Author Topic: Trying to make a Portland-style "90s coffee shop" playlist. Any suggestions?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
I was in grade school for most of the '90s, so I know basically jack shit about the bands and albums that were big with all those crunchy hipsters. I'm trying to make a playlist for when I'm at work, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
What, no one has any idea? Someone here must be older than me. :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alternative-90s-Various-Artists/dp/B00006GF8A

Is that the right kinda stuff? I was expecting to see Neutral Milk Hotel in there, for starters.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
You want to get some classic 90's Brit pop on there. There's bound to be a Brit pop playlist on Spotify.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I grew up through the 90's, but I simply have no idea what 'Portland Style 90's coffee shop' playlist means whatsoever!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Like indie music. I just happen to know there was a time when "the dream of the '90s were alive in Portland" (yes, I know that's from the show, but what-fuckin-ever). And it was the coffee shop scene, poet-guitarists coming and singing about shit to hipster-y teens who want to save the whales, etc.

Online twosuitsluke

Don't blame the whales  :yarr

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Songs like Mr. Jones?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Songs like Mr. Jones?

Bingo. I imagine there'd probably also be some early Death Cab in there, along with NMH as I said, Smashing Pumpkins, probably Apples in Stereo...the problem is I don't really know what else. I just know there's a certain collection of artists and genres that make up this category of '90s hipster-y stuff.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Trying to make a Portland-style "90s coffee shop" playlist. Any suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:09:56 AM »
I assume you're going for popular tunes and not just rock/metal? Here's some candidates.

Radiohead - Street Spirit
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You (Theme from Friends)
The Connels - '74 - '75
Gin Blossoms - Follow You Down

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Trying to make a Portland-style "90s coffee shop" playlist. Any suggestions?
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:39:26 AM »
Ah, I got heaps of random 90's tunes for ya;

Fuel - Shimmer
Semisonic - Closing Time
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Blur - Coffee and TV
The Cardigans - Lovefool
Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
Pulp - Disco 2000, Common People
The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
Watchmen - Stero
Blind Melon - No Rain
Cake - The Distance
Beck - Where It's At
Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy
Everclear - Santa Monica
Bush - Glycerine

Offline Art

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 05:44:57 AM »
I have a couple playlists with 90´s stuff on spotify. But you can also find a lot of playlists on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=90+%CC%81s+alternative+rock+playlist

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 06:04:36 AM »
Thanks all! :tup

I have a couple playlists with 90´s stuff on spotify. But you can also find a lot of playlists on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=90+%CC%81s+alternative+rock+playlist

I tried a bunch of YouTube playlists, I just didn't feel like they quite got what I was going for. However, I will check out your link. Thank you.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 06:08:16 AM »
I don't know why but this thread has made me want to listen to 90's alternative all day :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 06:23:16 AM »
Yeah, this thread is bringing back heaps of good memories for me.  Here's some more;

New Radicals - You Get What You Give
Hole - Celebrity Skin
Supergrass - Caught By the Fuzz
REM - Losing My Religion
Underworld - Born Slippy
Prodigy - Breathe
Weezer - Buddy Holly
Everclear - Santa Monica
The Wallflowers - One Headlight
Everything But the Girl - Missing
Nada Surf - Popular
Reel Big Fish - Sellout
Reef - Place Your Hands
Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life
Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight

Might make my own nostalgic 90's playlist at this rate haha.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 07:07:01 AM »
SD, you looking for more acoustic style of rocking style?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 07:08:27 AM »
Throw some Alanis Morrisette in there for good measure too. She was huge in the mid 90s.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
Toad The Wet Sprocket - Walk On The Ocean
Toad The Wet Sprocket - All I Want
4 Non Blondes - What's up
Collective Soul - Shine
Ugly Kid Joe - Cats in the Cradle (cover)
Gin Blossoms - Found Out About You
Gin Blossoms - Til I Hear It From You
The Wallflowers - One Headlight
The Wallflowers - 6th Avenue Heartache
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
Shawn Mullins - Lullaby
Candlebox - Far Behind
Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home

let me know if you need more.  There were about a million of these in the 90s.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »
Most of the songs listed are ones I didn't even like when they were out.

Toad is pretty good, and I liked Everclear and Gin Blossoms.  Also, that Runaway Train album from Soul Asylum is killer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »
Yeah, this thread is bringing back heaps of good memories for me.

geez, you aren't kidding.  I'm having serious flashbacks to college/university here.  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »
New Radicals - You Get What You Give

This song reminds me of my last year in school so bad!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:12 AM »
Sponge-Plowed

My fave "90's" track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
Lisa Loeb - Stay
Bon Jovi - Always

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »
The Cardigans - Lovefool
Blind Melon - No Rain
Cake - The Distance

Kade..the Cardigans??? Actually I LOVE that song! ;D
As much as No Rain is awesome, I bought that album and I thought it blew.
And that Cake tune is awesome!!

Hole - Celebrity Skin

Never got Celebrity Skin, but Live Through This is a phenomenal album.

Throw some Alanis Morrisette in there for good measure too. She was huge in the mid 90s.
I wore out Jagged Little Pill. True story.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
Boy, no kidding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 03:01:36 PM »
The Cardigans - Lovefool
Blind Melon - No Rain
Cake - The Distance

Kade..the Cardigans??? Actually I LOVE that song! ;D
And that Cake tune is awesome!!

Hole - Celebrity Skin

Never got Celebrity Skin, but Live Through This is a phenomenal album.

I wore out Jagged Little Pill. True story.

lol, wasn't a big fan of that Cardigans song, it was huge over here and just one that popped in my head for some reason.  Only knew the hits from Hole, but they were all pretty solid.  Malibu was another cracker.

The Cake is indeed awesome, the other cool one from them was Short Skirt Long Jacket, and their cover of I Will Survive was pretty nice too.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »
SD, you looking for more acoustic style of rocking style?

I'm veering toward acoustic. All I know is post-grunge like Third Eye Blind or Hives falls outside of the taxonomy I'm trying to learn more about.

Oh, I probably should've mentioned that to everyone earlier: this is as much for listening pleasure as it is me trying to educate myself about a certain musical scene in the post-Nirvana (but pre-Britney Spears) '90s. Thanks all for your contributions so far!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 01:36:53 PM »
The Rembrandts -- Waiting To Be Opened
Ben Folds Five -- Brick
Dada -- Star You Are
Counting Crows -- All My Friends And Lovers
CPR -- That House
Guster -- Barrel Of A Gun
Jackson Browne -- I'll Do Anything
Jars Of Clay -- Flood
Jeffrey Gaines -- Headmasters Of The Mind (Studio version)
Marc Cohn -- Walking In Memphis
Melissa Etheridge -- Bring Me Some Water
Neil Finn -- Sinner
Sarah McLachlan -- Ice Cream
Sheryl Crow -- Home
Sting -- Fields Of Gold
Toad The Wet Sprocket -- The Nightingale Song

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Like indie music. I just happen to know there was a time when "the dream of the '90s were alive in Portland" (yes, I know that's from the show, but what-fuckin-ever). And it was the coffee shop scene, poet-guitarists coming and singing about shit to hipster-y teens who want to save the whales, etc.

No offense, it's purely my taste and my taste alone, but I can't think of a playlist I'd rather not listen to more than that. 

I have mental pictures of Michael Imperioli on the Sopranos smashing a guitar over some hipster's head and calling him "Paul Fucking McCartney!"

Haha, having said that, I do dig many of the songs in this thread (though I don't think all of them apply to the OP). 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »

No offense, it's purely my taste and my taste alone, but I can't think of a playlist I'd rather not listen to more than that.

Well that's what I'm going into this to find out: whether I enjoy it or not. And, like I said, regardless of whether I enjoy it or not, I do also see this as an educational opportunity.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 08:02:25 AM »

Well that's what I'm going into this to find out: whether I enjoy it or not. And, like I said, regardless of whether I enjoy it or not, I do also see this as an educational opportunity.

And you have no idea how much I respect that.  I've had this conversation with my 15-year-old daughter.   I think there is value and merit in knowing music you don't like.   I was never a huge Hendrix fan at all, I can't usually get past the vocals and I'm not a "noise" guy, but I had the "Essential Jimi Hendrix" for "Little Wing".   About three years ago, I decided to give it a serious listen, and then I had an opportunity to get the three original studio albums in bulk, and I went through them with some detail.    I was blown away, not in how good they were (though they were) but how INFLUENTIAL they were.   Almost every track I heard something that came later.   "Oh, that's Steve Vai!", "Oh, that's Judas Priest!", "Oh, that's Uli Roth!"   I would never even consider Hendrix in my top 15 guitarists before, then I heard that and again, even though he's not my favorite, he is UNDENIABLY in the top five, if not top three, just because of how many people he has directly influenced. 

I made a CD of 20 songs each from Zeppelin, Beatles, Floyd, Elton John, and Genesis for my daughter just to listen to once, so she had a basis to evaluate bands like One Direction, Taylor Swift, etc.