Author Topic: Our New World (feat. Lzzy Hale)  (Read 19429 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Our New World (feat. Lzzy Hale)
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2016, 01:46:39 AM »
I'm not negative about it. I just think it was a silly way to get new fans. I want them to have all the fans. I just can't see bringing in much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2016, 04:46:55 AM »
Me too...

It's just the song would've worked fine as is...

But...I just now realized. It's mainly to showcase Lzzy's vocals  as its main factor.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2016, 05:50:01 AM »
I agree with Petfish...again. I rather enjoyed it.

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2016, 05:58:06 AM »
I liked it.  I really like her voice and it definitely adds something to the song.  It was always a good song, but could be a bit repetitive - she gives it more dynamic.

That being said I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't heard the original version.  I actually think the snipping was well done, but I can't help but hear the original solos...so it's jarring to me.  I found the radio edits for PMU and Misunderstood much more enjoyable, because they were my first introduction to the song (imagine my joy when I discovered the extra parts on the album! - well except the extended backwards guitar solo - but that's a subject for another thread another day)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2016, 10:04:22 PM »
Why do people hate edits so much?  Isn't the whole point to make a song more digestible for people who aren't familiar with the band?  Don't we want more success for Dream Theater?

TL;DR - Edits are a great way to introduce new people to music.

Some edits aren't bad, but every Dream Theater song edit is choppy and beyond amateurish.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »
I agree with the comments about the edit being a bit jarring.  But I only just heard it for the first time this morning after having read the thread all the way through up to this point, so I was prepared going in.  And despite that jarring feeling from knowing what was supposed to be in certain parts and not having those be there, I thought it was actually a pretty good edit.  The solo, for example, despite having some really cool parts removed, still had enough of its structure and highlights that it felt very true to the original.  All in all, I liked it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2016, 10:08:10 AM »
I'm curious about why they did this, I mean, I do like the version. They could have just kept the song as a whole, I don't think editing it was needed, but I just don't understand the point and why they did this. Like I said though, I do like the vocals indeed!

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
I love the song but this version is pointless.  It sounds like Lizzy Hale heard the song once and took a shot at it.  Plus the song itself is barely 4 minutes so the edit is unnecessary.  Hearing this once was enough for me. 
On the other hand, if it gets people to check out DT then it's a win.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »
It's a win whatever.

If it gets the bank more exposure - good.

If DT fans don't like this version - the album version still exists :dunno: - good.

It kinda reminds me of when a band would release an album track as a single but they'd completely re-record it.

then you'd have two versions of the song.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
Yeah, there is no downside to this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
I prefer the girl in Chego's band from the other thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
It's a win whatever.

If it gets the bank more exposure - good.

If DT fans don't like this version - the album version still exists :dunno: - good.

It kinda reminds me of when a band would release an album track as a single but they'd completely re-record it.

then you'd have two versions of the song.

dont you hate the album though?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
dont you hate the album though?

IIRC Kotow loved TA.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »
:lolpalm: When have I ever said I hated The Astonishing ?

I don't think I even *hate* any DT album. I'm not keen on the snare sound on DT12 but that's about it ?

The only DT album I find really over rated is Awake...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »
I prefer the girl in Chego's band from the other thread.

I concur. She was something else.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2016, 12:54:05 AM »
I'm curious about why they did this, I mean, I do like the version. They could have just kept the song as a whole, I don't think editing it was needed, but I just don't understand the point and why they did this. Like I said though, I do like the vocals indeed!

Edits are a great way to take longer/complex songs and making them easier to check out for potential fans.  It's a pretty basic concept that's been around forever.

We only notice it cuz we know the music, but imagine someone who's never heard Dream Theater before and they hear this for the first time and think it's amazing.  Then they check out the real track and it's even better (usually).  We superfans need to step out of ourselves for a moment and try and see what it's like for new listeners.

That's the point of any edit and that's why they did this... to expose their music to new fans.  It's a great thing.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2016, 07:10:12 AM »

I'm hoping it's a tease indicating that when they film this for a dvd/bluray where's that announcement), James will not be singing the female parts.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
I really hope this gets airplay on all the Rock stations in the U.S.   I bet it would be a hit! It is short enough for a good radio edit, and James and Lzzy's vocals really compliment each other. I love it!
It would be a crime for it not to get airplay..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2016, 05:41:05 PM »
I actually think Dream Theater and Halestorm would make a cool co-headline tour, at least here in the states. They could share the stage together for the encore kind of like the DT/Queensryche tour.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »
  They could share the stage together for the encore kind of like the DT/Queensryche tour.
I always thought that was kinda corny.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »

We only notice it cuz we know the music, but imagine someone who's never heard Dream Theater before and they hear this for the first time and think it's amazing.  Then they check out the real track and it's even better (usually).  We superfans need to step out of ourselves for a moment and try and see what it's like for new listeners.

Yes, but normally edits aren't this choppy. I know it's harder because Dream Theater songs are just harder to edit than other bands, but I'd imagine if I'd just discovered this edit I loved it, and bought it and listened to it with headphones, I'd noticed it was edited pretty quick. Once you really pay attention to the music, it shouldn't be hard. I'm referring mainly to the cut at the second verse. The other cuts sound alright, but this one is horrible. I tried to do it myself, and it just can't be done. Too much instrument bleeding. It would have been better to just leave the little solo. It's nice and happy, and shouldn't challenge anyone's attention spans.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2016, 12:03:05 AM »
I don't find this edit any choppier than the video versions of PMU, TTT or Constant Motion. I'm not a fan of edited versions in general, but if the band gets more airplay as a result, more power to them. It's not like the album version has suddenly ceased to exist and you can never listen to it anymore. :P

As for Lzzy's vocals, I haven't heard much Halestorm so I didn't expect such rock-y singing. I like her voice though, and the choruses sound pretty epic. However, I wish they'd re-recorded James' vocals or at least remixed the song so her voice would sit better in the mix.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2016, 05:26:50 AM »
I don't find this edit any choppier than the video versions of PMU, TTT or Constant Motion. I'm not a fan of edited versions in general, but if the band gets more airplay as a result, more power to them. It's not like the album version has suddenly ceased to exist and you can never listen to it anymore. :P

Don't forget Home. That was really bad.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2016, 06:16:43 AM »

Edits are a great way to take longer/complex songs and making them easier to check out for potential fans.  It's a pretty basic concept that's been around forever.

That's the point of any edit and that's why they did this... to expose their music to new fans.  It's a great thing.

Yes, I know what editing is, I'm a composer myself. I probably worded it with confusion. My point about the editing was that it is only a 4 minute piece to begin with so it wasn't really that necessary. I was questioning the thought process of making a second version. I wasn't being critical, just curious. I quite like this version and I do see the exposure angle.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2016, 06:12:02 AM »
I really like it! Made me revisit TA again and I still really like the album. But I don't think Hale fits the role of Faythe. But as a standalone rocker about reforming the world, this version works well.

Offline bhull

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »
Glad to see DT moving outside the box and trying something new.

She is a good vocalist, but seems too metal for the Faythe we got to know on the album and accompanying art work.  In my mind, I was picturing an Amy Lee type voice for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTofvb1xkk

Offline pcs90

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »
I saw all your comments and got really excited. Had to  check it out...

Highly disappointed. The mix sounded bad, her voice didn't match the style of the song, and it killed the extremely powerful energy of the track. The song sounded weak, which the original absolutely DOES NOT. Ultimately, I just thought that it didn't fit the song well, but could have VERY well with a full effort. Oh well, maybe next time...
Agreed. Honestly James sounds way  better on it IMO. And the fact that it's shortened is definitely not cool either...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »
So...

Lzzy Hale will be performing Our New World with DT on a Califas date.

Just posted on their Facebook.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
So...

I'm assuming you mean California.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »
So...

I'm assuming you mean California.

Yeah. It's the Anaheim show.

Pretty interesting

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
Sweet!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »
See, that's something to make sure I get a bootleg of.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »
Wicked! Seeing Dream Theater is always a pleasure by itself, if it had happened to me I'd be over the moon to have another singer I like sharing the stage with James!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
Nice! I love how they are spicing up the end of this tour  :metal

Offline PetFish

« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2016, 10:32:57 PM »
Awesome!!!!! 

I love Lzzy and love the bite-sized edit that some people I'm trying to convert are really digging also.  Hopefully this will be a sign of things to come with a full cast of characters.  Maybe it's even a test to see how it works in a live situation before they go all-in.

However, it makes me so sad to see the stupid replies and comments from people (not here, on Facebook).  Totally rude and uncalled for in every sense.  It's one thing to say "meh, I don't really like her voice", and that's ok, but to take it beyond that and rip into her, DT, and management and then onto the radio edit, sound production, and catering guy is just so immature and ridiculous.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: