Author Topic: Neighbor Etiquette Question  (Read 2596 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Neighbor Etiquette Question
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »
Ok, so on this past Sunday, my wife and I were clearing out a room, and we have this big old TV that needed to be disposed of. As we've done before, my wife tell me to put a free sign on it at the end of out driveway. Great.

So as we were bringing it out, my neighbor across the street comes over. Mind you I have no issues with the guy. His family has been here as long as we have (19 years). Any way after some small talk he mentions that he has an old TV too. I do what I feel is the neighborly thing and tell him to bring it over and put it next to mine.

So when I get home from work early Monday afternoon, my TV is gone, and his is still there. Well, it's now Wednesday and his is still there at the end of MY driveway.

Last night, I was complaining to my wife as to the fact that is it was the opposite situation, I would not leave my TV in his yard if his was picked up. I just think it's rude. My wife told my that since I invited him to leave it there, that I should stop complaining.

Again, I have no issues with my neighbor, and this certainly isn't going to change that. But my wife and I have totally opposite views on this.

What say you, DTF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Neighbor Etiquette Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
I'd probably be annoyed but I would just do the passive thing and probably take it to a recycling center.

I think I would've just avoided letting him put it on my property to begin with.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
Well, my motto is "Tend My Own Garden".  If it was my TV sitting at the end of your driveway, I would have come over and talked to you about it a long time ago.  Let you voice your opinion.   But absent that, I kind of think that you have to wait a reasonable time and then the next time you see him ask, "what's the plan with that?".
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:14:10 AM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 11:09:32 AM »
Well, it was a spur of the moment thing. He mentioned it so I thought it was very cool of me  ;D to say, sure drop it next to mine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
Give him a week.  If it's still there do what Stadler said.  Ask him his gameplan for it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »
Does your town's trash service make pickup requests? Maybe you can give them a call and just have them take it away. I could drop a washing machine at my curb, call the city, and it'll be gone within 48 hours at no expense to me (taxes).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
If after a week you get nowhere, you may have to shit in his yard before he starts to take this seriously.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 11:22:22 AM »
I probably would have let him leave his TV by his own driveway to begin with and then put up signs alleging his TV is haunted, just to make sure mine got take first :lol

On a serious note, I agree with king, a week seems right.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »
I wouldn't make a big deal of it. But then again, I wouldn't have offered to let him put his next to mine.  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
I would let it sit there for a little while longer. With a free sign on it, I don't think it will take all that much longer for a junk scavenger to pick it up. Free  Stuff that I have put at the end of my driveway never lasts very long.

Even though it is annoying, I try my best to keep things cool with people that I have to see everyday and live so close too.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:23 PM »
Something something shit something something cereal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
Put a listing on craigslist under free shit. Failing that, next time you see him ask him to move it to in front of his house. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, hence waiting until I happened to bump into him out in the yard or something.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »
If after a week you get nowhere, you may have to shit in his yard before he starts to take this seriously.

I'm glad I live in a world where there is a Coz.   :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
Put a listing on craigslist under free shit. Failing that, next time you see him ask him to move it to in front of his house. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, hence waiting until I happened to bump into him out in the yard or something.

No big deal at all. It was all more or less to settle the discussion between my wife and I. My plan is that if it there when I get home from work next Monday, I'm just going to put it in his yard. I think that's reasonable.

But if it were me, once I saw HIS TV gone, I would've already taken mine back out of HIS yard.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 02:09:42 PM »
Something something shit something something cereal.

:)  It seemed like a reasonable escalation of the situation.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
TAC, you're going to have to challenge him to a feat of strength.  There's just no other way to settle this.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 09:58:17 PM »

Yep. just not in the same neighbourhood.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 01:24:41 AM »
I would give the week as well. But like someone mentioned, there should be a city pick up service to dispose of it

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 09:41:10 AM »
I think you should find a wife who agrees with everything you say!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
For gas and tolls, I could be convinced to come shit in this guy's yard for you.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 11:22:19 AM »
For gas and tolls, I could be convinced to come shit in this guy's yard for you.

I just snarfed water all over my computer screen.   

Sounds like the basis for a business plan!!!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 11:36:14 AM »

I just snarfed water all over my computer screen.   

Sounds like the basis for a business plan!!!

United Poo Service. What can brown do for you?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 12:05:44 AM »
I have the best visual right now of Coz squatting in your neighbor's yard :lol

Anyway, what Bill said.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 07:30:07 AM »
Dear Lord
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
I just keep checking this thread to see if you've taken a dump in his yard yet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
I won't but I'm getting to the point where I'll PM Coz directions to my town..

I still can't believe it's in my yard. Anyway, as I said, it'll be a week on Sunday, so Monday when I get home, I'll just bring it back over and dump (it) in his yard.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »
So anyway, I came home from work today and my neighbor was out. My son and I carried the TV over and put it in the back of his driveway.

My wife was still all you should've said something before you brought it over. I was like WTF, I did the courteous thing by inviting him to put it next to mine in the first place. And I also carried it back over to his yard. It's been a week!!!

Coz, you're welcome to check out the DTF world map for my location!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »
Honestly, the guy should've kept the TV on his own property.   After all, it ended up there anyway.   :lol

Regarding neighbor etiquette, my neighbors next door don't know the meaning of the word.  They act like fucking hillbillies who don't know what neighbors are.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:44:41 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »
I have a neighbor who also did something quite selfish as well. Our primary home sits on a huge spot of land. We have about 10 acres that are not wooded, and that we tend too. So as a result there is a great deal of landscaping that needs mulched (about 10,000 sqft). So we ordered each year about 100 yards or so. If you were buying bags of mulch it would be about 800 or so to give you a frame of reference. Anyway, two years ago, the company who dropped it off came early when we were not home, so they dumped it outside of our gate in a turn around area of our driveway. We have a fairly long drive, but you could see it from the street. Our landscaper came and used a front-end loader to move the mulch to the various parts of the yard where his crew needed it. The day they started on the project it began to storm, so they stopped for the day. It rained for a few days, and he couldn't come back out. By then he was onto other projects and couldn't get back out for another week. I was out and looked at the amount left over, and realized that instead of the 100 yards of mulch, the company delivered nearly 200 yards of mulch (which we paid for). When they had called, my wife had given them the wrong information. So I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the leftover mulch. I decided when the landscapers came back out that I was going to have them create some new beds around our lake. They came and finished the original job, but I still had nearly 100 yards leftover, so they scheduled to come out the next week to do the new beds for me. That job would take no more than probably 40 yards. My neighbor, whom I rarely speak with stopped over and asked me what I was going to do with all that leftover mulch. I told him what had happened, and he asked if he could have a little that was leftover. Now he didn't ask and offer to pay for it. Although he's a cardiologist, he didn't even offer. I told him he could have some of what was left. He assured me he was only needing some around a couple of trees near his driveway. I told him when the landscapers would be back to finish my job. We then went out of town, and when the landscaper came to do the work he called me and told me there was no mulch. Seemed my neighbor had rented a Bobcat and had used all my fucking mulch.  What an asshole! I had told him he could have what was left over, and when the job was supposed to be done. When I confronted him his response was "My bad!" NO SHIT! He then had the balls to ask if he could pay for part of it. I don't need his money. It was never about the money. Then the asshole had the balls to ask me this year if I was going to have any leftover mulch. "Fuck no! I'm changing over to Pine Straw Mulch!" which I did.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »
What a dickbag.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »
I think I'd ask Coz to take a shit on the TV while it's in their driveway.  That's like a coup de'grace.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
Coz, you're welcome to check out the DTF world map for my location!

If I remember right, you work near where Joker's used to be, right?

I think I'd ask Coz to take a shit on the TV while it's in their driveway.  That's like a coup de'grace.

Nice touch.  I'm down.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
Neighbors can really suck.  I live on a one-way street where parking is only allowed on one side of the street.  The guy three houses down has 4 cars in his household, a one-car-length driveway and a one-car garage full of sh*t.  So, no cars can be parked inside.  On any given night, he and his two kids park their cars on the street.  Inevitably, every morning, there is a car parked directly in front of my driveway and my next-door neighbor's driveway causing us to either have to back into our driveways or do a 10-point turn to get out of our driveways in the morning.  In the past 6 months, I've backed out and hit a car that has parked there (not one of my neighbor's cars) and the aunt of my next-door neighbor has backed out and hit his kid's car. 

THEY STILL PARK THERE!!!

If I could get away with it, I'd by myself a beater (crappy car) and back out of my driveway at full-speed right into one of his cars.  I'd do it every day until he decided he should walk an extra fifty feet and park his cars towards the end of the street.  In all seriousness, I was approached by one of my town's councilmen about re-election the other day.  He asked me if there was anything he could do.  I explained what happens every day and he said he'd see if he could get the curbs for the spots directly across from my driveway and my next-door neighbor's driveway painted yellow to make it illegal to park there.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 12:57:35 PM »
Then the asshole had the balls to ask me this year if I was going to have any leftover mulch. 

THAT is unbelievable.

...parking story...

That blows.

I had another issue that also involved neighbors and parking. Next door over, we had some young people that lived there, and across the street is another family (they live next door to the neighbor in the OP).
When both of these households have people over they not only parked in front of my yard, but ON it. Now I don't mind if two tires are slightly on my grass, but ALL FOUR?? Fuck that!
So I went to Lowe's and bought some orange stakes and put them on that part of my yard. They got the message. My wife was mortified that I would do that. The people next to me were punks, but the folks across the street are educated, and not only that, the guy would shit if anyone did anything to his perfect lawn.  Where's the fucking decency?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »
We've only ever had one real issue with our neighbors behind us, but it was definitely a richard manuever on their part. Our backyard ends and then there's a steep hill down a few feet to where their driveway begins. We had a fence along the top of the hill, but the property lines say everything up to their driveway is ours. This included a row of trees that gave some shade to the backyard and, more importantly, gave us privacy in our backyard as it would otherwise be very easy for everyone driving up the street to look into our backyard (we live on the corner). Long story short, we came home one day and the neighbors had just gone and had them all cut down. Unfortunately not much we could do once the trees were gone.
Photobucket sucks.