Author Topic: Evening shows on the Big 3 cable news channels  (Read 2510 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Evening shows on the Big 3 cable news channels
« on: September 03, 2016, 07:10:04 AM »
Which hosts do you watch?

The only ones I watch with any kind of frequency are Anderson Cooper and Megyn Kelly. 

I used to watch Bill O'Reilly, but he is too angry now and ten times more abrasive than he used to be, if you can imagine that :lol, and his constant cheerleading for Trump, while pretending that he isn't doing that, was the final straw.

I will occasionally turned on Chris Matthews, but his tendency to say totally outrageously offense things on occasion is a bit annoying (like, when talking about the right accusing Hillary of lying to the parents of the deceased in Libya, he said about the parents, "I don't care about them.").

Chris Hayes and Greta Van Susteren are both pretty vanilla and boring as hell.

Rachel Maddow is too snarky and condescending, and her show is too much like a radio show on TV (seems like every time I turn it on, it is her going on a rant for 10 minutes with no guests or anything on).  While obviously different from Rush Limbaugh, it seems like her goal is the same as his: to rile up her audience.

The 10 EST/9 CST hour is the SUCK on all levels. Don Lemon, Sean Hannity and Lawrence O'Donnell are all so god-awful, that I cannot decide which one is worse.

Back to the ones I watch, Kelly often has good guests on, and while she leans right, will always lob tough questions at both sides, instead of throwing softballs to the right and hardballs to the left.  And Cooper has a very calming and classy approach to journalism; he is a true professional in every sense of the word. :tup :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
Re: Evening shows on the Big 3 cable news channels
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 07:29:08 AM »
I really don't like Bill O'Reilly. I feel like he's just a bully. I used to watch Hannity but he can be a bit much. The rest of them don't do much for me, except for Megyn Kelly.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
I don't really watch any of them, but if I was going to choose, I would go with Anderson Cooper. Like you said, he's very professional, he does his job well, and I've found that he will stick to a tough line of questioning even if the guest tries to dodge the issue.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:39 AM »
The only show I like on all three channels is Morning Joe. The evening shows are all terrible, and while Morning Joe isn't great, at least Joe has personality and is miles ahead of all the other morning shows. It's not even close.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:44:50 AM »
That's the only morning show I ever watch, too; I will sometimes turn it on when getting ready for work.

If that were on in the evening, a good drinking game would be "take a shot every time Mika gets that 'someone just farted' face every time Joe says sometimes she totally disagrees with; you'd be drunk really fast.  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
I don't watch any of them.

I used to watch Bill O'Reilly all of the time...10-15 years ago. No issues really just would rather watch sports or something else. Used to watch Hannity & Colmes.
I must say that Hannity is so freaking obnoxious.

Sidebit...My 1st cousin is married to Alan Colmes and my other cousin (her sister) has appeared on many of the Fox shows as a commentator.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:35:04 AM »
Have you met Colmes?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »
No I haven't. I literally haven't seen Monica and Jocylyn since I was 12. We saw them on the Jersey Shore and that was the last time I've ever seen them. Their parents got divorced about that time. They grew up in NJ with their mother, while my uncle lived in Texas.
Their father and my father are brothers.
Monica is 3 days older than me. We're both turning 48 this month.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
Monica Crowley, right?  I knew she was related to Colmes through marriage.  She used to be on O'Reilly all the time (might still be, for all I know).

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
No I haven't. I literally haven't seen Monica and Jocylyn since I was 12. We saw them on the Jersey Shore and that was the last time I've ever seen them. Their parents got divorced about that time. They grew up in NJ with their mother, while my uncle lived in Texas.
Their father and my father are brothers.
Monica is 3 days older than me. We're both turning 48 this month.

You're first cousins with Monica Crowley?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 10:22:09 AM »
Yes, but like I said. It's been ages.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:31:09 AM by TAC »

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »
It's always interesting what you find out about people/family when you do a little digging. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 06:46:31 AM »
I don't watch any of them.

This.  I can find far more imaginative reasons to want to punch myself in the balls than by watching anything that purports to be "news".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
I am usually doing something else in the evenings.  I very rarely tune in to any of these people.

Some I agree with more than others, some I find reprehensible, but none of them are really news shows.  Not really. 

Evening is for watching TV shows or movies, or other activities.  Not for watching blowhards.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
I REALLY don't like the "political personalities", whether they are liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican.   I think watching a Rachel Maddow or a Sean Hannity is a waste of my valuable time.  I can form my own opinions, and I don't need or want them pushing an agenda. 

I do watch the channels though, as I will often put it on in the background if I'm working from home.   

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
blowhards

Wouldn't that fall under "other activities"?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 10:20:37 AM »
Perhaps.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »
blowhards

Wouldn't that fall under "other activities"?

If that's what we're talking about, then I'll watch Fox News 25-8.   They have a show on mid-morning which is basically billed as "One dork with four hotties".   That may even be the official name of the show.  The four women sit there in their tight, mid-thigh dresses and Jimmy Choo's and... uh, I think they talk about stuff or something.  I don't know I keep the sound on "Mute".   :)

(In all fairness, I don't keep it on mute, and while they are all very attractive, they actually do have brains and are rather articulate). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 06:50:15 AM »
So 10-12 years ago, I watched O'Reilly at least 3-4 times a week. I occasionally stayed tuned to Hannity and Colmes, but Hannity to was insufferable and Colmes just came off as wimpy. Never watched Greta at 10.

But on election night, we had Fox on to cover the election. For the past two weeks I've tried to tune in. I still like O'Reilly for the most part. I cannot stand Megyn Kelly, and this week, I've watched Hannity for the last three nights. He has literally had the same opening monolog each night, had the same guests on, and has talked about the same things. It was literally the same show 3 nights in a row.
He is still so overbearing that it's a turn off to watch so much. I can probably tune into Hannity once a week and be all set. For the most part, I like what he says, but it's just too much, man.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 06:55:28 AM »
Fox is king! The prime time trinity!

All the rest isn't Scottish and its crap!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 06:56:17 AM »
None.

That's mainly due to no longer having cable, but even when I did still have it, I began tuning out.

I used to like Hardball with Chris Matthew, but he got just as unbearable to me as Bill O'Reilly. Rachel Maddow got very annoying. I really liked Chris Hayes when he had his Saturday morning show "Up With Chris Hayes", but once he got on nightly, I felt like something was missing. Fox News nightly shows make my blood boil. I probably go to their website more than any other news outlet, but I can't stand seeing Gingrich and Hannity in my living room.

I feel like all of those shows, for both the left and right, are telling me how I need to think and feel, rather than just presenting facts and letting me come to my own conclusions.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »
Last night, Hannity showed a clip of Matthews absolutely wetting his pants when Obama was elected. It was actually pretty funny.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
TAC, no offense, but Monica Crowley looked RAVISHING on election night.  Hard to believe we're the same age (I think I'm a year older, but still).  She does NOT look a day over 46 or 47.  :)   No seriously, she looks ten years younger than her age. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
TAC, no offense, but Monica Crowley looked RAVISHING on election night.  Hard to believe we're the same age (I think I'm a year older, but still).  She does NOT look a day over 46 or 47.  :)   No seriously, she looks ten years younger than her age.

None taken. I actually thought she looked a bit older.   ;D

I haven't tuned into the Fox network in a number of years so it had been a few years since I've seen her on TV. Now I think I've seen her every night this week! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 06:23:41 PM »
I'll never watch O'Reilly again; he is an asshole of the highest order now (even bigger than before).  The way he has ripped Megyn Kelly this week, directly and indirectly, for her having the nerve to speak out against the sexual harassment that was prevalent at Fox for so long, was absolutely despicable.  He should be ashamed of himself, but he's probably in that old boys club of guys who think they can harass women because he has power, so he can piss off.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 06:50:28 PM »
What did he say?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/11/15/bill-o-reilly-suggests-megyn-kelly-is-making-fox-news-look-bad.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

And then last night on his show, he apparently did some tip of the day about people needing to be loyal and talked about Fox.

In other words, he thinks she should just keep her mouth shut and tow the company line.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 05:04:54 AM »
Well of course he's an asshole; that's his primary appeal.

But Hannity is so much of an asshole, that he is even beyond.  Other assholes look at him and say, "What an asshole."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
Bill O'Reilly fucking rules!!! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
No he doesn't. He has said that renewable energy is a waste of time because "nobody can control the climate except God, so give a little extra at mass".

Offline Skeever

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 08:06:20 AM »
I'll never watch O'Reilly again; he is an asshole of the highest order now (even bigger than before).  The way he has ripped Megyn Kelly this week, directly and indirectly, for her having the nerve to speak out against the sexual harassment that was prevalent at Fox for so long, was absolutely despicable.  He should be ashamed of himself, but he's probably in that old boys club of guys who think they can harass women because he has power, so he can piss off.

Normally I'd say you're jumping to conclusions, but his harsh words to Megyn Kelly are especially bad when you consider that this is the same guy who drug his wife down the stairs by the neck in a domestic dispute.

His willful ignorance of harassment at Fox, coupled with his reputation as a wife beater, seals the deal for me. Hate to draw that conclusion about someone, but if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck... it's probably a duck.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline 7th

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »
I switch back and forth between all the cable media networks, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.  When serious news breaks I usually go to fox because I find their coverage more balanced than anyone else.  CNN is pretty much off my list now after their bogus election coverage and the fact they were cheating for Hills during the debates.  I can't lend their organization my viewership.  CNN is basically fake news.  Fox makes some boners too, but they generally own them when called out on it.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »
I switch back and forth between all the cable media networks, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.  When serious news breaks I usually go to fox because I find their coverage more balanced than anyone else.  CNN is pretty much off my list now after their bogus election coverage and the fact they were cheating for Hills during the debates.  I can't lend their organization my viewership.  CNN is basically fake news.  Fox makes some boners too, but they generally own them when called out on it.

Eh, if it's Anderson Cooper, it's fine.  Granted, that is assuming the news breaks in the two hours when he is hosting, but still... :lol

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fox-news-analyst-to-join-trumps-national-security-team/ar-AAlC24u

You must be so proud.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »
My mother will have a heart attack! :lol

I'm not proud or anything really. I just got a kick out of seeing the story. If I ever saw her, I'd give her grief about that picture with Roger Goodell.  ;D