Author Topic: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band  (Read 53307 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 06:12:18 PM »
* Grabs can of worms

* Opens it

With the right lineup, there's a chance that the songs they play will be better than the "standard performances".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
I would love to hear MP and his group of whomever do this.

I already know what DT sound like playing these songs, both studio and live, so I have that if I don't like what Portnoy does.

My only hope is that McCalpine isn't a part of it. Talented dude, but I just can't handle his tone whatsoever. It's the main reason I couldn't dig the Portnoy, Sherinian, blah blah blah stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 06:48:56 PM »
Should be cool to see them play some songs from The Astonishing.

Just as long as nobody wears an ADTOE shirt to the concert, it should be cool.

:angry: GTFO !!!!!!!!!

*Takes to facebook*

" This was supposed to be a celebration of MY time in Dream Theater - the band *I* nurtured and fed for like 50 years.... and someone comes to MY show wearing a DT Shirt that *I*

didn't play on. ME !!! *I* !!!!! MY  BABY ! 50 YEARS ! MY BAND ! E I MY ME BAND ME I MY MY Y IIIIIIIII "

You mad bro?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »

*Takes to facebook*

" This was supposed to be a celebration of MY time in Dream Theater - the band *I* nurtured and fed for like 50 years.... and someone comes to MY show wearing a DT Shirt that *I*

didn't play on. ME !!! *I* !!!!! MY  BABY ! 50 YEARS ! MY BAND ! E I MY ME BAND ME I MY MY Y IIIIIIIII "

At what point does this break the no bashing band members rule?

Or the flaming other forum members rule for that matter?  :P

* Grabs can of worms

* Opens it

With the right lineup, there's a chance that the songs they play will be better than the "standard performances".
This is true. Would love to hear Russell Allen sing some of these songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »
My only hope is that McCalpine isn't a part of it. Talented dude, but I just can't handle his tone whatsoever. It's the main reason I couldn't dig the Portnoy, Sherinian, blah blah blah stuff.
Agreed. Tony's amazing, but not when performing DT songs - terrible tone for those songs.

*Takes to facebook*

You mad bro?
You mean you expected something different from Cowtowboy?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »
I might be the minority here, but maybe a DT cover band is all I want at this point. A band that's gonna come out and play Pull Me Under, Learning to Live, Voices, The Spirit Caries On, A Change of Seasons, and Octavarium. I might like that better than this band currently doing a musical.

Just my two cents.

I would enjoy that more than Off-Off-Off-Broadway DT, too--just not crazy about the 12 Step Suite except for This Dying Soul and a few other parts here and there. There's also MP's vocals which are likely to be more prominent than ever and probably in new places...

The best part of MP's cover band will be a lead singer who is likely to be in or near his prime, a guitarist who hasn't lost his exquisite tone taste yet, and a keyboardist who isn't bent on injecting goofiness and faux-epicness into every possible moment. It will be tough finding another Korean bassist, though, and it's anyone's guess if MP can fill DT's old drummer's shoes...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 10:19:41 PM »
Does this belong in this thread? Probably not, but it was the best I could find with almost no effort at all.

Ever wondered what it would be like if MP played a Mangini era song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIsVAoEezVw
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2016, 10:42:35 PM »
Sure hope they play "Spaced-Dye Vest".
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2016, 11:20:35 PM »
Does this belong in this thread? Probably not, but it was the best I could find with almost no effort at all.

:lol

Holy crap!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2016, 01:28:52 AM »
I might be the minority here, but maybe a DT cover band is all I want at this point. A band that's gonna come out and play Pull Me Under, Learning to Live, Voices, The Spirit Caries On, A Change of Seasons, and Octavarium. I might like that better than this band currently doing a musical.

Just my two cents.

I think these guys are right up your alley:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC9ww4Z-Qa8

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »
Agreed. Tony's amazing, but not when performing DT songs - terrible tone for those songs.

*Takes to facebook*

You mad bro?
You mean you expected something different from Cowtowboy?

Lolz. My post was clearly a joke.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »
Id imagine you get your wish with the real DT.  It's not like they will be doing the musical forever.  Not sure how a DT cover band with MP is more interesting/better than a normal DT concert which we may not be getting now, but they will go back to it.  I do agree though that when they return toa typical setlist, they need to start playing the songs fans want to see.  I'm not saying they haven't done that either, just saying they need to continue what they did in the previous tour where they played the second half of awake and The Shattered Fortress which was kind of unexpected to see DT play.

Assuming they keep 1.) doing new material and 2.) making that new material the bulk of their setlist, I won't. Unfortunately these days, I'm just not interesting in many of the band's post-Octavarium albums. Sure, a couple of wow'd me at first (like ADTOE), but as time went on I found those to pale in comparison to the first 8 as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2016, 07:23:48 AM »
* Grabs can of worms

* Opens it

Not a huge can. There's tons of great musicians out there.

I'd be thrilled if he put a band together in the DT vein. Maybe he feels enough time and projects has passed to revisit the genre.
The most exciting thing he's done since he left DT was to join Twisted Sister!! (That's called an opinion, people)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2016, 07:52:16 AM »
I'm not remotely interested in what he's been doing ever since he left DT, but I will  be even less interested in a DT cover band with him in it.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2016, 08:48:31 AM »
I hope that this MP cover band will turn to a new prog metal band, with its own music. I think it would be very interesting a new take on prog metal by a band led by MP, bringing different and more modern influences that DT have been done recently.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
I hope that this MP cover band will turn to a new prog metal band, with its own music. I think it would be very interesting a new take on prog metal by a band led by MP, bringing different and more modern influences that DT have been done recently.

I'd be willing to give it a chance. None of his post-DT output has impressed me.  My friend (who absolutely loves post-MP DT) thinks Transatlantic is amazing and I just don't see it.  I'd be interested to hear something more in the vein of DT: a healthy dose of prog with some solid metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »

Seeing this makes me want DT to do a better job with recording,  mixing Mangini so we can hear all the sutilties and sound less machine like.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
I hear their producer is some guitarist...

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »

The problem is not that he is a guitarist, it is that he's not a good producer as far as MM's drums go.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:12:03 PM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »

The problem is not that he is a guitarist, it is that he's not a good producer as far as MM's drums goes.

B.Lee

Yeah exactly. It took them 3 albums to get a decent drum sound, and it's still subpar compared to previous DT albums.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
You guys don't think part of the problem is that there's no longer a drummer advocating for a more prominent drum mix? Take the bass mix--I doubt JP (or MP) just never figured out how to mix bass, and I know the problem is not that JM doesn't know how to dial in a cutting tone with his gear. This isn't even a two guitarist band.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think DT has had a really well-produced album since the '90s (though I favor '90s production values in general), but I think JP is ensuring the guitars and keys dominate. He needs a moderating influence, but is too powerful to have to accept one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:42:52 PM by WheyWaffles »

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
The drum sound could definitely be improved as well as the bass sound that I found too low on TA.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2016, 01:48:09 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't think DT has had a really well-produced album since the '90s (though I favor '90s production values in general), but I think JP is ensuring the guitars and keys dominate. He needs a moderating influence, but is too powerful to have to accept one.

I prefer all the 2001+ DT mixes to the previous ones maybe except SFAM.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2016, 02:21:34 PM »

I prefer all the 2001+ DT mixes to the previous ones maybe except SFAM.

Overall production preferences tend to be generational. I grew up in the '80s/90s, you grew up in the '00s/10s. There's no objective 'best' here, though we can probably agree on some specifics (drums, bass...).

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2016, 05:13:03 PM »
Todd La Torre on vocals.  Just throwing a random guess out there for the sake of guessing.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »
Ever since MP left DT, I kinda hoped he would team up with Marco Sfogli and form a proper prog metal group.  Then add in the bassist and keyboardist from Pagan's Mind, singer from Circus Maximus  ;D

Man that group would be awesome.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 05:33:55 PM by gm5k »

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »
I've been unable to come up with a proper Korean bassist, so I'm going to prescribe a Steve DiGiorgio. To be honest, every band needs a Steve DiGiorgio. If you have a band and don't have one, I suggest you do something about that.

(Yes, he's comfortable with fretted basses, too.)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
I don't think MP can handle an 'extreme modern prog metal' project. He is obviously a great drummer, but I don't think he has the chops to play something to the level of bands like Animals as Leaders, you know? Just remember his performance of Apocalypse 1470 with PSMS. It was good, but he didn't play A LOT of Virigl's subtle drum arrangements because they are just way too insane lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »
Who should replace MP in Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress if they decide to release original modern prog metal material after the cover performances? MP can still sing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »
I don't think MP can handle an 'extreme modern prog metal' project. He is obviously a great drummer, but I don't think he has the chops to play something to the level of bands like Animals as Leaders, you know? Just remember his performance of Apocalypse 1470 with PSMS. It was good, but he didn't play A LOT of Virigl's subtle drum arrangements because they are just way too insane lol.

I concur. I remember, a similar situation, when JP said it was hard for him to play James Hetfield's fast rhythms for an extended length of time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »
Who should replace MP in Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress if they decide to release original modern prog metal material after the cover performances? MP can still sing.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2016, 08:51:50 PM »
Then what is MP to do? Just sit it out and take a licensing fee for the use of his name? Why is everyone always trying to push Mike out???

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2016, 08:53:03 PM »
Huh? I think he reacted to your "MP can sing" comment, not the rest of your comment.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
I know. That's what I was responding to. He isn't good enough to drum and he isn't good enough to sing. Sometimes it just feels like... the whole world is against Mr. Portnoy. :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »
Well, that is not true at all, so I am not sure why you would think that way.   I think just about everyone is fine with his drumming, even if some wish he would practice more and improve his craft.  His singing is another story...