Author Topic: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band  (Read 53314 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« Reply #385 on: September 26, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »
Adrenaline Mob were laughable. Might as well have been called Midlife Crisis Mob.

I Know MP said he left because of scheduling conflicts but I think that was a lie and he realised just how bad they were.

Actually, he was asked to leave.

Unless you have some inside info nobody else has, every interview with various members including MP has said that he quit.  Mp was starting up the Winery Dogs and claimed scheduling conflicts though there is an interview on youtube somewhere where he is pretty noticeably apathetic, I don't know if frustrated is the right word, but not happy playing small clubs. 

There's always more to the story. All I can say is that my best friend, who works in the industry, used to live next door to one of the band members and still keeps in touch. Considering some of the details surrounding the situation, they're quite credible. Now, are there ancillary details? I'm sure of it. There always are.

I won't immediately dismiss your comment.  I just can't imagine why they would ask him to leave unless he made it clear he was going to concentrate on Winery Dogs and they were like, "No, we gotta put all our energy into this."

BTW, LaBrie's EoP is fucking AMAAAAZING.  The compositions are much more simplistic for the most part but the riffs are killer.  It is HEAVY but doesn't have any growling vocals.  Well, James does that kind of scowl voice but it sounds awesome.  The lyrics are also pretty damn good (both Matt's and James's). 

I believe Matt G. said (on this very board) that recording that album was the highlight of his career.  I think they set up a mini studio at James's brothers cottage in Ontario and would just wake up and record, kick back on the lake, and then go record more.  Sounds like heaven. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #386 on: September 26, 2016, 10:12:09 PM »
The first Flying Colors was brilliant. The second one fell mightily short of it, it felt shoehorned in many places, and more like a Morse album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #387 on: September 26, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
The first Flying Colors was brilliant. The second one fell mightily short of it, it felt shoehorned in many places.

I really liked the 2nd one. Minus the first track. I think they're both excellent. I think the overly proggy 1st track, and the lack of Beatles inspired songs kind of turned off some fans though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »
I liked the first one because it had struck new ground musically. Yes, there was the Beatles in it, and there was pop, and singer-songwriter. Nothing either Portnoy or Morse had done before.
The second one was the opposite, it was exactly what you would expect from a Morse-Portnoy project. Proggy, Morsey, preachy. That pleased people who liked Morse's solo stuff, but I found it predictable and dull.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #389 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
I liked the first one because it had struck new ground musically. Yes, there was the Beatles in it, and there was pop, and singer-songwriter. Nothing either Portnoy or Morse had done before.
The second one was the opposite, it was exactly what you would expect from a Morse-Portnoy project. Proggyy, Morsey. That pleased people who liked Morse's solo stuff, but I found it predictable and dull.

I honestly just don't see that it's super Morsey outside of the first track. It gets a bit more prog, but there are plenty of songs that sound like Morse or Portnoy. It didn't cover the same ground as the first album, but I think they had a catch 22 situation. If they just did the first album again, that's bad, and their combined chemistry started showing strong influences from where they naturally come from, which apparently was also bad. I just want good songs. I think the 2nd album gave us plenty of good songs. Whether or not it was brand new, never done before territory, eh, it's not quite as important as just good songs.

And I'm not even a fan of Morse outside of these two albums. Or Transatlantic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #390 on: September 27, 2016, 12:07:25 AM »
My god, just lock the thread already.

And DEFINITELY that! :lol

No wait!  The thread has taken a turn for the better with discussions of JLB's solo material.  :lol

Thank all Bertielee to have shifted the focus towards more musical opinions, albeit a JLB discussion. :metal :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #391 on: September 27, 2016, 05:30:42 AM »
Adrenaline Mob were laughable. Might as well have been called Midlife Crisis Mob.

I Know MP said he left because of scheduling conflicts but I think that was a lie and he realised just how bad they were.

Unless you have some inside info nobody else has, every interview with various members including MP has said that he quit.  Mp was starting up the Winery Dogs and claimed scheduling conflicts though there is an interview on youtube somewhere where he is pretty noticeably apathetic, I don't know if frustrated is the right word, but not happy playing small clubs. 

There's always more to the story. All I can say is that my best friend, who works in the industry, used to live next door to one of the band members and still keeps in touch. Considering some of the details surrounding the situation, they're quite credible. Now, are there ancillary details? I'm sure of it. There always are.

I won't immediately dismiss your comment.  I just can't imagine why they would ask him to leave unless he made it clear he was going to concentrate on Winery Dogs and they were like, "No, we gotta put all our energy into this."

Let's just say someone in the band expressed something along the lines of him being extremely difficult to work with, as far as wanting to have more control over things. That does sound like his MO, so it's completely plausible to think there is more to him leaving than was publicized. Maybe that on top of his side projects was enough to ask him to leave.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #392 on: September 27, 2016, 05:55:06 AM »

Let's just say someone in the band expressed something along the lines of him being extremely difficult to work with, as far as wanting to have more control over things. That does sound like his MO, so it's completely plausible to think there is more to him leaving than was publicized. Maybe that on top of his side projects was enough to ask him to leave.

MP said the same thing about Kevin Moore during the 1st two OSI albums  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #393 on: September 27, 2016, 06:09:28 AM »
 :lol  I remember.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #394 on: September 27, 2016, 06:19:42 AM »

And look what they've managed to accomplish without him!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #395 on: September 27, 2016, 07:17:04 AM »

It was already not much with him in the band. :angel:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #396 on: September 27, 2016, 07:40:35 AM »
The second one was the opposite, it was exactly what you would expect from a Morse-Portnoy project. Proggyy, Morsey. That pleased people who liked Morse's solo stuff, but I found it predictable and dull.

I honestly just don't see that it's super Morsey outside of the first track. It gets a bit more prog, but there are plenty of songs that sound like Morse or Portnoy. It didn't cover the same ground as the first album, but I think they had a catch 22 situation. If they just did the first album again, that's bad, and their combined chemistry started showing strong influences from where they naturally come from, which apparently was also bad. I just want good songs. I think the 2nd album gave us plenty of good songs. Whether or not it was brand new, never done before territory, eh, it's not quite as important as just good songs.

And I'm not even a fan of Morse outside of these two albums. Or Transatlantic.
I agree completely.  The first album is really good, and the second album is also really good, although certainly somewhat different.  And I don't think it is overly Morsey.  I think, if anything, the second album sounds more like what I expected the first album to sound like - a fusion of the best of Neal and Steve Morse, with a lot of Casey thrown in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #397 on: September 27, 2016, 07:54:56 AM »
I'm glad this thread got back on track from the shitfest it was in the last page or two.

I'd really love the opportunity to see MP playing some of this stuff, but I don't think I'll have that chance.  I'm just grateful to have seen TWD' abbreviated set at M3 last year.  Damn good stuff.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »

MP said the same thing about Kevin Moore during the 1st two OSI albums  :lol

And also JP and JR said during the ADTOE that the recording of the album felt more relaxed. So that tells you something. But also, I don't think MP does it on purpose.  I think he puts on his director hat and wants to direct everything around the recording process. But in albums were he was just the session drummer, he did a very good job drumming (Nightmare comes to mind, as well as the first couple of Neal Morse albums).

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #399 on: September 27, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »

Meanwhile I'll add that I overheard someone who was hanging out with the rest of his family at one of the NYC Winery Dogs shows saying that he left because of his other projects and also because Mike Orlando was a PITA to work with. Sounds like these two maybe just clashed too much.

On the more fun topic of discussion in this thread, I've loved both albums from each of The Winery Dogs and Flying Colors. Metal Allegiance made for a really fun live show, and Adrenaline Mob isn't terrible workout music. Looking forward to maybe getting to see him do the 12SS sometime next year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #400 on: September 27, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »
Meanwhile I'll add that I overheard someone who was hanging out with the rest of his family at one of the NYC Winery Dogs shows saying that he left because of his other projects and also because Mike Orlando was a PITA to work with. Sounds like these two maybe just clashed too much.

On the more fun topic of discussion in this thread, I've loved both albums from each of The Winery Dogs and Flying Colors. Metal Allegiance made for a really fun live show, and Adrenaline Mob isn't terrible workout music. Looking forward to maybe getting to see him do the 12SS sometime next year.

So there was obvious tension in the band coming from multiple members. At the end of the day, it's unnecessary drama. 

I was never big on A. Mob's music, but LOVE Flying Colors. I want to say it's his best side project but LTE and Transatlantic are better in my opinion.

Who, A. Mob? Like I mentioned above, I never took to their music so it's six of one, half dozen of the other for me.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #401 on: September 27, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »

:lol

Holy shit!

Didn't Orlando record Portnoy's kids band?

While Mike has made a few appearances here and there with them, it is interesting how Russell Allen was always at the top of Mike's list to work with and a lot of fans dream prog side project, but after Amob it looks like the potential of that is over. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: September 27, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »

John, I always felt that he threatened to leave, and they called his bluff. As soon as he walked out the door, they changed the locks.

Not doubting your source, but my feeling is that if MP was truly "fired", there's no way he doesn't let that slip out on social media.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #403 on: September 27, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »
Portnoy was also a huge source of promotion and probably helped finance the project. I can't imagine they were in a position where they could even ask him to leave.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #404 on: September 27, 2016, 08:42:31 PM »

John, I always felt that he threatened to leave, and they called his bluff. As soon as he walked out the door, they changed the locks.

Not doubting your source, but my feeling is that if MP was truly "fired", there's no way he doesn't let that slip out on social media.

You make a good point. Unless he's just trying to save face because then he has to admit his being a control freak got him fired. I won't claim to be totally right. This could have been the band member's drunken rant. My friend was at his 4th of July bbq. It's an interesting perspective, but it's like someone claiming to know the exact details of the MP/DT split.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #405 on: September 28, 2016, 07:23:12 AM »

Who, A. Mob? Like I mentioned above, I never took to their music so it's six of one, half dozen of the other for me.

Yes, A. Mob. I don't like them either, but there's no denying that Portnoy's the only reason why it ever worked to begin with.

I get why MP is so harshly criticized, but the fact is the guy knows how to promote a band and produce an album. That isn't me saying he produces great albums all the time, it's just me saying that if it weren't for him, a lot of these has-beens or never-shoulda-beens wouldn't even have albums to their names. Would I love for MP to produce a really great album with better musicians? Absolutely. But I can't deny the value he brings to the table.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: September 28, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »

You make a good point. Unless he's just trying to save face because then he has to admit his being a control freak got him fired. I won't claim to be totally right. This could have been the band member's drunken rant. My friend was at his 4th of July bbq. It's an interesting perspective, but it's like someone claiming to know the exact details of the MP/DT split.

What both sides have claimed publicly is that he did go back a short time later, but they told him he was not welcome. They had moved on. Perhaps that is what your friend is referencing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Art

« Reply #407 on: September 28, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
A. Mob was such a waste of MP's and Russell Allen's talent....the only cool thing they did is the Come Undone version...the rest is just boring.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #408 on: September 28, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »

What both sides have claimed publicly is that he did go back a short time later, but they told him he was not welcome. They had moved on. Perhaps that is what your friend is referencing.

Why does that sound familiar?   :lol

A. Mob was such a waste of MP's and Russell Allen's talent....the only cool thing they did is the Come Undone version...the rest is just boring.

Being a big fan of both, you're right. Russell Allen has one of the best voices in metal, so hearing A. Mob was so disappointing.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #409 on: February 13, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
So the cruise finally happened.  Here is a link I found for part of the AA suite.  It does sound a bit off in sections.  Maybe a little obvious because it's not DT but I've heard great covers that sounded dead on.  Overall it was pretty good.  I'll bet it was an awesome cruise.

https://youtu.be/4sgzUl11LFQ

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #410 on: February 13, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
So the cruise finally happened.  Here is a link I found for part of the AA suite.  It does sound a bit off in sections.  Maybe a little obvious because it's not DT but I've heard great covers that sounded dead on.  Overall it was pretty good.  I'll bet it was an awesome cruise.

Already posted there :

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49211.175

B.Lee

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #411 on: February 13, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »

Already posted there :

B.Lee
Ha Ha, I knew there was no way I was the first one to post this.  Thank for pointing me to the right thread!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #412 on: February 13, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »

Already posted there :

B.Lee
Ha Ha, I knew there was no way I was the first one to post this.  Thank for pointing me to the right thread!

No problem there, bro. It happens to me as well... :tup

B.Lee

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2017, 04:32:48 AM »
To avoid confusing duplication, check out the main thread for MP's Shattered Fortress here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49211.175

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.