Author Topic: Our New World (feat. Lzzy Hale)  (Read 19365 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Our New World (feat. Lzzy Hale)
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
Never understood all the gushing love for this song in the first place, but Lzzy's vocals don't help it, IMO. I'll be the first to say that it's kinda weird having JL sing all the female vocals on the album, but this doesn't feel right either. Maybe it's just her vocals are too metal for what I envisioned from Faythe. Or maybe it's just cuz I'm not a big fan of the song to begin with.

As for it being shorter, the more I think about it, the more I imagine that they're shooting for a hit single and radio airplay. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest bit if they decide to bring Lzzy out on any or all future remaining legs of the tour to cover the female vocals.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
The album version exists and if this song gets the band some massive exposure and attention and increased fanbase then what do I care ?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »
I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Lzzy's voice is great for Fayhte. I see Faythe as a rebellious character which Lzzy's powerful rock voice suits perfectly.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Lzzy's voice is great for Fayhte. I see Faythe as a rebellious character which Lzzy's powerful rock voice suits perfectly.

I agree too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2016, 07:52:37 PM »
It was pretty cool. The editing kind of hurt it, and I wish they would have re-recorded James so it didn't sound like L(i)zzy going into a studio with the master recordings and just going over it.

Her vocals, however, were pretty cool. I get that they likely did this to increase potential airplay and popularity, but this seems like a very strange album to make that push on. It's not like people who like this version of it will be enticed by a 2 hour rock opera.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2016, 10:09:28 PM »
Very jarring edit...

Offline PetFish

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 02:18:39 AM »
HOLY SHAT!

One of my all-time favourite songs with one of my all-time favourite vocalist in a guest spot! Sweet!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:51 AM »
I don't know... why they had to alter every vocal melody? Those were just fine the way James sang them.
I prefer it this way. I honestly find the original not very exciting and a bit anti-climactic. But then I also really dig Lzzy's style, so I like her melodies on this.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2016, 05:41:14 AM »
Very jarring edit...

Yeah when they skip the first solo entirely :|

Sounds so chopped.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 05:42:07 AM »
It was pretty cool. The editing kind of hurt it, and I wish they would have re-recorded James so it didn't sound like L(i)zzy going into a studio with the master recordings and just going over it.

Her vocals, however, were pretty cool. I get that they likely did this to increase potential airplay and popularity, but this seems like a very strange album to make that push on. It's not like people who like this version of it will be enticed by a 2 hour rock opera.

Maybe they'll do what Biffy did with Opposites and if the single is really popular - they'll put out a one disc edit of the album.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
Would this be the first guest vocalist since Doug Pinnick?  I know Theresa Thomason did some vocals too.

I really like the idea.  TA really lends itself to having guest vocalists.  I think it would be fun.  Maybe the edit wasn't so great and not having James redo his vocals with her, but I'm not stuck on that.  Seems more like they are "testing the waters."  I'm pretty sure there is a quite a few DT fans that are completely opposed to ANY guest vocals.  So maybe they just want to see how this goes.

As for her performance, I thought it was good, and I'm very picky about vocals. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »
I'm extremely fussy with Female vocals in particular. I find a LOT of them are more about " check out what I can do with my voice " than " check out this vocal melody ..

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
Not bad even if a little too raspy for Faythe IMO. But the edit is very awkward IMO. As for female vocalists, there are few I like, Ann Wilson being one of those.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
If they were to rerecord the female-based vocals for the whole album I would prefer a less "rocker chick" type of vocalist, but for this (likely) one-off it was fine.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 10:58:39 AM »
Not bad even if a little too raspy for Faythe IMO. But the edit is very awkward IMO. As for female vocalists, there are few I like, Ann Wilson being one of those.

B.Lee

How do we know what's too raspy for Faythe, other than LaBrie's attempt to make her vocals sound feminine?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2016, 11:05:28 AM »

B.Lee

How do we know what's too raspy for Faythe, other than LaBrie's attempt to make her vocals sound feminine?

That's why I said IMO. And, honestly, if JLB sang her parts as he did, it's  because he envisioned her as such. So...

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
:tdwn The original is leaps and bounds better

Yep.  The edits didn't help, but I wasn't a fan of that other singer's voice. All JLB, all the time, please.  :coolio

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »
Not bad, but nothing I am going to go out of my way to listen to again. Not a song I would listen to outside the context of the album anyway.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gm5k

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
Thrilled about this collaboration.  Seems like a great idea for both DT and Hale  :tup

I really miss JP's first shorter solo more than I do the parts cut from the 2nd one.  I find the first one far more enjoyable. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »
Thrilled about this collaboration.  Seems like a great idea for both DT and Hale  :tup

I really miss JP's first shorter solo more than I do the parts cut from the 2nd one.  I find the first one far more enjoyable.

And easier to learn ! :D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
Cool for DT to do, and I really like the idea... just don't think the execution was well done.  The trimming of an already short song and that I don't think her voice is what I imagine Faithe sounding like. At. All.  Sadly.  Also, it sounds like a different mix, the drums sounds different.  Why do all of these other changes and not just add her vocals?  I will say that both her and JLB together did sound pretty awesome though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
Just FYI, to explain why this sounds different:

A record has two separate stages, mixing and mastering. For this version of the song, they had to create a new mixed version to take out James's voice, and add Lzzy's.
I don't think they actually changed the mix otherwise, they just didn't master it afterwards (or only did a very cursory one).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

B.Lee

That's why I said IMO. And, honestly, if JLB sang her parts as he did, it's  because he envisioned her as such. So...

B.Lee

He sang it that way to make it clear she was a feminine voice. Doesn't James sing both smooth and raspy vocals?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2016, 01:58:54 PM »

B.Lee

B.Lee

He sang it that way to make it clear she was a feminine voice. Doesn't James sing both smooth and raspy vocals?

You're right. Might be the picture we have of her that makes it hard for me to imagine her singing with a raspy voice.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:41:24 PM by Bertielee »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
Maybe Faythe smokes like a fucking chimney.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »

For all we know, that may be the best explanation. :hat

B.Lee

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »

It's not a guarantee that smoking like that makes your voice raspy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2016, 04:01:30 PM »

It's not a guarantee that smoking like that makes your voice raspy.

Well Clearly it does for Faythe " 50 a day " Whatever her last name the fuck IS !!!!!!! :angry:

Online Adami

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
Pls Lzzy Hle dsn't smk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »
s wht y dd thr

Offline PetFish

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2016, 09:50:13 PM »
Why do people hate edits so much?  Isn't the whole point to make a song more digestible for people who aren't familiar with the band?  Don't we want more success for Dream Theater?

We're the superfans, the nerds, the musicians, all that good stuff so I get that and we always have the actual version to party with.  So what's wrong with trying to introduce DT to new people?  It sucks to see people complaining about stuff like the mix, the levels, the edit, etc but that's us.  A new listener won't be looking for stuff like that.  I think we should embrace edits like this and take the opportunity to try and introduce new people rather than bash them.

Conspiracy theory suggests some people actually don't want DT to be successful and just keep them in their back pocket and can say "that's *my* band, back off!" and then would accuse them of "selling out" if they got too popular but I think that's a pretty selfish way to think.

How many of us have made mixtapes for others?  Wouldn't that be considered an edit cuz you're picking and choosing what you think the listener will enjoy and represent the band fairly?

Personally, I love edits cuz if I like the song and then hear the 'real' version it's almost always more awesomer than the edit.  I make my own fan edits for the car cuz driving with 8 minutes of ambient sounds taking up half of my drive time stinks.

TL;DR - Edits are a great way to introduce new people to music.

Online Adami

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »
Why do people hate edits so much?  Isn't the whole point to make a song more digestible for people who aren't familiar with the band?  Don't we want more success for Dream Theater?

We're the superfans, the nerds, the musicians, all that good stuff so I get that and we always have the actual version to party with.  So what's wrong with trying to introduce DT to new people?  It sucks to see people complaining about stuff like the mix, the levels, the edit, etc but that's us.  A new listener won't be looking for stuff like that.  I think we should embrace edits like this and take the opportunity to try and introduce new people rather than bash them.

Conspiracy theory suggests some people actually don't want DT to be successful and just keep them in their back pocket and can say "that's *my* band, back off!" and then would accuse them of "selling out" if they got too popular but I think that's a pretty selfish way to think.

How many of us have made mixtapes for others?  Wouldn't that be considered an edit cuz you're picking and choosing what you think the listener will enjoy and represent the band fairly?

Personally, I love edits cuz if I like the song and then hear the 'real' version it's almost always more awesomer than the edit.  I make my own fan edits for the car cuz driving with 8 minutes of ambient sounds taking up half of my drive time stinks.

TL;DR - Edits are a great way to introduce new people to music.

Normally, I'd totally agree with you. But as I pointed out, this is a very strange album to make that choice with.

"Woah hey, what's this 3 and a half minute song featuring Lzzy Hale? I love it! What's that? I should check out their new album? It's a 2 hour rock opera about a dystopia where a jesus metaphor tries to use his voice to free his people from tyranny? And lzzy Hale isn't on the actual album? That sounds right up my ally!"

I just don't see it playing out that way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2016, 11:33:07 PM »
Why do people hate edits so much?  Isn't the whole point to make a song more digestible for people who aren't familiar with the band? 

If people can't spend 8 minutes to listen to Pull Me Under/Metropolis/etc... they 1) need to free up their schedule a bit and 2) probably aren't the target audience of DT. We aren't telling them "Hey, check out this version of the Messiah by Handel, you might like it."

The song is the song as written, recorded and released, I take it as such and don't care to monkey around with any edits. Same reason I don't pick up Reader's Digest to read a novel, or watch a TV/Airplane cut of a feature film.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2016, 11:58:05 PM »
Why do people hate edits so much?  Isn't the whole point to make a song more digestible for people who aren't familiar with the band? 

If people can't spend 8 minutes to listen to Pull Me Under/Metropolis/etc... they 1) need to free up their schedule a bit and 2) probably aren't the target audience of DT. We aren't telling them "Hey, check out this version of the Messiah by Handel, you might like it."

The song is the song as written, recorded and released, I take it as such and don't care to monkey around with any edits. Same reason I don't pick up Reader's Digest to read a novel, or watch a TV/Airplane cut of a feature film.

Yeah but that's you man, not that your experience is probably an anomaly - I'm sure there's tons of people out there that fit that criteria. I don't like the edit personally, I enjoyed hearing a new singer with JLB - but I too, pictured Faythe as, well, something else. But yeah, even if it's silly - I get why they did it. You never know who might bite because 'oh it's 5 seconds shorter' people's attention spans are ass.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2016, 01:25:11 AM »
@Adam & Chris

I hear you guys and I talked about that in my post.  WE are the superfans that "get it" already with Dream Theater.  What I'm saying is that making a simple edit that others can get a taste for is a great thing to do.  Taking a guitar solo from 35 seconds down to 20 or an intro from 16 repeating measures down to 8 doesn't hurt anything to a new listener.  If a new fan likes the vocal or the guitar/keyboard work in an edit then they'll probably love that there's more of it in the full version.

But people just seem to rag on edits cuz they personally don't like them without looking at the bigger picture.  We still have the original version and always will, but let's try and get the music out there for more people to enjoy, isn't that what it's all about?  We want our favourite bands to be successful and have long careers, right?  For that to happen they need to be able to make a living doing it and this is just another way to try and make that happen.

I agree with the whole "checked out the song and liked it and then found out it's a 2-hour rock opera wtf" point, though, but what's the alternative?  Not releasing anything at all cuz it's not representative of the piece as a whole?

I was turned on to Halestorm by Lzzy's guest spot on Adrenaline Mob's cover of "Come Undone" and haven't looked back.  It's also not just about the edit, it's about the guest vocal.  I probably never would have discovered Halestorm if it weren't for her guest vocal and so there you go, a new Halestorm fan here based just on a small vocal spot in the chorus, not even a verse with room to breathe.

TL;DR - Let's be positive about trying to get Dream Theater into the hands of new fans.  We always rip on the popular music industry for being stupid and fluffy so when a small collaboration like this happens let's support it.