Author Topic: Biggest music teases ever  (Read 2213 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Biggest music teases ever
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:42:47 PM »
Ones that come to mind:

-The end Goodbye to All That by Marillion, from the Brave record. That last minute is so cool and has such a neat vibe, and instead of doing something more with it, it takes an abrupt turn and goes in Hard as Love, which bores me to tears.

-The 14-minute mark in Yes' The Remembering, from Tales from Topographic Oceans.  This one literally irks me to the point where I never listen to the song anymore because it only reminds me of what could have been.  It's like the whole song was a build-up to what should have been an epic keyboard solo, which we get a sense of for like 10 seconds, before the guitar decides to cut in and take over the lead, and then the section is over just like that to go into another vocal section.  Tales is very much an Anderson/Howe record, and that is obvious right then and there.  Major tease and woefully unsatisfying.

-DT's The Road to Revolution.  Some would put to the end of A New Beginning as the bigger tease but no, for me, it's The Road to Revolution, which is way too short.  That chorus is pure job, yet we only get it once in that song.  I am aware it is heard in other places on the record, but I think that individual track got sold a bit short.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Biggest music teases ever
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
The "Yes I'd have to say I like my privacy" section in Porcupine Tree's Deadwing. Real shame that bit is only used once in the song.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »
The ending of Thin Lizzy's Little Girl in Bloom features one of my favorite guitar solos ever. However, at the very end of the song Eric Bell plays this harmonized triplet lick right as the song starts fading out, and it's one of the coolest things I've ever heard in a song. It's kills me that they faded it out so soon.

Similarly, there's the fadeout on Ozzy's Tonight. I think how gradual and drawn out the fadeout is makes it even worse.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »
Jimi Hendrix
Randy Rhodes
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 05:42:50 PM »
The "Yes I'd have to say I like my privacy" section in Porcupine Tree's Deadwing. Real shame that bit is only used once in the song.

I never realized that section occurs only once in the song. That whole song just flows so well that I don't even notice these things.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »
At this point, The River Empires 6 never recorded and released albums.

The climax in Zero Hour's "Demise and Vestige" doesn't quite fulfill the promise of the crescendo. I still love that song, but I always feel like it could have had a longer climax.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
One of the biggest teases was when they announced the formation of Asia.  The band would feature 2 guys from Yes, 1 from ELP and 1 from King Crimson. The expectations were for some MONSTER prog. What we got on the debut album, while good radio friendly music if taken out of context of who these guys were, was not what most fans expected. To most prog-heads it was a big WTF.

Toto is another. I love this band. Also very radio-friendly and had a chockful of hits. Mixed into their pop-oriented music are a lot of cool unexpected breaks, interludes, intros and outros, interesting ideas that cry out for some extended improv\jamming but instead get interrupted by the chorus or just fade out into nothingness.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 03:29:38 PM »
Great call on Asia.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »

I agree with TAC, this album is just so good all the way through that it leaves you wanting for more
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »

I agree with TAC, this album is just so good all the way through that it leaves you wanting for more

Absolutely.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »

:lol

Umm..that's not quite right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 03:43:33 PM »

Yes it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »

In your face Flanders.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 04:28:53 PM »

There is all sorts of wrong with that.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »
"Before & After" by Rush - that first minute or two has some amazing delicate guitar playing, wonderful melodies, but then it just goes into a usual rock riff and the rest is just simply OK.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
One of the biggest teases was when they announced the formation of Asia.  The band would feature 2 guys from Yes, 1 from ELP and 1 from King Crimson. The expectations were for some MONSTER prog. What we got on the debut album, while good radio friendly music if taken out of context of who these guys were, was not what most fans expected. To most prog-heads it was a big WTF.

in a lot of ways, you could add Storm Corrosion for this same reason.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 01:56:13 AM »
The tantalizing idea of XYZ.....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 02:35:52 AM »
Toto is another. I love this band. Also very radio-friendly and had a chockful of hits. Mixed into their pop-oriented music are a lot of cool unexpected breaks, interludes, intros and outros, interesting ideas that cry out for some extended improv\jamming but instead get interrupted by the chorus or just fade out into nothingness.

Go and see them live, you get a lot of improv/jamming sections.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Art

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 06:31:40 AM »
Definitely the ending to Pantera's Floods. I would love to see where Dimebag could go with that, maybe turn it into another song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5gDjIDNh8

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 06:49:58 AM »
Totally disagree with Asia, but it's a matter of taste.

Totally AGREE with "Tonight" by ozzy; I regularly list that as my biggest (musical) crime against humanity.   Supposedly, there was supposed to be an 'extended' version on the Diary Reissue from a few years back, but a bunch of things got cut at the last minute, and that was one of them. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »
Dann Huff from Giant had a bad habit of really cutting loose on the guitar just as everything was fading out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »

in a lot of ways, you could add Storm Corrosion for this same reason.

Eh, not really.  Neither Wilson nor Akerfeldt are straight prog guys like all of those guys in Asia were prior to its formation, plus I think most reasonable fans knew not to expect monster prog.  Most seemed to have the "should be interesting to see what they do" attitude, rather than "Yay, here comes the prog!"

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 10:49:24 PM »
The Monarch from Delain's new album. Epic 2 minute instrumental intro into 30 seconds of mellow singing and then it's over. Where's the rest of the song?!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 03:28:29 AM »
If it's more about bands and expectations then:

Chickenfoot fell flat although they had very high potential regarding the members.

Storm Corrosion was okay but could have been so much better. (Not necessarily proggier or heavier but just better songs/music)

Page/Plant releasing a very mediocre album (Walking Into Clarksdale) after the (imo) stellar Unledded concert and record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 05:50:26 AM »
For me the biggest teases are pretty much every "supergroup", they always raise my expectations immensely but I don't think there has ever been a supergroup I genuinely enjoyed apart from Waken Eyes (and tbf Marco was the only member of that band I even heard of)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 06:22:48 AM »
Asia is great the way it is. Flying Colors also.
I'd almost say The Astonishing is a tease because I'd like to have like 4 Astonishing parts instead of one double CD. I liked The Astonishing but it could've been even better if some things were explored throughly. But I understand they can't make such commitment this far in career.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 02:04:18 PM »
The 90's

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
-DT's The Road to Revolution.  Some would put to the end of A New Beginning as the bigger tease but no, for me, it's The Road to Revolution, which is way too short.  That chorus is pure job, yet we only get it once in that song.  I am aware it is heard in other places on the record, but I think that individual track got sold a bit short.

To me, the bigger one on that album and the one that immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title is the riff at 2:22-2:2:44 in Ravenskill. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »

To me, the bigger one on that album and the one that immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title is the riff at 2:22-2:2:44 in Ravenskill.

TA is filled with teases.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »

TA is filled with teases.

True.  But the one I posted is the biggest and has been bothering me since the album came out.  ...so much so that this was the rare opportunity that I actually emailed JP about it a few minutes ago to finally get it off my chest.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
Not sure what you're bitchin' about.  ;D
It's at least twice as long as every other tease on the album.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 05:23:05 AM »

+100

I'd add the beginning of A Life Left Behind, when James comes in it's like they went from 5th gear to 1st. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:43 AM »
The Frayed Ends of Sanity. The riff right before the solo is possibly a top ten Metallica riff but they give us 20 seconds of it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »
Definitely the ending to Pantera's Floods. I would love to see where Dimebag could go with that, maybe turn it into another song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5gDjIDNh8

Yup! Floods is a great song but I would've loved to see another song out of the ending of Floods.