Author Topic: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
I WANT TO LIVE IN GREENLAND, IN A BRIGHT COLORED LITTLE HOUSE!  :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tomislav95

Re: If you were going to move to another state (or country), where would you go?
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
Probably Iceland. I've never been there but from movies and pictures I think it's one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Also, I heard Icelanders are friendly people :P
Norway is cool, too.
Also, I'd like to visit Japan but I'm not sure about moving there.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
Iceland is fucking awesome, but it's pretty pricey. But yeah, living in Reykjavik would probably be pretty cool, any other town on Iceland would probably be too small for my tastes though (I think the second biggest town in Iceland has 2000 inhabitants? Fucking nuts).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »
Finland, where two of my online best friends live together.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
I forgot Finland :) language is very weird and hard tho.
Iceland is fucking awesome, but it's pretty pricey. But yeah, living in Reykjavik would probably be pretty cool, any other town on Iceland would probably be too small for my tastes though (I think the second biggest town in Iceland has 2000 inhabitants? Fucking nuts).
Hm, Wikipedia says there are 5 cities with > 10 000 citizens.
I live in pretty small city (8000 people) and I like it far more than capital where I'm in college (800 000 people). But that's just me, I don't like crowded places :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2016, 01:28:02 PM »
New Zealand, definitely.

More realistically, one of the Dakotas, or maybe Montana.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »
Do you even have to ask? :superdude:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »

........Krypton?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
Reykjavik. It's cold, which I like, and absolutely beautiful. I mean it has obvious disadvantages, but I think it'd at least be a nice experiment.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »
Denial?

Offline Cable

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 08:31:47 PM »
With never being anywhere in it; one of the bigger countrie in Europe. I prefer the political systems in place.
---

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »

........Krypton?

They blew up my home... :'( HOW DARE YOU YOU INSENSITIVE JERK
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 05:37:49 AM »
Scotland...without hesitation. I'm looking for the right opportunity to find a place there now, as a 2nd home. Although they don't make it easy on ex-pats.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2016, 12:06:07 AM »
Fun idea for a thread!

I'm living in Finland, but i have entertained the idea of moving to Sweden. Maybe into some of the bigger cities like Stockholm or Göteborg, but some of the smaller towns like Uppsala would be nice too. My Swedish is very rusty though, so i would have to take Swedish lessons before deciding anything. :lol

As for the other places:

Australia would be fun place to visit at least once, but moving there would be very difficult.

I don't know if i'd ever move to the U.S, but if i did it would probably be somewhere in the west coast.

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »
California and specifically Los Angeles. It's like New York City but without the winter or rain for half of the week every week.

I live in LA. It's not worth it here.. too expensive, too much traffic, and too much sun. Although, since it's LA, we do get some good bands coming through pretty often, that's a plus.

I'd prob move north towards WA or AK.. or east to TX. Somewhere I could actually live comfortably on my salary...more for your dollar type thing.
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 12:04:20 PM »
California and specifically Los Angeles. It's like New York City but without the winter or rain for half of the week every week.

I live in LA. It's not worth it here.. too expensive, too much traffic, and too much sun. Although, since it's LA, we do get some good bands coming through pretty often, that's a plus.

I'd prob move north towards WA or AK.. or east to TX. Somewhere I could actually live comfortably on my salary...more for your dollar type thing.

I totally get that. I'm on the opposite side of the country in New York and it's an exercise in futility trying to make a dollar go a long way.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 04:53:03 PM »
Back to my high school home, Burlington VT.  It was an amazing place to grow up and would love to raise my kids there (but keep my house in FL as I am not used to the cold anymore)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 04:55:55 PM »
Plan as of right now is Cozumel, Mexico for retirement in 6yrs and 10 months.... but who's counting  :yarr

As long as we are still Diving.  If not?  Maybe South Carolina.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:04:48 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »

When I said culture, I was thinking more along the lines of people having a big city mentality. Anytime I go to a more rural area, the differences between the locals there and my fellow New Yorkers are jarring. I have never been to LA, but I feel like I would get comfortable very quickly since the big city would be familiar to me. Obviously the culture in NYC is different because there is no other place on the planet like it. I like the thought of living in Los Angeles but the reality is that New York City is my home. Being a New Yorker is more than just living here. It runs deep in the veins and no matter where you are, that fact will never change. The winters suck here but from April to November this city is the greatest place in the universe. I may move to Los Angeles or maybe San Diego eventually but I will never say I'm from anywhere else but New York City.

Now, I'm from LA (Not the city though) and you couldn't pay me to live in downtown LA. Remember, horrible traffic and NO SUBWAY.  A heck of a lot smaller than NYC also.  For a Metro experience, how about Dallas?  I hear good things about that metro area for living.

In this country:  I have a few cities I'd like to visit, but I haven;'t been to many of them to have an opinion.  If I had to choose, Pittsburgh would be my choice.

Abroad:  Either Japan or Germany.  Japan, since I spent a semester there in 2001.  It's had a big impact on my life.  Germany, since I've always wanted to visit, and I also have relatives there.

You like rain and brown snow in the winter?? My wifes from the Burgh, 200+ days of rain or snow a year.

Too much sun???  Seriously, is there such a thing??  Well, WA, at least Western Washington will take care of the sun part for ya!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:09:39 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »
In this country:  I have a few cities I'd like to visit, but I haven;'t been to many of them to have an opinion.  If I had to choose, Pittsburgh would be my choice.

As a Pittsburgh boy, I'd love to hear more on that choice. I think Pittsburgh is amazing and I love it, I just don't hear too many from outside of this area voice a desire to move here.
If Pittsburgh had a better public transit system, I think it would be almost unbeatable. I lived there until very recently, and I loved it. Tons to do, but it's still affordable and has a smaller city feel. I hated driving there, though (not that any major city is fun to drive in).

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2016, 02:08:51 AM »
I heard Pittsburgh is Croatian center in USA. You guys know any Croats?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2016, 05:30:11 AM »
I found their croat of arms. :neverusethis:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2016, 06:47:14 AM »
If Pittsburgh had a better public transit system, I think it would be almost unbeatable. I lived there until very recently, and I loved it. Tons to do, but it's still affordable and has a smaller city feel. I hated driving there, though (not that any major city is fun to drive in).

I agree, they are trying to start the public transit thing with The T, but haven't gotten much further than that.

There are Croatian clubs everywhere in the Pittsburgh area, my dad is a member of one (which means I can get in as his  guest). They are awesome places, every Croatian Club I have been in is clean, pretty well kept, the people all seem reasonable, and I can drink super, SUPER cheap. You're talking like $1 for a beer, $2 for mixed drinks, etc...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2016, 08:10:23 AM »

I'm from Connecticut, and I moved to LA (Burbank) for work back in the early 90's, and I came home in a year.   Santa Claus in short pants?  :(  No bueno.   Plus, while I recognize that every city has their "hipsters", it seems like LA is the worst for that.   Dude, I know you're an actor, and I know you were in an elevator once with Matt Damon, but put down the cell phone and refill my fucking Arnold Palmer, would you kindly?   

I will say this, though:  you never really get tired of pulling up to a stop light and seeing, as happened to me, Jay Leno next to you in one of his Shelby Mustangs, or Tommy Lee on his motorcycle. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2016, 08:16:45 AM »
I spent 7 days in Marina Del Ray a few years ago. That was enough California for me.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »

As a Pittsburgh boy, I'd love to hear more on that choice. I think Pittsburgh is amazing and I love it, I just don't hear too many from outside of this area voice a desire to move here.

I visited the city (with my brother) for a few days when my aunt and her family lived there.  My first impression was awe.  When I entered the Fort Pitt tunnel on the west end, it was a quiet nighttime village setting.  Then when I exited, there was the skyline, bright lights and everything.  It was so unexpected that I almost missed my exit at the end of the bridge  :lol

My aunt took my brother and I around town a little bit for the next few days.  Ate at Primanti Bros.  Went up the Monongahela incline.  Had a great time.  I know it doesn't sound like much to base an opinion off of, but the city left an impression.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »
I spent 7 days in Marina Del Ray a few years ago. That was enough California for me.

MDR is nice but gets so congested with traffic! I live just south of LAX near Redondo Beach so if i can avoid going north, on the other side of LAX, i will.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »

I visited the city (with my brother) for a few days when my aunt and her family lived there.  My first impression was awe.  When I entered the Fort Pitt tunnel on the west end, it was a quiet nighttime village setting.  Then when I exited, there was the skyline, bright lights and everything.  It was so unexpected that I almost missed my exit at the end of the bridge  :lol

My aunt took my brother and I around town a little bit for the next few days.  Ate at Primanti Bros.  Went up the Monongahela incline.  Had a great time.  I know it doesn't sound like much to base an opinion off of, but the city left an impression.

That's awesome. Entering the city through the Fort Pitt tunnel is breathtaking. I've lived within 45 minutes of that view my whole life, and it's still one of my favorites.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
Western PA has tons of people from Croatia and Slovenia, and as mikeyd23 mentioned, there are lots of clubs/bars for each. And you really can't eat and drink cheaper than at those clubs. Some of my closest friends growing up belong to both, so I've had the full experience.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
I spend as little time as possible in LA County.  Im an Orange County dude.  Huntington Beach baby!  Surf City USA!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
My company has a data center in downtown LA and it's not the nicest area.  I do really like Santa Monica though.  I typically stay in Pasadena when I travel there which also has a really nice downtown area.  There's plenty of nice areas of LA, but I certainly don't like LA for it's "city" environment. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2016, 05:57:59 PM »
My company has a data center in downtown LA and it's not the nicest area.  I do really like Santa Monica though.  I typically stay in Pasadena when I travel there which also has a really nice downtown area.  There's plenty of nice areas of LA, but I certainly don't like LA for it's "city" environment.

Oh yea? I live right near Pasadena.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2016, 07:19:33 AM »

Oh yea? I live right near Pasadena.

I've spent many weeks living at the Holiday Inn Express on East Colorado Blvd.  On a few trips my boss would let me expense a night out and I'd Uber downtown and chill at the bars in the area.  There's such a chill vibe down there compared to the muscle heads at the bars in NJ. 

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2016, 07:55:57 AM »
I agree, there are plenty of nice areas but it's become too "city" around here. Every day there seems to be a new building popping up around town which of course causes more delays with traffic and construction...i've learned to just stay in my little 5 mile radius unless I have to venture out.