Author Topic: List (and rank, if you wish) your DTF discoveries.  (Read 3613 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
List (and rank, if you wish) your DTF discoveries.
« on: September 10, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
I’m not sure if there has been a thread like this before but here goes.

So since joining this bountiful community I have discovered many bands that I will be eternally grateful for. It’s so nice to have somewhere I can go, with like-minded individuals, who just have an unquenchable thirst for new music. Due to this I wanted to list (and rank) all the great bands I’ve discovered in the few years I’ve been frequenting this forum.

Now a few of these bands I was already aware of, and may have even heard an album, but it was this forum that really got me to delve deeper and cement my love for them. I’ll name which ones as I list them. The majority however are bands that I had never even heard of until joining DTF.

Please use this to list and rank your own DTF discoveries as it’s all for the good of the people.

1. The Dear Hunter. Far and away my #1, I’m not sure if I actually maybe first heard of them via Progarchives but this forum increased my awareness (and love) 10 fold.

2. Devin Townsend. I already had a few Strapping albums and also Terria before joining this forum but my love bloomed after reading Ultimetalhead’s discography thread.

3. Haken. Not a lot to say, incredible.

4. Thank You, Scientist. One of the first things I did when I started coming to this forum was look for bands similar to Coheed and Cambria. The two names that came up the most often were The Dear Hunter and Thank You, Scientist. The rest is history.

5. Native Construct. I know they only have one album and I have played it a lot but it’s just so good.

6. Leprous. I only got around to checking out these guys properly earlier this year. Bilateral amazed me and I’m also loving The Congregation. This is one of those bands that I am planning to take my time with and pick up an album every few months until I have them all.

7. The Mars Volta. I have been aware of this band for years but never checked them out. At this point I only have two albums and only recently has De-Loused clicked for me. I love it.

8. Riverside. Another that I had never heard of. I ended up getting the majority of their albums in a short period of time. They took a long time to click to be fair and they really only work for me when I’m in a certain mood. I’ve written on the band thread about the perfect setting and time that helped me ‘get’ this band.

9. Porcupine Tree. I was also aware of these (obviously) before. I really only LOVE Deadwing but I only have three albums. Not ventured much into his solo stuff yet but this is another band I want to take my time with and enjoy.

10. Odd Logic. Seriously, Penny for your Thoughts by this band is amazing. I have another two by them which aren’t as good but their latest is enough to secure this spot.

11. Oceans of Slumber. I only have their latest but god damn it is good. I am seeing them supporting Ne Obliviscaris in a little under a month and cannot wait. Beautiful vocals.

12. Earthside. Their debut is just so good, I’m still in the honeymoon phase but can’t get enough of it. The fact it is grandiose and has orchestral parts just does so much for me.

13. Shining. I only got their two most recent albums in the last few months but they have had a fair amount of spins, would love to see them live.

14. Sikth. Sick band that sound weird as fuck. Another that I would love to see live.

15. David Maxim Micic. He’s obviously been talked about a lot on here and championed by a few of you guys (you know who you are). Really cool stuff.

16. The Ocean. I only have Pelagial so far, which is so good. I checked this out after Parama sent a song from it in someone’s roulette and I love it.

17. Mandroid Echostar. A perfect mix of Avenged Sevenfold and Coheed and Cambria really. Pretty solid stuff, I enjoy them a lot.

18. Myrath. Impulse bought one of their albums after listening to them for about 30 seconds. Don’t regret it all but I do regret not checking out anymore albums at this point.

19. Fair to Midland. So I checked out The Wife, The Kids and the White Picket Fence after hearing a lot of talk about the song. Straight away picked up the album. Great stuff.

20. Caligula’s Horse. Heard Bloom and Rust at an early stage of someone’s roulette I participated in a while back, both solid songs from a great album.

21. Vektor. Great progressive/blackened thrash. Not a lot more to say.

22. Liquid Tension Experiment. I’ve checked out a few of the DT side project stuff and this easily the best. Haven’t really played it to death but it is great whenever I listen to it.

23. Ne Obliviscaris. As I mentioned before, I’m going to see them in a few weeks, should hopefully be a solid night of metal.

24. Pomegranate Tiger. All instrumental stuff doesn’t often grab me but this is a perfect example of the instrumental stuff I love.

25. The Contortionist. Only have their latest and only got it a few weeks ago but it’s already on heavy rotation.

26. Agalloch. Heavy Opeth vibes at times, which is something I’ve been looking for since visiting DTF.

27. Tesseract. I’ve got to admit although I like this band a fair bit I don’t think they are as good as some people make out (kind of like Periphery, although I like Periphery more).

28. Fates Warning. Got Theories of Flight because the FW thread was on fire after that album came out. I like it a fair bit and do enjoy it a bit more every listen. 

29. Closure in Moscow. I checked out Pink Lemonade on Train’s recommendation and this is ok but I wouldn’t say I love it yet.

So there we have it, a huge wall of text that I in no way apologise for.
]

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: List (and rank, if you wish) your DTF discoveries.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
Not going to rank order or explain, but:

Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Riverside
The Dear Hunter (well, that was more learning about them from someone I knew via the forum)
Karnivool (same deal as TDH)
Fair to Midland
dredg
ISIS
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
i'd be here all day if i wanted to list everything out tbh  :lol
glad i got you to check out the ocean though  :tup

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 02:37:18 PM »
i'd be here all day if i wanted to list everything out tbh  :lol
glad i got you to check out the ocean though  :tup

Yea, I mean listing EVERY band you ever checked out because of DTF would be a hard task. Maybe just stick to the ones that made the biggest impact.

I mean, only the top 7-8 in my list have made a massive impact.

This is a 'if you have a spare hour to kill and love to type' kinda thread  :lol

I'm sure there are others I've checked out due to you banging on about them Parama (stuff like East of the Wall, Intronaut, others I can't think of) but The Ocean was easily my favourite.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »
My discoveries are usually made via Last.fm + DTF, often I see it on Last and decide to check it out after someone mention it somewhere or send in roulette.

The Dear Hunter
The Antlers - I heard of them before but I checked them after senecadawg sent them in one roulette. and they became one of my best discoveries of this year
Haken
Leprous - one of my favorite bands atm
CHVRCHES - who would say I'd like something like this :D
Susanne Sundfør
Beardfish - actually, I discovered them on Nick's radio show but I wouldn't find it if I wasn't here, right :P
Spock's Beard

There are obviously many more but I don't know if I discovered them here or somewhere else so I'll stop with this.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline krands85

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:01:22 PM »
Haken - Awesome, one of my favourite bands at the moment. 4 fantastic albums and and a great EP too - they haven't really put a foot wrong yet.

Tesseract - Another great young British band. Altered State is one of my favourite albums of recent years and the other 2 are really solid as well. Unfortunately they parted ways with their vocalist on Altered State and joined back up with their original vocalist. He's a great singer too, but I absolutely love Ashe O'Hara's voice and what he did on that second album.

Leprous - Great prog band from Norway with really interesting music. I love their debut full length album and the opening track is one of my favourite songs at the moment. I think most people prefer their second and third albums, but I find the quality drops off a bit. I really enjoyed their latest album that came out last year though.

Transatlantic - Not much to say here, except that I seem to enjoy their last album Kaleidoscope more than most. Maybe because I'm a bit newer to the band.

Eden's Curse - Underrated melodic metal band, with really catchy songs. Incredible guitar player and I really like their current vocalist. Looking forward to their upcoming album and especially the added keyboards that are apparently present.

Alcest - I think I'd seen the thread about them on here for a while, but never really looked into them until I saw they were supporting Opeth. Sadly the sound for them during that gig was awful. Still not as familiar with all their songs and albums as I'd like, but they're good - something a bit different from what I usually listen to these days. Looking forward to their upcoming album too.

Frost* - Milliontown is a brilliant album and Experiments in Mass Appeal is pretty good too. Unfortunately their latest album Falling Satellites did nothing for me :(
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:01:15 PM »
What are The Antlers like Tomi? Any similar bands as a point of reference?

Krands, I've been checking out odd bits of Alcest recently and they are definitely something I'm shaping up to purchase before the year is out. Never heard of Eden's Curse, I'll give them a look.

For some reason I've recently had both Karnivool and Katatonia at the forefront of my mind as bands to check out. Katatonia have the Opeth comparisons which is cool, they have a pretty big back catalogue though so it's hard to know where to start.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:03:03 PM »
they're similar to The Horns and The Tusks but more elaborate and gaudy

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »

It took me way longer than it should have to realise you were joking  :loser:

I've just checked their Spotify and Beirut are under 'related artists'. My girlfriend loves Beirut so I might give them a play when she's around, see what she thinks. She generally hates the music I listen to so I'll give them a go. There's only so many times I can try to explain the brilliance of Ziltoid before she leaves me  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »
I couldn't even begin. Least to say, of the 500 bands in my library, at least 400 are a direct or indirect result of DTF (that includes those I found through Lady Obscure)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
The Antlers' Hospice is one of the most emotional albums I've ever heard. It's indie rock/dream pop. I can't really compare it to anything because I don't listen to anything too similar.
Katatonia changed a few styles during their career. First is death/doom, second gothic, third alternative/progressive and their latest is probably the most progressive so far. I's not my favorite but I recommend you Viva Emptiness, it's pretty heavy album, between their gothic and progressive eras. 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 04:43:08 PM »
I couldn't even begin. Least to say, of the 500 bands in my library, at least 400 are a direct or indirect result of DTF (that includes those I found through Lady Obscure)

Really??? That's 80% of your library!! It really is a gold mine of music and Dream Theater as a band clearly attract fans of all sorts of music. You wouldn't get this much diversity on a straight up metal band forum, I wouldn't have thought.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »
The Antlers' Hospice is one of the most emotional albums I've ever heard. It's indie rock/dream pop. I can't really compare it to anything because I don't listen to anything too similar.
Katatonia changed a few styles during their career. First is death/doom, second gothic, third alternative/progressive and their latest is probably the most progressive so far. I's not my favorite but I recommend you Viva Emptiness, it's pretty heavy album, between their gothic and progressive eras.

Cheers dude, I mentioned earlier that Spotify says they are similar to Beirut. Beirut aren't a bad band, not particularly my cup of tea but my girlfriend loves them so I've listened to a fair bit. You might like them.

I'll dive in somewhere with Katatonia at some point soon. Cheers for the recommendation  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 03:33:51 AM »
Going to exclude roulettes because that list would be huge. The biggest one I can recall is probably Katatonia, thanks tomislav :tup

Actually think the majority of my discoveries came through Spotify and Reddit. But a lot of the time I would check out a band knowing in the back of my head that somewhere along the line, someone on DTF probably mentioned it aswell. This band really does attract all kinds of music fans.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 03:56:49 AM »
Fuck, I wouldn't know where to start, so many.  DTF!  :hefdaddy
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 04:12:47 AM »
Actually think the majority of my discoveries came through Spotify and Reddit.

That 'Discover Weekly' Spotify playlist they do is really good actually. They've been throwing some real curve balls my way. Lots if bands I have never heard that actually sound similar to the bands I'm in to.

Not like some where its like 'The Offspring recommend because you like Cannibal Corpse'  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 06:32:24 PM »
I was thinking about this thread the other day and thought I'd update it with newer discoveries and also to reflect how my love for some bands has grown, or faded. This is really just a list of the ones that have made a serious impact.

1. The Dear Hunter.

2. Devin Townsend.

3. Haken.

4. Leprous.

5. Pain of Salvation.

6. Thank You, Scientist.

7. The Ocean.

8. The Hirsch Effekt.

9. Caligula’s Horse.

10. Riverside.

11. Steven Wilson.

12. Oceans of Slumber.

13. Between the Buried and Me.

14. The Mars Volta.

15. Porcupine Tree.

16. Frost*.

17. Artificial Language.

18. Intronaut.

19. Alcest.

20. Soen.

21. David Maxim Micic.

22. Odd Logic.

23. Earthside.

24. Shining.

Plus, of course a whole host more. I could go on forever to be honest. This forum has literally been the best thing for my ever expanding thirst for music  :hefdaddy

Offline j

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »
A few, not ranked:

Karnivool
Dredg
Fair to Midland
Isis
Ghost
Boards of Canada
OSI
The Pineapple Thief
Transatlantic
Frost
Porcupine Tree

Many others and even more I haven't yet had a chance to check out.  Thanks guys!

-J

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
Devin Townsend
Neal Morse
Alice Cooper
Marty Friedman solo
Martin Orford

The only ones that matter.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Alice Cooper

Did you really discover Alice Cooper via DTF?  :rollin

Good to see Devin Townsend on there though  :tup I know you got sent Deep Peace, how is your journey into his back catalogue going?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 05:16:23 AM »
Soul Enema

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:40:27 AM »

It took me way longer than it should have to realise you were joking  :loser:

I've just checked their Spotify and Beirut are under 'related artists'. My girlfriend loves Beirut so I might give them a play when she's around, see what she thinks. She generally hates the music I listen to so I'll give them a go. There's only so many times I can try to explain the brilliance of Ziltoid before she leaves me  :lol

Beirut is kind of an odd comparison to The Antlers.

I often compare them to artists like Neverending White Lights and Ours more than something like Beirut, but then again, their recent music is somewhat a departure from Hospice.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »
As Parama said, this would take all day so just sticking to the most important ones

Alcest
Anathema
The Dear Hunter
Dream the Electric Sleep
Dredg
Frost*
Haken
IQ
Karmakanic
Mutemath
Pure Reason Revolution
The Reign of Kindo
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
Alice Cooper

Good to see Devin Townsend on there though  :tup I know you got sent Deep Peace, how is your journey into his back catalogue going?

Alice, yes.  I had been familiar with the biggest three or four hits (I'm Eighteen, School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy) and, because of the 80's schlock, largely considered him a cartoon, but TAC sent me "Halo of Flies" and I was blown away.  I bought one of those "complete album" boxes, with the first five albums in it (and I bought a second, with the next five, too) for like $16, and  I've been blown away.  Maybe not the first two, but "Love It To Death", "Killer" and "School's Out" are excellent.  It's like the best of Kiss, Sweet, and David Bowie dropped into a blender.    "Sun Arise"?   GTFO.  Killer tune, and HoF is way better even  than I remember.

As for the DT journey; I bought By A Thread but because it's DVD I haven't had a ton of a chance to really dig in.  I was trying to get the individual albums, but by sheer luck, I got a copy of Contain Us cheap, and it came this past weekend, so I'm hopefully going to hit Devy hard this coming weekend.  Let me rephrase that.  :)   I'm pretty excited, frankly. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »
So far, IQ and Mystery are the big 2.  :hefdaddy
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
The biggest ones are:

Mastodon (What feels like eons years ago, when Crack the Skye was released)
Karnivool

Became massive fans of both bands thanks to DTF.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
Not sure if there are any....

I suppose Haken, but I've not exactly listened to anything yet, but I've made a note to look into it for 6 or 7 years now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
Alice Cooper

Alice, yes.  I had been familiar with the biggest three or four hits (I'm Eighteen, School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy) and, because of the 80's schlock, largely considered him a cartoon, but TAC sent me "Halo of Flies" and I was blown away.  I bought one of those "complete album" boxes, with the first five albums in it (and I bought a second, with the next five, too) for like $16, and  I've been blown away.  Maybe not the first two, but "Love It To Death", "Killer" and "School's Out" are excellent.  It's like the best of Kiss, Sweet, and David Bowie dropped into a blender.    "Sun Arise"?   GTFO.  Killer tune, and HoF is way better even  than I remember.

Nice. Been waiting for your impressions.

And The Sweet!  :hefdaddy
Awesome band!

Desolation Boulevard made The TAC Top 50.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
I have no idea. I've been here for like 15 years.

I can say the most recent one, however, is Orphaned Land. Thanks.

I'm also aware of the irony of having to introduce an Israeli band to an Israeli guy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:18:03 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
Of the bands that I've made multiple purchases, I would say Avantasia and Threshold.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
I have been discovering some amazing stuff from ChuckSteak in the album thread  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
I couldn't even begin.

This... I'd probably hit the max character limit on 3-4 posts.  Between roulette's (as a host an participant), Top 50s, the B&B podcast, WPAPU (when the fucker actually did it!), and side-bar sharing, I'd say there's a solid 500 albums I could blame on DTF.

But not one of them from ChuckSteak.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »
Had this thread been in my old home, my response would have been beyond enormous.

Since I have been here, I have only discovered 2 new artists for me.

Kimbra - first album only

Caligula's Horse - whole catalog (Bloom is my favorite)

I am starting to read some of the roulette threads (namely firewings 'kattlebox') and have a few things I want to check out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »
Actually, upon reflection, it's probably close to 500 artists I could blame DTF on.  I've got close to 2000 albums in my library, and I don't think it'd be a stretch to say almost 1/2 are from DTF.  11,000 of my 18,000 songs in iTunes were added since 2011.  Not to mention the few hundred albums I have saved in Spotify.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
Had this thread been in my old home, my response would have been beyond enormous.

Since I have been here, I have only discovered 2 new artists for me.

Kimbra - first album only

Caligula's Horse - whole catalog (Bloom is my favorite)

I am starting to read some of the roulette threads (namely firewings 'kattlebox') and have a few things I want to check out.

That thread has already blown the prog doors wide open for me. I will be drowning in music to buy for the rest of the year.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"