fleet, etc. Picard returns to the Enterprise and ponders what to do with this information, consults his close officers and he sees one of the Captains he met getting his ship blown up. I'm not recapping the episode, just stating the type of atmosphere I wanted to see was exactly that.
Then it goes full on Invasion of The Body Snatchers, which I don't mind except it was revealed way too early for my taste and it stays focused on that aspect until it wraps up. So yeah the episode engaged me pretty good and it gave me a decent glimpse of the idea I wanted to see, good deal.
2. TOS - The Way to Eden: Hippies! Yeah boy, colorful bare foot 60's hippie girls make me happy in the ol' trousers...
But oh yeah, so hippies are not what I envisioned Star Trek would introduce the idea of people disillusioned with the Federation rule. But it worked pretty good, until they decided to make them all dumb and led by a clinically insane person. And make the Eden planet they were looking for to escape The Man, a poisonous deadly place with sweet landscapes, suggesting it was just a mirage and an illusion, that the Federation is the best place to be and abide by. So this one was a tiny glimpse of the idea I wanted to see, not bad although comical.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:06:42 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: May 17, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:04:01 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1055 on: May 17, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
Looks a bit more Star Treky than I had expected, but not enough to get my hopes up. The girl's mysterious tie to the Vulcans is intriguing. A newest look for the Klingons is stupid. Ripping off one of Kirk's best moments was cheap.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: May 17, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »
What moment did they rip off ?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1057 on: May 17, 2017, 11:21:10 PM »
Visually (minus one thing) it looks stunning. I have a feeling all of this is from the pilot though.

Story wise, no idea. Hard to tell.

However...THOSE KLINGONS! What the hell? Why would you so radically change such an iconic species? I see no reason at all. Who was complaining about Klingons looking bad beforehand? Ugh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1058 on: May 17, 2017, 11:30:47 PM »
However...THOSE KLINGONS! What the hell? Why would you so radically change such an iconic species? I see no reason at all. Who was complaining about Klingons looking bad beforehand? Ugh.

It started with JJ trek, and for some odd reason they thought it was a good idea. It's just another mistake in a long line of them as far as I can tell.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Adami

« Reply #1059 on: May 17, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »

It started with JJ trek, and for some odd reason they thought it was a good idea. It's just another mistake in a long line of them as far as I can tell.

I don't think JJ's Klingons looked quite as awful. This is just.........wow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1060 on: May 17, 2017, 11:42:08 PM »

I don't think JJ's Klingons looked quite as awful. This is just.........wow.

Agreed. It seems like a failed attempt to create some sort of "buzz" by updating the visuals. Totally unnecessary.

Online Adami

« Reply #1061 on: May 17, 2017, 11:47:35 PM »
In the end, however, it's the mere fact that this is on an independent paid streaming service that stops me from watching it.

Sad really.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1062 on: May 17, 2017, 11:57:03 PM »
In the end, however, it's the mere fact that this is on an independent paid streaming service that stops me from watching it.

Sad really.

Yeah, it needs to be on their regular network programming. I'm sure that the world wouldn't miss it if they replaced one of the four billion CSI programs that CBS has running on a nightly basis. Better yet, they could replace that cunt Dr. Phil.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: May 18, 2017, 01:06:09 AM »
By no stretch of the imagination does this connect to the prime universe. From start to finish, it's JJ inspired. If you told me this was a trailer for the next movie, I wouldn't even question it. The bridge looked exactly like the Kelvin with the big viewscreen that the JJ universe uses, the same inspired HUDS, the same random alien designs, the uniforms, the space suits. I don't think anyone working on this show realizes that Captain Kirk existed before 2009.
It also showed nothing of interest. Ok, it has a ship, and some girl dealing with Vulcans, and some things that were called Klingons, except I saw no Klingons. What is this show actually about? Why is it set in this period? And why does it look nothing at all like that period? Just why?

Online Adami

« Reply #1064 on: May 18, 2017, 01:08:23 AM »
By no stretch of the imagination does this connect to the prime universe. From start to finish, it's JJ inspired. If you told me this was a trailer for the next movie, I wouldn't even question it. The bridge looked exactly like the Kelvin with the big viewscreen that the JJ universe uses, the same inspired HUDS, the same random alien designs, the uniforms, the space suits. I don't think anyone working on this show realizes that Captain Kirk existed before 2009.
It also showed nothing of interest. Ok, it has a ship, and some girl dealing with Vulcans, and some things that were called Klingons, except I saw no Klingons. What is this show actually about? Why is it set in this period? And why does it look nothing at all like that period? Just why?

Because unlike you and me, most people really love the JJ movies and think THAT is how Trek should be, and are going to absolutely love this show on every level.

........unlike you and me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: May 18, 2017, 01:17:39 AM »

Because unlike you and me, most people really love the JJ movies and think THAT is how Trek should be, and are going to absolutely love this show on every level.

........unlike you and me.

I get that much, and I'm fine with them trying to capitalize on that audience, but in that case, why set it in the prime universe as a prequel and apparently connected to an important event in Trek history? It makes no sense. They're trying to have it both ways.
Assuming they legally aren't allowed to set it in the JJ universe, they could have done a lazy reboot themselves, or set it post Nemesis where the technology would actually match up to the huge deviations of the JJ universe, and done what they wanted without restriction. It's clear there's little direction with this show since Fuller left.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1066 on: May 18, 2017, 08:22:53 AM »
What moment did they rip off ?
Whether or not it plays out as such in the show, the preview was edited so that the captain re-created the "I don't believe in the no-win scenario" scene from TWoK. All she needed to do was say "I don't like to lose" and then whip out an apple after the ship appears out of the clouds.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1067 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
And now that I think about it, I'm perfectly fine with it being the JJVerse. That leaves the ST that I like out of this whole sorry thing, and my problem with the JJ films wasn't the altered universe but they poor writing and the fact that they were clearly action movies set in space. This doesn't come across like mindless explosions and pew-pew-pew, so if they could muster up something Star Treky in this universe I'd be just fine with it.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1068 on: May 18, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
And now that I think about it, I'm perfectly fine with it being the JJVerse. That leaves the ST that I like out of this whole sorry thing, and my problem with the JJ films wasn't the altered universe but they poor writing and the fact that they were clearly action movies set in space. This doesn't come across like mindless explosions and pew-pew-pew, so if they could muster up something Star Treky in this universe I'd be just fine with it.

And are you going to pay money to stream it or find......other means?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1069 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:30 AM »
Other means.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »
I am also subscribed to the other means service.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1071 on: May 18, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
I think that a great majority of the ST fanbase is going to view the show by "other means". So the question is, will this force CBS to relent and put the show on regular programming channels? Or will it force CBS to cancel the show after a short run because they won't see the bump in subscription numbers that they were hoping for?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
I've heard the show is only intended for two seasons, possibly an anthology, so if that's the case, maybe they've calculated that risk into it already.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: May 20, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
TOS is over  :sadpanda:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1074 on: May 20, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »

Did you enjoy the series overall? I got the impression from your posts that it was something that you were really getting into.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: May 21, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »
Yes sir, I loved it! even the weak episodes were enjoyable in their own way.
Started The Animated Series, second episode titled Yesteryear is a really great Spock episode and I think it influenced the 09 movie a bit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1076 on: May 21, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
How are you coming with TNG? Should be getting pretty good.

And while I probably wouldn't be quite so gung-ho about it, if you really wanted to get full-on ST geek, here's the ideal viewing order as crafted by a planet full of anally retentive nerds. The one thing I certainly would do is plan the overlaps with the series, which would have DS9 beginning after a two-parter in season 6 of TNG.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mlBveFfmceuDmR1CVjmJyTYgZY2YFVI-WjYsqDJQ900/edit

Downloaded TAS a couple of weeks ago. Only watched the first episode so far. While I'm just fine with animation, that particular style really doesn't work well for me.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: May 21, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
Since Harry Mudd is in Discovery - i finally watched Mudd's Women.

Barely even sci fi :lolpalm: and the vaseline on the lens on the close ups was hilarious.

And the twist that the age reversing drugs don't do squat - it's the girls that did it on their own...What ? They did that with confidence ?

What ?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1078 on: May 21, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »
Yeah, it was supposed to be some kind of statement about how looks don't matter as much as "inner beauty" and confidence, and "feeling pretty" will make you actually more attractive.  I think there's some validity to that, but really, it came off pretty weak the way they did it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1079 on: May 21, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Eh, without that we wouldn't have gotten Mudd I, which always amused me.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1080 on: May 21, 2017, 09:38:23 PM »
Mudd himself was fine, I'm just saying that the story came off kinda week.  I too prefer "I, Mudd" to "Mudd's Women".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »
I agree with Orbert's analysis of Mudd's Women, so it was more of the traditional allegory scifi than the pew pew giant explosions scifi. Scifi is often about the concept more so than the literal plausibility of tech, and TOS usually went for the former rather than the latter. Also, the brunette was by far the hottest of Mudd's women. The others weren't even good. TOS had so many better other looking women.

I also agree that I Mudd is better than Mudd's Women. Sure, it was yet another episode where they defeat an AI by confusion, but the scene with Spock confusing the two girls was too funny for me to care, and the whole thing was just having some fun.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1082 on: May 22, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
Yeah, I think it was early enough in the show that they couldn't afford better looking ladies. But then they immediately followed it up with perhaps he best looking gal they had in the whole series, so who knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: May 22, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
*double checks to confirm what next episode was*

*exactly what episode I thought*

*does not disagree*

Maybe their actor budget was enough for either 1 really hot chick, or 1 good looking chick with 2 mediocre ones. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1084 on: May 22, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
*double checks to confirm what next episode was*

*exactly what episode I thought*

*does not disagree*

Maybe their actor budget was enough for either 1 really hot chick, or 1 good looking chick with 2 mediocre ones. :lol
I recall hearing John Cleese's take on Holy Grail, and he was disappointed in the Castle Anthrax sketch. He felt the girls weren't hot enough to get the emotional response the scene needed. Seems it was a budget constraint as they couldn't afford to bus in 30 gorgeous girls from London, so they had to settle for Leeds or something and there just wasn't the same selection to choose from.  :lol
E.F. Benson