Author Topic: Fallout  (Read 1186 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Fallout
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 08:52:00 AM »
I think she's excellent, no issues from me at all.

Maximus has taken a bit of time for me to warm to but I think it's the character more than the actor - he's indecisive, impulsive and yet sometimes slow to respond. I think that's maybe the point.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 08:56:32 AM »
I think she's excellent, no issues from me at all.

Maximus has taken a bit of time for me to warm to but I think it's the character more than the actor - he's indecisive, impulsive and yet sometimes slow to respond. I think that's maybe the point.

I agree, I think he's portraying the character, but once again, it's not enjoyable to watch for me. And those two together... ugh.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2024, 09:00:20 AM »
I agree, I think he's portraying the character, but once again, it's not enjoyable to watch for me. And those two together... ugh.
Fair enough, I've not had any problem with their interactions.

I'm also interested to see where his story takes him - he keeps hiding things from other characters presumably out of self-preservation, but it makes it hard to get a sense of what his priorities are.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2024, 02:24:11 PM »
Maximus has so much internal struggle. He is weak but finds himself getting out of tough situations in a weirdly lucky way. At least that's the case 3 episodes in.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2024, 09:18:02 AM »
Finished last night

What a fantastic finale! Really good way to end the season putting all the pieces together.  I was going into the final episode thinking the season was really good, but maybe nothing special, but that final episode elevated the entire show.  Sucks it'll be awhile before returning to this though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2024, 04:13:01 PM »
I have a whole list of shows on my watchlist but when I saw Fallout was available I clicked on it straight away. 3 episodes in and I’m loving it. The female lead is great, she also plays in Yellowjackets which is awesome as well..
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2024, 11:55:38 AM »
Pilot episode is excellent. Vibe is absolutely spot on.

Can't wait for the next gen patch to hit the PS5 version of Fallout 4 next week and return to my PS4 save/character (and enter the DLC for the first time).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2024, 01:14:22 PM »
Considering the attention to detail they put into this thing it seems odd that The Ghoul uses a weapon totally unlike anything in the game. I'm only on the second episode, but it also seems to fire different specialty rounds, insofar as I can tell. Strange choice. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen any energy weapons yet.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2024, 05:32:16 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2024, 12:35:00 PM »
Only 3 episodes in but I really enjoy it. One thing that for some reason caught me by surprise is how much humour they put into it. I have played both New Vegas and Fallout 4 so i'm kinda familiar with the overall lore but I don't know, I wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I have so far but in a good way I think. I like all the main characters even though Maximus is kinda weird. But seeing him fly and crash made me laugh so much.

Good I love Walter Goggins, he's just so perfect in any movie his in, especially playing a cowboy. He really has the looks for it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2024, 01:59:17 PM »
Fallout aka The Adventures of Zombie Boyd Crowder. I've been really enjoying this show. I tried playing one of the games, but got bored. I don't think I ever made it past the tutorial though. Looks like I should have stuck with it. Walton Goggins is a blast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2024, 02:04:31 PM »
Fallout aka The Adventures of Zombie Boyd Crowder. I've been really enjoying this show. I tried playing one of the games, but got bored. I don't think I ever made it past the tutorial though. Looks like I should have stuck with it. Walton Goggins is a blast.
I've tried playing 3 a few times, and the tutorial was the only part of it I thought was worth a damn.  :lol I always quit fairly early on. I thought 4 was great, though. The building element adds a great deal to the game, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2024, 03:11:57 PM »
I've tried playing 3 a few times, and the tutorial was the only part of it I thought was worth a damn.  :lol I always quit fairly early on. I thought 4 was great, though. The building element adds a great deal to the game, I think.

I don't know if they all start the same, but the one I played started out in the vault, something goes wrong during the tutorial, and I have to escape. Then I get to the town similar to what we see in the show, maybe it's the same one, and I don't remember anything else. I was hoping for another Skyrim, but this just didn't really grab me.  Seems I gave up too early though. Maybe it was that bracelet thing I didn't care for. I don't know. The show is cool.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2024, 03:43:14 PM »
Fallout 3 was my favorite, such a great game back in its day.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2024, 06:11:58 PM »
Just finished the show. I am not a gamer at all and have never played the game (or any of these type of games). I loved the show, awesome world building, characters and story and had a really strong emotional payoff. My one criticism is that I didn't like the choice of slow-mo action with an old music soundtrack over the top. That stylistic choice felt really jarring and out of place to me, I much preferred the serious vibe and musical score style which was the majority of the season.

Really great it is renewed for season 2.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2024, 10:55:45 PM »
Just finished the show. I am not a gamer at all and have never played the game (or any of these type of games). I loved the show, awesome world building, characters and story and had a really strong emotional payoff. My one criticism is that I didn't like the choice of slow-mo action with an old music soundtrack over the top. That stylistic choice felt really jarring and out of place to me, I much preferred the serious vibe and musical score style which was the majority of the season.

Really great it is renewed for season 2.
The old-timey music is meta. Fallout is the post-apocalyptic universe of ~1951. The soundtrack is the music from that era, and what you encounter throughout the game. From the gamer perspective it's a hoot.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Realm

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2024, 11:38:25 PM »
The old-timey music is meta. Fallout is the post-apocalyptic universe of ~1951. The soundtrack is the music from that era, and what you encounter throughout the game. From the gamer perspective it's a hoot.

Ok great. That is really good to know as I had no idea that was the case.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2024, 09:48:26 AM »

I had also wondered if the slow motion stuff was kind of a throwback to the gameplay of Fallout where you stop time or slow it down in the newer games to attack enemies.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2024, 11:29:29 AM »
I had also wondered if the slow motion stuff was kind of a throwback to the gameplay of Fallout where you stop time or slow it down in the newer games to attack enemies.
The slo-mo never jumped out at me, but it certainly is there. I just figured it was the same ultra-cinematic action that everybody uses nowadays. I'm only 3 episodes in, but I haven't seen anybody use VATS. My hunch is that you're exactly right, though. If they're not going to use VATS in the series then they'll use slow motion to give it the same feel. 
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2024, 12:07:18 PM »
The slo-mo never jumped out at me, but it certainly is there. I just figured it was the same ultra-cinematic action that everybody uses nowadays. I'm only 3 episodes in, but I haven't seen anybody use VATS. My hunch is that you're exactly right, though. If they're not going to use VATS in the series then they'll use slow motion to give it the same feel.

VATS kind of makes no sense from a TV perspective, makes a lot of sense for gaming so that was at least my thought of how they show it. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2024, 08:30:26 PM »
I really liked season 1 and I'm glad season 2 is good to go. This was a fun show with a solid storyline.

I have a magic the gathering deck built around "The Master, Transcedent". Is it possible he shows up in season 2, for any fans that know that much about the lore (I don't know much)?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2024, 08:42:27 PM »
The Master appears in Fallout 1, which takes place in 2161 - 2162. (spoiler alert: he dies)
The show takes place in 2296. Never say never, but I wouldn't expect to see him.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2024, 06:08:27 AM »
Finally took the time for the first episode. It felt at bit long for an introduction but that was pretty good and enjoyable  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2024, 08:26:27 AM »
After three episodes I was quite pleased that they didn't feel the need to spell stuff out. They're content to let the game stuff reside with the game stuff and simply tell a story within the universe. Then they went and manufactured some contrivance about some chem that keeps ghouls from turning feral. That's the sort of thing they majorly hacks me off. Huge disappointment for me.

Also, it's a shame they couldn't get Stephen Russell to voice the Mr. Handy. It just wasn't quite right.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2024, 08:33:40 AM »
Then they went and manufactured some contrivance about some chem that keeps ghouls from turning feral.

I didn't quite understand this.  Since the show is supposed to be canon, I assume this mechanic is just something we've never seen in the games because, well, you don't play as a ghoul?  But I kind of thought "feral" meant, well, feral and not some state from lack of treatment.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2024, 02:54:40 PM »
After three episodes I was quite pleased that they didn't feel the need to spell stuff out. They're content to let the game stuff reside with the game stuff and simply tell a story within the universe. Then they went and manufactured some contrivance about some chem that keeps ghouls from turning feral. That's the sort of thing they majorly hacks me off. Huge disappointment for me.
Why does it bother you? Like, they add new things in each game, this is a continuation of that.

Also, it's a shame they couldn't get Stephen Russell to voice the Mr. Handy. It just wasn't quite right.
But... Matt Berry! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2024, 02:58:37 PM »
I assumed he was drinking RadAway. Was it something else?
I imagine if the show goes on long enough he’ll run out of the stuff, turn feral, and Lucy will have to put him down.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2024, 03:09:33 PM »
I didn't quite understand this.  Since the show is supposed to be canon, I assume this mechanic is just something we've never seen in the games because, well, you don't play as a ghoul?  But I kind of thought "feral" meant, well, feral and not some state from lack of treatment.

Feral ghouls are what you get when radiation or isolation causes the higher brain functions to atrophy and shut down, so its something a normal Ghoul can suffer from given the right circumstances.

In my headcanon, its not so much that all Ghouls HAVE to have the chems or turn feral, moreso that once you DO start turning feral, the chems might halt the process or give a boost to the nervous system to keep you relatively sound of mind (which is ultimately how the chem "Jet" functions: its a nervous system booster/hallucinogenic).
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2024, 06:05:56 PM »
The Master appears in Fallout 1, which takes place in 2161 - 2162. (spoiler alert: he dies)
The show takes place in 2296. Never say never, but I wouldn't expect to see him.

Ahh, thanks for the info!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2024, 06:09:00 AM »
I finished this yesterday, really good series although I thought the finale, while still good, was a bit of a letdown. But it setup season 2 nicely.

But I'm still missing the supermutants and the radscorpions. And a deathclaw would have been nice.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2024, 08:28:32 AM »
But I'm still missing the supermutants and the radscorpions. And a deathclaw would have been nice.

Probably my biggest negative about the show's portrayal of the wasteland, I'm guessing the are saving those for next season. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2024, 08:32:48 AM »
If they truly wanted to replicate the fallout experience, lucy should have died brutally in the first episode followed by the next episode restarting the story.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman