Author Topic: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band  (Read 53312 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2016, 06:30:17 AM »
Ross Jennings of Haken to be the vocalist.  I'm calling it!

Not sure I like this. Ross isn't a very good singer, imo. If you're gonna do a cover band, get a guy that can hit the notes and sing with real power! I fear Ross singing Dream Theater will sound all to familiar to people who've heard the Chaos in Motion DVD.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2016, 06:33:16 AM »
Yep, the guy from Haken does an adequate job in that band (I think he is clearly the weak link there), but he doesn't have the power or natural voice necessary to pull off DT's songs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2016, 06:41:04 AM »
I fail to see how this is a "Cover Band."

He's performing songs he wrote the lyrics for and recorded.

It's not any different than Roger Waters performing The Wall, or any other of his songs he wrote with Pink Floyd. That's not a "cover band."

Fixed that for me. But it is a cover band, even if Mike was crucial to this whole suite of songs. And it's not the same with Roger Waters because he also wrote music, not only lyrics and arrangements.

Exactly this. He wrote the lyrics and recorded drum parts. That's it. So the guys who actually wrote the music (JP and JR) are not involved, hence cover band.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »
A far as I know, MP would have written the vocal melodies for the songs he wrote lyrics to, and he did contribute parts of the music. Obviously nowhere near as much as JP/JR, but he did contribute musically.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2016, 06:52:56 AM »
A far as I know, MP would have written the vocal melodies for the songs he wrote lyrics to, and he did contribute parts of the music. Obviously nowhere near as much as JP/JR, but he did contribute musically.

Plus, we know he is always big with the arrangements which can affect a song just as much as the music within the arrangements.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2016, 06:53:44 AM »
Question: if the band themselves consider all musician's songwriters of a song, then why shouldn't we? Some of you are making weird assumptions on what he contributed to the songwriting process. Isn't it possible that he could have, for example:

- Gotten the initial idea for the song
- Figured out melodies, both vocally and instrumentally
- Gotten ideas for riffs that he had to communicate to the rest of the band

And all this leaves out the more obvious ones, like coming up with lyrics, song melodies and drum parts. I'm not saying he did all that, and I'm certainly not saying he was the most important factor but to say that he suddenly isn't one of the band's songwriters, just a drummer who writes lyrics, just seems weird to me. Like trying really hard to downplay him, just so you have more reason to bitch at him. Stick to his actual quotes, there's more than enough there to take shots at, if need be.

And calling this a cover band definitely seems insulting to me as well.

EDIT: Well, two replies above me pointing it out much simpler than me. There you go.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
Question: if the band themselves consider all musician's songwriters of a song, then why shouldn't we? Some of you are making weird assumptions on what he contributed to the songwriting process.

I'm going off of a bunch of recent interviews with JR where he basically says that the way the band used to credit in regards to songwriting was really deceiving because JP and himself wrote and generated the vast majority of DT's music. He stated TA credits were more accurate to how things have worked since he's been in DT. So, I'm not basing this on my own assumptions, I'm basing it off of direct interviews.

And all this leaves out the more obvious ones, like coming up with lyrics, song melodies and drum parts. I'm not saying he did all that, and I'm certainly not saying he was the most important factor but to say that he suddenly isn't one of the band's songwriters, just a drummer who writes lyrics, just seems weird to me. Like trying really hard to downplay him, just so you have more reason to bitch at him. Stick to his actual quotes, there's more than enough there to take shots at, if need be.

And calling this a cover band definitely seems insulting to me as well.

I'm not trying to downplay his contributions at all, I think MPs work with DT was awesome, I'm a big fan of his work with and without DT. To me, calling this a cover band isn't meant to be insulting, that's just what I see it as. It's not Dream Theater, so it's a band covering Dream Theater's music.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2016, 07:30:43 AM »
Or, literally, it's Mike Portnoy playing some of the songs he was involved with for 7 or 8 dates ever  ;D he said himself it's not a proper band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2016, 07:34:37 AM »

He's performing songs he wrote and recorded.

It's not any different than Roger Waters performing The Wall, or any other of his songs he wrote with Pink Floyd. That's not a "cover band."

Bob Weir and Phil Lesh performing songs they wrote and performed with The Grateful Dead in Ratdog, Scaring The Children, or any other of their side projects aren't considered "cover bands."

I think calling it a cover band is nothing but an insult.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

Of course, half of you will just say I'm standing up for MP because I worked for him for so long.
Not the case.

If he isn't performing as Dream Theater, I think by default it becomes a "cover band" at least IMO.  I doubt anyone means to use that term as demeaning towards MP (although clearly there is a lot of that regardless).

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
You know, I saw the OP and it didn't even hit me that MP would never have called it a cover band.

Wait, what's with the Benjaham Francoln quote? I never pretended to quote MP in the OP. I facetiously declared Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress a cover band. I'm surprised anyone thought for a moment that MP wouldn't have issues with calling it a cover band, even if it's something quite closely resembling one.

At the same time, I don't think it could be fairly construed as an attack on him and I seriously doubt it upset him much if he's seen this thread. I think he expects this sort of thing. "DT fans are going to call it a cover band..." (warning: speculative quote, not counterfeit quote!) I remain a big fan of a lot of his past work as I think most people in this thread do.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:03:24 AM by WheyWaffles »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2016, 08:55:08 AM »
Re Connecting Repentance and The Shattered Fortress: Repentance ends on the same chord that TSF starts on, so I reckon (assuming MP is using the spoken word tracks live) they'd hit that big ending chord and then MP would count off for TSF to start as soon as the last spoken line (the truth is the truth...) comes in.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »
You know, I saw the OP and it didn't even hit me that MP would never have called it a cover band.

Wait, what's with the Benjaham Francoln quote? I never pretended to quote MP in the OP. I facetiously declared Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress a cover band. I'm surprised anyone thought for a moment that MP wouldn't have issues with calling it a cover band, even if it's something quite closely resembling one.

At the same time, I don't think it could be fairly construed as an attack on him and I seriously doubt it upset him much if he's seen this thread. I think he expects this sort of thing. "DT fans are going to call it a cover band..." (warning: speculative quote, not counterfeit quote!) I remain a big fan of a lot of his past work as I think most people in this thread do.

I was just making a joke. Don't be so sensitive or I'll give you one of these.  ;)

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »
I would take a few, but what size are those? They look like they could fill up a submarine base.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
Sorry, I'm not an expert with the tampon sizes. I just know if she pulls one out the size of my arm, it's time to run the other way.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »
There's truly no excuse in our day and age for not knowing about the Kegel exercise...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2016, 01:08:37 PM »
I enjoy watching the Kegel exercise in action, but what does that have you to do with your dirty tampon?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
STAY ON TOPIC ! STAY ON TOPIC ! STAY ON TOPIC ! STAY ON TOPIC !

...Mike Portnoy. Claiming to be Over DT and lying through his passive Aggressive teeth since 2010 !

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »

This.  Thank you.

And, yes, it took every ounce of self-control in my to not say "Stay on the bloody topic!"  But seriously, enough, okay?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
I enjoy watching the Kegel exercise in action, but what does that have you to do with your dirty tampon?

Nothing. The lack of Kegel exercise has everything to do with the size of your gigantic tampons. Stop slacking.

The "bloody" topic... Heheh... Ok, just had to respond to "your dirty tampon". Back on topic:

Is Mike friends with Ted Leonard from Enchant (also Spock's Beard now)? He also sung on the two Thought Chamber albums where he proved he can do some pretty aggressive, powerful stuff. He's very versatile and not far beyond his prime. DT and Enchant did a small tour together way back...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »

He's performing songs he wrote and recorded.

I think calling it a cover band is nothing but an insult.

Simply put, they are playing songs released by a different band. Since this is a one-time thing, they aren't really a "cover band" any more than DT was a cover band when they would perform a whole album by a different band. Regardless of him writing the songs, they were released by DT, on their albums. So he is "covering" their material. I don't consider it insulting, though I do consider it a bit of a misnomer. If they performed regularly, playing solely DT material, then they would become a cover band.

On topic, cool he is doing this, as I am sure there will be an audience for it. But I don't like the mentality that some songs are Band Member X's songs, and others are Band Member Y's songs. If they are on the <Band Name's> album, they are the <Band Name's> songs.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2016, 09:53:58 PM »
I don't care what ANYONE wants to call the band. "Cover band"......"tribute band"....."remembering the good times band"...........All I know is that it will be LIGHT YEARS better than anything DT has done since MP left! :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2016, 10:05:01 PM »

...Mike Portnoy. Claiming to be Over DT and lying through his passive Aggressive teeth since 2010 !

...Kotowboy. Claiming to be over MP and lying through his passive aggressive teeth since 2010!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2016, 10:11:56 PM »

This.  Thank you.

And, yes, it took every ounce of self-control in my to not say "Stay on the bloody topic!"  But seriously, enough, okay?

Hard to be interested in staying on topic when any thread involving MP ends up in the same place around here.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2016, 04:11:54 AM »

...Kotowboy. Claiming to be over MP and lying through his passive aggressive teeth since 2010!

k

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2016, 04:12:44 AM »
I don't care what ANYONE wants to call the band. "Cover band"......"tribute band"....."remembering the good times band"...........All I know is that it will be LIGHT YEARS better than anything DT has done since MP left! :tup

Is that you Portnoy ? : )

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2016, 04:25:43 AM »
I thought it was chaossystem.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2016, 06:28:37 AM »
I'm really excited to see and hear the lineup.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:34:39 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2016, 06:36:56 AM »

lol Mike Portnoy covering some Dream Theater songs is going to be better than A Dramatic Turn of Events? You must be quite confident in this anonymous line-up :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2016, 06:38:27 AM »

lol Mike Portnoy covering some Dream Theater songs is going to be better than A Dramatic Turn of Events? You must be quite confident in this anonymous line-up :corn

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Seems a bit premature since we don't know any of the other participants.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2016, 06:57:45 AM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2016, 10:42:06 AM »
Is Mike friends with Ted Leonard from Enchant (also Spock's Beard now)? He also sung on the two Thought Chamber albums where he proved he can do some pretty aggressive, powerful stuff. He's very versatile and not far beyond his prime. DT and Enchant did a small tour together way back...
I'd be very surprised if Ted ended up being part of the event. Although it could be interesting.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »
I'd be very surprised if Ted ended up being part of the event. Although it could be interesting.

Ted performed Anna Lee with PSMS on PNAS14. He also performed with Mike in Transatlantic on the Kaleidoscope tour. I would not be surprised at all if he's part of this line-up.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2016, 03:54:36 PM »
If MP wanted to push things a little further I'd love to see him get either a female vocalist or perhaps a few different ones throughout the set.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2016, 04:03:29 PM »
I of course entirely understand why MP wants to cover the 12V AA suite, but overall I'm bummed, since IMHO it is like TA, an epic that collapsed under its own weight. If he gets really capable people together, I wished he covered more interesting songs.

And, two thumbs up on the idea of a female vocalist. For all intents and purposes, DT have been writing their vocal melodies for a female singer.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »
I of course entirely understand why MP wants to cover the 12V AA suite, but overall I'm bummed, since IMHO it is like TA, an epic that collapsed under its own weight. If he gets really capable people together, I wished he covered more interesting songs.

And, two thumbs up on the idea of a female vocalist. For all intents and purposes, DT have been writing their vocal melodies for a female singer.

Lzzy Hale on vocals?
fanticide.bandcamp.com