Author Topic: Biggest music teases ever  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Biggest music teases ever
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »
Rebecca Black's 'Friday'. That song was a straight shooter with the Billboard top 100 written all over it, then the record label made that cheesy music video. 

/s

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 01:33:35 AM »
-9:50 in Wreath by Opeth - as I just said in the Opeth thread, that acoustic bit is so pretty that it should've been extended
-The solo at the end of Alone by Amorphis - wouldn't necessarily have to be longer, but I wish the song didn't end with a fade-out

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 05:59:22 AM »
Though I love James's performance, guest vocalists would've made The Astonishing a fantastic album instead of a great (disc 1) to good (disc 2) one.

The reason why some masterpieces like, say, Human Equation and Jesus Christ Superstar (and to lesser extent Tommy) work so well (on top of being goodly written music) is due to the interacting performances of a distinct cast (with each voice fitting the role, offcourse). A critique TA often gets is that it is too monotonous (many similar piano ballads, for example) or drags. And I agree, while I generally like the whole album, it is not something I can listen to in one go. Guest vocalists, in my opinion, would've eliminated this completely.

To me, this is a bit frustrating to be honest. I really feel like there is something greater there and they went all out with Campbell yet failed to utilize the full potential of the album by sticking with James only who, again, did a fantastic job. But having one voice just doesn't align very well with their rock opera ambitions.

(needless to say, I am glad with having that cover of Act of Faythe and having the singer of Halestorm on Our New World, though the latter doesn't sound anything like I imagined Faythe).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:05:14 AM by ErHaO »