Author Topic: The Philosophy Help Thread  (Read 783 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
The Philosophy Help Thread
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:34:24 PM »
Hey guys. I am taking a course on philosophy online for college and I have many questions on it because I am so unfamiliar with it. If you guys can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.  :D

Sorry if there is a thread for philosophy.

Question: The Socratic Method rests on a fundamental presumption, namely that knowledge can be articulated, and can be articulated better than opinion. Those who possess knowledge can articulate it. Opinion, which at best can happen to coincide with truth, like a lucky guess, is not subject to articulation any further than the surface aspect. When questions such as "why is P so?" are put to an opinion holder, even a true opinion holder, the responses gradually start to make no sense, contradictions begin to appear and it becomes obvious that the opinion holder is faking it, even if not deliberately. This was Plato's view and it is a basic presumption of the method. Is the presumption a sound one; a fair one?

My answer was that it is both sound and fair. Those who know facts can articulate the causes of facts --- according to Aristotle. It is very rare that someone who is merely presuming knowledge (a holder of mere, but true, opinion or actually false opinion) runs up against someone who actually knows and has the patience of a Socrates in questioning him/her (the opinion holder) until an actual self contradiction occurs.

Do you guys agree? Disagree? Is opinion much better articulated than knowledge or vice versa?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Philosophy Help Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
I admire people who study philosophy. My mindset on most of it is: who gives a shit? Is any of it going to help me get the door casing installed at my rental house any faster, make my sex life any better, make me predict stocks more accurately? I know philosophy majors will tell me how important it is to study, and I will thank them as they finish bagging my groceries.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Skeever

Re: The Philosophy Help Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »
Scar, I think it's pretty obvious that statements backed up by evidence or some rationale are better than statements of opinion. I did want to respond to this, though:

I admire people who study philosophy. My mindset on most of it is: who gives a shit? Is any of it going to help me get the door casing installed at my rental house any faster, make my sex life any better, make me predict stocks more accurately? I know philosophy majors will tell me how important it is to study, and I will thank them as they finish bagging my groceries.

Rather than defend philosophy, I'll ask if you're happy with the level of public discourse lately? Because I think the low quality of public discussion is indicative of a society that has completely devalued philosophy and the critical thinking skills it promotes in general.

I agree that making philosophy your major is almost always a bad decision, but there's no excuse for the low level of philosophy study at all levels. IMO, we should be studying it in high school, well before most students get acquainted with it as a one and done college GA requirement.