Author Topic: Awwwww Yeah!  (Read 3690 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Awwwww Yeah!
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »

DT returns to St. Louis!!   :metal :metal

First time since 04'. I still am in shock that it's actually happening.....good thing I didn't book a hotel for the Louisville show, I was days away from doing so. It'll be weird not road tripping to see them but I'll take it!!  :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Awwwww Yeah!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:12:20 PM »
Happy for you, gmillerdrake!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
The Peabody Opera house is a really nice venue as well. In 2010 it re-opened after a $79 million dollar renovation, of which the sound and acoustics apparently are top notch. Which means there is the real possibility of ear drums exploding at this show  :lol

My hope is that there is a good showing of fans that packs the place that'll entice both DT to want to play here more frequently and the Peabody folks to want to book them.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »
That's great, Gary!  :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »
Nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »
 :hat

I'll be getting some good ear plugs for this one. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 06:01:48 PM »
 :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:34:29 PM »
Booooooo!!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »
Booooooo!!!

Spoil sport.    ;)       

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
Got my tix. set to go.  :metal     :tup   

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
:hat

I'll be getting some good ear plugs for this one. :lol :lol
Whaaaaaaat?????? Huh?   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »

Me too.

And still 9 rows in front of you, as we discussed earlier via text. :biggrin: :P

Offline idiot0406

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 08:04:48 PM »

DT returns to St. Louis!!   :metal :metal

First time since 04'. I still am in shock that it's actually happening.....good thing I didn't book a hotel for the Louisville show, I was days away from doing so. It'll be weird not road tripping to see them but I'll take it!!  :metal

I'm not bragging, but I locked in 6th row center tickets for the Orlando show  ;)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »

Me too.

And still 9 rows in front of you, as we discussed earlier via text. :biggrin: :P

The only reason I didn't snag seats closer is because my brother requested that we be a bit further back to be able to take in the whole production. I think where we (and you) are is a pretty good zone to be in judging from the pics online of the sight lines and distance.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
Cross check Kev right in his back Gary.  That will teach him to brag. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »
Cross check Kev right in his back Gary.  That will teach him to brag. :lol

Little slash to the calf then a nice two-hander right into the lower back    :lol 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »
Kevin, hockey fans just have to suck it up.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »
DT has been away from Indianapolis since 1995 (I think). But I went to Chicago when they played The Astonishing Live there, and now I will miss the one which is closest to me.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
DT has been away from Indianapolis since 1995 (I think). But I went to Chicago when they played The Astonishing Live there, and now I will miss the one which is closest to me.
Don't miss it, there are still tickets.  I saw them in Chicago too, but this time I'm closer.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 03:33:52 AM »
If a band hadn't come to my town since 2004 and they came again after 12 years and only played their last album in its entirety, I think I would have been a little bit disappointed (regardless if I considered the album the best they've done or not).

Offline gm5k

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 05:48:56 PM »
This makes a second Texas date pretty unlikely, doesn't it?

I feel so lucky that they chose San Antonio of all cities.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 06:24:28 PM »
If a band hadn't come to my town since 2004 and they came again after 12 years and only played their last album in its entirety, I think I would have been a little bit disappointed (regardless if I considered the album the best they've done or not).

It's not ideal.....but I'll take not having to road trip. I'm really hoping for a goo turnout at the awesome venue they are playing so it seeks them out for future dates. And, that DT really likes it as well son they'd add St Louis on to the 'normal' mid west stops.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
Nice!  I am in St. Louis, but I already had 2nd row seats to the Chicago show.  I loved it, but I don't know if I'd see it twice.  If I do decide to go, I'll hit you guys up.  In fact, at the very least I'd still come out to a show pre- or post-game at some local bars just to meet some of y'all.

I told myself the only way I'd see it twice was if they did like a DVD show with the full choir/orchestra.  I'd fly out to the east coast to see that.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »
Two days away. :hat :coolio

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 10:53:27 AM »
Have a great time! Make sure you post the set list..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 12:26:28 PM »
An stl friend of mine asked if he should check out the show. I asked if he liked the new album, he said he never heard it. I told him it was all they were going to play, so he decided to take a pass.

Makes me wonder how many other casual fans passed because of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsbru

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
I actually think I might want to go to this now, even though I've already seen the show...just for the sake of support.  But I don't have anyone to go with.  Nobody in my band likes DT enough to go see them on a Sunday night, and my only other friend here that liked DT moved out of town a few months ago.  Who has a vacant seat near them in the seating chart?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »
Oh! Great news! Maybe the band will start touring a bit more in the south-east in the future! I do hope no-one falls from the stalls this time, though.  :-[

I would point out to a link to a very rare and quirky improvised jam the band played during their last stop in St. Louis as a celebration of sorts, but now that I think of it, I'm not sure about the forum policy about providing links to officially released material, albeit in the form of the rare, out of stock and expensive International Fan Club CDs.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
I'll be there.  I'm pretty pumped.  Mostly because I've always had to travel to KC, Chicago, and actually Atlanta once, to see them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »
I can admit that 'The Astonishing' is not even close to being my favorite DT Album. Not even in the top 7 or 8. I like it, it has some cool moments but the length of it is just tough to take sometimes....that being said

That show was INCREDIBLE!!!!!  :metal    The album does not do any of that music justice...at all. From the opening note to the closing I was literally in awe of how much passion I was watching. Every band member was on point....the naysayers who think Mangini isn't a showman are insane because the dude has his own little show going on the whole time with the way he was playing. Rudess was Rudess.... as well as Myung. Labrie sounded fanstastic and Petrucci proved once again why every guitar player out there falls asleep at night while subtly crying because they aren't him. Dude was unreal.

The production of the show....the musicianship, the entire experience was flat out the best concert I've seen to date. I implore anyone who has mixed feelings on the Album or isn't sure if they want to spend the $$ to see the show to reconsider and to go and see this Live while they can. I guarantee you won't regret it. It honestly was like if you watched you're favorite sport...say football...on a 'regular' TV. Then had a chance to watch it again on an Ultra 4K High Definition television.....It's an entirely different experience. Just listening to the CD doesn't do the Astonishing Justice....you HAVE to see this production!!!!!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 08:22:57 AM »
Glad to see you enjoyed it  :tup I saw the show three times and would happily go again without hesitation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 11:58:47 AM »
I'll echo most of what Gary said.  While not my favorite concert ever, or even my favorite DT concert, it was still pretty freaking awesome. 

The band really was on fire, and except for a handful or so of times when he tried to do too much with a word (which he still loves to do apparently :lol), JLB sounded really good. 

JP's solo at the end of A New Beginning was one of the most absurdly awesome things I've ever witnessed at a rock concert.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The back-to-back of Ravenskill and Chosen was also a major standout for me.

JR's piano playing throughout the album is so melodic and wonderful, and that really came across last night.

What Gary said about Magnini is so true.  He is very energetic back there, almost goofy, ala Alex Lifeson, at times.  At times, you'd see him making eye contact with fans in the crowd and make silly faces or a silly gesture with his free hand (since, ya know, he can play anything with just one hand :lol). Anyone who says he isn't a showman has no idea what they are talking about.

I won't even quibble about the fact that the stage show was pretty underwhelming, considering how much they hyped it up; it was overall a tremendous show and we had a great time. :tup :tup
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:05:53 PM by KevShmev »