Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 50144 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1120 on: April 05, 2024, 10:21:45 AM »
Saw Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One.  Well, most of it.  My wife is in the hospital and it was one of the movies available, so it was "edited for content" plus we were interrupted a few times by people coming in, but I got the gist of it and probably won't bother rewatching it just to catch the few minutes here and there that I missed out of three hours.

It was entertaining, as most MI movies are, and also quite brainless, as most MI movies are.  I understand and agree with all the flack about Ilsa and Grace.  It seemed really weird the way it played out.  Also, Gabriel, WTF?  He's pulling in characters from previous movies (which is nice and provides some believeable continuity) but Gabriel comes out of nowhere (okay, somewhere in the "before" past) with all this baggage and backstory, and we're just supposed to buy it.  Whatever, he's the bad guy.  But the critique is not unwarranted.

Mostly fun.  The train scene had me laughing out loud for several minutes because it was so ridiculous, and it just kept going and going.  Like the Energizer Bunny.  But whatever, it wasn't a waste of three hours, since I was there anyway.

3.5 unnecessary plot twists out of 5

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1121 on: April 05, 2024, 10:23:22 AM »
Hope your wife is okay and on the mend.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1122 on: April 05, 2024, 10:58:21 AM »
Thanks.  They think she could be released today, but they've been saying that for three days now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1123 on: April 05, 2024, 11:10:44 AM »
Still haven't seen that one.

Hope the wife is OK, Orbert.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1124 on: April 05, 2024, 09:13:16 PM »
Thanks.  She's home now, resting.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1125 on: April 06, 2024, 05:11:53 AM »
Strays.  Stupid 12-year old potty humour.  It was fantastic.  Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Mrs.jingle wasn't terribly impressed, but she was the one that suggested it a while ago (largely because it had Will Ferrell in it).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: April 06, 2024, 07:17:30 PM »
I read the Hunger Games books and liked them a lot. I enjoyed the first movie, but when I watched it again years later, I was pretty bored. I don't remember much from the second film, and don't believe I saw the third and fourth.

I enjoy watching the Cinema Sins "everything wrong with" videos for the HG movies.

For reasons I cannot understand Cinemasins is either a big hit or a huge miss with me. The Hunger Games films are an example of films they "sin" very effectively and entertainingly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: April 06, 2024, 10:51:56 PM »
Glass Onion. Just like Knives Out, I love these bonkers locked-door mysteries with their convoluted plots and wacky characters.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1128 on: April 07, 2024, 04:23:42 AM »
Glass Onion. Just like Knives Out, I love these bonkers locked-door mysteries with their convoluted plots and wacky characters.

Both very enjoyable movies!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1129 on: April 07, 2024, 02:54:08 PM »
The First Omen at the theatre, and The Menu for my Saturday night movie. Both were fantastic.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1130 on: April 07, 2024, 02:55:15 PM »

Yea, I liked Knives Out more, but really enjoyed Glass Onion.

I was hoping that the 3 new Poirot movies would be equally as great, but only the first one was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: April 07, 2024, 08:31:37 PM »
Yea, I liked Knives Out more, but really enjoyed Glass Onion.

I was hoping that the 3 new Poirot movies would be equally as great, but only the first one was.

I used to be a big Christie fan, and have been meaning to watch those new ones.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1132 on: April 08, 2024, 07:23:56 AM »
I went and saw Femme last night, great movie!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1133 on: April 13, 2024, 06:37:21 AM »
Welcome to the 594th episode of "I never saw it and it was there on the streaming platform", featuring tonight: Good Morning Vietnam.

Brilliant movie, absolutely stellar performance from Robin Williams.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1134 on: April 13, 2024, 07:59:43 AM »
Welcome to the 594th episode of "I never saw it and it was there on the streaming platform", featuring tonight: Good Morning Vietnam.

Brilliant movie, absolutely stellar performance from Robin Williams.

Since the VP is such a VIP, maybe we should keep the PC on the QT, cuz if it leaks to the VC he might go MIA, then we'll all be on KP

Yeah, that's an amazing movie.  Been decades since I've seen it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: April 13, 2024, 10:36:38 AM »
That is one of those movies that I thought was great but don't have any desire to watch again.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1136 on: April 13, 2024, 12:19:44 PM »
Robin Williams was definitely one of a kind, and the best at whatever the hell it was that he was.  He made me laugh out loud, many times, but he could be exhausting and didn't really work in large doses for me.  His force of personality was so powerful that he tended to dominate the room, which is why I think my favorite roles of his were when he was quieter, acting rather than just being Robin Williams cranked to 11 all the time.  One Hour Photo, Bicentennial Man, even Mrs. Doubtfire.  He was such an amazing performer that it's no surprise that that included being a damned good actor, but people mostly remember him as a funny man.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1137 on: April 13, 2024, 12:36:51 PM »
I'm of the camp that didn't quite catch everything he threw comedy wise, but thought he was an AMAZING actor.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1138 on: April 14, 2024, 08:59:10 PM »
The Exorcist: Believer

Not horrible, but a wholly unnecessary sequel to a movie that didn't need a sequel.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #1139 on: April 15, 2024, 03:50:56 PM »
Howl's Moving Castle: I'm late on this one. Looked amazing. Score was amazing. But honestly it's Ghibli so they don't really get points for either of those anymore; of COURSE it looked and sounded great.

Story-wise it was fairly mid-tier Ghibli for me. It felt like either they needed to spend more time on the many sub-plot threads, or jettison more of them entirely and just focus on the central handful of relationships. It was a bit messy. And the scarecrow revelation at the end just made me end the movie with a huge WTF on my face.

Still, worth a watch if only for the fantastic visuals and score. Ghibli are basically untouchable in that regard.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1140 on: April 16, 2024, 07:19:13 AM »
saw Civil War last night. kinda mid. 3/5
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1141 on: April 16, 2024, 09:26:51 AM »
The Sting (1973)

Classic.  Haven't seen it in decades.  Ticks all the boxes.  Really great to see Newman and Redford play off each other, Robert Shaw was awesome, and frankly, the rest of the cast was hella fun to watch as well.  Great stuff.  Two thumbs WAY up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1142 on: April 16, 2024, 09:30:42 AM »
Definitely an all-time fave.  Pretty much everything about that movie is perfect.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1143 on: April 21, 2024, 05:54:09 AM »
I'm of the camp that didn't quite catch everything he threw comedy wise, but thought he was an AMAZING actor.

Right, too manic for me, but just wanted to add The Fisher King and Awakenings to the list of great performances by him.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: April 21, 2024, 10:01:58 AM »
The Sting (1973)

Classic.  Haven't seen it in decades.  Ticks all the boxes.  Really great to see Newman and Redford play off each other, Robert Shaw was awesome, and frankly, the rest of the cast was hella fun to watch as well.  Great stuff.  Two thumbs WAY up.

100% this.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1145 on: April 21, 2024, 03:42:04 PM »
Being John Malkovich (1999)

Very fun and silly movie, liked it a lot.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1146 on: April 21, 2024, 06:06:50 PM »
Yeah, that was a strange one, but fun.  Also, I apparently missed a bunch of symbolism in it.  I read an analysis of it one time, talking about how Cusack's character was a puppeteer, which fit with his need to control others and being John Malkovich.  And some other stuff that went right over my head.  But I just liked it because it was so weird, and obviously Malkovich himself must've been a great sport about the whole thing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1147 on: April 22, 2024, 02:27:02 AM »
Abigail (the ballerina vampire film) - Absolute ton of fun.

Online twanky

« Reply #1148 on: April 22, 2024, 02:45:17 AM »
Back to Black. The story of Amy Winehouse....Good film but shows the problems of alcohol, drugs and the paparazzi when combined
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1149 on: April 23, 2024, 08:24:04 PM »
Hundreds of Beavers

Very accurate title.