Author Topic: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2016, 08:01:16 AM »
My company has a data center in downtown LA and it's not the nicest area.  I do really like Santa Monica though.  I typically stay in Pasadena when I travel there which also has a really nice downtown area.  There's plenty of nice areas of LA, but I certainly don't like LA for it's "city" environment.
I agree, there are plenty of nice areas but it's become too "city" around here. Every day there seems to be a new building popping up around town which of course causes more delays with traffic and construction...i've learned to just stay in my little 5 mile radius unless I have to venture out.

I feel the same way as you. Where I live it's fairly suburban, but if I start going to other places on the island, there's traffic everywhere. I try not to venture too far off with my car unless I really have to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
My company has a data center in downtown LA and it's not the nicest area.  I do really like Santa Monica though.  I typically stay in Pasadena when I travel there which also has a really nice downtown area.  There's plenty of nice areas of LA, but I certainly don't like LA for it's "city" environment.
I agree, there are plenty of nice areas but it's become too "city" around here. Every day there seems to be a new building popping up around town which of course causes more delays with traffic and construction...i've learned to just stay in my little 5 mile radius unless I have to venture out.

And to get to anything outside that 5 mile radius will likely take an hour to do so  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »

I feel the same way as you. Where I live it's fairly suburban, but if I start going to other places on the island, there's traffic everywhere. I try not to venture too far off with my car unless I really have to.

When we went there, I think I was surprised, as I expected it to be more "big city" and heavy traffic, and it wasn't like that at all.  It was actually pretty nice.

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »

And to get to anything outside that 5 mile radius will likely take an hour to do so  :lol
Exactly right! You literally have to plan out when you want to go somewhere based on the time of day bc of traffic...
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2016, 08:33:23 AM »

When we went there, I think I was surprised, as I expected it to be more "big city" and heavy traffic, and it wasn't like that at all.  It was actually pretty nice.

Staten Island is definitely the most suburban of the boroughs and there are lots of nice areas to check out. Plus it's also referred to as the Borough of Parks so that gives you a hint as to what we have here. It's when you go to the north shore that you're reminded of Brooklyn more.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
Makes sense.  It got a little more tense the closer we got to the ferry terminal.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
Indeed. The neighborhoods get worse, for the most part, as you get closer. It's a shame, too, because most of the oldest architecture is on the north shore.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
We took Victory Blvd from 440 all the way over to the terminal.  And yeah, you could see the gradual worsening of the neighborhoods, the further along we got.  But even then, they weren't THAT bad.  I've definitely been in places I was more concerned with.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »
We took Victory Blvd from 440 all the way over to the terminal.  And yeah, you could see the gradual worsening of the neighborhoods, the further along we got.  But even then, they weren't THAT bad.  I've definitely been in places I was more concerned with.

You could have visited downtown Newark!  :lol

Staten Island isn't so terrible in terms of neighborhoods, it's the traffic that gets me heated when I drove through.  Last weekend I was in an area close to NJ and it was really nice. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »

Agreed. There are plenty of worse neighborhoods around the country.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »

Staten Island isn't so terrible in terms of neighborhoods, it's the traffic that gets me heated when I drove through.  Last weekend I was in an area close to NJ and it was really nice.

Do you remember where you were exactly?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
The big problem with Staten Island is the large number of people with a heroin addiction. There have been quite a few news stories documenting the issue, and it has gotten really depressing. I have seen my fair share of used syringes walking on the beach and it's pretty scary to think about how bad the problem has become over the past few years.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
Alaska

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »
The big problem with Staten Island is the large number of people with a heroin addiction. There have been quite a few news stories documenting the issue, and it has gotten really depressing. I have seen my fair share of used syringes walking on the beach and it's pretty scary to think about how bad the problem has become over the past few years.

It's not a Staten Island problem alone, its a huge problem in NJ and many places around the country.

Off Foster road near the Korean War Vet Parkyway.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
Heroin in CT has become a huge problem. When a bad batch rolls through, the surrounding hospitals run out of Narcan and have trouble sourcing more on such short notice. A few weekends ago, there was something like 16 overdoses in a 3 hour period in New Haven.

Young kids are getting into the stuff too. I read recently of a 15 and a 17 year old getting brought in having OD'd. I can't even fathom that. At 15, weed wasn't even on my radar yet. My biggest concern in life was whether or not my dad would drive me to the Cyber Cafe so I could go play Counter Strike.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2016, 12:36:18 PM »

Haha, that sounds like the description of where your friend says is "some killer bud", or where the news says a Senator was caught in a car with his pants down.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:46 PM »
Is it because I accidently spelled it "parkyway"?  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »

It's not a Staten Island problem alone, its a huge problem in NJ and many places around the country.

That's where my daughter is. I'm just a few minutes from there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »

That's where my daughter is. I'm just a few minutes from there.

Nice, took me about 15 minutes to get home from there.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »
Hoo.

Lived in Wisconsin for most of my life, and the last 10 years in Illinois. Both have their perks and their problems. Chicagoland sucks but at the same time is awesome.

If I could move to another state, I'd probably move to Washington. I have friends and family there, it's never too cold or too hot, I could drive to Canada, and it's just beautiful there.

Another country? Somewhere in Scandinavia. The snow doesn't bother me. Probably Sweden, as that's what most of my ancestry is.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2016, 04:36:31 AM »
Another country? Somewhere in Scandinavia. The snow doesn't bother me. Probably Sweden, as that's what most of my ancestry is.
If you want less or recently no snow at all and surströmming the south is the way to go.
If you wan't snow and surströmming the north is your best bet. Blondes and polarbears are to be expected in both regions.

/King Carl Gustaf
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2016, 06:21:33 AM »
I currently live in Florida and I'm moving to Charlotte whenever our house is finished up there. People can't believe I'm moving because I'm so close to the beach and it seems nice but I'm tired of the heat. It is never ending summer and a couple of cold weeks in February. I've been here all my life and I want to try something new.

A few years ago I almost moved to England, I would have done it had I not met my current girlfriend, I love the country and the history.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
I currently live in Florida and I'm moving to Charlotte whenever our house is finished up there. People can't believe I'm moving because I'm so close to the beach and it seems nice but I'm tired of the heat. It is never ending summer and a couple of cold weeks in February. I've been here all my life and I want to try something new.

A few years ago I almost moved to England, I would have done it had I not met my current girlfriend, I love the country and the history.

Where in FL?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I grew up in Delaware. The homes were very spaced out and on top of that, I had a huge woods with a creek behind my house. It was very chill, and very relaxed. I loved it.

I am currently staying with my grandfather, in the suburbs of Philly on the verge graduating from college. This is where I live and I feel like I am suffocating. House after house after house. All crammed right next to each other

I absolutely can not wait until May when I graduate, so I can move far, far away. Probably either back to Delaware or rural PA

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

I've lived in both places; Charlotte is absolutely beautiful.  It depends on where you live, of course, but the nicest home I've ever lived in was in Waxhaw (about a mile south of the Charlotte City line).   

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I grew up in Delaware. The homes were very spaced out and on top of that, I had a huge woods with a creek behind my house. It was very chill, and very relaxed. I loved it.

I am currently staying with my grandfather, in the suburbs of Philly on the verge graduating from college. This is where I live and I feel like I am suffocating. House after house after house. All crammed right next to each other

I absolutely can not wait until May when I graduate, so I can move far, far away. Probably either back to Delaware or rural PA

Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I've lived in New Zealand (four or five different towns), Germany (two different towns), Taiwan, and Japan. Nowhere's perfect.

I'm moving back to NZ in about six months and have no plans to leave it again, not in the near future, anyway.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone...

You read my mind. That song was in my head as I was making the original post.